Deoxys Attack a Shit

Introduction

Ubers has always been my favorite tier and I played it quite a lot in the DPP era to good results. I took a break from Pokemon for a while and only got interested in playing it again recently. I decided to build a team around Deoxys Attack because I wanted to do something original and because I rarely used Deoxys in Ubers even though hes always been one of my fav Pokes in the tier. The team has been successful despite the fact that Deo A has proven almost useless and to be frank a lot of the times its 5 vs 6.

Team Building

Obligatory Deo A on a Deo A team.

I have an obsession with entry hazards. I try and put spikes on almost every team I build. Ferrothorn sets up spikes quite well while also being an amazing counter to Kyogre which ubers is riddled with.

If you have spikes then you also need a spin blocker. I thought about Ghost Arceus but I didn't think he was versatile enough so I want with Gira-O who provides the team with utility (priority, phazing).

A scarfer and wall breaker were next and I decided on Kyogre and Zekrom. Kyogre's rain also helps to to cover Ferro's fire weakness as an added bonus. Zekrom is a poke I hadn't played with before so I wanted to give him a try.

I toyed with the idea of having Ferro set up both rocks and spikes but I thought it was being overly greed and just a bad idea. I decided Dialga could effectively set up rocks due to his bulk and excellent typing.

At a Glance

Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
Evs: 252 Atk / 252Spd / 4HP
-Extreme Speed
-Superpower
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch

At first I ran a LO set but Deoxys didn't get enough 1 hit kills and a sneeze by the opposing poke would kill Deoxys. I then went to a Specs set and while extremely powerful Deoxys again just proved useless in any games where I was unable to remove scarfers or pokes with priority. I decided to go with a Choice Band set then with priority of my own so that even if Deoxys is outspeed he has priority of his own to hit with. So far this set has proven to be slightly more effective then the Specs one as ESpeed has proven to be a great way of removing weakened pokes and at least gets some kind of use out of Deoxys if hes proven to be useless by the team preview. Also Deoxys is in my lead spot to bluff a FS lead.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy (+SpD, -Spd)
Evs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SpD
-Spikes
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip

Prior to this team I'd never used Ferro on an Ubers team and he has just been utterly amazing. He can just set up spikes on the ever present Kyogre while laughing at any attack Kyogre has. Ferro can also switch into the many dragon types pokes in the tier and also laughs in the face of Lugia. I originally had Gyro Ball instead of protect but I wasn't very happy with the move. Protect allows me to discern if something is choiced and can help stall with Leech Seed. Recently I've been tossing around the idea of putting TWave onto Ferro as he forces so many switches and can help me cripple pokes to make Deoxys life easier along with Zekroms.

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
Evs: 248 Atk / 252 SAtk / 8 SpD
-Draco Meteor
-Shadow Sneak
-Dragon Tail
-Hidden Power Fire

Giratina provides the team with much needed rapid spin blocking but his ability to tear wholes into teams and provide utility is invaluable. Draco Meteor is obligatory due to the sheer power. Shadow Sneak allows me to pick off weakened pokes especially so with spikes and SR up it also has the added bonus of being able to hit Mewtwo hard. Dragon Tail is absolutely terrifying if I predict a switch and have layers of spikes and SR up. HP Fire is to hit steels but because I have Kyogre on the team I'm finding I'm having difficulty finishing off steels effectively with Gira if Kyogre's rain is up. I'm considering switching to Earthquake because of that or maybe even WoW to help deal with Arceus.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

What needs to be said about Kyogre that hasn't been said already? I'm running modest over timid after some testing and its worked out well. Winning the weather war against Groudon is important as the team is reliant on the spikes that Ferro provides. So trying to keep Kyogre alive is important when Groudon is on the other team. It also has to be said that a lot of games are won with Kyogre after spikes and SR are set up. When looking at my opponents team prior to the game if I see that its going to be hard to finish it off with Deoxys then the Kyogre route is often the 2nd option.

