ORAS OU DiancieDreigon HO

Before I begin with the actual RMT, I would like to make a disclaimer. Now that I have gotten back into competitive pokemon and building, I would like to post some teams for the community's use (maybe once a week or so). Feel free to rate with suggestions, but I will be styling this RMT more towards the strategy and synergy rather than the specific reasoning for the moves (most of the sets are fairly standard anyways). Please let me know mods if there is a better place to post this, or if I must change the descriptions.

This team is exactly like the name might suggest. It features pokemon that aren't necessarily to common in the current meta: Mega-Diancie and Hydreigon and their entourage.

TEAM OVERVIEW:
719.gif
635.gif
462.gif
184.gif
645-therian.gif
385.gif

Mega-Diancie is seen a lot less than it should be. Perhaps with all the scizor's and megagross running around it might not be as popular, but it still has a niche in the current metagame.

IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
719.gif

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect
Magic Bounce is a godsend of an ability to have in this meta as it keeps out hazards and unwanted status. I chose ancient power over diamond storm as it allows me to go fully special without needing to invest in atk. Furthermore it allows me to 2HKO defensive skarm after rocks, something which diamond storm can't do. While the same thing could be accomplished with hp fire, being able to speed tie with the lati's and mega metagross can have a huge effect.

252 SpA Mega Diancie Ancient Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 153-181 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

635.gif

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Roost
Standard LO hydreigon with dual stab and flamethrower to beat steel types besides heatran. Roost helps counter the life orb damage as well as allowing hydreigon to switch in on water moves repetitively

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 380-452 (107.9 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

462.gif

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Magnezone is my best way of dealing with scizor, as otherwise it causes lots of problems for diancie. Also helps out with ferrothorn and skarmory. 240 with a timid nature allows me to outspeed thundurus and adamant talon, while max speed doesn't help me outspeed anything extra. Other wise standard scarf zone set.

184.gif

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower
I chose azu for its strong priority and its great typing. Provides a soft switch in to scald and a good fairy type. Superpower is to nail ferrothorns that might try and switch in, or any lopunny that might stay in. 168 speed is to creep on standard belly drum azu's. Unfortunately this becomes my check to BD azu if it gets to +6 as hydreigon is unable to deal any significant damage to it. 88 hp allows me to live jolly lopunny's fake out + return from full.

645-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
Scarf Lando is a good backup scarfer as zone gets outsped by the like of tornadus, weavile, lopunny, etc. 220 speed allows me to outspeed nuetral max speed base 100's like adamant scarf rachi. The remaining 36 ev's dumped into defense to bolster its hit taking capability. Knock off is to hit the likes of lati's and gengar without needing to risk stone edge.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish/Fire Punch/Thunder/Wish
Jirachi is the glue of this team, being my only reliable switch in to the lati twins and most fairy types. Also provides stealth rock, provided that my opponent doesn't get them up for me. 112 speed is to creep on tank chomps, with the rest dumped into spdef. Has about a 50% chance of living LO gengar focus blast + shadow ball. U-turn makes it a good pivot. Last move is a filler. I've been experimenting lately with thunder to hit water types, not sure if I like it though.

STRATEGY ANALYSIS:
The style of this team centers around using the VoltTurn core to slowly whittle down the opposing team. Diancie's role is to keep hazards off your side of the field as much as possible, as even though the team isn't too bothered by hazards, there is no other form of hazard control. Landorus-T should be used sparingly, coming in on opponents that it can pick off with u-turn, until it is safe to spam eq or stone edge. Having the dual steel types helps take some of the pressure of rachi. The synergy between the mons means that aggressive doubles aren't usually required unless your opponent is doing the same.

