ORAS UU Double-Dragon Voltturn

Hey guys,whats up welcome to my RMT

First and Foremost
Teambuilding Process

So it started with these 2.I wanted Jolteon specifically to Speed tie with Crobat and Beedrill As My primary mega,to get the turn out of the voltturn core

With the scarf grounds such as nidoking coming with scarfs its hard to get the core going.The one pokemon that i enjoy using and gets rids of all the grounds that threaten both of my mons and takes care of fire types with another move(wont reveal until i get to the movesets).

I wanted another U-turner and Tornadus Caught My Eye.With Base 115 attack and a strong STAB it really made me want to use it.And that has an excellent speed tier it made me want to use it more and more

I wanted to have my Secondary Vswitcher and i wanted a switch in to rock types,with STAB to threaten them out and it is also my SR setter

My second dragon.This pokemon certainly proves its worth and completes the team.With its dark typing it makes me a little bit weak to fighting but it really does not matter and i have a way around them.I definetily wanted another U-turner that wasnt a Physical attacker and that has powerfull STABs

OK,indepth

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Knock Off

Beedrill.My Primary mega.I used a basic spread because i dont think that beedrill is the type of pokemon that should have something else.I chose U-turn and Poison Jab as my 2 STAB moves because i felt like they gave more security and then i chose protect just so beedrill can mega evolve safely.I chose knock off just for the Crobats,Doublades and Porygon 2 because i thought for Crobat i have nothing to hit it with,Doublade is bulky on the defensive side so if i take the Eviolite out it would be much more easier to take it out with my other pokemon.That goes the same for Porygon 2

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

So Jolteon.He Was My Volt Switcher.I liked him more than Heliolisk just for the fact that he can speed tie with Crobat which was a huge problem to my beedrill.I used Choice Specs because even though im not comfortable to locking into a move,i had that immediate power.I chose a basic spread just because i dont think that Jolt should be any complicated mon.I used Thunderbolt for my main STAB and i used Volt Switch to complete the Voltturn core.HP ice for coverage on salamence and dragons while signal beam to damage Hydreigon Even more.

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 16 HP / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
I chose Kyurem because i liked to use him and he had coverage.I used Choice Scarf because the speed was important.I used Earth Power for Steels,Draco Meteor for Main Hard Hitting STAB move,I also used Ice Beam for another STAB move and Flash Cannon for Coverage against Fairies.I also chose this spread just because i didnt think that the difference in SpA wont matter and i thought extra bulk is always nice to have.

Tornadus
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Yep.Resttalk Tornadus.So first of all i got U-turn for the Voltturn core,and coming in mind fighting types and that i needed a STAB Acrobatics was my choice.I looked through his entire movepool and i didnt find 1 thing interesting so i went with rest.Then there was Sleep talk.Even without rest i could still switch it in into stuff that try to put me to sleep and it worked out perfectly.This Spread is quite offensive and coming into mind that i dont have anyone to outspeed with max Spe i used 248 to outspeed those base 110s.(and i know what you mean you could have lowered it to 244 but for some reason it goes to 350 not 351),and somewhat defense doesnt hurt.

Cobalion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Cobalion was used as my Rock Resist,as my team was very weak to rocks.I used SR myself because why not and i used life orb because i liked the damage input.I had volt switch for the Voltturn core and I had iron head for fairies like florges because my Kyu could atleast 3HKO while it could 2HKO my Kyu.Close Combat was chosen as my secondary STAB and for hitting rock types for more damage.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

For the finish i chose Hydreigon just because he completed my double-dragon core and he had u-turn.U-turn is just for swapping out it is not to do damage so Timid nature was chosen.I chose to go with Life Orb and taunt due to the fact that i hate blissey.Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse were my 2 STABs of choice capable of dealing alot of damage to my opponent.It is also my second Ground Immunity next to Tornadus and it was my switchin to any psychic or fire hit that was incoming to Beedrill.

Threat List

Nidoking is a big problem for me,Especially if Scarf.If Scarf and my kyurem is gone this thing gets a kill every time and i have to play around it very carefully.

Mamoswine

Allthough it isnt a very big problem for me,with the right support it can sweep my entire team just because it hits everything.Nothing is immune to its STABs and like 2 of my pokemon dont take SE damage from him but if it has Rock coverage then it hits everything for SE so its very dangerous.

Salamence is a big problem for me and especially if it carries FB and its scarfed.Because the Outrage dents my team quite a bit and FB is a problem for my cobe it gets a kill every time.

Maero is a big problem for me just because it hits everything for SE.I do have my Kyurem but its very risky.

Supiaa
Sandaasu

Kyuremu
Torunerosu

Kobaruon
Sazandora

RATE US!!!