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Ability: Terravolt
Lonely (+Atk, -SpD)
Evs: 108 HP, 148 Atk, 252 SAtk, 4 Spd
-Bolt Strike
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Focus Blast

A mixed wall breaking set. He's able to come in on Kyogre counters and due to his ability to hit hard from either side its extremely difficult to switch on him. Bolt Strike, Draco Meteor and Outrage are all powerful stabs that hit almost every poke hard. Focus Blast is there for Ferro which can switch in on Zekrom's stabs. Zekrom has access to Aura Sphere but the power of Focus Blast has proven helpful against taking out Ferro's down (when they don't miss >.>). Despite how strong he is Zekrom has an extremely tough time doing anything some games due to his sub par speed and poor defensive stats. I was considering switching to the sub hone claws set or even the tail wind set but haven't had the time to test either. I've also considered replacing him if those two sets don't work out.

Dialga @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
Evs: 252 HP, 56 SAtk, 200 SpD

-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast

Originally I kind of threw on Dialga on the team cause I was looking for a SR user and I was eager to test the team. Dialga though has definitely earned his spot on the team. He's my lead most of the time after I bluff Deoxys. If I can set up SR and take minimal damage to save him for use later in the game then his job is accomplished. Later on I bring him after spikes have been set up to roar shuffle and because so few things can take down Dialga easily roar shuffling can wreak havoc. Further roar allows me to deal with Arceus variants and other things that want to set up on me. Groudon is an utter pain due to Earthquake being a 1 hit kill so I try and eliminate him as a priority.​

Potential Changes atm
-TWave on Ferro to make Deo more useful along with Zek. I could potentially change Deo set if I do this
-Switching HP Fire to Earthquake or WoW because I'm not getting kills under rain. Switching to EQ would help against Dialga and switching to WoW would help against Arceus
-Switching Zekrom to sub hone claws or even tail whind or switching Zekrom entirely

And thats the team! Honestly winning with Deo A is extremely hard and he feels like dead weight a lot of the time. You can't switch him on anything and you certainly can't leave him in to take hits. If he's slower or beaten out by priority hes again useless. Switching Deo A to something Like EKiller Arceus would make this team a lot better better admittedly but I want to keep him on the team.

You should probably just run Life Orb on Deoxys. If you mispredict he's dead because no bulk. I think his role is to clean up weakened teams because he hits ridiculously hard and Life Orb would help with that because being able to change moves is good. You should run Low Kick instead of Superpower because it hits almost the whole tier for the same amount of damage and doesn't lower his attack stat.

Your Ferrothorn set is fine but I'd run T-Wave isntead of Protect because he forces a lot of switches and Protect is for little girls.

On Giratina I think Earthquake would be a good choice because Hidden Power Fire in the rain is just sad. Personally i'd run Roar over Dragon Tail but that's up to you.

Run Timid on Kyogre because not being able to speed tie base 90 Scarfers is bad.

You could try running a Zekrom with a Choice Band. I'm pretty sure after Ferrothorn takes hazard damage Bolt Strike is a 2HKO. Also it breaks every wall.

Zekrom @ Choice Band Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def or 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Volt Switch

I think that your Dialga set is good.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Run mixed Deoxys-A for more power and Psycho Boost for insane damage, Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn as your team is a bit slow as well as a Careful nature (you can outspeed some things after you paralyze them and Sassy is only good if you want to use Gyro Ball, Pressure on Dialga because Telepathy is useless, and go purely physical on Giratina-O along with a more defensive spread to better check EK Arceus.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 176 Atk / 248 Def / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak

I will add more later I promise :) good team overall

@IAmAnHero

I think I'll try LO Deoxys again if I'm going to try TWave on Ferro. I tried Timid Kyogre but I prefer the damage that Modest provides.

@Blitzlefan

I forgot to switch his nature after I changed gyro ball to protect. Haha no clue why I put telepathy for Dialga's ability there. I have pressure but I think I was thinking about how useless an ability telepathy was when I was writing this up.

I'll try that Gira set, thanks.

If you don't have a poke with Toxic, why did you put protect on ferrothorn ?
I advise you to replace protect by Twave.

Ps: Oh an uber team without Arceus, good !

Maybe you should give this Deoxys set a shot -

Deoxys-A @Life Orb
Pressure/ Lonely
56 Atk/216 SpA/236 Spe
ESpeed
Psycho Boost
Superpower
Shadow Ball

Does the role of a wall breaker and sweeper equally well. Of course, you can use the moves according to preference (try experimenting with elemental punches, Thunder, Ice Beam, etc.) just note that ESpeed and Psycho Boost are pretty much necessities on Deo-A.

