ORAS OU Don't mess with Staraptor - Peaked #1 on Showdown!'s ladder

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
SnowCristal presents...

Logo by Zeno
Hi everyone Smogon! It's Snow here, and after changing nickname, I decided to commemorate this event by posting one of my best teams, if not the best, ORAS OU that allowed me to peak #1 on PS ladder with the nick Ancient Song! The team is an offensive one, based on the sweep of Charizard Y, with the support of Assault Vest Bisharp who traps latwins and hurts Chansey badly, despite her being quite rare.
Afterwards I added Latias, in order to defog and having switch ins onto Keldeo and opposing Char Y.
Then I added
Breloom, who offers an always effective sleep move and makes pokemon like Bisharp useless thanks to its strong priority. At this point I added bulky Garchomp, one of the best SR setter that in most cases is the lead of the team, with Breloom. He basically is my weapon to weaken physical threats like Lopunny, Metagross, Char X etc.
Last but not least, the Cleaner/Revenge killer of the team, Staraptor, its a pokemon able to tear huge holes to the opponent's team and it cleans even the most prepared teams against Bird Spam.
Here's how my team looks at first glance!

In detail...

Impossible (Staraptor) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat

Staraptor! Absolutely an amazing pokemon. It's able to punch through holes and deal unfixable damages even to the best built balanced and offensive teams. His dual STABs of 120 base power, boosted by the trait that Dream World gifted it, make it almost unresisted, expecially during late game, where it becomes lethal. His moves should be clear enough, alongside the 2 monstrous stabs, able to hit almost the whole metagame, I added a volturn move, which oftens attracts pokemon like Skarmory and Klefki, preys for Char Y, I also added Close Combat, another move with same power who damages heavily many steels, like Heatran or rock types like Tyranitar.

Smoke Clouds (Bisharp) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

And with Char Y, the pursuitter can't absolutely miss in there, the pokemon who is able to get rid of the only decent "counters" like latwins and the pink fat blob. In my case, I chose Bisharp because sand doesn't bother it, like Tyranitar and it also offers a powerful priority, becoming, when needed, in one of the most potent sweeper of the metagame thanks to its great Defiant ability. The moves are the most obvious ones, except for pursuit which is often a great move against the most frail mons, like Thundurus or Gardevoir, or just to trap Mega Metagross.

Get Down (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Here's Charizard Y afterwards, one of my favourite Mega Evolutions, if not my fav one, expecially under the competitive aspect. It doesn't take much for this blazing lizard to melt even a Heatran with his powerful Fire Blast! For this reason I preferred Modest, by maxing the damages, without risking any Tie, since Mega Gardevoirs are recently seen Modest. The other moves are obvious, but powerful in thier obviousness: SolarBeam is a monstrous weapon against any bulky water, expecially Rotom-W, Keldeo (who can't afford to stay against Char Y in sun) and Slowbro, and then we have Focus Blast, able to hit TTar (expecially if scarf) and the most fearsome Heatrans! Then we got Roost, recovery move which makes it last longer and allows it to deal damages longer without any risk.​

Recovery (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 168 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Garchomp has become one of the best SR leads for Hyper Offense and some balances. Its ability to take any hit that is not a meteor from a latwin or a stab ice beam, makes it extremely longlasting and annoying, expecially in case the opponent runs Spinners like Excadrill. Various Ice punches, without any significant damage before, aren't enough to KO it and for this reason Garchomp is ideal for HOs, starting to deal damages to pokemon who would otherwise be annoying. The moves are quite obvious, exception made for endure which makes almost useless pokemon like Talonflame, Metagross, Lopunny and Char X.

Certain Things (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed

Breloom in XY was one of the most dangerous pokemon you could ever face, and it tormented BW with its Swords Dance set. In this team, I decided to use a sash variant for the mushroom, which is tough for all the teams, expecially Sand with Excadrill + TTar. Other than the overgod priority, Breloom has a powerful multihit move, able to hurt badly Clefable and/or kill it if lucky (which it never happens to me, but ok). The move Rock Tomb is essential to hit Charizards, Nadus-T and various Talonflames or Altaria not evolved yet on the switch in(and maybe in that case slowering it down in case it was DD).​

Roses (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
Latias in my opinion, is the second best defogger in the game (after Togekiss obviously). A very good natural bulk even if used offensive, discrete damages and staying power worth like the best balance mons. Safe switch in to Charizard Y except for the rare Dragon Pulse, and, except also for a burn from the beloved scald, or some predict with Icy Wind + specs, one of the best switch ins to the swordsman pony.

ETT, if you want to try it :)

Smoke Clouds (Bisharp) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Recovery (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 168 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Impossible (Staraptor) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat

Certain Things (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed

Roses (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Get Down (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Special thanks to my frens to helping me with the team in the testing phase, especially amber lamps :)

hey love the team! really glad to see staraptor bc its my fav pokemon :]]

I only have on suggestion and that is the Latias spread I would change it to: 72 HP/ 184 SpA / 252 Spe
this helps you take on Thundurus-I, which could get annoying looking at the team.
Other than that I have no complaints very solid team congrats on your peak :]
Keep up the good work with the arsenal really love the teams

Hi n_n ,Nice rmt :) and a solid Team :D ,I personally loves to use Zard Y I will just suggest a little tweak I.e. change you latais' evs or switch to latios,Standard Latais evs is 72 HP / 184 SpA and 252 Speed but if u need more power then try Latios over Latais with same set and 252 spa / 252 spe evs 29 HP IVs is used on Latios to take less damage from rocks so if u wanna try Latios feel free to use it :]…

I think Flamethrower>Fire blast on zard Y so u can also try this btw Solid team.

