Don't Like A Fire In The Rain (Rain OU RTM)

Don't Light A Fire In The Rain (OU Rain Offence)

DON'T LIGHT A FIRE IN THE RAIN

Team At a Glance:

Introduction:
This is a Rain Dance team. I have 4 Pokemon that can set up Rain Dance, this may seem overkill but it provides consistency to the team and makes sure I always have Rain Dance up. The team's strategy is to lead with Zapdos to start up Rain Dance. U-Turn out to either Swampert to set up Stealth Rocks or Kingdra or Gyarados to start to sweep right off the bat. Once my opponent is weakened, I bring out my late game sweeper Ludicolo to finish the enemy off with it's wide type coverage. There are also gimmicky sets involved so be prepared for an unusual treat.

The Lead

Zapdos @ Damp Rock
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/84 Def/36 Spd/140 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- U-turn
- Protect

Zapdos is a great lead for my Rain Dance team. It is not only reliable for setting up Rain Dance but can also make full use of it. Thunder is extremely strong and OHKO many Pokemon. 30% paralysis rate is also great for crippling things that try to switch in and wall you. U-Turn is a great move after Rain Dance because it can let Zapdos scout for counters and allow my sweepers to come in immediately to sweep. Protect is solely for the purpose of surviving Explosions.

Dealing with the top 10 leads in OU:
Azelf - Rain Dance as it Stealth Rocks then protect as it Explodes.
Metagross - Rain Dance as it Stealth Rocks then Protect as it Explodes.
Jirachi - Rain Dance as it Tricks. If you receive a Choice Scarf then it can act as a double edged sword - you can bring Zapdos in late game and sweep with Scarf Thunder in the rain. Then switch to Swampert as it sets up Stealth Rock while you set up your own next turn.
Swampert - Rain Dance as it Stealth Rocks. U-Turn to scout for a switch.
Aerodactyl - If you're feeling lucky, Thunder as it Taunts to activate its Sash and pray for paralysis. Then switch to Swampert to setup Rain and SR.
Infernape - Ignore the Fake Out. Rain Dance as it setups up Stealth Rock then Thunder. Don't worry about Fire Blast as it will do measly damage in the Rain.
Hippowdon - U-Turn out to Swampert. Then Rain Dance as it switches or Roar.
Ninjask - Immediately switch to Scizor and start Bullet Punching.
Bronzong - Rain Dance and then Thunder. U-Turn to Swampert if you feel like setting up SR.
Roserade - Just hope Sleep Powder misses as you try to use U-Turn. If it misses then great, you just broke its Sash and can go to Scizor to start Bullet Punching.
---
The Mixed Sweeper

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk/16 Spd/240 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Rain Dance

IMO this is the most deadly mixed sweeper in the game. Nothing demolishes walls like this in the rain with its Water/Dragon type coverage. Only Vaporeon/Empoleon/Shedinja(lol) stands a chance against this beast. I try to bring this bad boy in as soon as possible (usually after Zapdos U-Turn or Swampert SRs) and blast away with Hydro Pump, catching Celebi and water pokemon like Suicune and Gyarados. From there, Draco Meteor will KO all three (offensive Gyarados actually dies to two Hydro Pumps so you don’t kill your special attack). Then, you are free to sweep with Waterfall, which will do quite a number to anything non-resistant. The EVs put me at 210 speed so I can outspeed Scarf Heatran in the rain.
---
The Gimmick

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 Atk/188 Spd/252 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Thunder
- Ice Fang

Gyarados and Dragon Dance is always a threat. Usually comes in after Scizor sets up Rain Dance and then U-Turn out. Dragon Dance as they switch out. Now you have a rain-boosted Waterfall to demolish everything in sight. Thunder is for water types trying to stop your sweep and has perfect accuracy in the rain. Ice Fang is there for Celebi. Speed allows me to outspeed Starmie after 1 DD and OHKO with Thunder. Special Attack EVs are maxed to give me maximum power for Thunder.
---
The Dual Supporters

Swampert (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Stone Edge

My Stealth Rocker. Swampert provides a much needed electric resistance to the team and also a great switch into both Tyranitar and Hippowdon. Swampert is also a very reliable Pokemon to setup Rain Dance due to its bulkiness. Waterfall is boosted by the Rain and will be extremely strong if you survive a hit and remain on low HP, activating Torrent as well. He is also my only Shedinja counter. But he gets the job done. Switch in to Shedinja and setup Stealth Rock. Then proceed to stone that bug with the edge of your tail...? It he switches out then he won't be switching back in because he'll die to Stealth Rock.
---

