Pet Mod DLCmons: Ultra (Regional Forms Slate)

Should we do a z-moves slate for the winner with more votes?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
approved by G-Luke

banner by Magmajudis
DLCmons
In pokemon: sword and pokemon: shield, there was an huge discussion abt the departure of many pokemon from the game, called the dexit. however, two dlcs came here to fix this problem: the isle of armor and the crown tundra. they added new pokemon, moves, abilities, and most importantly: brought back old mons.

actually, me and petuh were going to do this for galar, adding 2 more dlcs, and not alola, but in the pet mod discord, we discussed with hematite, and we realized it was better to do one for an small regional dex, like alola or unova, so i went with alola.

this pet mod aims to add an aditional (set of) island(s) to the alola region. this will include new abilities, moves, items, regional variants and new mons, including new tapu formes.

Discord/Sheet/Resources

Currently, this is the council:

:vanilluxe:kakaks:glastrier:

:spectrier:Petuuuhhh:pelipper:

:swampert:BitBitio:krookodile:

:heatran:ViZar:melmetal:

:eternatus:Magmajudis:lunala:

any council apply would be highly appreciated.​

Last edited:
Firstly we will start off with an mini-voting phase: How many islands will the dlc have?
you can vote from anywhere between 1 and 4 islands. Voting ends in 24 hrs
imma vote for 3 islands​

Last edited:
Slates order 0-number of islands
1-tapus and oricorios (terrain distribution on discord)
after that, the isle number will be essential to the slates
we had a spreadsheet that we were using to talk about slates. however, since the transition to a gen 7 mod, those slates have been redone. any discussion of slate choice will be done on the discord starting now. I have posted the spreadsheet there.
Firstly we will start off with an mini-voting phase: How many islands will the dlc have?
you can vote from anywhere between 1 and 4 islands, and the higher the position, the higher is the amount of points. basically the system most mods use.
as stated on the pet mods discord, hawaii has 7 islands. being the basis of the alola region, it is only natural to have 7 islands in the dlc. I would like to make it clear that it isn't "one DLC for each island"; it's one DLC, but we will break down the process for each island individually. my vote goes for 3 islands. also, please update the post specifying that each island will have its own guardian, although that should be common knowledge. :)

Sounds cool. According to Google though, it seems Hawaii actually has 8 main islands, not 7, unless I'm mistaken? Is this pet mod going to use things from gen 8 (like new moves and abilities) or will it be pre-gen 8 only?

EDIT: Hematite is right as usual, I'll vote for 3 islands. Somehow forgot about Exeggutor Island.

Last edited:
Sounds cool. According to Google though, it seems Hawaii actually has 8 main islands, not 7, unless I'm mistaken? Is this pet mod going to use things from gen 8 (like new moves and abilities) or will it be pre-gen 8 only?
yeah you're right, Hawaii does have 8 islands! I'll vote for 4, then. I'll let kakaks answer your other question
Edit: okay didn’t realize Exeggutor Island was counted as an Island. My vote is for 3 islands now

Last edited:
Hey, uh, Petuh is mistaken as what was said on the Discord! I think this is an important clarification, because the claim that there are four islands left is the reason for six other people's votes and also his own, but it isn't actually true.
What he was told on Discord is that there were three more which is true, not that there were seven total which is not.
There are eight islands in Hawaii, but five of them are already in the game. One of the eight is the inspiration for Exeggutor Island, which is based on the relatively small Niihau Island (part of the same county as Kauai in real life), so it's lumped in with the Kauai as part of Poni Island in the game.
I even posted a map of Hawaii and listed which ones were in the game, Exeggutor Island included, when I told him that there were three...
That means there are only three islands left, not four - if you want to base them on real places, I don't think four is even an option!

As a matter of fact, the same would probably apply to the remaining three islands - all of which are comparatively small (the three of them together are only about as big as Maui, or Akala Island) and which are considered to be part of Maui's county in real life just like Niihau and Kauai. If we were adapting them in a way that's accurate to the rest of Alola, the three of them together would probably be more like the size of one official island, and they would probably be considered part of Akala Island for the purposes of something like the tapu.

