[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

I'm dissapointed that you guys didn't even bother to cover electrode because I've been using the following set with moderate success.

Electrode
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Discharge
- Light Screen/Taunt/Magnet rise/Thunder wave

Yes It's basically swagplay I mean electrode being the fastest pokemon in this league means that he will always go first no matter what, priority aside of course, so he could more or less be seen as a prankster pokemon like klefki or thundurus, and we all know how annoying those two are. I like Discharge because of the higher chance of paralyzis but unfortunatelly It doesn't unsure a gyarados OHKO so thunderbolt might be a better option for that.
The third slot is just a filler move, taunt can be good if you use It as an antilead or to stop other mons try to setup on you. Magnet rise is mostly just to mess with nidokings/queens that expect to OHKO you with any ground move, light screen can also be good because of all the special attacking psychics that this meta is filled with and just extra team support.

Kinda of an underrated mon In this league imo, I guess because It reallies alot on luck but It's hard not to get atleast one knockout or wear down your opponents team.

Can someone please confirm whether I'll be able to lock in my team after tomorrow when the competition starts or not?
I ran out of Blisseys to level up with and can't find a Water stone so all the two weeks effort will go to complete waste if I can't lock in later.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, I may have to delay my giveaway to tomorrow morning, I had some pretty bad asthma attacks and am JUST now getting to EV training.

For those of you who are signing up: You don't have to lock your battle box when you sign up! So you could still get your mons late and play!

Can someone please confirm whether I'll be able to lock in my team after tomorrow when the competition starts or not?
I ran out of Blisseys to level up with and can't find a Water stone so all the two weeks effort will go to complete waste if I can't lock in later.
I locked my battle box on like the 2nd day for the last 2 comps.

You're fine.

Last edited:
So most people here have probably already started battling, I'm not starting until tomorrow. I have some closing questions about my team. Unfortunately, I can't change many of them now.
First, my Clefable is pretty standard, except it has Stored Power instead of standard Moonlight or Soft-Boiled. I can't change it because Moonlight is a Clefairy move and I evolved :/ I have Wish Vaporeon, will that be good enough for HP recovery?
Also it seems that I can't fit Venusaur on my team, which is a shame. However, I think SR Golem and Snorlax fill more important roles.
My team is: Clefable, Vaporeon, Gengar, Alakazam, Golem, and Snorlax. About half of these mons are bulky, and about half offensive if you want to look at it that way. Originally I was focusing on synergy, like Acid Armor Pass from Vaporeon to others, but it just eventually devolved into fitting crucial Pokemon on my team. How solid is this team? Would it get murdered by OHKO stallers or other big threats? I think I just need to know some things to look out for as I go into the competition.
(Thanks to all the Smogon people, who were so helpful during this competition when I asked questions. :D)
Edit: Something I remembered.. My Gengar has Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Clear Smog, and Taunt. Should Sludge Bomb be replaced with WoW?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So most people here have probably already started battling, I'm not starting until tomorrow. I have some closing questions about my team. Unfortunately, I can't change many of them now.
First, my Clefable is pretty standard, except it has Stored Power instead of standard Moonlight or Soft-Boiled. I can't change it because Moonlight is a Clefairy move and I evolved :/ I have Wish Vaporeon, will that be good enough for HP recovery?
Also it seems that I can't fit Venusaur on my team, which is a shame. However, I think SR Golem and Snorlax fill more important roles.
My team is: Clefable, Vaporeon, Gengar, Alakazam, Golem, and Snorlax. About half of these mons are bulky, and about half offensive if you want to look at it that way. Originally I was focusing on synergy, like Acid Armor Pass from Vaporeon to others, but it just eventually devolved into fitting crucial Pokemon on my team. How solid is this team? Would it get murdered by OHKO stallers or other big threats? I think I just need to know some things to look out for as I go into the competition.
(Thanks to all the Smogon people, who were so helpful during this competition when I asked questions. :D)
Edit: Something I remembered.. My Gengar has Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Clear Smog, and Taunt. Should Sludge Bomb be replaced with WoW?
It starts tomorrow, not today.

Unfortunately, I may have to delay my giveaway to tomorrow morning, I had some pretty bad asthma attacks and am JUST now getting to EV training.

For those of you who are signing up: You don't have to lock your battle box when you sign up! So you could still get your mons late and play!
Is there anything to do for the giveaway? I just got myself a 3DS 2 weeks ago and I didn't have a chance to build, catch, breed a good team so some mons would be the best help ^^

Which mons will be in the giveaway ? Rapid spin / Haze Tentacruel is horrible to breed :(
Also, is a Body Slam / Crunch / Fissure / Rest set viable for Snorlax ? I currently use Sleep Talk over Crunch but my team can't do anything to Gengar :/

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Which mons will be in the giveaway ? Rapid spin / Haze Tentacruel is horrible to breed :(
Also, is a Body Slam / Crunch / Fissure / Rest set viable for Snorlax ? I currently use Sleep Talk over Crunch but my team can't do anything to Gengar :/
I do have that but its Bold, so you won't be outspeeding Nidoking with it, just a warning!

Anyways, I'm furiously EV training Pokemon right now. If for any reason I don't make it in time for the start of the tournament, Don't fret: You should still sign up, just don't lock your battle box! I will be giving out mons till Saturday regardless, and it will be up by tonight at the very latest! So sorry that this is such a rush job, health issues really held me back here!

I do have that but its Bold, so you won't be outspeeding Nidoking with it, just a warning!