Scizor (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/16 Atk/240 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Rain Dance

Scizor is Swampert's best friend. Scizor resists Swampert's 4x Grass weakness while Swampert resists Scizor's 4x Fire weakness. Awesome synergy! This Scizor is my main answer to Tyranitar and Abomasnow who like to change the weather. The great thing about using Scizor to setup Rain Dance is it turns his 4x Fire weakness into a 2x weakness. With the Special Defence EVs, he'll be sure to survive a few Fire Blasts. U-Turn allows Scizor to get the sweepers in and scout as usual. Roost gives with Max HP will let me stay around for a while.The Special Defence EVs allow it to always survive 2 Draco Meteors from Modest Specs Latias, doing only 45-53% to me.
---
The Late Game Sweeper

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

I try to keep this hidden as long as I can. Once the enemy team has been weakened, I can bring this in late game and clean up. Water+Grass STAB along with Ice gives amazing type coverage. Surf is the main attack here, being boosted by Max SpA, STAB, Rain and Life Orb, it gives destructive power. Energy Ball is solely for Vaporeon so he can't stall me out if I only had Grass Knot.
---

Defensive Threats:

Blissey - If it switches into Kingdra, I can easily go for Waterfall. Otherwise, Swampert is a good switch in for the Thunder Wave. I also can switch Scizor in.

Bronzong - Gyarados resists all its hits and the worst it can do is Explosion. DD as it switches.

Celebi - Scizor can switch it to U-Turn. Gyarados can Ice Fang and Ludicolo can Ice Beam.

Cresselia - Scizor can switch it to U-turn. Zapdos can Thunder and Kingdra can Hydro Pump.

Donphan - Gyarados is best switch in. Ludicolo and Kingdra can hit with Surf/Hydro Pump.

Dusknoir - Zapdos can Thunder, Kingdra can Hydro Pump, Ludicolo can Surf.

Forretress - Zapdos can Thunder, Kingdra can Hydro Pump, Ludicolo can Surf.

Gliscor - Ludicolo switch and Ice Beam. Gyarados can switch in to setup or Ice Fang.

Gyarados - Gyarados Thunder will be a surprise. Ludicolo Grass Knot and Zapdos Thunder.

Hippowdon - Swampert, Ludicolo and Kingdra can kill even without the rain.

Jirachi - Zapdos Thunder, Kingdra Hydro Pump, Scizor U-Turn, Ludicolo Surf.
Rotom-A - Swampert, Kingdra, Ludicolo can hit back with STAB water moves.

Skarmory - Kingdra Hydro Pump as they expect the Waterfall. Gyarados can Thunder. Zapdos can Thunder. Ludicolo can Surf.

Snorlax - Kingdra Waterfall. Gyarados setup.

Suicune - Zapdos Thunder. Gyarados Thunder. Ludicolo Grass Knot.

Swampert - Any STAB Water move. Grass Knot from Ludicolo.

Tentacruel - Zapdos Thunder.

Tyranitar - Scizor and Swampert wall him. If it is raining, Ludicolo and Kingdra can outspeed even after a DD and kill with STAB Surf/Waterfall.

Vaporeon - Zapdos can Thunder. Gyarados can Thunder. Ludicolo can Energy Ball.

Zapdos - Swampert walls those without HP Grass. Otherwise, Ludicolo can Ice Beam and Zapdos can Thunder.

Offensive Threats:

Azelf - Usually kills it self. Otherwise, Scizor can Bullet Punch.

Breloom - Scizor Bullet Punch. Ludicolo Ice Beam. Gyarados Ice Fang. Kingdra Draco Meteor.

Dragonite - In the rain, Ludicolo can outspeed after 1 DD and OHKO with Ice Beam.

Dugtrio - Not scary as it can't trap and kill any of my Pokemon from full HP.

Electivire - Swampert walls those without HP Grass. Otherwise, Kingdra Waterfall or Ludicolo Surf.

Gallade - Kingdra Waterfall, Ludicolo Surf, Gyarados setup, Zapdos Thunder.

Gengar - Kingdra and Ludicolo can outspeed. Scizor can Bullet Punch.

Gyarados - Gyarados Thunder, Zapdos Thunder, Ludicolo Grass Knot.