On that note, Alola's tapu being specifically a group of four is something that's repeated and emphasized pretty often in the games, including being the reason there are four Grand Trials, the reason Alola has an Elite Four and the reason there are four players in a Battle Royal, among other things. They're also loosely inspired by the four major gods of Hawaii, although they don't correspond 1:1 no Legendaries do or should, which is another reason for there to be four of them - and Hawaii in real life only has four counties, which do correspond perfectly to our Poni, Melemele, Akala and Ula'ula except that Akala is half as big as it should be like I mentioned.
I totally get (and support!!) making more guardians for the new islands, though! I just wouldn't necessarily treat them as part of the same set/as a fifth, sixth and seventh tapu on equal footing with the others, personally - I wouldn't try to impose a tapu "formula" on them myself.

Aaanyway, uh, you can consider this my vote for three islands (but probably on a smaller scale and treated as a set, rather than each being the size of one official island). I know it's pretty heavily outweighed by this point, but hopefully it will help! Maybe explaining this will change people's minds?

The votes are in! 7 votes were counted for 3 islands, while 3 votes were counted for 4 islands, meaning that we will have 3 islands in this mod! The first slate:

Slate 1: Worldbuilding
As discussed on the official Discord and in the Pet Mods Discord, we would like to get to know what kind of terrain/lore each island has before handling the additional aspects of each one. Therefore, slate 1 is worldbuilding, where we discuss what we want each island to be like; history, geography, politics, you name it, it's on the table. Feel free to discuss what kind of existing Pokémon you can see being on the island as well! We were planning on the Fakemon being discussed in a separate slate, but don't avoid talking about what you can see the Mythicals/Legendaries being like. kakaks didn't tell me how long this would last, but I'd assume at least 3 days. I'll wait for kakaks to get back to me, then update the post with the deadline.

Edit: The deadline for the Discussion Phase is four days from now at 1 PM EST!

Last edited:
I'm assuming each of the 3 Islands are going to have their own Tapu? Should each of the Islands Tapu have an effect on what the land is like?

I'm not sure there was a particular direction the Tapu's placed onto their Islands, but they definitely had a Cultural importance, and 'fluff' or flavour importance to the land.

I'm assuming that the Core Optics of the Tapu should stay the same - Type 1/Fairy, with a Terrain ability, and Nature's Madness etc. Each of the Four Terrains that currently exist are in respect to each of the Tapu's Type 1, but should we have 3 more, if so, and should their typing, and therefore ability, impact the flavour of the land?

Alternatively, should the flavour of the chosen land specifically influence the design of the Tapu's?

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I'm assuming each of the 3 Islands are going to have their own Tapu? Should each of the Islands Tapu have an effect on what the land is like?

I'm not sure there was a particular direction the Tapu's placed onto their Islands, but they definitely had a Cultural importance, and 'fluff' or flavour importance to the land.

I'm assuming that the Core Optics of the Tapu should stay the same - Type 1/Fairy, with a Terrain ability, and Nature's Madness etc. Each of the Four Terrains that currently exist are in respect to each of the Tapu's Type 1, but should we have 3 more, if so, and should their typing, and therefore ability, impact the flavour of the land?

Alternatively, should the flavour of the chosen land specifically influence the design of the Tapu's?
I don't think they should have their own new Tapus. They are equivalent moreso to Exeggutor Island, and thay one doesn't have any Tapu, so I don't think these should either

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Well assuming we do Tapus, I'm gonna talk about the potential "Tapu Pu'u" metioned in the discord by Dilasc. This concept was inspired by the Volcano Pu'u 'O'o in Hawaii. I won't talk about it in detail, but since it's going to take long and I want to submit something now, I'll revisit this in the near future.

Tapu Pu'u could be guardian who watches out for the condition of the earth. He could create fertile soil (something that volcanos create after erupting) and clean the nature from messes humans made. The island could be a clean island, where throwing waste into nature is seen as disrespectful. Speaking of which, it would punish everyone who throws trash in the nature and damages the soil. You could make it so, that it punishes everyone that disturbs its sleep, since an inactive volcano can also be could a sleeping volcano, who creates destruction once it wakes up.

