Rejected - Inactive Don't notify when we block challenges/PMs

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
This is more so of a suggestion that is more important once we get permanent block features, but I find the recent change to notify you once someone is trying to message or challenge you when you're blocking those to be quite irritating. I always block challenges to simply not get all the notifications when random people always want to challenge staff members, but this new notifications just make it as annoying as having to decline the challenges in the first place. I get that they're useful if you ever forget you're blocking these if someone specific is trying to talk to you or a play for some tournament, but at least give us the option to disable the notifications if we so choose.

pre

pkmn.cc
Are you actually getting browser notifications for these? If so, it's a bug - the intention is that you get a PM from ~ but it doesnt trigger a browser notification. As for why there's a PM at all?
Zarel said:
The code was never intended to support long-term disabling of challenges or PMs, for UX reasons. It's too vulnerable to exploits: Your friend disables PMs and you'd have no idea, and maybe not even know how to turn it off. One solution would be to show a warning the first time a PM or challenge is blocked, every session.
Zarel

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I don't remember if I get a browser notification or not from it, restart messages from ~ does give me ones through chrome if they go off the same system, but I mostly just meant the fact that you're notified through the message from ~. Anyway, the one that PMs or challenges would know that the other one is blocking and my problem is mostly with challenges, to which you can still just message the other guy and tell that they're blocking challenges. Just let us who know what, how, and why we're blocking to remove the messages if we so choose, because then it's on us for ignoring the safety system in place instead of it never being there in the first place, and keep it there for first time users.

pre

pkmn.cc
I don't remember if I get a browser notification or not from it, restart messages from ~ does give me ones through chrome if they go off the same system, but I mostly just meant the fact that you're notified through the message from ~.
Messages from ~ can be notifying or non-notifying, the ones we are talking about are (or should be) non-notifying.

Anyway, the one that PMs or challenges would know that the other one is blocking and my problem is mostly with challenges, to which you can still just message the other guy and tell that they're blocking challenges. Just let us who know what, how, and why we're blocking to remove the messages if we so choose, because then it's on us for ignoring the safety system in place instead of it never being there in the first place, and keep it there for first time users.
When I originally implemented this I argued this down to only happening for the first blocked challenge/PM in a session. Doing this for 'the first blocked PM/challenge ever' for users requires persistence. And the root problem Zarel wants to solve is that the person toggling block PMs or challenges is not necessarily the same person who is affected by it, which is hard to fix without the non-notifying PM.

Kalalokki

Sprite Leader
Doing this for 'the first blocked PM/challenge ever' for users requires persistence.
I know this won't happen until we get the persistence, I just feel it's something that everyone doesn't need to be reminded by at every new session. Before there even was a session-based toggle that we have now, I've used and known several people that have used scripts to just auto-block challenges upon log-in, similar to what people used to do before auto-joining rooms was a thing.
And the root problem Zarel wants to solve is that the person toggling block PMs or challenges is not necessarily the same person who is affected by it, which is hard to fix without the non-notifying PM.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I suppose I'll comment here since my request is pretty much mostly this verbatim and this is over a year old.

The general sentiment of it being completely unnecessary to ping to tell you that someone tried to challenge you is the same, though I'm fine with the blocked PMs message cause people attempting to pm you can still be useful information unlike challenges(honestly the point of blocking challenges is not to get pinged or highlighted for it anyways and with pms you can at least get the message telling you if specific users try to pm you so there's merit to that at least imo).

I can also add that iirc it doesn't give you a desktop notification when someone does this, it does however change the tab icon to the same one when you're highlighted while you're tabbed off of PS which is something I personally find very irritating about it.

To my knowledge and what I've been told, this is already a feature for global auth to be able to toggle the system notification off, why not just make this universal? Limiting it to globals just adds an extra inconvenience especially to room staff that they're highlighted for no reason because some random person on the userlist decided to chal them even though challenges are blocked. It's definitely irritating to think you're highlighted only to find that it's just a system notif that someone tried to chal you which happens -a lot- especially in big rooms like Lobby.

I'd appreciate the ability for everyone to be able to toggle the system notif on/off if not be able to disable it for the session since to my understanding that's already a thing for global auth to be able to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)