Resource DOU Roles Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Yoda2798
1621106118517.png

art by GenOne

Welcome to the SS Doubles OU Roles Compendium! This thread will serve as a visual resources for team roles that should find themselves on almost every team. Pokemon are in the same order on the SS Doubles OU Viability Rankings.

The "Checks" section will be split into Solid and Shaky categories, with the former being generally a reliable check while the latter being not so dependable. Pokemon from Tiers 1-4 on the VR are all included. Tier 5s and Unranked Pokemon are not counted. All other sections are are divided into Common and Uncommon. Common Pokemon are not only common in the metagame, but also run the move a majority of the time. Uncommon Pokemon are people that don't seen much usage in tournaments or ladder, even if they always fit the category. The section also included common Pokemon that don't always run the move or fill the role.

This is not the thread to discuss the viability of Pokemon; you should use the SS Doubles OU Viability Rankings or the
SS Doubles OU Metagame Discussion threads. You may however suggest changes to the categories, such as if you believe a Pokemon in the Shaky category is actually a Solid check or you believe I forgot some Pokemon in one of the other categories. Right now, I am handling all changes, but I might recruit some qualified players to vote on potential changes. If I blatantly missed something, I will add it in myself. You are also welcome to suggest adding more categories until the utility section.

Checks

Kyurem-Black
Solid: :diancie: :genesect: :incineroar: :urshifu: :metagross: :tapu-lele: :celesteela: :zapdos-galar:
Shaky: :dragapult: :porygon2: :tapu-fini: :mew: :naganadel: :nihilego:

Rillaboom
Solid: :kyurem-black: :amoonguss: :genesect: :heatran: :incineroar: :naganadel: :zapdos: :celesteela: :tsareena: :volcarona: :zapdos-galar:
Shaky: :tapu-fini: :volcanion: :metagross: :tapu-lele: :nihilego:

Amoonguss
Solid: :safety-goggles: :kyurem-black: :heatran: :incineroar: :volcanion: :necrozma: :tapu-lele: :zapdos: :celesteela: :tsareena: :volcarona: :zapdos-galar:
Shaky: :rillaboom: :tapu-fini: :metagross: :mew:

Diancie
Solid: :rillaboom: :amoonguss: :genesect: :urshifu: :landorus: :metagross: :celesteela:
Shaky: :tapu-fini: :volcanion: :zygarde: :mew: :kingdra: :landorus-therian: :tsareena:

Dragapult
Solid: :diancie: :incineroar: :porygon2: :tapu-fini: :zeraora: :naganadel:
Shaky: :dragapult: :genesect: :indeedee-f: :kingdra:

Genesect
Solid: :heatran: :incineroar: :volcanion: :urshifu: :zapdos: :volcarona:
Shaky: :genesect: :tapu-fini: :celesteela:

Heatran
Solid: :tapu-fini: :urshifu: :zygarde: :landorus: :kingdra: :landorus-therian: :zapdos-galar:
Shaky: :kyurem-black: :dragapult: :heatran: :volcanion: :mew:

Incineroar
Solid: :diancie: :tapu-fini: :urshifu: :volcanion: :zygarde: :landorus: :kingdra: :nihilego: :landorus-therian: :zapdos-galar:
Shaky: :heatran:

Porygon2
Solid: :rillaboom: :amoonguss: :incineroar: :urshifu: :zapdos-galar:
Shaky: :zeraora: :zygarde: :metagross: :zapdos: :landorus-therian:

Tapu Fini
Solid: :rillaboom: :amoonguss: :zeraora: :zapdos: :naganadel: :tsareena:
Shaky: :kyurem-black: :porygon2: :nihilego: :tapu-lele:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike
Solid: :rillaboom: :amoonguss: :dragapult: :tapu-fini: :zeraora: :landorus: :mew: :naganadel: :zapdos:
Shaky: :volcanion: :necrozma: :tapu-lele:

Volcanion
Solid: :kyurem-black: :dragapult: :zeraora: :landorus: :mew: :naganadel: :zapdos:
Shaky: :tapu-fini: :porygon2: :urshifu: :volcanion: :zygarde: :nihilego: :landorus-therian:

Zapdos
Solid: :kyurem-black: :diancie: :zeraora: :zygarde: :nihilego:
Shaky: :dragapult: :heatran: :porygon2:

Zeraora
Solid: :rillaboom: :amoonguss: :zygarde: :landorus: :landorus-therian:
Shaky: :incineroar:

Zygarde
Solid: :kyurem-black: :rillaboom: :porygon2: :tapu-fini: :mew: :tapu-lele: :landorus-therian: :tsareena:
Shaky: :dragapult: :genesect: :incineroar: :urshifu: :naganadel:

Trick Room
Solid: :amoonguss: :diancie: :urshifu: :volcanion: :porygon2:
Shaky: :rillaboom: :heatran: :incineroar: :zeraora: :mew: :tapu-lele:

Speed Control

Tailwind: (Common) :mew: :zapdos: :naganadel: (Uncommon) :pelipper: :ribombee: :tornadus: :togekiss:
Icy Wind / Electroweb: (Common) :kyurem-black: (Uncommon) :tapu-fini: :porygon2: :zeraora: :blastoise: :politoed:
Trick Room Setters: (Common) :diancie: :porygon2: (Uncommon) :mew: :necrozma: :cresselia: :hatterene:
Trick Room Beneficiaries: (Common) :amoonguss: :diancie: :heatran: :porygon2: :volcanion: (Uncommon) :metagross: :hatterene: :torkoal:

Terrain & Weather Setters // Beneficiaries

Grassy: (Common) :rillaboom: // :volcanion: :zygarde:
Misty: (Common) :tapu-fini: // :kyurem-black: :zygarde: :porygon2:
Psychic: (Common) :tapu-lele: :indeedee-f: // :amoonguss: :necrozma:
Rain: (Common) :pelipper: :politoed: // :urshifu: :zapdos: :metagross: :kingdra: :ferrothorn:
Hail: (Common) :ninetales-alola: // :kyurem-black: :kyurem:
Sun: (Common) :torkoal: :ninetales: // :heatran: :charizard: :venusaur:
Sand: (Common):tyranitar:// :diancie: :genesect:

Utility

Fake Out:(Common) :rillaboom: :incineroar: :mew: :zeraora: (Uncommon) :blastoise: :scrafty:
Redirection: (Common) :amoonguss: (Uncommon) :blastoise: :indeedee-f: :togekiss:
Pivot Move: (Common) :rillaboom: :genesect: :urshifu: :incineroar: :zapdos: (Uncommon) :zeraora: :landorus: :blastoise: :landorus-therian:
Healing: (Common) :rillaboom: :amoonguss: (Uncommon) :tapu-fini: :mew:
Intimidate: (Common) :incineroar: (Uncommon) :landorus-therian: :scrafty:
Stealth Rock: (Common) :mew: :metagross: (Uncommon) :landorus: :landorus-therian: :tyranitar:
Knock Off: (Common) :rillaboom: :incineroar: :zeraora: (Uncommon) :landorus-therian: :scrafty:
Toxic: (Common) :zygarde: :mew: :metagross: (Uncommon) :porygon2: :zapdos: :blastoise: :landorus-therian:
Spread Attacks: (Common) :kyurem-black: :diancie: :heatran: :tapu-fini: :volcanion: :zygarde: :necrozma: :tapu-lele: (Uncommon) :kingdra: :volcarona: :kommo-o: :tyranitar:
Setup Attackers: (Common) :kyurem-black: :tapu-fini: :zygarde: :necrozma: :nihilego: (Uncommon) :dragapult: :spectrier: :volcarona: :cresselia: :kommo-o:

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Diancie to be added to Sand Beneficiaries. The standard set that lives Volcanion Steam Eruption also lives a Heatran Flash Cannon in the Sand. It also lives a ton of more things because of the SpD boost helping to live and set up WP

Tsareena to be added a as Zygarde check. Triple Axil makes it very threatening because it can break sub and continue doing damage. It can easily take a Thousand Arrows

Kommo-o for a solid Amoonguss check due to Overcoat, and a solid Rillaboom check as the Body Press set walls it while reaping the benefits of Grassy Terrain, and the Clanger set takes any hit it has well enough.

Heatran for a shaky Trick Room check, already a shaky PsySpam check, which TR is usually paired with PsyTerrain, and can use Flash Cannon and Taunt as coverage options for Diancie and P2 respectively if a team is wanting for them.

Eject Button as an uncommon Pivot option, weather teams are the usual beneficiaries of this item with their setters, and the Z Strats Grass spam team showcases that it can be used by Terrain users as well.

