SM PU Don't Call Me Angel

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Don't Call Me Angel

91F896D9-12B1-491E-AEDE-26BA2B7FF0AC.pngCE65559F-028E-42D8-AC4A-1BE26B508F97.png7752B153-CA0D-43D1-8849-AB664D221F57.pngE6C80596-3BE6-4520-96FA-4C0E630E238A.png529AE80F-A251-489A-B33D-6BFD6940980E.pngCCD3B122-EB10-4507-AEF4-5E09B05A8FC8.png
(click on sprites for importable!!)

Hey, and welcome to my first RMT! I've been wanting to make one for a while, but never liked a team enough up until this point. I built this a little less than a month ago around Carracosta, and I'm pretty happy with how this came out. I hope you'll enjoy this team as much as I do!!

Teambuilding Process

:carracosta:
As mentioned earlier, the team started with Carracosta. There isn't much reasoning behind this choice other than the fact that Carracosta can be an extremely effective and dangerous sweeper when well supported, and I didn't have any legal team with it ever since Guzzlord got banned. It also has more defensive utility than something like Lycanroc or Omastar, and can act as a soft switchin to Normal-types.

:carracosta::froslass:

I knew I wanted to take the offense route, so Froslass was added as it sets Spikes, which Carracosta greatly appreciates as they put Pokémon such as Primeape and Gastrodon in range of its move. Froslass also pairs well with Carracosta both offensively and defensively, as Carracosta appreciates Froslass' ability to pivot in on a healthy Primeape and in exchange, Carracosta deals with Skuntank, Choice-locked Stoutland, and non-Freeze-Dry Cryogonal and can even use them as setup fodder.

:carracosta::froslass::mudsdale:
Mudsdale completes the entry hazards setting core, and acts as a secondary, sturdier soft switchin to Normal-, Skuntank, and some Fighting-types which were issues until this point. It also provides the team with a Volt Switch absorber, which eases the Eelektross matchup as Mudsdale isn't free momentum for it and can cripple it with Toxic.

:carracosta::froslass::mudsdale::victreebel:
Victreebel was added next as it provides the team with an extremely reliable Gurdurr counter, which it lacked. It also forms a very good offensive core with Carracosta as it deals with Gastrodon, Mudsdale, Ferroseed, Regirock, and Quagsire, which Carracosta struggles to beat when they're healthy. In exchange, Victreebel invites in Audino and defensive Altaria for Carracosta to take advantage of.

:carracosta::froslass::mudsdale::victreebel::sandslash-alola:

The team's matchup against Hail teams was tragic and it needed some removal and speed control. To fix these issues, I added Choice Scarf Alolan Sandslash. Not only does it fix the aforementioned issues, it also acts as a secondary answer to Flying-types, as both Oricorio-E and Oricorio-G can deal with Carracosta and Mudsdale without much difficulties.

:carracosta::froslass::mudsdale::victreebel::sandslash-alola::eelektross:
Lastly, Eelektross was added as the team lacked a momentum gainer, a Ground-types switchin, and special wall. While Eelektross isn't a special wall, it can soft check most special attackers and acts as a very reliable Flying- and Ground-types switchin. Moreover, it brings in Carracosta and Alolan Sandslash in safely against Pokémon like Cryogonal.

In-Depth
88F8A5AB-1D5C-4F1E-853D-944B922406ED.png

off to the races (Carracosta) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Carracosta serves as the team's main wincon with Shell Smash, and finds plenty of opportunities to setup between its scary offensive typing, movepool, and Solid Rock. The latter in particular, combined with its bulk, makes it extremely hard to revenge kill as common revenge killer such as Choice Scarf Dodrio and Alolan Sandslash fail to OHKO and give it a ton of setup opportunities against threats like Stoutland, Kangaskhan, Dodrio, and physical Skuntank. Rockium Z was choosen over something like White Herb or Life Orb as it allows it to plow through Tangela, Jellicent, Pyukumuku, and even resists such as Gastrodon after Spikes, and the extra damage Life Orb bring wasn't needed thanks to the Spikes Froslass set. I'm also not a fan of White Herb as it can only be used once, which greatly limits its options. Aqua Jet is what, in my opinion, makes Carracosta so scary. It makes it almost impossible to revenge kill and makes it a nightmare to face for offensive teams that often rely on frail Choice Scarf users such as Primeape and Aurorus. Lastly, Hidden Power Grass was choosen over something like Hydro Pump as it hits Gastrodon without having to use Z and Quagsire, both OHKOed by Hidden Power Grass after Spikes. This also really helps against Stall teams, which would otherwise be unbreakeable for this team. Moreover, Gurdurr is very easy to weaken between Spikes, lack of recovery, and Victreebel's Rocky Helmet and it also often has to check Alolan Sandslash as well.
3E330A5D-3E33-44CD-A5D4-950149F27AFF.png

