SS OU Double Dragon Hyper Offence

:ss/(Mew): :ss/(Regieleki): :ss/(Volcarona): :ss/(Bisharp): :ss/(Dragonite): :ss/(Dragapult):

Posting my first second Crown Tundra RMT, with a team I built to ladder with. It's been successful so far and I'm in the 1600's, but I wanted to see if there's any holes I can patch up before aiming for the higher parts of the ladder.

Team building process:

:(Dragonite): :(Dragapult):
I started with the titular Double Dragons, Dragonite and Dragapult.

:(Dragonite): :(Dragapult): :(Regieleki):
Both of these appreciate Screens support greatly, so I chose Regieleki. I went with it instead of Koko due to its higher speed and access to Rapid Spin, along with a Volt Switch which does serious damage.

:(Mew): :(Dragonite): :(Dragapult): :(Regieleki):
I needed a hazard lead next, and Mew does this very well with its access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes.

:(Mew): :(Dragonite): :(Dragapult): :(Regieleki): :(Bisharp):
With Rocks, Spikes, and Screens, this team hates Defog so I felt that a Defiant user would help greatly with that. Bisharp was thus a natural choice. (I totally would have used Magearna in this slot, but, no more Magearna)

:(Mew): :(Dragonite): :(Dragapult): :(Regieleki): :(Bisharp): :(Volcarona):
Finally, Volcarona rounds out the team as a threatening special sweeper, which I needed since all of my other attackers are physical. Notably, it also makes short work of the Steels which my Dragons don't like having around.

The Team:

:ss/(Mew)::(Red Card):
Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Mew is the chosen suicide lead for this team, chosen over Azelf due to its access to Spikes. Stealth Rock and Spikes are obviously the main reason for Mew's existence on the team, while Taunt prevents early Defog attempts and can make passive mons much easier to deal with, and Explosion is just great for maintaining momentum. Red Card allows me to get an extra layer of hazards or explode, so with that in mind, the EVs maximise Speed and HP to make sure Mew doesn't get KOed before the Card's activation and the leftover 4 are dumped into Attack.

:ss/(Regieleki)::(Light Clay):
Regieleki @ Light Clay
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Light Screen

Regieleki provides ever-useful Screens support, which provides Volcarona and the Dragons with padding to set up comfortably and sweep. Reflect and Light Screen are self-explanatory, Rapid Spin gives the team a degree of hazard control, and Volt Switch can pivot a sweeper onto the field and hits reasonably hard with 328 Special Attack and Transistor. The EVs are taken from the standard Screens set, but since I have Volt Switch instead of Explosion, I switched the EVs and nature for maximum Special Attack.

:ss/(Volcarona)::(Heavy-duty Boots):
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic / Giga Drain

The first of the 4 attackers. Volcarona is already a menace, and with screens up it becomes even scarier. Quiver Dance is obviously the boosting move of choice (what else would I run on it, Calm Mind?). Flamethrower is chosen over Fire Blast for the accuracy, and Bug Buzz provides alternative STAB which blows past most Fire-resists. The last move is a toss-up: Giga Drain provides some recovery and destroys bulky Waters like Swampert and Fini, while Psychic nails Toxapex and lets you hit Dragapult neutrally. Both moves work pretty well in that slot, so pick your poison. The EVs are the usual offensive set; investing in bulk isn't needed with Screen support.

:ss/(Bisharp)::(Life Orb):
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

(This really should have been Magearna, but oh well) Bisharp is here mainly to deter Defog and provide a Steel-type, and under the right circumstances it can sweep. Swords Dance can get Bisharp to +4 in some cases, although usually you're better off switching into a Defog and attacking away. Sucker Punch is the main attacking move, making up for Bisharp's low speed with its priority. Knock Off and Iron Head demolish slower targets, with Iron Head having a flinch chance which could come in handy. The EVs simply maximise attack and speed.

:ss/(Dragonite)::(Heavy-duty Boots):
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dual Wingbeat
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost

Now for the Dragons. Dragonite is simply a great HO pokemon; it can't be broken with Multiscale and Screens present, allowing it to stack multiple boosts and sweep. Dual Wingbeat is the main STAB, while Earthquake provides the best coverage with 2 moveslots, mainly disposing of Steel types while also hitting targets like Toxapex. Roost goes in the last slot to provide recovery so Dragonite isn't easily revenge killed after chip damage, and allows you to restore Multiscale. The EVs are, again, standard. I usually use this set mid-game to break holes for Volcarona and/or Dragapult to clean up, but when played right Dragonite can end the game on its own as well.

