[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
I commonly fight them at 4am Tokyo time on a Tuesday so no, they don't sleep. Can confirm. Also highly active during school days during school hours, and they don't seem to have jobs either.
Pokemon habits indicate that Japan the exact opposite of Japan. I don't see Germans, Frenchmen, and Brits at 4am GMT+1, at least the Europeans sleep. :P

Will be entering a joke team into the competition shortly, I have a bunch of random shit laying around so YOLO. We're coinflipping between my legendary Arbok and a Muk; neither of which should ever be used.
5 of the people I played were Japanese and they were playing between 1-3 AM on Japan's time. Not sure how old they were. I have no idea how they'd be able to wake up in the morning if they had school or work.

Edit:
Everyone's having fun while I'm still training my pokemon *sigh* Would anyone happen to have a modest magnemite/ton spitback lying around? I just realized the only magnemite I had has no good IVs at all so I could use a little help if someone's kind enough.

Btw I'm gonna try a slightly bulkier Alakazam spread which can both outspeed Gengar and survive a Stone Edge from Machamp. Is there any other threat in the speed tiers I should be worried about? Can only think about starmie but it doesn't really threat alaka in any way.
Starmie can threaten if it has shadow ball which I've seen some people running. Also I have an hp fire magnemite with some decent stats I could give you a bit later, I'm not at home right now but I can trade it to you when I get back in a few hours.

Last edited:
5 of the people I played were Japanese and they were playing between 1-3 AM on Japan's time. Not sure how old they were. I have no idea how they'd be able to wake up in the morning if they had school or work.
Theres probably plenty of NEETs in japan too

Bring pursuit on snorlax is my biggest misstake
Damn really? Ive been using pursuit on my lax but i havent locked my box yet.

Not a lot of alakazams or something? On the showdown ladder its been good for me but ik thats always different from cart.

Damn really? Ive been using pursuit on my lax but i havent locked my box yet.

Not a lot of alakazams or something? On the showdown ladder its been good for me but ik thats always different from cart.
Yeah only feel have
And it dam isn't enough to ko gengar and useless again slowbro

I've seen some strange stuff in a few battles. For one, I've seen a surprising number of Arcanine and Gyara relative to the number of Clef. I've seen a few odd moves, like Ancientpower on Zapdos and Thunder on Gengar. I just had a battle with a Venu with Giga Drain/ Synthesis/ Leech Seed/ Protect. Venu is a problem for me once I lose Gengar, and this set was no exception tho I still won with two Pokes. That said, it doesn't seem like an especially good set. For starters, if you're only doing one attack that should be Sludge Bomb. Protect is also mostly useless, at least compared to Sleep Powder which is the main reason I dislike Venu to begin with(Not a fan of Leech Seed, but if that's the only problem I can PP stall at worst.)

I've seen some strange stuff in a few battles. For one, I've seen a surprising number of Arcanine and Gyara relative to the number of Clef. I've seen a few odd moves, like Ancientpower on Zapdos and Thunder on Gengar. I just had a battle with a Venu with Giga Drain/ Synthesis/ Leech Seed/ Protect. Venu is a problem for me once I lose Gengar, and this set was no exception tho I still won with two Pokes. That said, it doesn't seem like an especially good set. For starters, if you're only doing one attack that should be Sludge Bomb. Protect is also mostly useless, at least compared to Sleep Powder which is the main reason I dislike Venu to begin with(Not a fan of Leech Seed, but if that's the only problem I can PP stall at worst.)
Sleep is bad in PP wars; you don't consume PP while asleep, thus, giving your foe a long-term advantage on PP despite the free turns.
That's why we put pokemon to Sleep while catching them, as opposed to the muuuuuuuuuuch lower maintanence Paralysis.
Honestly, Sludge Bomb is better, yes; Magneton is the only immunity. Protect, eh, I'd run Sub or something.

