XY OU Diancie Can Be Good

Hey, so Diancie was just released on Showdown so I decided to give it a shot. First RMT so sorry if it's not the best!

After looking at its horrible movepool I decided to go more offensive than defensive in the moves while making the EV spread more defensive to balance out getting attacked due to it being fairly slow and then getting off a bunch of hits with a base 100 in offensive stats.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock

Other than it having a lacking movepool and not enough HP to back up having these high stats in other areas, I felt as though it was good enough to run in OU (Although if its mega evolution messes up I see it dropping to as low as RU and inbetween UU). I used Diamond Storm way more than Moonblast and may eventually turn into a full physical attacker rather than mixed, but again, its movepool doesn't help me.

Clear Body allows for full advantage of using Diamond Storm as it blocks the Landorus-Therian Intimidate meaning you can bait in the Lando-T and chuck off 30-36% of its HP. Other pokemon it can bait in for you to pull a double switch are most ground type/water type pokemon which allows you to predict things such a quagsire and go out into Charizard-Y to keep momentum up.

Not only does it allow you to bait but you can wall most Dragon type pokemon bar Physical Dragonite and Garchomp etc. Basically any Dragon with EQ! You can also switch into Talonflame and comfortably wall it, along with living a Solar Beam of Mega Charizard Y due to the Special Defence investment.

*edit* Although Rest helped in clutch situations, as I climbed the ladder I noticed the amount of free switches I was letting my opponent get. I swapped it out for Stealth Rock to counter this issue. I also changed the nature so that I didn't lose any defence

(252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Diancie: 164-194 (68 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

I then noticed I had a weakness to a range of types, most of which Rotom-Wash can deal with. It can switch into Steel, Water and Ground type moves targeting the Diancie while also Volt Switching out to increase momentum and also be a great lead.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

I use a standard Choice Scarf set as I believe it can deal a ton of damage while also escaping before other pokemon can touch it. Trick allows you to trap support-mons which have the potential to really devastate this team such as chansey who can stall out many of the pokemon on my team.

Due to it being standard I don't feel as though an explanation more detailed than above is needed. It hits hard and checks/walls a large portion of the OU tier.

I noticed a weakness to grass occurring and also considered the possibility of Mold Breaker Excadrill threatening my team. Although this doesn't wall Exca itself it can Check it nicely by predicting an EQ and then scaring it out with a Fire Type move.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam

I chose Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I had terrible luck with having Air Slash's + Fire Blast's lower accuracy than 100%. Flamethrower in the sun still delivers a hefty chunk to more defensive of pokemon.

All around it's a great special attacker which benefits the star (or gem ;]) of the team, Diancie. It, again, stops Grass attacks in its track and also blocks Ground attacks. However it can also weaken Water attacks with setting up the Sun.

*edit* Changed EV's to allow you to survive more than one switch from max HP (thanks to cassiusYT for the suggestion)

I knew Chari Y would be a vital pokemon in the core of the team so I would need a Defogger/Spinner. Scizor was the best choice in my opinion due to it being nice and bulky while also having the U-Turn to pound on the pressure to my opponents.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- U-turn

Although the sun potentially hurts the Scizor, U-Turn allows you to bait in any possessor of a potential Fire Attack and switch out giving you the upper hand. Bullet Punch with the Technician + STAB + Life Orb boost is deadly due to its priority. Unfortunately it does get walled by every Steel Type but U-Turn allows you to predict the Steel mon and then switch comfortably.

Roost allows you to recover the Life Orb damage while also stalling out in the final stretch of the game when few pokemon are left; it can become a late game sweeper. I run 56 Atk EV's for the very reason of late game sweeping to get an extra few % off my Opponents pokemon.

*edit* I changed out the moveset and Item due to the addition of Latios. Band allows for you to break down physical walls very easily, aswell as applying lots of pressure with the Priority Bullet Punch. I changed the EV spread so that Scizor now has max Attack aswell is a fair amount of Bulk so it can switch in on other moves (Thanks to Awesomeceus for the suggestion)

Landorus doesn't cover any type holes (other than allowing you to stop Electric Attacks) but its move set is standard, yes, but also covers any pokemon I couldn't hit previously with a fairly wide range of types. Psychic for them pesky Mega-Venasaur and Fighting Type Pokemon. Earth Power to hit super, super hard and smacking Aegislash and Heatran in the chin. Focus Blast for Dark Types and Sludge Wave for Fairies.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

It's a very standard set but you can alternate between the moves to force your Opponent to predict as many of the moves hit the same types for a ton of damage. e.g. E Power, Psychic and Sludge Wave all deal similar amounts to Mega Venusaur.

I changed Haxorus for Latios as it can defog while also being more consistent in use; meaning I actually use all 6 pokemon. It also provides another option for breaking down walls while also being speedy enough to fill a HO role.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

I went standard mixed attacker as it helps me deal with Heatran and Bisharp while also countering Chansey and various other pokemon. Defog is necessary for removing Stealth Rock and relieving pressure of switching and also allowing me to use Charizard more than Twice.