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Hello there, VoltTurn is a great play style in this current meta, so building a team around it is always a good idea. However, every play style has its weakness, and the thorn in VoltTurn's side is most definitely entry hazards, especially if you use 3 rocks weak mons! Your team has no way to remove them, and no mon on your team has recovery at all besides Rest Tornadus, so hazards really kill your team. In order to have an effective voltturn team you need to have a spinner or defogger. Furthermore having a lot of U-turners seems nice, but in this case, it looks like you added ones that offer nothing else besides U-Turn. The mons you chose are all excellent momentum grabbers, but they are redundant and lack "synergy" so to speak. The most obvious suspect is Tornadus, which currently has zero offensive pressure, so it is not going to force many switches so you can take advantage of U-Turn. Furthermore, Jolteon is unviable in this current meta with Mega Pidgeot being banned. You said you chose it to speed tie with Bat, but relying on a 50/50 is never a good idea due to unreliability.

Before I suggest mon replacements, I want to offer some advice on improving current sets. The first small change is to switch Beedrill's nature from Jolly to Adamant. Jolly lets you outspeed +1 Jolly Gatr, Scarf Chandelure, and Crobat. Jolly Gatrs are uncommon in this meta, Chandelure is walled by Hydreigon, and you aren't doing much to bat anyway so Jolly is not needed. Adamant boosts all your attacks allowing you to get more and more chip damage on the opponent.

Second change would be to replace U-Turn with Roost on Hydreigon. U-Turn + LO wears down Hydreigon very easily, and without Roost, you have no way to recover off this damage. Hydreigon also needs Roost if you use Taunt, as you are otherwise worn down heavily by the mons you Taunt, such as Vaporeon's scald, Blissey's Seismic Toss, and other fatmon's attacks. Hydreigon is also your main switch in to Chandelure and Krookodile, so roost is highly appreciated to switch in on them numerous times. The loss of U-Turn may seme odd for a VoltTurn team, but this change will strongly improve your Hydreigon set.

Now for the mon replacements. Bee + Cobalion + Hydreigon form an excellent core and will be kept. However as you mentioned earlier, EQ Aerodactyl gives you loads of trouble, especially since you opt to run LO on Cobalion. I would also suggest swapping LO on Cobalion to Leftovers for longevity but if you prefer the extra power then keep the LO. As mentioned before you are really weak to hazards without a hazard remover + VoltTurn. The obvious fix is to add a spinner or defogger to your team, so I recommend changing Tornadus to Forretress.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy/Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Forretress provides a spinner that you desperately need while serving as a nice check to Aerodactyl and Mamo, two threats to your team. Spikes is really, really nice for VoltTurn teams for obvious reasons: it compounds the chip damage from the forced switches caused by Bee and friends. Volt switch is also huge for Forry, since every Ghost in the tier blocks it unfortunately and won't let you spin as long as they are alive. Predict the obvious ghost switch in and click Volt Switch into your Hydreigon, who eats alive all spinblockers in UU (gg Chandelure, Doublade, Jellicent).

The second change is to change Jolteon to Heliolisk. Again, Jolteon's main niche was to outspeed Pidgeot, but without it in the tier it is not viable unfortunately. Speed tying with Crobat is an unreliable way to beat it. In addition, Jolteon is unable to switch into fat waters due to poor bulk and burns wearing it down. Heliolisk is unaffected by this thanks to a water immunity which is crucial for checking mons like Suicune. Suicune exerts immense pressure on your team at +1, so having Heliolisk would be really helpful.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

I put Surf over Grass Knot because you said Nidos gave you trouble, and Heliolisk can do this to any Nido who tries to be cheeky and Volt Switch block you.

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Surf vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 260-307 (78.5 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Finally, we have to remove Kyurem unfortunately. I love Kyurem, but right now you lack the ability to play around powerful offensive threats. Kyurem compounds the Aero weakness, Nido weakness (can't switch in), and Dragon waekness as your only resist is Cobalion, which again, is easily worn down due to wielding a LO. My final change gives you an answer to ALL of these threats, and that is to replace Kyurem with Cresselia

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball/Psyshock
- Moonblast

Cresselia is incredibly bulky and therefore blanket checks a lot of UU's hard hitters. It walls Nido, Mamo, Aero, all Mence variants, and can even tank a Dark Pulse from Hydra. Thunder wave lets you cripple the aforementioned threats (what's an Aero without its speed?), and Shadow Ball is super cool and lures in Doublade who thinks it is safe to set up. Luring in Doublade is nice because switching into it is a bit tricky for you as Sacred Sword bops Hydra and Heliolisk, and removing it lets Bee + Cobalion wreck more havoc and let you spin with Forry. You also desperately need a fighting resist because ScarfShao just comes in, outspeeds everything, and kills something every time with High Jump Kick, as Bee's awful bulk makes it unable to switch in to fighting moves despite being a 4x resist.