Heatran - Any STAB Water attack. Zapdos Thunder is a OHKO.

Heracross - Any of my sweepers can outspeed and kill.

Infernape - Gyarados can wall it. Kingdra and Ludicolo outspeed and kill with STAB Waterfall/Surf.

Jolteon - Swampert can wall those without HP Grass. Otherwise just need to get Rain up for Ludicolo/Kingdra to outspeed and kill.

Latias - Scizor can switch in and not even Modest Specs Draco Meteor will 2HKO. Bullet Punch or U-Turn after setting up Rain Dance.

Kingdra - My own Kingdra can outspeed and Draco Meteor.

Lucario - Gyarados walls Lucario that don't have Stone Edge. Otherwise in the rain, Kingdra/Ludicolo can take an Extremespeed and OHKO with STAB Waterfall/Surf.

Machamp - Annoying but can be beaten. Setup Rain Dance with Zapdos and Thunder it.

Magnezone - Swampert can wall it. Kingdra Hydro Pump or Ludicolo Surf in the rain.

Mamoswine - Scizor Bullet Punch does good damage. Otherwise, Swampert is a good switch in and can take hits. Kingdra Waterfall or Ludicolo Surf in the rain should OHKO.

Metagross - Usually suicides. Otherwise, Thunder with Zapdos and Kingdra Hydro Pump/Ludicolo Surf.

Porygon-Z - Scizor's Bullet Punch, Ludicolo/Kingdra can outspeed and OHKO in the rain.

Salamence - Salamence can be checked by Scizor's Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock damage. Ludicolo can switch in on a DD, outspeed and OHKO with Ice Beam.

Scizor - Gyarados is the best switch in. DD on the switch.

Starmie - Gyarados can outspeed after a DD if it switches in and Thunder. Zapdos can Thunder. Ludicolo can Grass Knot.

Togekiss - Zapdos Thunder and Ludicolo Ice Beam. Swampert Stone Edge.

Tyranitar - Swampert is my main switch in to wall it's attacks and setup Rain or SR or Waterfall. Scizor is also a good switch in.

Weavile - Scizor easily handles all of Weavile's attacks and can choose betwen U-turning out or Bullet Punching.

Yanmega - Scizor's Bullet Punch will always beat it no matter how many speed boosts it has.

Zapdos - Swampert can wall it if it doesn't have HP Grass. Otherwise, Ludicolo can Ice Beam.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a very good rain dance team so theres not much to say, so much to do with rd teams is personal preference and what you feel best with.

On Ludicolo having Grass Knot and Energy Ball seems a bit overkill, I think it would be better to put either Rain Dance or HP Electric or HP Bug over one of them.

On Kingdra if you put Rain Dance on Ludicolo then i'd change Rain Dance to Signal Beam or HP Electric as Celebi is such a big pain to the mixed sweeper, Gyarados is less annoying but still a pain.

One problem I see is you talk about Scizor taking the Explosions, this is going to hurt it so you might want Protect somewhere on Zapdos, you could put it over Roost, all your supporters are bulky anyway.

I don't see the point of having Stone Edge on Swampert solely for Shedinja, its so uncommon you might as well just take the loss and Earthquake, Ice Beam or Avalanche would probably be better. Also use an Impish nature if you stick to all physical.

Now Gyarados I've never really tried it so if you like it and it works then fine keep it but a SD Kabutops or Qwilfish may be better over it, up to you though.

Anyway, its a good team so wasn't much to say. Have you had a lot of success with it?

Good Luck! :)

Okay, I'm not an experienced rater, but here we go...

Zapdos seems to be an okay lead, but it doesn't set up Rocks and Rain, like Azelf or Jirachi could. Jirachi is quite similar to Zapdos, as the both get Thunder and U-Turn. I would suggest running this set:

Code:
Jirachi @ Damp Rock
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/80 SpA/176 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn/Wish
This will give you a Stealth Rocker and Rain Dancer both in your lead, and If you opt for Wish, you give the rest of your team a bit more survivability.

Kingdra is fine as it is.

Gyarados is a great pokemon to use, but I don't think your using it to its full potential. Thunder only does 81.6%-96.27% to a standard 136/156/0 Starmie. Gyarados has terrible SpA, and would be better of using Stone Edge and max Attack. I would suggest the following set:

Code:
Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang/Bounce
This is a fairly standard set. Bounce might look sort of silly, but it always OHKOs Celebi after a DD. Stone Edge and Waterfall give you the same coverage as your Swampert (unless you change him).

