Do you keep a journal / diary / tome of secrets? Why or why not?

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi Smogoff, do you keep a journal / diary / tome of secrets that curses anyone who dares read the unspeakable truths inside? If so, why? If not, why not?

At the risk of making a glorified "page 5" joke (*1), I wanted to ask you all, as I approach page 5 of my newest book of thoughts if you all keep track of your lives through the written medium. I considered at one point to make thread on Smogon, or perhaps Smogoff, of simply recounting the mundanity of daily life and the random highlights that happen every so often. there's a couple thread sin Wi-Fi and Orange Islands that do this to an extent, and I wanted to emulate the *vibe* of other forums I've been a part of that have threads that act as *hubs* for users to post to their hearts content while also engaging with their readers in a weird informl blog. Though I quickly realized that there would be a lot of aspects that would reveal some moderately personal identifiable information about where I was at any given time of the day (*2) and that didn't feel like such a good idea. Admittedly though, I have taken screenshots of funny posts from smogoff threads, printed them out, and taped them onto the many pages of my Necronomicon-like collection, as I've felt that there are some redeeming bits of comedy here that are worth preserving (*3) and sharing with the future comedians of the world (*4).

Given that I've recently reached PAGE 5 of BOOK 5 (*5), I felt that I could share a little bit about my own habits and how they've made me a more enlightened and appreciative individual. I first started keeping a regular journal in late January of 2020 as I was sruggling to keep my organized life all balanced, being in 18 credits was tough and the quality of my work was slipping faster than a g-

hey guys let's remember this is smogoff not jerkoff
oh, good point Fishy . But needles to say I was looking for a way to just keep track of all my to do lists. This eventually changed when in March of 2020 the sickness of the century came around and I went to life in my parents's basement where I had to design a nuclear reactor among other things. The book became my friend where I could write about how fuckin shit I felt, which was helpful in feeling less shit. Three years later I now have a weird primary source as to what the hell was going on in the world during that initial period of confusion, which is neat. the journal eventually morphed from a to-do list keeper, to a lot more like a sounding board for jokes, notes from laddering, notes from online seminars, ways to keep track of things I wanted etc. Since then Journals #2-#4 have been more more serialized in that I keep track of just day-to-day things and keep my working notes online elsewhere (*6). They're what I need them to be and that's all that matters rn because it's a good way to dump all the silly bits out of my brain and then proceed to never think about them again.

TL;DR you keep a journal y/n?

(*1) which is frankly, a pretty good joke that very rarely actually gets old given its permanence in smogoff, and, therefore, society.
(*2) something only premium subscribers and members of cambridge analytica are privy to
(*3) mostly page 5 posting and/or evergreen posts from todd bonzalez's quantum posting thread
(*4) assuming the acid rain of ohio doesn't kill us all
(*5) that's right, 5/5 on my fifth footnote, can I get a high five :pimp:?
(*6) which if you look really hard, you might be able to find as a website online!!!!!!!!
[\hide]

Hi Smogoff, do you keep a journal / diary / tome of secrets that curses anyone who dares read the unspeakable truths inside? If so, why? If not, why not?

At the risk of making a glorified "page 5" joke (*1), I wanted to ask you all, as I approach page 5 of my newest book of thoughts if you all keep track of your lives through the written medium. I considered at one point to make thread on Smogon, or perhaps Smogoff, of simply recounting the mundanity of daily life and the random highlights that happen every so often. there's a couple thread sin Wi-Fi and Orange Islands that do this to an extent, and I wanted to emulate the *vibe* of other forums I've been a part of that have threads that act as *hubs* for users to post to their hearts content while also engaging with their readers in a weird informl blog. Though I quickly realized that there would be a lot of aspects that would reveal some moderately personal identifiable information about where I was at any given time of the day (*2) and that didn't feel like such a good idea. Admittedly though, I have taken screenshots of funny posts from smogoff threads, printed them out, and taped them onto the many pages of my Necronomicon-like collection, as I've felt that there are some redeeming bits of comedy here that are worth preserving (*3) and sharing with the future comedians of the world (*4).

Given that I've recently reached PAGE 5 of BOOK 5 (*5), I felt that I could share a little bit about my own habits and how they've made me a more enlightened and appreciative individual. I first started keeping a regular journal in late January of 2020 as I was sruggling to keep my organized life all balanced, being in 18 credits was tough and the quality of my work was slipping faster than a g-

oh, good point Fishy . But needles to say I was looking for a way to just keep track of all my to do lists. This eventually changed when in March of 2020 the sickness of the century came around and I went to life in my parents's basement where I had to design a nuclear reactor among other things. The book became my friend where I could write about how fuckin shit I felt, which was helpful in feeling less shit. Three years later I now have a weird primary source as to what the hell was going on in the world during that initial period of confusion, which is neat. the journal eventually morphed from a to-do list keeper, to a lot more like a sounding board for jokes, notes from laddering, notes from online seminars, ways to keep track of things I wanted etc. Since then Journals #2-#4 have been more more serialized in that I keep track of just day-to-day things and keep my working notes online elsewhere (*6). They're what I need them to be and that's all that matters rn because it's a good way to dump all the silly bits out of my brain and then proceed to never think about them again.

