Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assault Vest is the biggest waste when you have great support moves like Trick Room and Stealth Rock available. And if you need a specially defensive Fairy-type, there's better options like Togekiss and Sylveon out there who actually have reliable recovery. Sure, I guess it can tank hits from MegaZard Y reasonably well (though Solarbeam still hurts, even with AV) but that's not worth sacrificing SR and TR for imo.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forgot about that. Maybe use weakness policy to allow to sweep.
WP without Priority or Speed boosting moves is a lost cause. If at least it got Rock Polish, it could be considered, but it doesn't.

ATM the AV set looks like the best IMO. If it gets Power Gem then maybe specs could be better.

My bad. Maybe Weakness Policy could be decent then, but I doubt it. Priority is everywhere, after all.
I actually thought about rock polish for some time but then I realized that usually Trick Room should do the job better, unless it screws with the rest of your team

Its utility seems rather small, for how small its offensive pressure is. If you aren't running trick room you're left with very little, namely rocks, Diamond Storm, toxic and protect? I just don't see it working out with that x4 weakness to steel.

Ok, so people always say that Priority controls this metagame but here are the common priority (I'll be using Arcticblasts' as it seems to be the most effective):
240+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 71-86 (23.3 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 110-132 (36.1 - 43.4%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 62-74 (20.3 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 87-105 (28.6 - 34.5%) -- 99.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 52-63 (17.1 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 32-38 (10.5 - 12.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 34-40 (11.1 - 13.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+6 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO (lel)
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 60-71 (19.7 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO

252 Atk Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 160-192 (52.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 51-60 (16.7 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 56-66 (18.4 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 33-39 (10.8 - 12.8%) -- possible 8HKO

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 328-388 (107.8 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 300-352 (98.6 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 228-268 (75 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (phys. defensive)
4 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 252-300 (82.8 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (phys. defensive)

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 80-94 (26.3 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

What priority are you so scared of? For instance, Scizor is OHKOed after it activates WP:
+2 220+ SpA Carbink Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 468-552 (136 - 160.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's like two main Pokemon you are worried about, and I'm feeling Talonflame is a good partner, as it can destroy both of those 'issues'. Unless I missed something, is there any other priority that can effectively make it worry? No priority will OHKO bar Scizor.

giant wall of calcs
While its cool and all that 252/44 Diancie survives priority moves, it also has 50 base speed which means you will not need priority attacks to outspeed and kill Diancie unless it has Rock Polish or something. I would really hope that you don't have to rely on priority to kill something that slow, and if you have Rock Polish I would really hope you are not investing in speed.

For priority moves taking them is not an issue all for anything remotely defensive since that is not hard. The main problem is your sweepers being finished off by them. The existence of a defensive Pokemon on your team cannot prevent this from happening.

This thing just seems pretty bad all around. Even if you are a special attacker you don't even get a STAB move or any recovery whilst being super slow.

While its cool and all that 252/44 Diancie survives priority moves, it also has 50 base speed which means you will not need priority attacks to outspeed and kill Diancie unless it has Rock Polish or something. I would really hope that you don't have to rely on priority to kill something that slow, and if you have Rock Polish I would really hope you are not investing in speed.

For priority moves taking them is not an issue all for anything remotely defensive since that is not hard. The main problem is your sweepers being finished off by them. The existence of a defensive Pokemon on your team cannot prevent this from happening.