Now what animal could it be? Koko is a Rooster, Lele is a butterfly, Bulu is a Bull (duh), and Fini is a Swordsfish. What would Pu'u be? It should be a reptile or an insect, since reptiles are warm-blooded and insects are more active in the summer than winter. I'm leaning more towards insects, but more specifically an ant. Ants are insects that bury themselves into the ground and live there. There is also a species that is called the fire ant, so it would fit. And it would obviously be Fire/Fairy type.

Nevertheless, Tapus aren't confirmed and we don't know if we do them yet, but I like the concept and wanted to create something out of it.
S/o to Dilasc on Discord! This was his idea and I just gave my predictions on it.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind a fifth Tapu to guard Exeggutor Island and the three other islands. However, Hematite mentioned the importance of four in the lore of the Tapus. Hopefully they can explain that in more detail before I decide whether or not to include a new Tapu. As for the islands, Hema described one of the islands as being barren after Tapu Lele’s “innocent mayhem” (something like that). I like that idea, and I like the volcano idea as well. Maybe some lore could be the fifth Tapu drove Tapu Lele away from the island after decimating it? Just a thought.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Maybe a way to make the fifth Tapu "The Forbidden One", where it is genuinely evil in Alola, or at least coming off as truly malicious to the people, and also so destructive to the point the people of Alola does not want to even think about its existence? Could make a way why people in Alola never talked about it and as a result, why no one ended up even bothering to say a word about the Forbidden One. Making it the "Forgotten One" could also work, something that was just forgotten long ago by the Alolan people.

I'd rather have a Bug-type Tapu rather than yet another Dragon-type Legendary, but a Fire-type would be fine too (the starters' type used for Legendary group had never been done before). A fire ant as a basis for the fifth Tapu can work either way.

Tapu Bulu was majorly red-colored despite being Grass-type though, so maybe have the Forbidden One to be colored green or even black (with the inverse on Shiny)? This will help reinforce the creepy vibe of it.

Wonder if their Ability is another of those Terrain summoning, something Bug-type Terrain, or even an entirely different one where it works like Primordial Land where it remains active as long as the user stays and cannot be bypassed by the others' Terrain, including the Tapus, giving a stronger vibe of fear and show that this Tapu is nothing to scoff at. This will helps combat the Terrain Wars, as its own Terrain won't stick if it faints or switches out. What functions remains to be seen, though obviously something that benefits Bug.

The island itself (not Exeggutor Island, but a never-before-heard one) becomes condemned, to make a reference to the Forbidden Island that Hawaii had (if I recall correctly), brushed off the Alola map so that no one will get into grave danger. Legends said there are people traveling there, but only an extremely few managed to come out alive.

No new Tapu at all would be fine as is, I'm only giving suggestions.

Last edited:
Honestly given what Hema said in his post, and how four is important to the lore of alola, I don't think these islands need to really have Tapus especially if they fall under the jurisdiction of some the other Tapus. Even a fifth evil Tapu seems kind of against the meaning of the word Tapu, since in Polynesian Culture Tapu is used to denote something holy or sacred. This isn't to say the islands should lack legendaries, and not have relationships with their respective Tapus, rather it's more of me saying that they shouldn't be Tapus themselves.

With that being said I feel as though something people are overlooking is the potential to add new alolan forms. Perhaps maybe some legendary forms as well. Heck since there's three islands maybe the inhabitants can be the alolan variations on the legendary beasts, where the actions of the Tapus somehow caused them to change into their alolan variants.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly given what Hema said in his post, and how four is important to the lore of alola, I don't think these islands need to really have Tapus especially if they fall under the jurisdiction of some the other Tapus. Even a fifth evil Tapu seems kind of against the meaning of the word Tapu, since in Polynesian Culture Tapu is used to denote something holy or sacred. This isn't to say the islands should lack legendaries, and not have relationships with their respective Tapus, rather it's more of me saying that they shouldn't be Tapus themselves.

With that being said I feel as though something people are overlooking is the potential to add new alolan forms. Perhaps maybe some legendary forms as well. Heck since there's three islands maybe the inhabitants can be the alolan variations on the legendary beasts, where the actions of the Tapus somehow caused them to change into their alolan variants.
That would work better, and we definitely want more Alolan forms considering Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon introduced none. Anything from Gen 2 to 6 would be preferable, as we already got plenty of Gen 1 Alolan forms.