P.S. Good luck,Have Fun :D

Real soild team. My only advice is have you tried healing wish over roost on latias to bring back a poke to full hp.
Roost is important on Latias to counter Zard Y :3

Seems like a pretty solid team. Like everyone has said before, try doing the 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe to take on a more bulkier offensive Pokemon role with Latias. Another thing I would suggest is trying Stone Edge over Endure on Garchomp. At first, this sounds like a wacky ass idea.
But, hear me out.
This team seems to have a slight weakness against Stallbreaker Talonflame w/ defensive support (Slowbro, Skarmory, or really anything that beats Staraptor). It seems like its Wisp really gives this team trouble, since the only Pokemon that can take the Wisp on this team is Charizard-Y (which obviously can't deal with Talonflame overall) and your Defensive Garchomp. Now, most Stallbreaking Talonflames will lead out on the Garchomp to attempt to Taunt you before the Rocks. You can take advantage of this and surprise the Talonflame first turn with Stone Edge to get this problem out the way.
If, let's say, Talon gets a free switch in on Charizard-Y and you're forced to go to Garchomp on the Wisp (they essentially have no reason not to spam Wisp because they know you're forced to switch since you can't touch them). Your Garchomp gets burned so the user of the Talonflame sees there's no reason to not go for the Taunt, in which you can again surprise them with the Stone Edge.

0 Atk burned Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 238-282 (66.2 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Stone Edge damage forces them to Roost, which then you can use Earthquake to follow up with until their forced to switch. Them being weakened then supports your Charizard-Y since they'll have to sack to get a free switch in back to Talonflame to Roost, which then gives you a free switch in to let's say Staraptor to pick up another kill.

Anyways, that's just a small, wacky suggestion. You can try it out, but if you aren't feelin it, w/e, the team seems like it's already done what it's supposed to do anyways. Like I said before, solid team.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Jolly Zard X looks extremely threatening for this team, able to set up on Zard Y and plough through a few members of the team with ease. It does find setup limited if you play well though. Apart from that, this teams looks both solid and creative with the use of Staraptor so good job on that, I would offer an actual rate but I'm not sure what to change that doesn't open up more weaknesses.

EDIT: I guess Endure Chomp reduces the effect of Zard somewhat

Hi there,
I gave this team a try and I have only one thing to improve abd that would be to change roost to hidden power fighting on latias because honestly it has been of more use to me. And also malt as mentioned above wrecks this team unless you have rocks preset and bisharp predicts a switch in to it or you switch in bisharp on defog. Nice team none the less keep improvin' it!

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey snow, nice team to ladder with since it looks very offensive having switch ins for most of the threats isnt needed at all, specially if u can revenge them i just wanna suggest a couple of small changes to make the team better
  • First change i'd make will be Timid > Modest on ZardY simply because i've see a lot of Kyub running +Speed nature and your team has 0 switch ins basically u have to sack something, but with ZardY Timid you can easily outspeed it and KO after recoil LO with Fire Blast without sacking at least 2 mons or sending ur scarfer which can easily be predicted.
  • I'd to recomended a Spread of Bisharp AV to live 2 HP Fire Latios if it come down to that, so u can trap it easily without forcing the 50/50 with suckerpunch and still enough speed for defensive mons like rotom etc.
  • Stallbreaker talon is a pain for your team, so Toxic > Endure will be a great option to catch those fat mons like hippowdon, quagsire,etc . and next time Staraptor is in can 2hko mostly of this mons with prior damage like 2 sr switch in + toxic damage.
  • And last if u remove endure of Chomp u gotta make your Staraptor Jolly because ZardX will be a huge problem, but after rocky helmet + rough skin it be in range of BB even Jolly staraptor.
Bisharp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 36 HP / 192 Atk / 144 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
hope i help u man and gratz for ur peak

Last edited:
Hey man , nice team.

Looks really fun to use and obviously very powerful. I would like to make one change , I suggest you run Keldeo instead of breloom , as your team is really weak to Weavile , something you have no switch ins for and if Stealth Rock is up Staraptor is doomed (252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Staraptor: 218-257 (70 - 82.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock), and you will be forced to go for mach punch with Breloom hence losing momentum. Other than that this team looks really cool and grats on your peak. Hope I helped. :D

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
cool team fren, here are some suggestions:
From what i've seen, this team struggles a lot to take down Ferrothorn. Breloom isn't storng enough for it, Staraptor and Bisharp gets crippled, Garchomp and Latias gets walled. A team with a combination of, for example, Ferrothorn + SpDef Talonflame can be a real pain. So i suggest testing out Fire Blast>Endure on Garchomp. While garchomp can sometimes be helpful versus stuff like zardx and Lop, it's too situational and it's not like you just lose to those mons w/o Endure.
Another thing that should be tested out is Healing Wish>Roost on the Latias. While testing the team, i actually never used Roost, since it is an offensive team you'll most likely find yourself wanting to double switch or something like that instead of losing momentum going off for the heal. Healing Wish provides a lot of support for this team in general.
Gl with the team!

I'd also like to know how you handle stall, like previously asked by KidMagic. I can picture Mega Sableye, Chansey and Skarmory together all giving this team an awfully hard time.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Generally I try to pursuit chansey with bisharp or to force the seismic toss on chomp and then sweep with char y

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)