dark paradise (Froslass) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Froslass is by far the tier's best Spiker and for numerous reasons. First its typing, Speed, and access to Taunt make it very effective at keeping its Spikes up, as it outspeeds every relevant Defog user. Combined with its access to Will-O-Wisp, Froslass is a huge nuisance to most teams. But the reason it was choosen over another Spikes user like Ferroseed or Qwilfish as it can switch into most threats that can revenge kill Carracosta, such as Primeape and Dodrio if Carracosta is weakened. It can also switch on priority moves such as Hitmonchan's Mach Punch and Skuntank and Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch and cripple them, which means Carracosta can setup multiple times in a game. Leftovers were choosen over Colbur Berry as the added longevity is really appreciated, and the team has enough countermeasures against Dark-types anyway. As for the moves, they're pretty standard. Spikes are annoying and allow Carracosta to sweep easily and Victreebel and Eelektross to put more pressure on the opponent's team. Taunt allows Froslass to keep Spikes up against Defog users such as Articuno and Cryogonal and Will-O-Wisp is extremely annoying and allows Froslass to cripple Pokémon reliant on Leftovers recovery, such as Regirock. Ice Beam was choosen over Hex as the team really struggles against Drampa and Alolan Persian can be an issue as well.​

BE6FA01D-B693-4633-83D1-08DD9F6C5D0C.png

without you (Mudsdale) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Mudsdale's typing and ability to act as a switchin to threats like Stoutland, Dodrio, Skuntank, Kangaskhan, and Lycanroc and set Stealth Rock made a very interesting option for this team. While it isn't the sturdiest Normal-type switchin, it works well enough as the team also has Carracosta and another soft switchin to Normal-types in Alolan Sandslash. Mudsdale also helps against Eelektross, as it can block its Volt Switch and Toxic it, which means it can't get free momentum everytime it comes in. Figy Berry gives Mudsdale a one time recovery and is, in my opinion, better than Leftovers as it allows it to deal with Stoutland and such easier. As for the spread, it's pretty standard and helps it against Stoutland, Eelektross and notably allows it to take Choice Scarf Aurorus's Blizzard after Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock don't need an explanation, and Earthquake doesn't either. Toxic is here so Oricorio-E, Eelektross, and Oricorio-G can't freely take advantage of Mudsdale. Rock Slide allows Mudsdale to actually check Dodrio and it also allows it to scare away Cryogonal, allowing Mudsdale to keep Stealth Rock on the field.

06640BBB-F75B-4C65-B67D-88EECB570734.png

video games (Victreebel) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Victreebel's access to Strength Sap and typing make it a very reliable counter to Gurdurr and even some Ground-types like Mudsdale. This, combined with its good offensive presence, made it an ideal choice for this team. It also really appreciates the Spikes Froslass sets and forms an incredible offensive core with Carracosta and Eelektross, as it deals with Ferroseed and a healthy Quagsire, for example. By holding a Rocky Helmet, Victreebel can weaken threats like Gurdurr and Primeape to ease Carracosta's sweep and a Timid nature is used over a Modest one to outspeed Stoutland, which can be an issue as Mudsdale and Alolan Sandslash can easily be overwhelmed. Strength Sap is the reason as to why Victreebel is so good. Not only does it allow it to deal with Gurdurr, it also allows it to 1v1 threats it wouldn't be able to beat otherwise, such as Skuntank and the aforementioned Stoutland. Finally, Hidden Power Fire allows Victreebel to beat Ferroseed and pressure Alolan Sandslash, which both Froslass and Carracosta greatly appreciate.​

7595FBE7-9611-48CB-B392-11D1CA6E4CBD.png

blue jeans (Sandslash-Alola) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Choice Scarf Alolan Sandslash compresses many roles; it's a Flying- and Normal-type resist, decent speed control, Hail check, and removal, which were all needed on this team. It also takes some pressure of Mudsdale and Eelektross as Normal- and Flying-type switchins respectively and it's a decent Froslass check able to get some surprise kills. By holding a Choice Scarf, Alolan Sandslash outspeeds everything up to +2 Turtonator, to which it speedties with. Earthquake allows Alolan Sandslash to revenge kill threats like Simisear, which I lack a switchin to, an opposing Alolan Sandslash under hail, and a weakened Carracosta. Iron Head is the secondary STAB and most notably helps against Aurorus, Cryogonal, and the aforementioned Froslass, to which this team lack a sturdy switchin to. Lastly, Rapid Spin clears the entry hazards off the team's side of the field while keeping the entry hazards Froslass and Mudsdale set on the opponent's side of the field.