I was missing a pure physical attacker as Diancie is mixed and Scizor is supportish. I decided on Haxorus as its movepool allows me to cover any types which potentially wall me. Dnite was a close pick but having Charizard Y in my team, I didn't want to get caught later game when switching is vital.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Facade allows you to switch in on scalds without worrying too much about the burn, questionable move and haven't had much chance to use it. Poison Jab is for any fairy who wants to switch in and EQ is powerful while also being benefited by Mold Breaker. Dragon Claw is STAB and necessary, Outrage is an alternative if you don't mind being trapped in on Fairy Types.
Haxorus is the weakest link in the team and sees the least play, I'm not too sure what to switch it out for and would love some advice on this, I was considering things such as Azumarill.

Version 1

Diancie @ Leftovers
Gentle Nature
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Diamond Storm
- Rest

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Version 2

Diancie @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Diamond Storm
- Rest

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Bug Bite
- U-turn

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-142205400 - Chose this battle due to it showing off what this team is capable of.

Mold Breaker Excadrill is still a problem even after trying to soften the blow. Hidden Power Fire Greninja is a threat so watch out for that and them Ice Beams. Usual Top Tier OU mons are always deadly.

Last edited:
Minor nitpicks = Change Diancie's nature to Sassy for better bulk, gentle gives -def which is much worse than having -speed considering you have no investment. Change Charizards spread to 252 spatk 252 speed 4 spdef because 4 hp evs gives it an even number, so it can only switch in on rocks once. 4 spdef evs (or def) over HP fixes this.

The first big problem I see is your team has no Stealth rocker. As well, 2 mons that give this team huge problems are mold breaker drill and DD dragonite. Scizor is your only drill switchin and its shaky at best, and Scizor cant do much back. DDnite sweeps almost your whole team depending on what moves its using. To fix these problems, id say replace lando-i for pivot lando-t Thanks to intimidate, it can switch in on both drill and dnite, and make them much less of threats for your team. It can also set up rocks. Plus, lando-i is like a wallbreaker and you aleady have CB haxorus for that.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

I would suggest a Calm nature on Diancie because it's a defensive Pokemon and lowering its Defense is a pretty dumb move (no offense). Also, I suggest a Specs Latios in place of Haxorus.

Last edited:
Minor nitpicks = Change Diancie's nature to Sassy for better bulk, gentle gives -def which is much worse than having -speed considering you have no investment. Change Charizards spread to 252 spatk 252 speed 4 spdef because 4 hp evs gives it an even number, so it can only switch in on rocks once. 4 spdef evs (or def) over HP fixes this.

The first big problem I see is your team has no Stealth rocker. As well, 2 mons that give this team huge problems are mold breaker drill and DD dragonite. Scizor is your only drill switchin and its shaky at best, and Scizor cant do much back. DDnite sweeps almost your whole team depending on what moves its using. To fix these problems, id say replace lando-i for pivot lando-t Thanks to intimidate, it can switch in on both drill and dnite, and make them much less of threats for your team. It can also set up rocks. Plus, lando-i is like a wallbreaker and you aleady have CB haxorus for that.

[/hide]
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
[/hide][/quote]

Changing I to T causes him to lose against Stall.

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
I will change the nature of Diancie but switching out Landorus-I for Landorus-T means I lose coverage just for some Stealth Rock Support, maybe I can swap out Haxorus for a Stealth Rocker for the extra support

I would suggest a Calm nature on Diancie because it's a defensive Pokemon and lowering its Defense is a pretty dumb move (no offense). Also, I suggest a Specs Latios in place of Haxorus.
Honestly, I have no idea why I picked Gentle. As for Specs Latios, as great as it is, I feel as though my team would be too specially oriented so things such as Softboiled Chansey can come in and do its shenanigans with no real threat, even if Draco Meteor does about 30%

Honestly, I have no idea why I picked Gentle. As for Specs Latios, as great as it is, I feel as though my team would be too specially oriented so things such as Softboiled Chansey can come in and do its shenanigans with no real threat, even if Draco Meteor does about 30%
Latios has Psyshock though, and mixed versions are starting to pop up on the ladder.

I have to be honest, this team needs A LOT of work......
also, instead of giving sarcastic comments, try to help Redo BlazingFlareon
There's really not much I can do, if I try to rate your team, i'll end up warping it. That's against the rules :(

I recommend visiting the Battling 101 subforums.
I don't know dude, maybe it's my style of play but I can win pretty consistently with this team. It's not as consistent as 2 genies + Lati@s + Chari X core but I feel as though the team as a whole works

Needs something for lati twins because you your diancie takes around 40% from 252 life orb psyshock from latias, Possibly a pursuit trapper to deal with latias and latios for charizard-Y, And scizor is kinda iffy as he probably takes a bit of damage from a draco meteor, in conclusion you could run a assault vest scizor with pursuit? idk

Last edited:
Needs something for lati twins because you your diancie takes around 40% from 252 life orb psyshock from latias, Possibly a pursuit trapper to deal with latias and latios for charizard-Y, And scizor is kinda iffy as he probably takes a bit of damage from a draco meteor, in conclusion you could run a assault vest scizor with pursuit? idk
Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Easily checks the Lati twins while doing a good amount of damage to Heatran.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey yudiop cool team! I myself am also a fan of Diance though I have never gotten it to work properly lol. I have one or two suggestions that I feel will work better for the team! First off, I find Air Slash on Mega Charizard a bit redundant with Flamethrower as they generally hit the same pokemon. I'd suggest running Focus Blast/Earthquake on that slot. Both hit common checks to Mega Charizard hard such as Heatran and Tyranitar, the latter doing more to Heatran allowing an easier time for Flamethrower spam.