Speaking of Pert, I must say that the set you have was quite good, but with Jirachi setting up Rocks he could do much more. Everything other than the moveset is perfectly fine. I would suggest

Code:
 - Earthquake
 - Ice Beam
 - Rain Dance
 - Roar/Waterfall
Note that Waterfall is only an option... with all the Water this team already had, Swampert would be better of aiming for great coverage that the rest of the team lacks. Roar also gives you some shuffling, something to do in between rains.
Also note, if you do decide to keep the current set, Relaxed does nothing for you, as you already have no special moves. Impish would be better.

As for Scizor, he could probably use some more Atk EVs and/or Superpower, but I don't know where to fit it. Over U-Turn perhaps?

As for Ludicolo-Energy Ball in this situation is superior, and Grass Knot isn't needed. With Surf killing Bulky Grounds, Grass Knot is better on Suicune, but Energy Ball is better on the more common Vaporeon. With the extra move slot you could do a lot of things. You could either add Rain Dance (Lifting the need to Rain Dance from Scizor, so you can run the CB set)Leech Seed or Substitute. If you want something more offensive, you could run HP Bug for Celebi or Focus Blast for extra coverage.

On Ludicolo having Grass Knot and Energy Ball seems a bit overkill, I think it would be better to put either Rain Dance or HP Electric or HP Bug over one of them.

On Kingdra if you put Rain Dance on Ludicolo then i'd change Rain Dance to Signal Beam or HP Electric as Celebi is such a big pain to the mixed sweeper, Gyarados is less annoying but still a pain.

One problem I see is you talk about Scizor taking the Explosions, this is going to hurt it so you might want Protect somewhere on Zapdos, you could put it over Roost, all your supporters are bulky anyway.

I don't see the point of having Stone Edge on Swampert solely for Shedinja, its so uncommon you might as well just take the loss and Earthquake, Ice Beam or Avalanche would probably be better. Also use an Impish nature if you stick to all physical.

Now Gyarados I've never really tried it so if you like it and it works then fine keep it but a SD Kabutops or Qwilfish may be better over it, up to you though.

Anyway, its a good team so wasn't much to say. Have you had a lot of success with it?

Good Luck! :)
Thanks I've switched Grass Knot for Rain Dance on Ludicolo and Roost for Protect on Zapdos.

I don't mind Celebi or Gyarados because I usually start Hydro Pumping as they switch in. Then they are both OHKO by Draco Meteor.

My Gimmick Gyarados has been really successful. I has saved me being walled by water types and have allowed me to kill Skarmory as it comes in to wall me.

This team has had a lot of success but I sometimes lose due to bad play and or hax. I think I'm just not an experienced battler so I tend to switch in the wrong Pokemon into the wrong enemy. Confusion and sleep have also annoyed me.
Zapdos seems to be an okay lead, but it doesn't set up Rocks and Rain, like Azelf or Jirachi could. Jirachi is quite similar to Zapdos, as the both get Thunder and U-Turn.

Note that Waterfall is only an option... with all the Water this team already had, Swampert would be better of aiming for great coverage that the rest of the team lacks. Roar also gives you some shuffling, something to do in between rains.
Also note, if you do decide to keep the current set, Relaxed does nothing for you, as you already have no special moves. Impish would be better.

As for Scizor, he could probably use some more Atk EVs and/or Superpower, but I don't know where to fit it. Over U-Turn perhaps?
I need Zapdos for a stronger Thunder. I also has a ground resistance.

I changed the nature of Swampert. Waterfall may seem unnecessary due to the large amount of Water this team already has but it is a reliable STAB and gets boosted in the rain. I need it for Tyranitar and Hippowdon.

That Scizor isn't suppose to be a sweeper. It is a support tank.

Thanks everyone for rating my team. Keep up the comments xD!

This team is looking pretty good. I've got just a few pieces of advice, stuff I've learned from playing hundreds of matches in the rain on Shoddy. There's a few threats that you have addressed in theory, but have given me trouble on a Rain Dance Team.

-DD Gyara, You have thunder and such on a lot of people, so this might not be too big of an issue, but if he gets off a DD do you really have anyone that can kill him without being killed? You only have two Swift Swimmers, neither of which can OHKO and a +1 attack Gyarados in never a nice thing, especially in the rain.