Ok, I'm on my IPad right now so I can't do a big rate, but I'll do my best.

You should probably run a LO set on Deoxys-A. Deoxys-A is not meant to be a sweeper or revenge killer. He is a late-game cleaner that can finish off weakened teams. The good thing about Deoxys-A is he can be molded to fit the needs of your team. There is no best LO set for Deoxys-A, it all depends on your team. The set I would recommend is as follows:
Deoxys-A @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Shadow Ball
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed

This set takes advantage of Deoxys huge offensive stats and its access to priority ExtemeSpeed. The combo of Superpower, Shadow Ball, and Psycho Boost provide great coverage and bring a lot of pokes into ExtremeSpeed KO range. The EV spread maximizes Deoxys special attacking potential. Naive nature and max speed EVs let it outrun +1 neutral-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon. There really is no need for a lot of Attack EVs here because an uninvested Superpower still KOs what it needs to.

You should run Earthquake on Giratina-O. HP-Fire is just sad in the rain. Although HP-Fire still deals just a tad more damage to Support Ferrothorn and Support Forry in the rain than EQ does, you can 2HKO SD Steelceus and have a small chance to 2HKO the CM set with EQ.

CM Steelceus: 248+ Atk Giratina-O Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 192-228 (43.34 - 51.46%) -- 6.64% chance to 2HKO

SD Steelceus: 248+ Atk Giratina-O Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Steel: 192-228 (50.39 - 59.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

SD Steelceus: 252 SpA Giratina-O Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Steel in rain: 62-74 (16.27 - 19.42%) -- possible 6HKO

CM Steelceus: 252 SpA Giratina-O Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Steel in rain: 62-74 (13.99 - 16.7%) -- possible 6HKO

Ferro: 252 SpA Giratina-O Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 96-116 (27.27 - 32.95%) -- possible 4HKO

Forry: 252 SpA Giratina-O Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Forretress in rain: 140-168 (39.54 - 47.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Ferro: 248+ Atk Giratina-O Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 90-106 (25.56 - 30.11%) -- possible 4HKO

Forry: 248+ Atk Giratina-O Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Forretress: 85-100 (24.01 - 28.24%) -- possible 5HKO

See? HP Fire does more to Support Forry and Ferro than EQ in even in rain. But, as you can see EQ can 2HKO SD Steelceus and has a slight chance to 2HKO the CM because CM Steelceus usually invest in HP.

Put TWave on Ferro. It causes so many switches and you will be able to cripple common wallbreakers such as Rayquaza. Also on Ferro, there is no need for Sassy nature unless you are running Gyro Ball, so change it to Careful (+SpD -SpA).

Run a Timid nature on your Kyogre because you need to be able to win the speed-tie with other Scarf Kyogres and other Scarf base 90s.

You can try the SubClaws set on Zekrom.
Zekrom @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Hone Claws
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage

This set takes advantage of Zekroms most common check, Ferrothorn. When Ferro comes in on this, you Substitute and then proceed to use Hone Claws and then sweep away. You can use Dragon Claw over Outrage, but Outrage takes full advantage of Zekrom's sky high Attack stat.

Your Dialga set looks solid. Your team has a lot of potential and be really good if you are willing to put in the effort. Anyway, these are just my suggestions.

Thanks for reading,
trixter109

Hi all... I'm a big fan of Deox-A and use it on my Ubers-A team. (On the ladder I usually have a score of mid-to-high 1900s.)

One suggestion I would give would to switch out Superpower for Low Kick. Most pokemon in the tier are heavy enough to do the max 120 BP, so you don't have to loose your Atk/Def like you would from Superpower.

A good set that I would recommend would be:

Deox-A @ Focus Sash

-E-speed
-Thunder
-Low Kick
-Psychoboost

I have a sash on mine and use it as my lead 90% of the time. This set will deal heavy damage to just about any of the usual leads in the tier. (If facing Genesect, I fire off psychoboost to hit the pokemon that switches in. Even if it resists, it'll do decent damage.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)