GL with your team, and I hope I helped :)

Hey Yugi this is a pretty cool team you got here, as I too am a fan of offensive builds and such. So right out of the gate, I feel like pointing out just as a side note that scarfed ground types are extremely uncommon in the tier, and I can't say I've ever come across a Scarf Nidoking.
So I'm first going to go over a few nitpicks in the team that are relatively easy fixes.
Right away, on Kyurem and Jolteon change the Attack IV to 0 so that you take less damage from Foul Play

First, with Mega Beedrill, I'm going to suggest changing the nature to Adamant, the reason being is you get a little more power out of your Bee, and the only mon that outspeeds AdaBee that wouldn't outspeed Jolly is Crobat, which you have absolutely zero business staying in on in the first place.

Secondly, on Jolteon switch Signal Beam for Shadow Ball as it hits some of the same things that you would with Sig like Cress, but also gives you a super effective hit against the likes of Doublade, which is a pretty big threat to your team given that Dreigon has no recovery. And yes, I know you said it was to hit Hydreigon, but HP Ice still hits it hard with specs, and one of my further suggestions will help with Hydreigon.

Finally (for the nitpicks), while you said for Kyurem that having non max SpAtk doesn't make a huge difference, I think you should run Max Special Attack as an extra 16 HP evs doesn't really do much for you unless there is a specific attack (which you didn't state and probably doesn't exist) that the extra HP lets you live. You also never know when you need just a tiny bit higher of a damage variation when on the offensive.

So next thing on the agenda is probably one of your team's biggest exploitabilities; Stealth Rocks. Rocks really can fuck your team up it looks like since you have no way of removing them, and your team has only one poke with instant recovery. To try and remedy this, and at the same time give you a better fighting check (another thing you're really weak to), I will suggest adding Offensive Defog Salamence > Tornadus. I just want to say that that Torn set is super innovative (even though Knock Off and Superpower give it superior coverage). So the reason I think Mence would be a good fit is
a) It gets Defog
b) Intimidate + Roost makes you a better fighting check
c) It also checks fire spammers like Entei and Infernape which really fuck your team up.
d) It checks another enormous threat to your team in Doublade

Also with Cobalion, some things to consider are changing Life Orb to Leftovers so that Coba can serve as a better offensive pivot, and also you could dawdle with running Taunt or Stone Edge > Volt Switch. These are merely suggestions that would help out your members, Taunt being able to shut down rockers like Forre, and Edge letting you catch Chandelure and Entei who are so bold to come in on this thing. This is only food for thought, but I do think it's worth consideration.

Now, to address the Pokemon that you listed as the biggest threats to your team in Mence, Mamo, Nidoking, and MAero. After doing some soul searching to figure out the best check that fits on an offensive team. I decided that having 3 dragon types on the same team was a bit excessive, and the odd man out to me was Hydreigon, so I'm going to suggest changing Hydreigon for Mixed Defenses Porygon2. What Porygon2 does is allows you to chew up a ton of hits for both sides of the spectrum, paralyze things, and kill your biggest threats to the team. The one exception being Mamoswine who has access to Superpower and Knock Off, but Mamo never runs these in tandem. You can go into Coba on predicted knock offs, or just tank a Superpower and recover off the damage. While this thing is a bit of a momentum kill at times, I still think having 3 VoltTurners gives you plenty of momentum, and Porygon2 is one of the best pivots on offensive teams at the moment.

Edit
after reading Do A Bibarel 's rate, I would agree with the change from Jolteon to Heliolisk, and also I will lastly say to replace Kyurem with Scarf Hydreigon which yes, I told you to nix Dreigon, but bite me, I'm too lazy to rewrite. Hydreigon has a better speed tier than Kyu does and having Scarf Uturn is pretty cluctch.
Anyways, I hope these suggestions will help improve your team, and good luck with further endeavors and stuff ^_^
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
What's up man, cool looking team. It's always cool to see Kyurem being used, because its severely underrated in the tier as a wallbreaker. But anyway, I see a lot of weaknesses that could also be patched up by one pokemon. But anyway, I'll recommend a couple of small things I could fix first.

