Rejected Disable game chat (or modchat [staff])

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the controversies around disabling /ionext on ladder for OLT voiced by WhiteQueen and others is that spectators can be obnoxious. Despite the existence of the ignore spectators button, dealing with clownish spectators can still be annoying for players. /modchat + can easily be circumvented by your opponent; if the obnoxious spectator is a friend of your opponent's or whatever, then they can easily just promote the user if you set modchat.

Other game sites (chess.com and others) have an option to disable the chat window with a small icon on the side. I propose something similar, which could be activated with a similar icon, or maybe with a /disablechat or /modchat % command. Maybe a chat window in which commands can be viewed by the user (but not broadcasted) would be an idea. I think this would fix the problem of annoying spectators.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
One of the controversies around disabling /ionext on ladder for OLT voiced by WhiteQueen and others is that spectators can be obnoxious. Despite the existence of the ignore spectators button, dealing with clownish spectators can still be annoying for players. /modchat + can easily be circumvented by your opponent; if the obnoxious spectator is a friend of your opponent's or whatever, then they can easily just promote the user if you set modchat.

Other game sites (chess.com and others) have an option to disable the chat window with a small icon on the side. I propose something similar, which could be activated with a similar icon, or maybe with a /disablechat or /modchat % command. Maybe a chat window in which commands can be viewed by the user (but not broadcasted) would be an idea. I think this would fix the problem of annoying spectators.
There are options to ignore your opponent/spectators in the battle options button at the top of a battle log. Potentially this could be improved still.

There are options to ignore your opponent/spectators in the battle options button at the top of a battle log. Potentially this could be improved still.
The issue is that it still doesn’t stop toxic conversation in your battle, conversation that will still be there in the replay etc. Game replay log vandalism is a problem that has been talked about before, and I think a disable chat or modchat staff option would be the perfect solution.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
There is one overall issue with allowing players to set modchat to staff (lets say driver). Both players would be able to do this, and undo this. Meaning its ineffective. At the moment, global staff can set modchat to % in battles, which cannot be removed by players.

I honestly don't have an issue with normal conversation in battles, and feel the ignore specs/opp option is a solution if only one site wants them hidden. Vandalism (harrasment, ect) should be reported to staff so that they can issue punishments and modchat the battle if needed.

Feel free to reply if you feel this dosen't resolve the issue.

Why not make it so that if one player sets modchat to driver, only that player can undo it, like how /hideroom works? I can understand this being hard to implement, but how about a /disablechat function that staff have the power to override? This wouldn’t have the limitations that I’m imagining the /modchat command to have (if one player-rank user has the power to invoke it, then another player-rank user should have the power to undo it). If my understanding of this issue is wrong, feel free to correct me, but I’m imagining this to look similar to /hideroom in that if a player invokes it, only that player can undo it.

Also, regarding your point on vandalism, I think it should be the decision of the players if they want random irrelevant logs in their replays (or random people talking in their game, for that matter), and not up to the uncertain discretion of staff, who may or may not deem the logs in question worthy of setting modchat. For example, if I don’t want someone’s annoying banter in my replay, but their annoying banter isn’t strictly against PS rules, then the staff member I request modchat from will not be obliged to fulfill my request. Plus, this takes the responsibility off of staff members to have to respond to anyone asking to set modchat in their games.

Last edited:
Another idea is to allow player-ranked users to set modchat to driver, but disallow them to set modchat to off. I think this is a suboptimal solution, because then the player who set modchat wouldn’t be able to turn it off, but I think it’s still an improvement. I would think that if a player sets modchat in a game, they generally don’t intend on turning it off for the duration of the game. Could be wrong, however, so I’d love to hear feedback from other users, so please post in this thread!

Kennedy

up the reds
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you and your opponent both don't like people talking in battles, one of you can set modchat +. If your opponent wants people talking and you don't then it's up to you to ignore the opponent or spectators.

Unfortunately in the case of battle "vandalism", we have to side with one side either way and I prefer to allow chatting in replays rather than giving one player the ability to disallow it. I suppose there could be a button to ignore players' + spectators' messages in replays but that's not what is being suggested here anyways so I'm just gonna reject and close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)