This thing just seems pretty bad all around. Even if you are a special attacker you don't even get a STAB move or any recovery whilst being super slow.
Check again, I'm using Arcticblasts, which means you have set up Trick Room beforehand, when they come in, then you kill them after they hit you.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's like two main Pokemon you are worried about, and I'm feeling Talonflame is a good partner, as it can destroy both of those 'issues'. Unless I missed something, is there any other priority that can effectively make it worry? No priority will OHKO bar Scizor.
Azumarill almost always carries Choice Band, so it can 2HKO. But as you said, if you pair it up with Talonflame and maybe something like Venusaur, the AV set can potentially work really well.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Check again, I'm using Arcticblasts, which means you have set up Trick Room beforehand, when they come in, then you kill them after they hit you.
It's 244 HP so your calcs are all off

And with regards to some of said calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 224-270 (74.1 - 89.4%) <-- with the ban of Lucarionite, every Lucario will be SD LO again
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Carbink: 164-194 (54.3 - 64.2%)

Priority users need to be gone so that Diancie can almost fearlessly take massive hits (like Jolly Chomp EQ), activate Weakness Policy, and win the game. If you've taken this absolute maximum hit, you can't have a priority user still around on the other side.

Honestly, none of the set in the OP have satisfied my understanding on how Diancie will work in the metagame. There is only one set Diancie should use and its a good one:

Diancie @ Leftovers | Clear Body
Sassy | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD | 0 Spe
Diamond Storm | Moonblast | Stealth Rock | Hidden Power [Fire]

T
his is the only set Diancie should be using. Calm Mind is easily revnge-killed by common threats like Garchomp and Scizor and all the other sets in the OP are gimmicky and the offensive set doesn't hit that hard. The Specially Defensive set counters a lot of the metagame currently like Lati@s, Mega Charizard X and Y, Talonflame, Alakazam, Conkeldurr, Aegislash (it has 0 Spe, so it can hit it in Blade Form) Terrakion, etc. Here are a list of calcs against PKMN it can easily deal with:

Diamond Storm v. 4 / 0 Mega Charizard X: 67.1 - 79.1%
Moonblast v. 4 / 0 Latios: 62.2 - 74.1%
Diamond Storm v. 252 / 0 Togekiss: 60.1 - 72.1%
Hidden Power [Fire] v. 252 / 0 Mega Scizor: 51.1% - 60.4% - Mega Scizor 2HKOes against +1 Diancie
Moonblast v. 4 / 0 Garchomp: 65.9 - 77.6%

While you might say "these are SE calculations", I want to tell you that Diancie beats 31 of the PKMN in OU currently 1 on 1 with the provided coverage and some of them being really common like Mega Pinsir (assuming it has +1 Def), Mega Charizard XY, and one of the two biggest: Aegislash and Talonflame. If the Diancie has extra time, it can even set-up Stealth Rock making it a good user of it. Diamond Storm is actually a really good move: at +1 or +2 Defense, things like Mega Garchomp in sand wont be able to beat you while you 2HKO most opponents. The Specially Defensive spread is probably the best because Diamond Storm already boosts Defense, so running a physically defensive spread is rather redundant. With a Specially Defensive spread no special attacker in OU can beat you except that stupid Steam Eruption Volcanion that is going to be released soon and Rotom-Wash. Greninja has to deal with Moonblast since it can't switch in safely into Diamond Storm or Moonblast while Hydro Pump fails to OHKO. Clear Body negates Intimidate meaning that Gyarados and Salamence can't troll your Diamond Storm. Diancie is fairly nice in OU.

Diancie will be interesting and Carbink will now be completely useless now (Diancie can run Dual Screens too, but don't use it).

Last edited:
Ok, I know it has been confirmed but officially confirming (now that my Diancie is Level 100) that
Diancie does not get Power Gem at any level, not even from the relearner. ;-;

Even though it's a fucking gem, whatever.

or maybe when the real event officially released it comes with power gem but yeah the fact this thing doesn't have power gem despite it's gem theme is pretty glaring :P

Vertex said:
Diamond Storm v. 4 / 0 Mega Charizard X: 44.9% - 53%
Moonblast v. 4 / 0 Latios: 45.6% - 54.3%
Diamond Storm v. 252 / 0 Togekiss: 40.6% - 40.8%
Hidden Power [Fire] v. 252 / 0 Mega Scizor: 55.8% - 66.2% - Mega Scizor 2HKOes against +1 Diancie
Moonblast v. 4 / 0 Garchomp: 48% - 56.9%
i dunno how you got those calcs but they're wrong.

