Delcatty (Revamp) (QC 2/3)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

You've cat to be kitten me

[OVERVIEW]
  • Very mediocre stats
  • It also has some exclusive moves that other Pokemon don't have or don't use in favor of better options
  • Has a good ability in Wonder Skin
  • However it is situational
  • You should look at other Normal-Types first for most things it can do
[SET]
name: CM Baton Pass
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Hyper Voice
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability: Wonder Skin
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Baton Pass because it's a Baton Pass set
  • Calm Mind is what it is passing
  • Hyper Voice lets Delcatty do some kind of damage in some way, damage that is boosted with Calm Mind to make it not completely useless
  • Substitute lets Delcatty pass to team members while assuring you're not toally screwed when something tries to hit you
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Wonder Skin avoids paralysis, Toxic, phazing and Taunt, however it doesn't protect the recipient of Baton Pass
  • Bold to maximize physical bulk while setting up Calm Minds
  • The EV spread lets it outspeed Golem
  • Good team members who would support the Calm Mind boosts include Charizard, Musharna, Exeggutor, Haunter and (special) Samurott love the boosts, all of which except Samurott resist Fighting attacks aimed at Delcatty
  • Skuntank is another good team member as it can trap Misdreavus which can be annoying if Taunt hits.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Normalize Thunder Wave lets it poison Ground-Type Pokemon and other electric-immune Pokemon but it can't hit any Ghost-Type Pokemon if it uses the ability
  • Has a lot of other options, but the majority are out-classed by something else
  • Fake Out is interesting with it's +3 priority, however on the frailest of usable NU (Jynx) it doesn't even 2HKO, and that is with maximum EVs and Life Orb. On the defensive sets Delcatty should be running it does 35-40% but is one-use and Delcatty gets swiftly KO'd by Jynx back. Fake Out and Sucker Punch would be good but Kangaskhan is 100% better at it.
  • The status moves let it cripple walls/attackers and the latter, Thunder Wave, lets it pass it's boosts easier
  • Heal Bell is a good move, bad mon.
  • Fantastic special movepool, bad special attack.

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
  • The niche of Wonder Skin lets it set up on walls, however it doesn't really help if anything attacks it... and it has bad bulk
  • Delcatty has like no offensive presence anyway

Last edited:
I'm not QC, but I think the Parafusion pivot set needs to be taken out. Literally the only think that it has over Liepard is Wish and slightly better bulk (which doesn't matter in the long run as both are frail as F***). Liepard has Prankster, an arguably better typing, STAB foul Play etc. that makes it much better in this role.

EDIT: In OO, you say that Fake out is terrible twice.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
Fake Out and Last Resort is a strategy not the two moves on different sets. People use it all the time, I think it's worth a mention.

As for the pivot set, Liepard also doesn't learn Baton Pass, so Delcatty can grab some momentum quite well. The only similarity is the parafusion, Liepard plays much differently.

As for the pivot set, Liepard also doesn't learn Baton Pass, so Delcatty can grab some momentum quite well. The only similarity is the parafusion, Liepard plays much differently.
Liepard learns U-Turn, which can accomplish the same thing that Baton pass can.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't know for everyone else, but these two sets are really REALLY similar.

Normalize Thunder Wave isn't really helpful in NU to be honest, since most of the Ground-type in the tier are really slow. Because of that, I would ditch Normalize and use Wonder Skin (which is the superior ability imo) on the first set.

As for the second set, it is simply not even worth being used. ParaFusion Delcatty should be OO since it is completly outclassed by any other Parafusion user, like Liepard, Murkrow, and some Rotom-Spin.

In Checks and Counters, you should include Fighting-type like Gurdurr and Sawk, Steel-type like Metang, Musharna, and maybe more.

I'm not qc though, so do anything you want with this.

I think the first set should be the only one on the analysis. Normalize Twave isnt good, but wonder skin is at least not bad. (and im not giving it a joke analysis).

I think a set around abusing Wonder Skin is the way to go, and an analysis showing the flaws in delcatty, because her unique abilities can make her look interesting to newer players, and we want them to know that Delcatty sucks.

maybe a CM baton pass set with wonder skin would work, ive never used delcatty though.

Celever

i am town
I had a CM Baton pass set first of all but everyone on irc told me it was terrible...:(

Also what is the niche of Wonder Skin? It halves the accuracy of Thunder Wave and Spore, that's it...

Edit: Oh thanks melvni I misunderstood that description pretty badly...

Last edited:
Also what is the niche of Wonder Skin? It halves the accuracy of Thunder Wave and Spore, that's it...
Wonder Skin makes all status moves 50% accurate, not just moves that induce status IIRC (and if the on-site description is correct). That includes stuff like Roar, Leech Seed, Taunt, and a bunch of other stuff.