7DA6FE79-660B-4A22-984E-B2315A93F46E.png

born to die (Eelektross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 25 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Eelektross acts as the team's soft switchin to special attackers like Alolan Persian and Victreebel and as the team's sole switchin to Ground-types that doesn't take 70% thanks to its very good typing and ability, which grant it with no weaknesses. Due to its impressive coverage and slow Volt Switch, Eelektross is, more often than not, a huge annoyance for the opponent, and this is further bolstered by the Spikes Froslass sets. A Quiet nature with 25 Speed IVs allow Eelektross to underspeed the vast majority of opposing Eelektross while still outspeeding Gurdurr. Giga Drain provides Eelektross with some passive recovery and allows it to hit Pokémon such as Mudsdale, Lanturn, and Gastrodon, which can block its Volt Switch. Flamethrower hits Victreebel and other Grass- and Ice-types like Leafeon and Alolan Sandslash, while Knock Off allows Eelektross to cripple Pokémon that try to take advantage of it and switchins, such as Drampa and Audino.

Threatlist

:carracosta::omastar::ludicolo:
Offensive Water-types are extremely dangerous for this team as the only Water-resist is Victreebel, which fails to deal with these three if the former two are at +2 and if Ludicolo is under Rain. Your best bet is to play around these aggressively, and they can't setup on anything other than a Choice-locked Alolan Sandslash. Out of these three, Ludicolo definitely is the biggest issue as, unlike with Omastar and Carracosta, it's impossible to revenge kill with priority or with Alolan Sandslash in the case of the latter. Ludicolo and Omastar can be dealt with with Eelektross though, if they already used their Z-Move / aren't holding a Z-Crystal, and Froslass outspeeds +2 Carracosta and can burn it. Floatzel and Specs Lanturn also are issues but they're way easier to play around and aren't as common.

:drampa::aurorus:
Both of these claim a kill everytime they come in as my special "wall" is Eelektross lol. They can't switch into anything for free though, and they're very easy to revenge kill and pressure with Spikes and Stealth Rock. While all Drampa has to do is click Draco Meteor, it's way easier to play around Aurorus with Eelektross and Alolan Sandslash.

:hitmonchan::primeape::stoutland:
Stone Edge + Ice Punch Hitmonchan, Choice Band Primeape, and Stoutland are all very scary to face, although they're easier to play around and can switch into even less. I also have actual switchins to these in Mudsdale, Froslass, and Alolan Sandslash, and a way of dealing with them offensively in Victreebel. Moreover, Carracosta can take advantage of a Choice-locked Primeape and Stoutland and use them as setup fodder.

:persian-alola:
Nasty Plot Alolan Persian isn't that much of an issue but it can easily sweep once Eelektross is weakened, and is one of the rare faster Pokémon Carracosta doesn't get rid of with a boosted Aqua Jet thanks to its ability, Fur Coat. It also makes it way harder to revenge kill with Alolan Sandslash. To setup though, it has to take a decent amount from everything, and, with Spikes up, it shouldn't get out of hand and sweep
-----------
This team is pretty offensive, which means it can lack defensive answers to some threats, but none of them are unbeatable. Just by setting Spikes up, most of these Pokémon become way less threatening. By pressuring them offensively and playing smartly, they shouldn't get out of hand.

Replays

I didn't bother saving a lot of replays, but I have these at least!!!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-968886038
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-976137226
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-976361287-lw99lvarlhttakkhefnzjpe56mhch31pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-976643813

i'll edit this with more replays later

Shoutouts

Sorry if I forget anyone, I didn't mean to :c (these are in no particular order btw)

Scizorphobic KellyKafka PhantomHurious - you three are so bad allstarapology Chloe BackAtYouBro Urusius Estarossa Juuno Hilomilo TJ SeelofApproval royesk (i hate u :3) Djokra j0gurt tondas Juuno yogi Stoward Jmash uhuhuhu7 Squash17 ^_^ Horodro TONE tom holland MARCU5theBAW5 Wolfein Specs maroon Hilomilo martha GL Volkner Funbot28 Felines ImKoolKidz sketchy ecchi Many S poi re Hurtadoo Lambovino zSpxdes tlenit1 Mahmudkipz Donphantastic faded love UberSkitty and other nyoomers (lol) and glaceon goons :)

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Hi Gum and cool post. I like the team idea a lot and the HP Grass on carracosta looks super good for your team.