4 Atk Carbink Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 200-236 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Carbink Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 188-224 (62.2 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Carbink Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 228-270 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Carbink Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 176-208 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Carbink Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 236-278 (65.9 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

carbink = diancie, i just changed attacking stats to 100. i used stone edge because it has the same BP as d-storm.

Honestly, none of the set in the OP have satisfied my understanding on how Diancie will work in the metagame. There is only one set Diancie should use and its a good one:

Diancie @ Leftovers | Clear Body
Sassy | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD | 0 Spe
Diamond Storm | Moonblast | Stealth Rock | Hidden Power [Fire]

T
his is the only set Diancie should be using. Calm Mind is easily revnge-killed by common threats like Garchomp and Scizor and all the other sets in the OP are gimmicky and the offensive set doesn't hit that hard. The Specially Defensive set counters a lot of the metagame currently like Lati@s, Mega Charizard X and Y, Talonflame, Alakazam, Conkeldurr, Aegislash (it has 0 Spe, so it can hit it in Blade Form) Terrakion, etc. Here are a list of calcs against PKMN it can easily deal with:

Diamond Storm v. 4 / 0 Mega Charizard X: 67.1 - 79.1%
Moonblast v. 4 / 0 Latios: 62.2 - 74.1%
Diamond Storm v. 252 / 0 Togekiss: 60.1 - 72.1%
Hidden Power [Fire] v. 252 / 0 Mega Scizor: 51.1% - 60.4% - Mega Scizor 2HKOes against +1 Diancie
Moonblast v. 4 / 0 Garchomp: 65.9 - 77.6%

While you might say "these are SE calculations", I want to tell you that Diancie beats 31 of the PKMN in OU currently 1 on 1 with the provided coverage and some of them being really common like Mega Pinsir (assuming it has +1 Def), Mega Charizard XY, and one of the two biggest: Aegislash and Talonflame. If the Diancie has extra time, it can even set-up Stealth Rock making it a good user of it. Diamond Storm is actually a really good move: at +1 or +2 Defense, things like Mega Garchomp in sand wont be able to beat you while you 2HKO most opponents. The Specially Defensive spread is probably the best because Diamond Storm already boosts Defense, so running a physically defensive spread is rather redundant. With a Specially Defensive spread no special attacker in OU can beat you except that stupid Steam Eruption Volcanion that is going to be released soon and Rotom-Wash. Greninja has to deal with Moonblast since it can't switch in safely into Diamond Storm or Moonblast while Hydro Pump fails to OHKO. Clear Body negates Intimidate meaning that Gyarados and Salamence can't troll your Diamond Storm. Diancie is fairly nice in OU.

Diancie will be interesting and Carbink will now be completely useless now (Diancie can run Dual Screens too, but don't use it).
I will disagree that this is the ONLY set Diancie should run. Assault Vest is a great set, and Diancie works absolutely fabulously physically defensively too. I just listed all of the potentially viable sets I and others could think of in the OP.

I will disagree that this is the ONLY set Diancie should run. Assault Vest is a great set, and Diancie works absolutely fabulously physically defensively too. I just listed all of the potentially viable sets I and others could think of in the OP.
Assault Vest seems pretty interesting due to it being able to check many threats physically and specially, but I disagree that Physically Defensive is a good set. For one, Diancie is pretty much unbreakable at +1 Defense if it gets it from Diamond Storm, so running it with a physically defensive spread is redundant. Mega Pinsir still OHKOes it after Stealth Rock and it prone to many physical attacker like Scizor and Garchomp. It has a weakness to the omni-present Earthquake and Garchomp. For example why run a redundant physically defensive spread? There is only a 6% damage difference in the output and in exchange, you can run a Specially Defensive spread which actually takes advantage of Diamond Storm. A +1 Def with max SpD is really hard to break through especially when you have coverage that hits more than 1/2 of the OU tier super-effectively. Even if it doesn't run a physically defensive spread, it counters everything that it needs to and running a specially defensive spread lets it counter more in addition to that and survive powerful attacks like Life Orb Greninja's Hydro Pump:

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Carbink: 281-330 (92.4 - 108.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Carbink: 218-257 (71.7 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Diancie doesn't counter anything new with a physically defensive spread and doesn't take advantage of Diamond Storm's +1 Defense boosts. The specially defensive spread lets it counter special attackers now while countering that same Physical based pokemon its supposed to come in with ease in summary.

150/150 bulk really does compensate for the 50 base HP, which, as we've seen with Rotom-W, isn't THAT bad. Diamond storm is a FANTASTIC move. There's finally a reliable physical rock move to use! Not to mention, it has the same base power as stone edge. Any set without it is a waste, imho. Anyway, I feel like Diancie could be used as a bulky attacker. With two of the best moves around (Diamond Storm and Moonblast), moves of an increasingly relevant offensive typing (Psychic + Psyshock), and Gyro Ball to use its low speed to its advantage. The main problem with an offensive set is, other than the fact that 100/100 offenses are not great, is that you are basically forced to be mixed, which basically eliminates band/specs. Also, it has nice bulk and bad speed, so life orb is a bit of a waste too. We'll have to wait and see if it's viable. Also, I think a sp. d. set, similar to your first, would be viable, as its weaknesses are evenly spread out among Physical (ground + steel) + Special (water + grass).
Problem is that Rock/Fairy typing is far, FAR worse than Electric/Water with Levitate Problem with Rock/Fairy typing (at least for physical walling) is that Rock typing adds some bad weaknesses and in this case being weak to Earth and Steel attacks is something that Diance doesn't enjoy. Fairy typing on paper makes it good check to physical dragons, problem is that x2 weakness to Earth make her really bad at this job. Carbink is considered really shaky Dragon check and Diance with same defensive stats is technically the same. For example it can't wall stuff like Salamence, Haxorus, Dragonite, etc. as long as they carry Earthquake (which... well, is great coverage move anyway on them).

+ 1 252 Atk Adamant Life Orb Earthquake Haxorus
90.79%-107.24%

+ 1 252 Atk Jolly Life Orb Earthquake Salamence
78.29%-92.11% (33% chance for OHKO with SR up)

So one great niche, which is the ability to check/counter physical dragons is gone. Or if any of those dragons decide to carry Steel move for Fairies, it looks even worse when Diance is x4 weak to steel moves ;). While Fairy typing is in overall good defensive typing, Rock on the other hand is horrible. And lots of other physical stuff like Azumarill, Mamoswine, Lucario, Scizor, etc. beat you as well on physical side. Although she can stop Talonflame (but Talonflame may start running Steel Wing if Diance starts to be popular, so even this niche may be gone) so here's that I guess. And I wouldn't call her that great even at stopping Fighting types, because Rock typing (AGAIN problem) makes her neutral against them. Like for example...

+ 2 252 Atk Adamant Life Orb Close Combat Lucario
88.16%-103.95%

So I really don't understand how people say that she should be able to counter physical threats well, while she unfortunately can't do it in most cases (although some weaker Fighting types and Talonflame are countered, so here's that). If Carbink is considered bad at countering/checking those, I don't see how Diance suddenly would be better at this, unless you hit with Diamond Storm on switch. Problem is that in most cases you'll be the one switching on them and with this slow speed you may not even get a chance to use it. Personally I wouldn't even consider physically defensive set unless you desperately need Talonflame and Conkeldurr check/counter in one. Although in case of Conkeldurr, if he has Guts and is statused Drain Punch deals ok 37,83% - 44,74% damage, which may even end up with 2HKO if you catch her on switch and invest a bit of EVs in Speed to outspeed her. So yeah, I'm not a fan of physically defensive set at all. Rock typing makes is IMO meh at this job. If Carbink is considered gimmicky with Physically Defensive spread, I don't see why it would be different here. Especially when her movepool so far looks really lacking. Maybe that wouldn't be even a problem, but look how she would miss those OHKOes if she had at least 20-30 higher base HP... but unfortunately she doesn't.