Anyways, I'm furiously EV training Pokemon right now. If for any reason I don't make it in time for the start of the tournament, Don't fret: You should still sign up, just don't lock your battle box! I will be giving out mons till Saturday regardless, and it will be up by tonight at the very latest! So sorry that this is such a rush job, health issues really held me back here!
Do you need any help with this? I used your Regigigas in Festive Feud and am planning on getting a bunch of legends from your generous giveaway thread, would love to be able to donate something in return. I have a bunch of Gen 3 / 4 RNGs I'd be happy to contribute:

Golem (m) lv 100 (Shiny, caught in a Luxury Ball)
Adamant, Rock Head (but I'll Ability Capsule it)
31/31/31/24/31/31
Currently EV trained to 0/252/6/0/0/252
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Sucker Punch/Explosion
OT: Adam 59598

Also Bold / Calm Clefable with Softboiled, but I'll need to retransfer them as UT Cleffa from clones (using the old Emerald cloning trick) sitting on my old Emerald Cart as they can't learn Moonblast as .

Have a load of Zapdos from various Gen IV playthroughs too with Defog (Bold HP Grass, Calm HP Ice, Modest HP Ice, Timid HP Water).

I don't have an easy way to clone on Gen VI though (and won't be around much tomorrow / Sat to help distribute)

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a couple of questions regarding the Competition:
1. Is there any viability in using Gengar with Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb? I'm really tempted to use it with said attack but I'm not sure tbh
2.I'd like to know if Gyarados is a threat big and important enough to teambuild against (like Dragonite), since the team I'm planning to use has some problems against it, so I'd like to know if it is worth my time to look for workarounds inside my team just for it.

And btw, sorry mods if this looks like shameless self-advertising, but for whoever is interested and is still in dire need of one, I'm giving away Sucker Punch Golems HERE (I might give away more stuff like Softboiled Clefs or Body Slam/Double-Edge Tauros/Kang if the demand and my spare time are big enough).

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
1. Is there any viability in using Gengar with Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb? I'm really tempted to use it with said attack but I'm not sure tbh
2.I'd like to know if Gyarados is a threat big and important enough to teambuild against (like Dragonite), since the team I'm planning to use has some problems against it, so I'd like to know if it is worth my time to look for workarounds inside my team just for it.

And btw, sorry mods if this looks like shameless self-advertising, but for whoever is interested and is still in dire need of one, I'm giving away Sucker Punch Golems HERE (I might give away more stuff like Softboiled Clefs or Body Slam/Double-Edge Tauros/Kang if the demand and my spare time are big enough).
1. It's definitely viable over Sludge Bomb. The poison chance can be helpful but extra damage is always good too.
2. If your team completely fails against it you should add something but if it weakens your match up against more common things like Snorlax I wouldn't bother.

1. Most Gengar run Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave for the 30% poison chance. The 5 lower base power usually won't come into play to matter, and the poison chance can turn the tides of battle against something like Snorlax or Chansey (forcing them to heal sooner, allowing you to capitalize on momentum with a switch). Sludge Wave was also an event move on Gengar, so obtaining one with good IVs would be rather difficult for most people.

2. Gyarados should be something you always consider when teambuilding, but thankfully fitting 2-3 checks to it on your team should happen naturally if you've got Clefable and Slowbro (both of which can paralyze Gyara and stay healthy by healing). Unlike Dragonite, Gyarados has a bad case of 4MSS where it wants to run Waterfall, Dragon Dance and then any 2 of Taunt, Crunch, Stone Edge and Iron Head. Scout its movepool and switch to the appropriate check. The only time I've ever been scared of Gyara is when it's run in a double dragon core with Dragonite - where 1 breaks down the other's checks until they're too weak to effectively check the other (thankfully rocks weakens this core's effectiveness so you don't see it much).

Theorymon

I'm gonna post the giveaway thread in about 2 hours, so for those of you who haven't locked your battle boxes: you still got a chance! Sorry for the delays too, I actually had a really bad asthma attack right after the Nintendo Direct x_x

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
1. Most Gengar run Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave for the 30% poison chance. The 5 lower base power usually won't come into play to matter, and the poison chance can turn the tides of battle against something like Snorlax or Chansey (forcing them to heal sooner, allowing you to capitalize on momentum with a switch). Sludge Wave was also an event move on Gengar, so obtaining one with good IVs would be rather difficult for most people.

2. Gyarados should be something you always consider when teambuilding, but thankfully fitting 2-3 checks to it on your team should happen naturally if you've got Clefable and Slowbro (both of which can paralyze Gyara and stay healthy by healing). Unlike Dragonite, Gyarados has a bad case of 4MSS where it wants to run Waterfall, Dragon Dance and then any 2 of Taunt, Crunch, Stone Edge and Iron Head. Scout its movepool and switch to the appropriate check. The only time I've ever been scared of Gyara is when it's run in a double dragon core with Dragonite - where 1 breaks down the other's checks until they're too weak to effectively check the other (thankfully rocks weakens this core's effectiveness so you don't see it much).
The IVs part is the least of my worries (I have a flawless one from the Dream World), but your points of Sludge Bomb are pretty good even if I can accomplish a similar feat with WoW; Sludge Wave has a bigger chance of one-shotting 252/4 Clefs (I made some calcs with it) but I'll definitely consider the idea of using another Gengar with Sludge Bomb over it.

Also my team has like 1-2 resists of Gyara's most common moves, but I don't have stuff like Electric attacks to directly threaten it (my best defense against it are indirect methods like Status) but that core looks scary, I'll definitely keep it in mind as well to do some more modifications to my team; Thanks!

Currently 9-1 with a rating around around 1610. Games so far are a lot shorter than expected. Seen 5 of both Dragonite and Lapras(?) yet only one Clefable.
I'm not shocked on the Clefable thing as she's more of a competitive favorite.

I still expect to see it on 9/10 of the highest ranked teams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)