I want to keep the original idea glued together so im only touching one mon, and one item. As you mentioned, your threat list is including most of the normal and fighting types (+persian), but happily there is a bit forgotten mon that actually can coverage most of them over mudsdale;
1568509749757.png

Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind / Toxic
- Rest / Protect

I personally like the rest-cm set which can be turned as a late game sweeper too, but i get if prefer more toxic/tect. Carbinks typing allows it to deal with every normal+fighting types and even bulk up gurdurr is a breakfast for Carbink. Carbink can use at the same time for example skuntank as a set up fodder that tries to get rid off rocks.

At the same time it gives one more mon that is weak to ground type moves so I would replace rocky helmet with air balloon on Victreebel. This gives you a free switch vs. ground type moves and a momentum. You dont need to waste a turn for healing urself back up and risking your next switch in

Anyway, the team looks good and glad you have used a carracosta as a starter to build around. Keep it up!

Cheers!

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello gum, sorry for getting to this late. I have been a bit busy with work and kids. I know we talked about this on a little bit of my free time and I did do a decent amount of team testing before and after my rate changes. With all my testing I feel confident in saying this is a pretty solid team over all, I actually disliked Choice Scarf Alolan Sandslash before rating this, but after playing with it I see a bit of the appeal. On paper you cover most playstyles and threats, and to really try and cover different threats you would just open up new ones. That being said we did discuss the lack of true wallbreaker, as Victreebel is also being used as defenisve utility it finds itself having to put wallbreaking on the backseat, in order to handle Gurdurr and things like that. While I no longer think Alolan Sandslash is a horrible Choice Scarf user we also discussed the want for a faster Choice Scarf user. With all these things in mind, while trying to keep pivots and overall team feel intact, I have found some changes that achieve this, it does however sacrifice a bit of the defensive utility your team has, but gives it much more offensive pressure. NYOOM.

Set Changes:

:sandslash-alola:
:sm/sandslash-alola:
blue jeans (Sandslash-Alola)
@Choice Scarf ---> Chople Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head ---> Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Wanting a faster Scarfer I thought the most straightforward way of keeping some of Alolan Sandslashs utility would be just to change to the offensive Stealth Rock set. Still checks Aurorus and Normal-types, while role compressing Rapid Spin removal with Stealth Rock setting. Normally I don't like role compressing them together as I feel you really struggle to Rapid Spin hazards away in general, but it is even harder when you are constantly trying to keep your hazards up. This team is an ok user of this role compression as you are letting hazard removal take a back seat to hazard setting so really Rapid Spin here just gives you more options, and a defense against Sticky Web offense, which teams such as this are always going to struggle with. Chople Berry is there to help you not lose to Oricorio-Pom-Pom, which actually should work well against players who do not already know you carry one. Leftovers and Figy Berry are still viable options here if you want a bit of recovery this just makes Oriocorio-Pom-Pom a bit tougher to check.

Pokemon Changes:

:mudsdale: ---> :Manectric:
:sm/Manectric:
where is (Manectric) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Changing Mudsdale to Manectric gives you a much faster Choice Scarf user, but also helps give back what some other changes take away. First of all this change does make Lycanroc a lot more threatening to your team, so you have to play well in order to beat it. the good news is Lycanroc can't really set up on any of your Pokemon for free, which really is what makes this change viable as other wise I would have went for something like Primeape here. Manectric is actually a cooler choice here in terms of overall team synergy as it pairs well with the rest of your team very well. It brings in Grass-types and lets you pivot into Alolan Sandslash or Victreebel. It gives you an offensive check to Water-types which trouble you, as well as a way to revenge kill Alolan Sandslash in Hail. A minor thing it also does is still gives your team a way to block Volt Switch, which can be helpful at times.

:eelektross: ---> :kangaskhan:
:sm/kangaskhan:
my shoutout :c (Kangaskhan) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

I had changed this to Stoutland for team testing and was writing out my explenation for Stoutland when I relized that Kangaskhan does all the same Wallbreaking jobs Stoutland does, while giving you more mesures against other offensive teams, so I think Kangaskhan is better here over Stoutland. Eelektross was the most expendable member, really the only reason why that was the choice to change. Manectric helps bring some of Eelektrosses pivoting back so it isn't a total loss in that regard anyway. Having this wallbreaker to help weaken the opposing team for Carracosta made a huge difference in my testing as before I found myself struggling to set up win conditions, but now its a lot easier to weaken and eliminate things so Manectric or Carracosta can win. The double priority really helps your team have ways to deal with faster teams as well, and in tandem with Aqua Jet Carracosta and your very fast Choice Scarf user in Manectric would let me bargain to say you actually have an advantage against them now, which before I feel your team was at a disadvantage against them.

Team Changes <--- Click for Importable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)