-Togekiss, paraflinch can bring a fast sweeping team to its knees like nothing else. This being said, I would have a move that can hurt Togekiss badly on Scizor, that or have another steel type or else you can get haxed to death and never have a chance to hit back.

-Kingdra, not too much of a problem, but can be a real pain if he comes in late in the game. His typeing is rock solid against a team like this and can be a really pain late game.

-Umbreon, Oh my. Do not underestimate this. Ever. I had to completely restructure my team because of this guy. Yawn, Protect, Wish, Payback is such a B****. He'll stall out your rain and yawn anyone that comes it that tries to set up. With his more then respectable defenses, he'll survive even in the Rain and stall you out. A serious pain to be sure.

-Hail Stall teams. Abamasnow resists water and Ice, even with his horrible typeing and can be a serious pain, switching in, stopping rain, switch out. While water is neutral to Ice, many of the teams employ subsititutes to avoid Ice's weakness. This counters the raw attacking power of a rain dance team well. Just something to consider.

-Blissey, now I wouldn't bother to mention this, except you run a team very similar to me stratgey wise. What happens is with Swampert, Kingdra, Gyara and such is you present a very physical attacking front. Now this is fine until the end of the game when You've got Ludicolo and he gets walled completely by Blissey which hasn't come out yet due to all your physical attackers. For all of the reasons I would seriously consider running a fighting type move on Scizor to counter Umbreon, Blissey and Hail stall all in one blow.

A couple notes on strategy:
- Everyone switches in Steel types to Kingdra so he's a very good scout to see if they have a Empoleon or something similar, that being said, Rain Dance teams tend to fire off super-powered attacks blindly, while this is good and all, never do it with DracoMeter, you'll get walled bad.

-You don't have a Rapid Spinner so I would run a lead with taunt. This helps to keep risidual damage build up to a minimum on your sweepers who have to deal with Life Orb and priority attacks already. Crobat would do a fair job of this given his speed. He also has U-Turn and roost. This makes you a bit more weak to suicide leads, but they're not as popular as the once were.

-You have a lot of power on the Team, but only two swift swimmers. This causes a lack in the instantaneous threat Rain Dance causes, but that's personal preference and play style.

-Scizor doesn't seem to be doing a lot for your team. I would switch him with a Jirachi

Jirachi @ Damp Rock
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
- Rain Dance
- U-Turn
- Thunder
- Wish

I recommend you at least try this on your team. The Wish support is priceless with all the Life Orb you have going. It can swich into a locked outrage as well as spread Paralysis through out a team with Serene Grace. Its also a really good Togekiss counter.

-I would switch Energy Ball for Grass Knot. This hits all bulky waters + Gyarados a lot harder. Its still a 2HKO on Vaporeon. I used to run Energy Ball, but I swiched. You can see some damage calculations for it on Ludicolo's page.

That's just my thoughts on your team.

-N3uby

Edit: By the way, why is the thread titled "Don't like a fire in the Rain." but at the top it says "Don't light a fire in the Rain."

I'd put Lefties on Scizor, and then maybe even replace rain dance with SD or something. Rain dance on him is cool, but since everyone else has it it seems redundant to me.

Edit: After reading the other posts, that Jirachi idea seems good too. :3

I'll try my hand at this team.

Zapdos: I have found from my rain teams that I personally prefer Azelf as a suicide lead that gets up rain and rocks then either kills or severely dents something with explosion. It also completely shuts down Swamperts. If you like Zapdos more, that is fine. I just thought I would throw the suggestion out there.

Kingdra: After much testing, I have come of the opinion that a pure special Kingdra works better in rain than a mixed Kingdra. With the pure-special option, you can put ev's into speed, allowing you to outrun +1 +Nature Latias/Gengar in the rain, which is invaluable. A set for that would be:

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Modest
4 HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Spe
Hydro Pump/Surf
Signal Beam
Hidden Power [Electric]
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

This thing tears holes in teams. Max Sp Atk is for the hardest hit possible, and max speed is to speed tie with DD Kingdra's that carry swift swim just for rain teams. If you do not want to use 252 speed, use at least 232, as that lets you outrun the afore mentioned scarfed pokemon. Hydro Pump is the superior option over Surf as it gains OHKO's on Skarmory, Rotom-A, and Machamp after SR, even if it can miss. Signal Beam hits Celebi and HP hits Gyarados. Dragon Pulse does everything Draco Meteor does besides OHKO defensive Nite and Latias, but it does not miss or lower your SpA, so it is generally better.