• As the others have recommended above, change the Nature on Beedrill from Jolly to Adamant. Adamant gives you some much needed power with the VoltTurn core, cause otherwise U-turn could potentially be underwhelming with a Jolly Nature. I highly recommend you change it to Adamant.
  • While we're on the VoltTurn core, I'd like to recommend Rotom-Mow over Jolteon. Rotom-Mow has excellent typing, it's also the perfect teammate for Mega Beedrill for all those bulky waters and grounds that come into Mega Bee. Rotom-Mow can absorb scalds pretty well also, and with the power of a specs Leaf Storm it can KO a Suicune with ease. Here's the set I'd like to recommend.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Trick

• For the mon that would fix most of the threats, I'd like to recommend Suicune over Tornadus. RoarCune can take down most of the threats listed with relative ease, absorbing attacks and scalding them (potentially burning) as well as potentially roaring out a set-up sweeper, like Salamence. Roar could also be used as a nice shuffler for mons that are weak to SR. Here's the set I'd like to recommend for this team, pretty much just standard RoarCune set.

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Roar
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
  • Last small things as others recommended above, run Roost over U-turn on Hydreigon. The LO can really wear down Hydreigon and you don't want that. I highly recommend you do this. I'd also run Leftovers over Life Orb on Cobalion as it really increases the longevity of Cobalion, your main Stealth Rocker and Snorlax Switch-in.
Well, other than those small things I still think its a very solid VoltTurn team. Hope you consider my recommendations and good luck with your team!!!

Update:

I changed Tornadus for Forretress
I changed Cobalion for Mienshao
I changed Hydreigon for Salamence
I changed Jolteon for Heliolisk
I changed Beedrills Nature to Adamant.

Also Mienshao is holding Scarf and has Stone Edge so Crobat Isnt that much of an issue

Update:

I changed Tornadus for Forretress
I changed Cobalion for Mienshao
I changed Hydreigon for Salamence
I changed Jolteon for Heliolisk
I changed Beedrills Nature to Adamant.

Also Mienshao is holding Scarf and has Stone Edge so Crobat Isnt that much of an issue
Maybe provide some replays containing the original team and your updated version?

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey, Yugi. This is a pretty interesting looking team. Most of the main issues were sorted out already by the other raters, but there are still a few changes I'd like to suggest that will further improve your team:
  • I agree with the suggestions above to change U-turn -> Roost on Hydreigon and Life Orb -> Leftovers on Cobalion. LO Hydreigon with Taunt needs Roost to break fat pokemon like Suicune and Blissey. Cobalion is an excellent offensive pivot, as its typing and natural bulk allows it to check the likes of Lucario and Mega Beedrill without investment. Running a Life Orb not only removes passive recovery, but also forces you to give up HP every time you attack, limiting your defensive utility.
  • I agree with Shiba's suggestion to chance Tornadus -> CM RoarCune for similar reasons. However, I personally would run a bit more speed (probably somewhere between 40-80 EVs) to ensure you are not outsped and phased out by opposing RoarCune.
  • I would change Beedrill's nature from Jolly -> Adamant. The only thing Jolly allows you to outspeed is Scarf Chandelure, which isn't really an issue for your team considering you have Roost Hydreigon. I would also suggest changing Knock Off -> Drill Run, as it allows you to maim common checks to Knock Off Bee including Lucario, Nidoqueen, and Cobalion.
  • At this point, the biggest issues I see with your team are that you have no hazard removal and struggle greatly against Scarf Mienshao. With a semi volt-turn team such as this, being able to clear hazards from your side of the field is crucial. Mienshao revenge kills almost your entire team and beats Suicune if it does not get burned by Scald. I think your best bet at mitigating both of these weaknesses is changing Kyurem -> Salamence. The set I had in mind is the Specially Offensive LO set with Intimidate, Defog and Roost, as it can check Mienshao and other fighting types reliably and clear hazards while providing a threatening offensive force, which fits fantastically on an offensive team such as this.
  • Lastly, I'd like to suggest changing Jolteon -> Whimsicott. A physically defensive spread with Stun Spore / Moonblast / U-turn / Encore is your best bet. Your team without Whimsicott is horribly weak to dragon types like Salamence; Scarf sets can flat out 6-0 you by after Cobalion and Suicune are weakened a bit (which isn't that hard considering Cobalion has no bulk investment and Suicune is not running Sleep Talk). Whimsicott provides you with a Dragon immunity, water resist, and stop to practically all set up sweepers via Prankster Encore. While Whimsicott cannot really do much damage to bulky waters like Suicune, I believe the combination of Encore / Taunt Hydreigon / Fast RoarCune handle opposing Suicune rather well.
With those changes made, I believe you have a much more solid team that covers a lot more threats. I'll note that I did my best to suggest changes that did not open up any new holes in your team, but I found it extremely hard to cover everything without completely changing around your team. Mamoswine in particular is a bit more threatening to this version of the team than the old one, but I believe Suicune and Cobalion cover it enough so you can play around it with relative ease. Anyways, I hope you try out the suggestions made. Good luck with everything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)