TL;DR you keep a journal y/n?

(*1) which is frankly, a pretty good joke that very rarely actually gets old given its permanence in smogoff, and, therefore, society.
(*2) something only premium subscribers and members of cambridge analytica are privy to
(*3) mostly page 5 posting and/or evergreen posts from todd bonzalez's quantum posting thread
(*4) assuming the acid rain of ohio doesn't kill us all
(*5) that's right, 5/5 on my fifth footnote, can I get a high five :pimp:?
(*6) which if you look really hard, you might be able to find as a website online!!!!!!!!
[\hide]
on a more serious note, i began journaling around the same time. I find it’s an activity that keeps me grounded and allows me to disconnect from work following a rough day. Occasionally I look back on old notes andgain perspective on the aspects of my life that are really important… items that feel big in the moment may not mean much in the longterm, and sometimes I need to re-focus… whether on myself, my hobbies, my career, orrelationships - journaling is a good tool to avcomplish these ends…

had to design a nuclear reactor

What do you do for work my friend…? You and I… we may not be so different

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Yes

i also keep all myPASSwords scattered thruout… impossible to know which of the thousands of relative words they are… except if you are me… or you realize the numbers in the gibberish…

still impossible to decipher… from manic scribblings… written at 3 am… as I attempt to capture the ethereal feeling… of a dream… or my nightmare
i did that in one of mine. I put all my pin codes, address numbers, and other numberstrings all on a page and then surrounded them by random numbers so that no one will be able to actually figure them out but i'll know

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
on a more serious note, i began journaling around the same time. I find it’s an activity that keeps me grounded and allows me to disconnect from work following a rough day. Occasionally I look back on old notes andgain perspective on the aspects of my life that are really important… items that feel big in the moment may not mean much in the longterm, and sometimes I need to re-focus… whether on myself, my hobbies, my career, orrelationships - journaling is a good tool to avcomplish these ends…

had to design a nuclear reactor

What do you do for work my friend…? You and I… we may not be so different
i do work as a graduate student developing radiation detectors. my senior design project i designed a reactor to product mo99 from a target based u235 system, which was hell on earth as i had 2 weeks to become a complete expert in mcnp in addition to taking 13 other credits. i know for sure it was hell because it was the semester i started keeping a journal :toast:

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i do work as a graduate student developing radiation detectors. my senior design project i designed a reactor to product mo99 from a target based u235 system, which was hell on earth as i had 2 weeks to become a complete expert in mcnp in addition to taking 13 other credits. i know for sure it was hell because it was the semester i started keeping a journal :toast:
this man making up letters and numbers to seem smart damn

no i dont journal

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
no.
If you write your secrets down it ceases to be a secret, no matter where you hide it....unless you burn it after you write it.
But did you have a journal if its not a journal anymore?
Tracking personal improvement by looking through your dealings with other people through the months is a nice alternative though.
Edit: Whats the point of cursing them when they already know your deepest secrets you keep in the basement? The secondhand shame is already enough >:3c

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
no.
If you write your secrets down it ceases to be a secret, no matter where you hide it....unless you burn it after you write it.
But did you have a journal if its not a journal anymore?
Tracking personal improvement by looking through your dealings with other people through the months is a nice alternative though.
Edit: Whats the point of cursing them when they already know your deepest secrets you keep in the basement? The secondhand shame is already enough >:3c
What if your personal observations of yourself and those around you is something that you consider a secret on a smaller scale than, say, admitting you murdered your uncle? What about tracking your own improvement on something you'd like to be kept secret?

I'm also considering sealing my older journals with wax so that no one will b able to open them until after I'm gone. Or at least having some confidential and certain way to ensure that my inner thoughts remain mine until the concept of me ceases to exist.

do you keep a journal / diary / tome of secrets? where?

are you a spare key under the plant pot kind of gal?

if you were to go missing, is there anyone that would notice?
on me at all times

no

yes

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
not really, but i once kept a google doc with some half-baked design work for things that i wanted to finish writing someday. idk what happened to it...maybe it got lost in account transfers somehow? i had some cool ideas on there abt playing as a linnorm (serpenty dragons who curse anyone who slays them) that id like to fill out:(

(i finished one, at least, u can find a free sample if ur interested)
update i found my old (really aged) draft abt how to play as a serpentfolk bc im in a collab that i can use it in. keep detailed notes yall!! you never kno!!!!

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm also considering sealing my older journals with wax so that no one will b able to open them until after I'm gone. Or at least having some confidential and certain way to ensure that my inner thoughts remain mine until the concept of me ceases to exist.
tbh thats a great idea, it would be nice long as everything I write just stays ....with cat and cat alone
What about tracking your own improvement on something you'd like to be kept secret?
Nosy people always find ways though, and Ig its probably something to pick me up during sad times if ever though. I'll consider it. Thankie Voltage :blobnom:

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
I have a notebook in which I write down every Smogon user's secrets I know. Alphabetically. Two pages for each non-Smogoff user, four for them. The notebook is dark green, the same colours the fastest F1 car will have this year. The notebook is very big. As big as Joe. Yes, Joe Mama. The notebook also has the solution to Big Stall TM, don't dare me to make use of it. Viva España.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)