Sleep is bad in PP wars; you don't consume PP while asleep, thus, giving your foe a long-term advantage on PP despite the free turns.
That's why we put pokemon to Sleep while catching them, as opposed to the muuuuuuuuuuch lower maintanence Paralysis.
Honestly, Sludge Bomb is better, yes; Magneton is the only immunity. Protect, eh, I'd run Sub or something.
Winning PP wars isn't why I think Sleep Powder is better than Protect. I guess maybe I was confusing. It's more the traditional Bomb/ GD/ Sleep Powder/ Leech Venu that trouble me, those I'm probably gonna need Gengar for, or else some luck with Articuno. If GD is the only attack it's pretty easy to stall with either Zapdos or Articuno, since they take nothing from that and Roost/Rest more than makes up for LS damage.

5-5 tonight. Asian trainers are too good.

Toxic Stall Zapdos

Skill Swap Slowbro

I was Minimizing and Cosmic Powering up my Clefable and Skill Swap Slowbro took my Unaware ability.

I played poorly. Not that I didn't face good competition, but I feel like I made a lot of mental mistakes.

Last edited:
I have only battled 4 Japanese players, which is rare for me.

I was starting to wonder if Japan was the land that never sleeps.
The past couple competitions made me wonder the same thing. It's like no matter what time I do the battles, I always run into highly competitive players from Japan. I try to match my time to between 12am to 3am their time...but there are always still people up. It boggles my mind.

I was surprised when I only got one player from Japan during my matches today.

The past couple competitions made me wonder the same thing. It's like no matter what time I do the battles, I always run into highly competitive players from Japan. I try to match my time to between 12am to 3am their time...but there are always still people up. It boggles my mind.

I was surprised when I only got one player from Japan during my matches today.
I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, but from a friend that lives in Japan, she says her friends over there excel in singular battle situations. Surprise move-sets or Pokémon that if they were in a best of 3 setting their opponent has a chance to figure them out.

But their play style is insane.

Day 1 I was 3-1 against Japanese players and Day 2 I was 0-4.

Entirely different teams today. Arcanine was heavily used today and it was surprisingly bulky.

The surprises in this format for me so far has been Arcanine, Lapras, and Ditto.

Ditto no matter what it transformed into, it was faster than my Pokémon it copied. Now this could be just on the wrong side of the speed tie, but it was consistently faster than my speed Pokémon.

Vaporeon was another one that gave me a fit, but I only saw 2 total so far. I somehow did not carry a Water counter on my team.

My son has Venusaur on his team and he is 10-0 in the Junior Division after today.

Uggggh these matches take FOREVER D:

I'm on match 7 right now after over 2 hours of playing...

Update: 8-2 for the next 10 battles. Much better matches in terms of quality compared to yesterday. A lot of close matches, and let me tell you. Horn Drill + Rock Polish Rhydon is my current favorite set of all time lmao. It's such a beast. It's been the MVP in several of tonight's matches. Horn Drill lures in Machamps thinking they're gonna force me out and whenever I'm lucky enough to land a Horn Drill on anything else, it can and has really turned the tide of the match I'm in towards my favor. I had a dude lose his Clef to my Horn Drill and then he brought in his Machamp. Big mistake, bruv =3 Rock Polish + EdgeQuake just cleans weakened teams like it's nobody's business too.

One of the losses tonight was dude to sheer hax. My Machamp was paralyzed vs a DD Dragonite with its multiscale broken and it was the last mon. Got para'd on the DD and lost because of it...I would have been 9-1 again otherwise ;-; The other loss was vs a pretty creative team with a Water Pulse Technician Persian nabbing my Rhydon. It also had Fake Out, Taunt (which stopped my clef from setting up rocks turn 2) and Bite. Props to that guy.

Last edited:
The other loss was vs a pretty creative team with a Water Pulse Technician Persian nabbing my Rhydon. It also had Fake Out, Taunt (which stopped my clef from setting up rocks turn 2) and Bite. Props to that guy.
Holy shit that is such a weird set. What was this guy's team and what was his rating?