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Focus Blast/Earthquake
- Solar Beam

Now with Charizard being able to damage Heatran as well as Tyranitar I feel that your team would be greatly benefited by running Roost on Latios over Earthquake. Roost helps you better deal with opposing Mega Charizard-Y as well as Choice Specs Keldeo which even Rotom-W doesn't appreciate Hydro Pumps from. This also helps you better deal with opposing Landorus-I.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

My final suggestion would be putting Knock Off over Bug Bite on Scizor. Knock Off + Stealth Rock support from Diance help you better deal with those bulkier teams. It also helps you severely damage Aegislash without having to resort to Pursuit. Generally, unless an SD variant, U-turn is the only bug stab you will ever need.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Anyway, that's all i've got! Cool team! I'm excited to see how Diance works for you. Hope i helped! :]

So, I saw that this team is very cute but I think it needs some changes also because I do not like to change too many members in a team. So the first thing; You have decided to base the team on Mega Charizard Y and use as support Diancie, the aim would be to basically get that charizard Y obtains a complete sweep against the opposing team, so the most problematic for mega pokemon charizard Y are Chansey, latios / tias, Heatran, Tyranitar and Azumarill (if there is no sun: v); pokemon and faster as offensive Garchomp, Landorus Scarf-T, etc. Scarf Excadrill.

At this point you have chosen to Lure Heatran with EQ Latios. and kill Chansey, TTar, Latios with Scizor. Diancie offer support as set-up strikers like Charizard X, Dragonite and so on. Scarf Rotom avoids flyng Spam by Pinsir and Talonflame that even if they are not super effective on charizard kill it quite easily.

There remains one last problem, Charizard X is a quiet setup in front of 3 of your Pokemon, Charizard Y, Rotom, Scizor.
Even if you have Diancie do not trust too much because you play under the sun and as you can see: +1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie in Sun: 227-267 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

At this point, my advice is as follows. Change the set of rotom and Latios and make some changes on Charizard Y and Landorus-I, very simple:

Rotom-W:@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
252 Hp / 212 Def / 44 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Hydro pump

With this set you can get Rotom on physical attackers as Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Azumarill, Pinsir, Talonflame which as I said if they take the choice scarf become problematic. The spread in speed allows you to outspeed 252+ Azumarill and Mawile and burn them.

In this way Rotom loses the opportunity, however, to trap Chansey with trick and removing the eviolite.

now Latios.

Latios:@Choice scarf
Nature: Timid
252 Spatk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Defog
-Trick

The task of having Trick and choice scarf to trap some of the stall It's up to Latios: Why? Well Latios as Rotom also attracts chansey towards you with a difference, Latios has a much higher chance of revenge kill many pokemon that kill charizard, as Scarfchomp, and +1 Charizard X.

Latest tips:
Landorus-I: Knock off > Focus Blast/Sludge wave
Charizard Y: Focus blast > Air Slash (Hit strong Ttar and Heatran)
Scizor: Superpower/Bug Bite (Bp are less, but hit more things)

I hope I've helped, GL with your team! ^^

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I can't agree that you should change Rotom-W's set at all.. except maybe add Hidden Power Ice for Garchomp because otherwise nothing in particular really comes in on Garchomp safely and counters. I doubt you'll be seeing a need for Thunderbolt anyway and I'm seeing that luring Heatran is somewhat important for the team given it walls your primary sweeper.

I have to be honest, this team needs A LOT of work......
also, instead of giving sarcastic comments, try to help Redo BlazingFlareon
There's really not much I can do, if I try to rate your team, i'll end up warping it. That's against the rules :(

I recommend visiting the Battling 101 subforums.
Hello there,

Nice team, however I feel like it lacks a point? you have a decent core to start off but the feel of Diance seemed "forced" for lack of a better word, I would suggest that you start with a FWG core, or in this case a FSD core (fairy, steel and dragon) and then build on it. This team also lacks reliable status removal and doesn't have the offensive pressure to put your opponent on the back foot to Justify that. I guess what I'm trying to say it that this team has no identity, it not HO because it can't keep up the pressure, its not stall because there's no staying power and it certainly doesn't fit into a balanced team archetype.

I have to agree with Adrian marin on the fact that there is a lot of work that is needed here. I would suggest you start off by asking yourself what the "point" of the team is. Do you want to build a good Offensive team? Stall? or good Balanced team that can handle most situations. Or If you want to showcase Diancie, then build a team around it and justify why these specific Pokemon are chosen, how do they compliment her weakness and help her achieve her role on this team.

Anyways, I'm not saying that its bad, just that it can use some work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)