Double weather in BW2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
I think that anyone will agree with me to say that with the arrival of bw2 Weather wars became more and more common. The usage statistics in fact says that we have 3 weather changers in the first 13 positions. I'd like to know what do you think about using a team with more than one summoner in the same team. Do you think that having 2 weather changers will help you dealing with opposite summoner, or it would just increase the number of abuser u can have in the same team? Which summoners do you think that are good together?
I personally think that double weather is an underestimate playstile, because, for example, if im against someone with Politoed and i have a Sand+Rain team, i can freely spam Hurricane with my Tornadus-t, and then if i have trouble against the abusers of the rain of your opponent u still have your Hippowdown to win the weather war. The same thing can happen if you lose your Hippowdown, you still have an abuser that can easily sweep. And if you find an opponent with a Ninetales for example, you will have a great advantage against him.
Well, let me know what do you think about this, and tell me if you ever tried a double weather team :3

I tried this once, didn't work out very well. The problem is that when you make a weather team you have to have pokemon that abuse it-genies/therians/double STAB etc. and you need neutral pokes so your team can function when and if your weather is taken away. With double weather that's two pokemon that quite frankly aren't very viable without their ability. There aren't enough spaces on the team for it.

The only niche for double weather starters I can see is running Ttar+hippo on the same team. It let's you change the weather without double switching because you can go from one to the other directly and they actually fill different roles with different (though similar) typings that means you haven't totally wasted a team slot for an ability.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Well yea, you are right. Pokemon like Abomasnow or Ninetales have a poor Typing/Statistics and also the stealth rock weakness, meaning that u have to use another slot for a rapid spinner. Tyranitar+hippowdown work obviously, but the fact is that sand doesnt have real abusers, maybe Stoutland or Sandslash, but thats nothing compared to what rain and sun can do.

Wow I didn't even consider a spinner, that's three team spots already accounted for, 2 of them wasted on crappy pokes. then you need pokemon that help you win the weather war and function outside of your weathers of choice then 2 abusers each of the different weather or else it's all for nought. Nevermind the fact that running rain/sun means half the time your other abusers will actually suffer. Your rain is up? Venusaur can't do its job until tales goes up and then tornadus can't do his job. Your handicapping yourself.

Good Dual-weather teams aren't built like conventional weather teams, in that they can't rely on Pokémon who do well in only that weather. For example, Tornadus T won't work, because it loses out on that perfect accuracy Hurricane when rain isn't up. Dual weather teams rely rather on Pokemon that can do well in both weathers. For example, Lucario would work great on a Rain/Sand team, because it enjoys having both residual damage on opponents and having its Fire weakness reduced. Another is Omastar, who likes having additional special bulk in the sand and having its Water moves boosted in the rain. The trick is having a team that can use both weathers to their advantage.

Cb Tyranitar can work well on rain/sun teams because most of those teams struggle with Lati@s. Tar can also help win the weather war by trapping the opposing starter and set up Sr. Sand is also pretty hard for someone to take advantage of outside of using a random Stoutland or Sandslash.

The problem with running dual weathers is that the weather starters themselves have poor synergy together.

Abomasnow + Tyranitar: Share a common Fighting and Steel weakness. Scizor and Breloom, hell even Terrakion easily tear through this combination. The only boon of using this is that Abomasnow can wall Politoed easily and that together they can set up eternal residual damage. The abundance of Fighting types in OU doesn't help their cause.

Tyranitar + Politoed: Actually somewhat viable, as lordkira posted above, but greatly reduces your abilities to use the respective Pokemon to abuse their weather. Tornadus/Thunderus-therian cannot be guaranteed that rain is up due to Tyranitar, and this can cause problems, especially when you NEED that Hurricane/Thunder to hit. Alternatively, there aren't a lot of Pokes that can take advantage of sand as well as rain sweepers, outside of maybe CB Stoutland and SD Sandslash, and if Chomp gets released back into OU it will definitely NOT have Sand Veil, so there goes that.