Last edited:
Diancie is so beautiful and it will work out amazingly! The only problem with Diancie is the lack of a good recovery move but that's about it! You'll hear no complaint from me especially with Diamond Storm (50% def boost) and Moonblast (30% spatt drop). Has great Trick Room capability, Dual Screens, Calm Mind if you want, and is the ultimate TalonFlame, MegaZards,and most other dragons counter

Problem is that Rock/Fairy typing is far, FAR worse than Electric/Water with Levitate Problem with Rock/Fairy typing (at least for physical walling) is that Rock typing adds some bad weaknesses and in this case being weak to Earth and Steel attacks is something that Diance doesn't enjoy. Fairy typing on paper makes it good check to physical dragons, problem is that x2 weakness to Earth make her really bad at this job. Carbink is considered really shaky Dragon check and Diance with same defensive stats is technically the same. For example it can't wall stuff like Salamence, Haxorus, Dragonite, etc. as long as they carry Earthquake (which... well, is great coverage move anyway on them).

+ 1 252 Atk Adamant Life Orb Earthquake Haxorus
90.79%-107.24%

+ 1 252 Atk Jolly Life Orb Earthquake Salamence
78.29%-92.11% (33% chance for OHKO with SR up)

So one great niche, which is the ability to check/counter physical dragons is gone. Or if any of those dragons decide to carry Steel move for Fairies, it looks even worse when Diance is x4 weak to steel moves ;). While Fairy typing is in overall good defensive typing, Rock on the other hand is horrible. And lots of other physical stuff like Azumarill, Mamoswine, Lucario, Scizor, etc. beat you as well on physical side. Although she can stop Talonflame (but Talonflame may start running Steel Wing if Diance starts to be popular, so even this niche may be gone) so here's that I guess. And I wouldn't call her that great even at stopping Fighting types, because Rock typing (AGAIN problem) makes her neutral against them. Like for example...

+ 2 252 Atk Adamant Life Orb Close Combat Lucario
88.16%-103.95%

So I really don't understand how people say that she should be able to counter physical threats well, while she unfortunately can't do it in most cases (although some weaker Fighting types and Talonflame are countered, so here's that). If Carbink is considered bad at countering/checking those, I don't see how Diance suddenly would be better at this, unless you hit with Diamond Storm on switch. Problem is that in most cases you'll be the one switching on them and with this slow speed you may not even get a chance to use it. Personally I wouldn't even consider physically defensive set unless you desperately need Talonflame and Conkeldurr check/counter in one. Although in case of Conkeldurr, if he has Guts and is statused Drain Punch deals ok 37,83% - 44,74% damage, which may even end up with 2HKO if you catch her on switch and invest a bit of EVs in Speed to outspeed her. So yeah, I'm not a fan of physically defensive set at all. Rock typing makes is IMO meh at this job. If Carbink is considered gimmicky with Physically Defensive spread, I don't see why it would be different here. Especially when her movepool so far looks really lacking. Maybe that wouldn't be even a problem, but look how she would miss those OHKOes if she had at least 20-30 higher base HP... but unfortunately she doesn't.
Okay I won't argue that being 4x weak to Steel and 2x weak to Water, Grass, and Ground does suck but this is "why you have 5 other pokemon." Furthermore, the point of Diancie countering Dragons is coming in on the predicted immune hit and then going from there with the situation. The player is the one who has to know when to switch and not switch in Diancie. Also you are making a boosted assumption (while not wrong lets go with base hits first); but sure...Diancie isnt taking Earthquakes, and Steel hits, or a Hydropump/Surf from most things. But like I said this is why you have 5 other pokes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)