Celever please update this with a set using Wonder Skin, it is simply better than Normalize for Delcatty. I think CM Baton Pass is the best set, because it can actually take advantage of it. But if QC has any other ideas I am really open to them.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Cut the support set, Delcatty doesn't need more than one set.

On the CM Pass set make it:

-Calm Mind
-Baton Pass
-Hyper Voice
-Toxic / Thunder Wave

Wish to OO, every other support move to OO, all of delcatty to OO. Change the nature to Bold, since you want +Def -Atk.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You need teammate mentions for both sets, and please be a bit more specific than mentioning hazard support.

Of note:

- Musharna tanks Fighting-type moves and also helps provide TW support for offensive teams / appreciates the CMs.
- Most partners that resist Fighting-type moves or can tank a neutral attack are good options for the CM pass set. Charizard, Exeggutor (esp since it also appreciates hazard support), Haunter, Samurott, etc.

There are probably others that I can think of later if you're really struggling to come up with some but I'm really tired right now and sort of am just posting this before I go to bed

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since Delcatty is using Wonder Skin, the mentions of it in CC should be removed/changed. Normalize Thunder Wave should go in OO, with a mention that it can paralyze Ground-types and Electric-immune Pokemon, but that it fails to affect Ghost-types with any of its moves should it use the ability.

Celever

i am town
Oh shit I forgot about this.

Thanks for the tag Raseri I'll do everything now.

Edit: K think I'm done, sorry guys! :(

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
Remove:
  • Leftovers for consistent recovery
  • Wonder Skin avoids paralysis and toxic
  • Bold to maximize physical bulk
  • HP EVs for bulk
Wonder Skin doesn't only help you against status, but also against Taunt, Roar, and Whirlwind (Doesn't protect the receiver though), so mention that. Also, you don't need to talk about the EV spread when it's as simple as this one; everyone can see it gives Delcatty as much physical defense as possible. Just mention Delcatty uses a Bold nature to take physical hits better while setting up Calm Mind. I would add Pursuit users as partners, such as Skuntank, since Misdreavus can be a pain if Taunt end up hitting.

Celever implement those changes, and I will check back later :)

Celever

i am town
Edit: Rohail I want to use an excuse of drunk even though I'm too young to drink but we'll just go with that. Clearly I'm too drunk to read. Soulgazer I've also implemented your checks...

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Celever you forgot to add Skuntank as a good partner for Delcatty in AC, as it can trap the Ghost-types that can annoy Delcatty, for exemple Misdreavus, to help do its job easier.

I don't know for everyone else, but that Other Option list is huge... and by that, I mean there's things that are completly not viable, ex: Fake Out + Last Resort, Choice Band, and Choice Specs. I would also put the Fake Out and the Fake Out + Sucker Punch mention together!

Do that, and qc 1/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • Delete the second point, while it's true Delcatty has a wide movepool it can't even make use of it because it's not a good mon.
[SET]
  • Imo the fourth move should be Substitute with Toxic and T-wave in OO. Sub is good for passing to teammates as well as ensuring you're not totally screwed when your opponent brings in an offensive mon to smash you.
  • Make the EV spread 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe to outspeed Golem.
[Other Options]
  • Toxic / T-wave go here.
  • Mention its wide special movepool since it has some decently cool moves in there, but its SpA is way too low to be considered for an offensive set.
  • Heal Bell I guess, it's a good move but Delcatty's a bad mon.
Make these changes Celever , and I'll check back later.

Celever

i am town
[Overview]
  • Delete the second point, while it's true Delcatty has a wide movepool it can't even make use of it because it's not a good mon.
[SET]
  • Imo the fourth move should be Substitute with Toxic and T-wave in OO. Sub is good for passing to teammates as well as ensuring you're not totally screwed when your opponent brings in an offensive mon to smash you.
  • Make the EV spread 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe to outspeed Golem.
[Other Options]
  • Toxic / T-wave go here.
  • Mention its wide special movepool since it has some decently cool moves in there, but its SpA is way too low to be considered for an offensive set.
  • Heal Bell I guess, it's a good move but Delcatty's a bad mon.
Make these changes Celever , and I'll check back later.
Oh jeez I am so sorry.

Anyway done now sorry for being bad at this and stuff ;_;

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
2/3

Though it kinda goes without saying, you need a lot more detail for CC in the write-up. Dragon Tail users + Throh can phaze Delcatty through Wonder Skin, Fighting-types utterly annihilate it, Normal resists + special walls take shit from Hyper Voice, anything that outspeeds it can dent it. Just a few examples to get you started, though you can probably figure some more out yourself. Anyway, you're free to write this Celever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)