Healing as a Utility subsection. Common: Rillaboom (Grassy Terrain)/Amoonguss/Mew (Pollen Puff), Uncommon: Tapu Fini (Heal Pulse); Amoonguss is seen pretty often to where I would consider it being its own piece, and Rillaboom healing is vital to setup strategies in general. Idk if P2 would fit here since it's self-healing?

Registeel as a solid P2 check/shaky TR check, benefits from P2 TR being in a slower speed bracket and smacks it out with Body Press, and ties with Diancie, usually winning the 1v1 due to a 100% Defense boost over the 50% Diancie has. Prone to losing to Amoonguss and targeting, giving it the overall shaky check to TR.

Diancie to be added to Sand Beneficiaries. The standard set that lives Volcanion Steam Eruption also lives a Heatran Flash Cannon in the Sand. It also lives a ton of more things because of the SpD boost helping to live and set up WP

Tsareena to be added a as Zygarde check. Triple Axil makes it very threatening because it can break sub and continue doing damage. It can easily take a Thousand Arrows
Did these
Heatran for a shaky Trick Room check, already a shaky PsySpam check, which TR is usually paired with PsyTerrain, and can use Flash Cannon and Taunt as coverage options for Diancie and P2 respectively if a team is wanting for them.

Eject Button as an uncommon Pivot option, weather teams are the usual beneficiaries of this item with their setters, and the Z Strats Grass spam team showcases that it can be used by Terrain users as well.

Healing as a Utility subsection. Common: Rillaboom (Grassy Terrain)/Amoonguss/Mew (Pollen Puff), Uncommon: Tapu Fini (Heal Pulse); Amoonguss is seen pretty often to where I would consider it being its own piece, and Rillaboom healing is vital to setup strategies in general. Idk if P2 would fit here since it's self-healing?
Did these
Kommo-o for a solid Amoonguss check due to Overcoat, and a solid Rillaboom check as the Body Press set walls it while reaping the benefits of Grassy Terrain, and the Clanger set takes any hit it has well enough.

Registeel as a solid P2 check/shaky TR check, benefits from P2 TR being in a slower speed bracket and smacks it out with Body Press, and ties with Diancie, usually winning the 1v1 due to a 100% Defense boost over the 50% Diancie has. Prone to losing to Amoonguss and targeting, giving it the overall shaky check to TR.
Kommo-o is Tier 5 and Registeel is UR so I don't really want to include either because then I need to start adding things like Celesteela and Hatterene to the checks section and they are bad Pokemon. I will include these if they rise ranks.
Sun should probably be removed, due to being bad in this meta.
Sun is 2-0 in DLT Playoffs and I'd rather include more things that needed.

Also did some changes based on internal feedback, such as Genesect now being a Shaky Diancie check (can't Protect and often locked into something else, really struggles under Trick Room, Diamond Storm does a ton) and Volcanion being a Solid Trick Room check (Substitute Volcanion leads and does super well into Diancie / Volcanion / Grass cores), as well as some others.

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
Ferrothorn/Metagross as rain beneficiaries
Zygarde as misty beneficiary
Hitmontop as fake out
Togekiss as an uncommon redirector?
Indeedee as eject button
Wide guard perhaps as utility
Maybe mons that commonly run scarf as a form of speed control

Hey you, yeah you. Wanna absolutely destroy psyspam trickroom with no mercy? wanna force your opponent to play 4v6 right away?
Here's the mon to do it:

This is Duralodon. He's a Dragon/Steel type. The main reason he's so good at countering psyspam is his Hidden Ability: Stalwart.

Stalwart causes all of our friend's moves to completely ignore redirection. that means that follow me, rage powder, and even Ally Switch are entirely ineffective. In addition, it also learns a somewhat niche move called Steel Roller.

Steel Roller is a 130 BP Physical Steel type move. However, the move only works if a terrain is active. If that condition is met, the move will land, and also remove said terrain.

(:indeedee::hatterene:)

So turn one against these unsuspecting clowns, (seen above) simply target Hatterene with Steel Roller, and watch as your opponent attempts to redirect the move with Indeedee, only for Hatterene to be OHKO'd, and psychic terrain removed. from there, just have your other mon target indeedee with whatever move you choose, and suddenly you'll be playing a 6v4, and your opponent will be left without a terrain to boost expanding force.

If you want, Barraskewda's hidden ability propeller tail works exactly the same as stalwart, but steel roller is too good a hard counter to pass up.

All this considered, Psyspam isn't just checked by this mon, It's completely hard-countered.