Dealing with threats:
Azumarill: If the opponent has an azu, its important to keep your own azu healthy to sponge a hit if necessary.
Suicune: A well played crocune can be hard for this team to break as the best move to hit it with is either zone's tbolt if it hasn't set up, or azu's play rough, but it barely misses out on the 2HKO from full.
Metagross: Mega Metagross is hard to OHKO, the best way of dealing with it is to either volt switch or u-turn on it to put it in range of an attack.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 307-361 (101.9 - 119.9%)
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 212-250 (70.4 - 83%)
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 252-296 (83.7 - 98.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 168-198 (55.8 - 65.7%)

FULL IMPORT:
http://pastebin.com/tZcpnrbv

Shoutout to MoB Barley for the core (and apparently most of the team).

Last edited:
Hey, nice team! I'll leave a full rate later, but for now go ahead and run Diamond Storm > Ancient Power. You have a Magnezone to trap and KO Skarmory, so you won't have to worry about it. Diamond Storm also hits Talonflame and Zard Y (one of the bigger threats imo) really hard, 1HKOing both of them even with a Timid nature. Bulky Will O Wisp Zard X can be annoying to your team and Diamond Storm is able to deal much more damage since those Zard X sets tend to be invested in Special Defense.

On Jirachi, Wish could be your best option as Jirachi is able to potentially wall Mega Metagross without EQ, and since it's the glue of the team, you'll want it to remain healthy to avoid it getting worn down quickly. Also, I'd add Mega Manectric to the list of threats as it's able to outspeed your entire team and if run with Weavile, it can completely destroy your team. I'll give advice on that later when I write up the full rate. Hope this helps for now :)

Edit: After spending some time with the calc, I think to better handle Mega Manectric, you can change your Jirachi EV spread to 252 HP / 224 SpD / 44 Spe. This spread takes Overheat really well, and it's better in the sense that Jirachi won't always be at full health. It's about a 5% decrease in damage from Overheat, (you can take up to 62.8% while the max roll for the current EV spread is 67.3%), so even though it doesn't look like much, it'll help Jirachi function better as a special defensive member of the team. Also, like I said before, Wish is definitely the best move for your Jirachi as it'll be taking all kinds of special attacks like Overheat. Wish can help it survive Mega Manectric, and allow it to take on Mega Manectric over and over again. The same goes for anything else you want it to check including Mega Metagross or Latios. Speaking of Latios, it's able to 3HKO Jirachi with EQ, dealing up to 50.2% at a max roll, so to help deal with that, Wish will be able to let Jirachi keep on tanking them. Your team also lacks a setup sweeper, so if you wanna use one, then Rock Polish Diancie and Belly Drum Azumarill are strong options to choose from. Finally, your team struggles a bit to take down Mega Venusaur, so Knock Off over Superpower may be useful in that sense. You also tend to overlook Magnezone's usefulness and imo you should try to take advantage of it more. Also, make your descriptions for each mon longer so your thread doesn't get locked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, however I tried to explain my reasoning for that choice above. Ancient power still OHKO's both zard Y and Talon, while bulky zard X isn't OHKO'd by Diamond Storm.
4 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 300-354 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 204-242 (56.8 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 420-496 (116.9 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 408-484 (137.3 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hi Biskit, nice team there, but I'd like to give some suggestions!

On Hydreigon Focus Blast over Flamethrower can let you hit Heatran and Tyranitar much harder, and you don't need Flamethrower to hit Ferrothorn if you have a Magnezone in your team, and Dark Pulse does a good damage to Scizor anyway. Also I'd consider to change the nature to Modest, Timid doesn't really outspeed anything.
hydreigon.gif

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Also I've noticed that your team has some problems againist Keldeo, especially if Azumarill is weakened, so I'd suggest Celebi over Jirachi, Celebi can still check threats to your team, but his access to Recover makes him more difficult to wear down for the opponent, and the access to Baton Pass will allow you to keep the momentum, although you can run T-Wave to cripple opposing switches.
celebi.gif

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass / Thunder Wave

I hope this helped you, gl with everything n_n

I have talked with MoB and he says he doesn't really mind. When I built this team I did consciously take his core as I said above, however I did not intend the team to mirror what he built (in all likelihood before me). As I went through the testing process, this is what I ended up with. And why? Because the team has great synergy and just works that well together.

Back