Holy shit that is such a weird set. What was this guy's team and what was his rating?
Somewhere in the upper 1600s. He had a Wigglytuff as his rocker on the team as well. Can't remember the rest of the team exactly but I'm positive it was just standard mons.

Oh yeah, I almost lost to a dude that had Curse + Pursuit Snorlax...like, how do you prepare for that shit? .___. I mean, he ended up losing to my Rhydon late game due to not having Sleep Talk, but you should have seen my face when I saw him go for Curse and then clicked Pursuit on my Starmie's attempt to switch out.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Ditto no matter what it transformed into, it was faster than my Pokémon it copied. Now this could be just on the wrong side of the speed tie, but it was consistently faster than my speed Pokémon.
Was it scarved? Most dittos are scarf, though sometimes you see sash.

Charlotte

giraffe
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Competitions are always at the weekends so people staying up late shouldn't be seen as at all weird.

Was it scarved? Most dittos are scarf, though sometimes you see sash.
No items, so definitely speed ties.

Just want to confirm that I'll have enough time to do the battles:

Kanto Classic ends late Monday morning (10:30am, Adelaide time), right?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I FINALLY got my team bred and just played a few battles before going to sleep and smashing them out tomorrow, managed 4-0 so far. My opponents weren't ~amazing~ but that's a good thing because I'm still getting a feel for my team (barely tested on PS and I'm not a massive 6v6 player anyway) so it was a good chance to see where I'm at. I am pretty scared of Venomoth and Venusaur though and kinda wish I brought Magmar (actually did test him on PS and was surprisingly good), but I guess I'm just gonna have to get creative when I run into them. My very first battle had both Venu and Moth and I managed to get by them, but I'm not looking forward to the higher ladder...

Just want to confirm that I'll have enough time to do the battles:

Kanto Classic ends late Monday morning (10:30am, Adelaide time), right?
Correct. It finishes at 12:00 GMT, and Adelaide is +10.5 GMT. I also know coz it finishes at 11 here in Melbourne :)

Hello, Smogon! My first post here.

I have bred and started the Kanto Classic with a team of Snorlax, Slowbro, Alakazam, Gengar, Machamp and Arcanine. We did pretty well with setting a 8-2 in the first and 9-1 in the second day of the tournament. Before the final match, the rating was 1681. I'm assuming it should be around 1690'ish, if not 1700. However, I'm wondering if I should go for the final day of the competition or settle in 17-3 with a good rating score.

The most interesting team I've faced used Dugtrio, Tentacruel, Omastar and Snorlax, setting traps and each using Memento to force you into a switch. A defensive Snorlax using Whirlwind resulted a 0-3 loss. I must say it was unique apart from the battles I've done so far.

As mentioned earlier my day 2 was terrible.

Day 1: 9-1
Day 2: 5-5

A lot more Arcanine than there was on Day 1. I was amazed that an Arcanine with -2 DEF/SP.DEF was able to take hits.

My son, however, in the Junior Division went

Day 1: 10-0
Day 2: 9-1

His loss on day 2 was his first opponent with a rank higher than his. The kid just switched and chipped for a bit and once my son's threat to Venusaur was gone he brought Venusaur in and Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Drain.

My son was so frustrated because he got rid of Gengar, which was the only threat to his Snorlax Body Slam.

Hax were not on my son's side that battle.

Last edited:
I'm in the Junior Division and so far, I've only battled twice, and with a team of Zam, Gengar, Golem, Vaporeon, Clef, and Lax.
The first battle was with a hacker at a 1600 rating. They were all shiny, including SP Nidoking. It made me sad because this kid obviously had to do no work building his team. I lost 0-3. The second battle, I lost connection. But I think he quit because of my RestTalk Snorlax stall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)