:ss/(Dragapult)::(Life Orb):
Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Sucker Punch

This is one of my favorite things to come out of this generation. DD Dragapult is often dismissed in favor of the Specs and Hex sets, but it can absolutely rip apart an unprepared team, and with screens making up for its frailty, it truly shines. Dragon Dance is the boosting move of choice. Dragon Darts is the best physical Dragon-type move in the game, so it's the main STAB of the set. Phantom Force is used to hit Dragon resists, notably OHKOing Heatran after Rocks and 2 Spikes at +1. Sucker Punch rounds out the set as a way to hit Ghosts and Psychics without having to rely on the 2-turn Phantom Force, and can also act as an emergency stopgap to a boosted sweeper in some situations. Steel Wing could be used here, but it has no targets outside of Fairies, and it's too weak to warrant its own moveslot with such a limited purpose. I very often end games between this and Volcarona; it's incredibly tricky to stop after a boost or two.

IMPORTABLE: https://pokepast.es/82fcf81e4a685b3f

So yeah, that's the team. Thanks for reading this far!​

Last edited:
Pretty solid team all around, I would like to toss out a few things that might not necessarily be better than what you are using, but might be fun:
1. if you are using flamethrower on volcarona, maybe try out fiery dance, as while it is a bit slower, the spa boosts you can get can make you able to sweep while using less turns on QD
2. a tech that might be interesting for dragapult might be to run psychic fangs. There are two reasons in my mind for this: sucker punch and phantom force have a lot of overlapping coverage, psychic fangs allow you to hit pex very hard after a dd, which might make you not have to choose between psychic and giga drain on volc. But the main reason is because I have been seeing a rise in screens teams lately in RMTs and in game, and if you break their screens with fangs, you pretty much instantly win.
3. I would be really tempted to give one of the dragons weakness policy: if you think you can keep rocks off the field reliably dragonite, if not then dragapult. they can both get massive boost from it, and dragonite with screens and multiscale can pretty safely tank super effective hits, while dragapult can come on an expected weak knock off from something like mandi or pex and start wrecking face. Here is an example game where weakness policy dragapult wrecks face in a SPL game of all things
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-543255

Pretty solid team all around, I would like to toss out a few things that might not necessarily be better than what you are using, but might be fun:
1. if you are using flamethrower on volcarona, maybe try out fiery dance, as while it is a bit slower, the spa boosts you can get can make you able to sweep while using less turns on QD
2. a tech that might be interesting for dragapult might be to run psychic fangs. There are two reasons in my mind for this: sucker punch and phantom force have a lot of overlapping coverage, psychic fangs allow you to hit pex very hard after a dd, which might make you not have to choose between psychic and giga drain on volc. But the main reason is because I have been seeing a rise in screens teams lately in RMTs and in game, and if you break their screens with fangs, you pretty much instantly win.
3. I would be really tempted to give one of the dragons weakness policy: if you think you can keep rocks off the field reliably dragonite, if not then dragapult. they can both get massive boost from it, and dragonite with screens and multiscale can pretty safely tank super effective hits, while dragapult can come on an expected weak knock off from something like mandi or pex and start wrecking face. Here is an example game where weakness policy dragapult wrecks face in a SPL game of all things
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-543255
Hey, thanks for the ideas! Regarding each one,

1) Fiery Dance does work on Volc, although in most games Volc only appears towards the end so usually one or two boosts is enough for Flamethrower and Buzz to end the match. However, Fiery Dance would be great in mid-game situations.

2) That is, indeed, interesting tech. I hadn't previously thought of it because Pult already has Infiltrator, but I suppose it could work to break screens then pave the way for a Volc/Nite/Bish sweep. However, I do use Sucker Punch on DD Pult quite a lot, it can save you in certain situations. Guess I'll have to test it out.

3) I really like the idea of WP Nite, definitely gonna test it out. ;)

I feel like it’s a really good team, i’ve tested it myself and it’s really cool to play with, (and I hate playing with others team than mine the majority of the time) so thanks for that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)