Hey you, yeah you. Wanna absolutely destroy psyspam trickroom with no mercy? wanna force your opponent to play 4v6 right away?
Here's the mon to do it:

This is Duralodon. He's a Dragon/Steel type. The main reason he's so good at countering psyspam is his Hidden Ability: Stalwart.

Stalwart causes all of our friend's moves to completely ignore redirection. that means that follow me, rage powder, and even Ally Switch are entirely ineffective. In addition, it also learns a somewhat niche move called Steel Roller.

Steel Roller is a 130 BP Physical Steel type move. However, the move only works if a terrain is active. If that condition is met, the move will land, and also remove said terrain.

(:indeedee::hatterene:)

So turn one against these unsuspecting clowns, (seen above) simply target Hatterene with Steel Roller, and watch as your opponent attempts to redirect the move with Indeedee, only for Hatterene to be OHKO'd, and psychic terrain removed. from there, just have your other mon target indeedee with whatever move you choose, and suddenly you'll be playing a 6v4, and your opponent will be left without a terrain to boost expanding force.

If you want, Barraskewda's hidden ability propeller tail works exactly the same as stalwart, but steel roller is too good a hard counter to pass up.
This is not the thread to discuss the viability of Pokemon; you should use the SS Doubles OU Viability Rankings or the SS Doubles OU Metagame Discussion threads.
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, this is not the place to discuss the viability of Pokemon. If you want to nominate Duralodon to Tier 5 (it's currently UR right now) you should do that in the Viability Rankings thread. Be sure to include replays, since UR --> Tier 5 nominations are usually not taken seriously without proof of viability.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, this is not the place to discuss the viability of Pokemon. If you want to nominate Duralodon to Tier 5 (it's currently UR right now) you should do that in the Viability Rankings thread. Be sure to include replays, since UR --> Tier 5 nominations are usually not taken seriously without proof of viability.
I wasn't talking viability, but rather explaining a check addition. I don't have many replays, so this is unfortunately theoretical. thank you for the appreciation though.

I wasn't talking viability, but rather explaining a check addition. I don't have many replays, so this is unfortunately theoretical. thank you for the appreciation though.
The "Checks" section will be split into Solid and Shaky categories, with the former being generally a reliable check while the latter being not so dependable. Pokemon from Tiers 1-3 on the VR are all included, and specific Tier 4s are included in categories where they really excel (i.e. Tsareena as a Rillaboom check). Tier 5s and Unranked Pokemon are not counted.
My point is that Duralodon is not ranked on the Viability Rankings, so it will not be included here until it becomes at least Tier 4. Aegislash is a great Diancie check, but since Aegislash is unranked and bad, it is not included. A similar concept is applied to Duralodon.

If you want to get Duralodon ranked (and then in the future potentially listed here), please do so in Viability Rankings thread.

My point is that Duralodon is not ranked on the Viability Rankings, so it will not be included here until it becomes at least Tier 4. Aegislash is a great Diancie check, but since Aegislash is unranked and bad, it is not included. A similar concept is applied to Duralodon.

If you want to get Duralodon ranked (and then in the future potentially listed here), please do so in Viability Rankings thread.
Ok, sounds good!

I forgot to mention this before, but everything is updated with the new VR changes. This includes which Pokemon have a checks section (new Tier 2s added, Pokemon who dropped out removed), what Pokemon can appear as Checks (up to Tier 4), what Pokemon can appear in the Roles section (up to Tier 5 & some UR), and the order of all Pokemon listed (new VR order). As usual, let me know if you want to see anything changed either here or on Discord at emma#0404.

Meminger21

Lágrimas Ocultas
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The metagame changed a lot since the last update so here's some suggestions:

:naganadel: as a common TW

:Tsareena: as a shaky check to Rillaboom. Even being faster than Rillaboom it still can take over 50% of U-Turn and if the opponent uses U-turn with Tsareena first the user gains momentum since Rillaboom has a slower U-turn.
Edit: Actually Tsareena is slower, but it still takes the U-Turn

:Kartana: Kartana is banned

:Kyurem-black: As a shaky check to Dragapult, since with a certain spread (made by tree I guess) it can survive Draco Meteor from Specs Dragapult (timid) and KO it back with Ice Beam.
Kyurem-B could also be a shaky check to Zeraora.
Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 16 SpA / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Last edited:
I removed Kartana (I removed its section from Checks & Counters but I forgot to remove it in other sections before). I will update it halfway through SCL (Post Week 5), and then again once SCL ends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)