Gyarados: Ditch thunder, and maybe him all together. If you want a boosted STAB Waterfall in rain, use SD Kabutops- he does that job better. Ktops also gets STAB Stone Edge and priority Aqua Jet. A fine addition to any rain team, a good set would look something like this:

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Adamant
32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spe
Waterfall
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet/X-Scissor/Aerial Ace/Brick Break

Another very powerful force. Max attack is once again obvious, and 32 HP gives a LO number. 204 Ev's were put into speed to go above a speed tier. The extra were put into speed to outrun stuff not kind enough to fall on a nice, easy tier, however, they could go anywhere. Waterfall is your main STAB, Stone Edge has the power to OHKO a Gyarados after SR and Intimidate, which Rock Slide cannot do. Swords Dance is for predicted switches, and the last slot is mostly filler. Aqua Jet can finish off weakened pokes and even sweep after a SD. X-Scissor kill Celebi, Aerial Ace can hit Breloom, and Brick Break can break screens. This set is very fierce.

Swampert: No offense here, but this guy really shouldn't be on a rain team. Bronzong and Jirachi both make better support pokes than him. The Jirachi set has been given, the Bronzong set looks like this:

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
Levitate
Careful/Sassy
252 HP/168 Def/88 Sp Def
Rain Dance
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Reflect/Gyro Ball

Bronzong is great at setting up rain and then blowing up. The ev's give him a close balance defensively. While the analysis says he does not need Sp Def ev's because of rain weakening fire attacks, I disagree. Bronzong replenishes rain, and does not spend much time in it, warranting the ev's. Reflect weakens priority moves, and Gyro Ball can damage random stuff. Sassy if you choose Gyro Ball, Careful otherwise. Also, if you choose Gyro Ball, run a 0 Speed IV.

Scizor: Use the same build and love him.

Ludicolo: I personally prefer Grass Knot, but that is just me.

Overall, a fairly good team. You need to get at least one swift swimmer to 264 Speed outside of rain: that allows you to outrun +1 +Nature base 110's.

Good Luck!

OK let me try out Kabutops > Gyarados and Jirachi > Zapdos for a try. I'll also try out the pure Special Kingdra.

I'll come back once I've had a few matches.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pure special Kingdra can work but you have to have a team around it that can deal with the pokemon that cause it problems as otherwise stall destroys you. I for example on my last rd team used a swords dance ludicolo alongside a special kingdra as it was unexpected so Blisseys would switch in and be taken out by a +2 Waterfall. Unless you change your team a lot special Kingdra just won't be so great for you as mixed Kingdra.

joel22 has a very good point about the special Kingdra. If Kabutops works out, then that can generally deal with Blissey, as if it stays in, it dies, and if it switches out, something else either dies or is 2HKO'd easily. Scizor can also be a safe switch-in to Blissey (I haven't seen as many with flamethrower these days) and can dent it with U-Turn/BP or maim it with Superpower, should you choose to use that (it would have to go over roost, which would hurt Scizor's survivability considerably). However, if Kabutops does not fit in your team and Scizor doesn't help, keep the mixed Kingdra. However, I would recommend you try out an Ev Spread that would use at least 232 Spe Ev's so that you have something to outrun timid scarf Latias/Gengar in the rain. The best spread I have found is 84 Atk/192 Sp Atk/232 Spe with a Rash Nature. The attack ev's allow a 2HKO 100% of the time on standard Blissey factoring in leftovers and no Stealth Rock. 232 speed has already been explained, and the rest is put into special attack. While this set does not pack the punch that your current one does, it is still viable for outrunning several threats to rain teams and scoring the OHKO.

Good luck!

EDIT: I made a factual mistake in stating that it 2HKO's a Blissey 100% of the time without SR. Actually, it will 2HKO over 50% without SR, and will 2KHO over 90% (and I believe it may actually be 100%) of the time with leftovers and SR, and will definitely 2HKO with SR, leftovers, and a switch-in to sponge an attack.

But the thing is Blissey likes to use Thunder Wave. That's why I have Swampert there. I think I'll stick with Mixed Kingdra because if I change my team too much, it probably just mimic other typical Rain Dance teams. I want my team too be special, hence the gimmick Gyarados.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)