I do not think we should allow Regional Evolutions at all though since it was introduced in Gen 8, not Gen 7. Introducing it in this Gen 7 Pet Mod would come off as very weirdly retroactive.

That would work better, and we definitely want more Alolan forms considering Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon introduced none. Anything from Gen 2 to 6 would be preferable, as we already got plenty of Gen 1 Alolan forms.

I do not think we should allow Regional Evolutions at all though since it was introduced in Gen 8, not Gen 7. Introducing it in this Gen 7 Pet Mod would come off as very weirdly retroactive.
Taking this into consideration, I don't want a new Tapu either, since based on the mythology of Hawaii, it wouldn't make sense. Also we won't be adding regional evolutions because they were not introduced until after SM/USUM. Honestly, I'm just going to Google what the remaining Hawaiian Islands are like. Hema mentioned
Niihau Island is Exeggutor Island
Kauai Island is Poni Island
Oahu Island is Melemele Island
Molokai, Lanai and Kahoolawe are the three islands that could be the basis for your DLC (!!)
Maui Island is Akala Island
and the Island of Hawaii is Ula'ula Island
so whatever geography Molokai, Lanai, and Kahoolawe have, I'm down with. However, they'll need to be suburban despite being small islands imo. This is so that they can have a decently sized pool of mons. They need to be assumed to be large enough for about 75 species each, at minimum (again in my opinion and in no way limiting it to that). I'm aiming for 50-75 new species and about 100 returning species (including species from Gen 8).

Also
You may be wondering how to get to know this metagame. Luckily, on ROM, there is a [Gen 7] Alola Friendly format! Thanks to urkerab for his wonderful server. Be aware this has Item Clause. The official meta will not have Item Clause, so we recommend building in Alola Friendly, and then playing [Gen 7] OU.

Ema Skye

Work!
I actually like the idea of introducing more Tapus. I like the idea of having them be 'forgotten' or 'forbidden' as it ties into why they aren't part of the main lore. Even without that, Pokemon has retconned things before: the Regi family being the latest. Previously, Regigigas just created the first three in the lore, but they just added 'pure electric energy' and 'crystallized dragon energy' as other things it is now able to craft with. Lore can be changed as needed and I don't think we should limit ourselves just because the lore says as such.

On another note, I think it might be interesting to explore islands outside of Hawaii for the region. Molokai is pretty boring, relative to the four main islands, while Lanai is just a resort. Kaho'olawe is even less interesting as it is unable to support most life due to a lack of fresh water. The later two might be interesting as they contrast so well with the others (a lack of water might make Kaho'olawe 'forbidden' and Molokai is 'forgettable; Lanai could be 'the empty one' just to complete it). The negative connotations might help explain the existence of these new Tapus (one is so dangerous it's been erased from time, one is so insignificant it's been erased from time, and the third was thought to be dead). But looking outwards might give us more material to work with.

However, we could explore more of the older history of the islands by adding a 'Polynesian' perspective to them, as the Hawaiian Islands were first discovered by the Polynesians, which fits with this being an 'expansion'. This would also give the DLC islands a different feel due to representing a different, yet still similar, culture. This is similar particularly to Crown Tundra, which represents a totally different country than the base England. The Polynesian region is entirely made of islands, and so they still fit these new Alolan Islands with being islands. If we were to go without Tapus, this would allow us to have totally different legendaries and motif compared to Alola. In fact, it might be interesting to portray these other islands as 'technologically superior' to Alola, given that the Polynesians actually discovered the Hawaiian Islands last in their journey across the Pacific (and contrasts well with our general knowledge of isolated Pacific Islands and cultures as being technologically inferior to western civilizations).

Just my two pennies. And here's a map of the Polynesian region. There's a lot of material to work with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesia#/media/File:Pacific_Culture_Areas.png

I was thinking another four tapus so each gets a weather summoning ability to compliment the terrain summoning abilities

Edit: If you don't want rain to avoid Fini overlap, make one Flying type with Delta stream

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)