Ninetales + a combination of any other weather starter doesn't even seem reasonable to me, seeing as the only reason to have Ninetales on a team is to get your Chlorophyll sweepers prepared and Politoed/Tyranitar/Abomasnow interfere with that. Now on the other hand, if you're using Politoed to set up your rain sweepers, then having Ninetales on the team is purely counterproductive, and she becomes a complete dead weight, taking SR damage as well as changing the weather to your disadvantage.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Abomasnow + Hippowdon is pretty good as well. They've got decent synergy and do a good job of winning the weather war, depriving rain/sun teams of their weather. They also allow residual damage all the time which is nice as well.

Yeah, Abomasnow + Hippowdon is pretty cool. I've also used Abomasnow + Kyurem + Politoed + Tentacruel a fair bit since they have wonderful defensive synergy (not to mention having Rain lets Tentacruel, already the premier Hail spinner, stick around a lot longer).

After reading the opening paragraph I decided to try double weather out, have to say I was far from impressed. The big reason for this I think is that rain is just so much better than the other three that I really never found myself wishing I could lose the rain. I also kinda find all the weather inducers to be underwhelming, even Tyranitar, so running two of them felt like playing at a huge disadvantage as opposed to using one of those team slots for something useful.

The team I was using used Politoed and Tyranitar and right from the start I had the issue of finding a Tyranitar set that wasn't awful. It can't run any type of boosting set since fighting is so common, and choice sets give out too many free turns given his lack of coverage on his STABs. Then there's the fact that I just find sand abusers to be really underwhelming compared to rain sweepers. Tornadus-T is amazing in rain, but just OK in sand, and nothing really compares to him on sand teams.

Using sand to deal with other rain teams is a cool idea, but in practice you're splitting your own team or you're not getting any benefit out of the sand other then getting rid of rain, which puts you on either even footing or at a slight advantage against other rain teams assuming you can win the weather war, which is a lot to assume. It's not worth it when you can put something in that slot that can contribute against every team as opposed to just helping against one style that your team should already be able to handle.

I'm not saying double weather can't be used effectively, because I'm sure it can as is the case for most things, but I don't think it's effective because of the dual weather, its just a well composed team that happens to run two types of weather.

Edit: In regards to the other types of weather, sun is not going to work with any other type of weather. It's too specialized to share the climate on it's own team. Sand and Hail might do well together since they're both inclined to play semi-stall, but Abomasnow is kind of terrible.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I used to run double weather back in the day when BW first came out, I used Choice Scarf Politoed as my Excadrill check. It peaked number one on the ladder but the ladder was pretty bad lol. I can't say it would do nearly as well today. 6 slots is barely enough to cover the weaknesses of one type/style of weather/play, let alone 2.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Abomasnow + Hippowdon is pretty good as well. They've got decent synergy and do a good job of winning the weather war, depriving rain/sun teams of their weather. They also allow residual damage all the time which is nice as well.
Yeah a stall-based team with hippodown and abomasnow can work. Hippowdown is not that bad even without sand, it can be a good srocker and phazer, while abomasnow can help dealing with Dragons and rain teams. Maybe they can have Overcoat forretress as a spinner or Starmie, mmm, i'll try a build with these two for sure.

Yeah, Abomasnow + Hippowdon is pretty cool. I've also used Abomasnow + Kyurem + Politoed + Tentacruel a fair bit since they have wonderful defensive synergy (not to mention having Rain lets Tentacruel, already the premier Hail spinner, stick around a lot longer).
That core seems interesting. Did u have some rock resistors like ferrothorn? it also seems a little ground and sun weak, but this basis looks cool.

i have a ninetails + politoed team, i got up to 1500+ before i got bored

you only need 1 poke who really benefits from having weather up and then support the shit out of it, like i use a volcarona along with a revenge killer and a defensive combo (one of them a rapid spinner) and it's worked better than i could have imagined

the other pokes don't care about weather and volcarona abuses the hell out of both sun and rain

but to play a dual weather team, it pretty much has to be your weather, your game, and with two weather abusers, it's not hard to keep the weather on your side

basically, make a team that benefits from both weathers, but not reliant on them at all

Since im in a good mood today ill share one of my better duel weather combos (well my only good one).

@Whatever

@Choice Band
~Pursuit

@Leftovers
252Spa 252Spe 4Hp
Timid
~Secret Sword
~Scald
~Calm Mind
~Sub

It works like this. Politoad boosts Keldeos Scald and ensures it recovers with Leftovers. Tyranitar is to trap the stuff that cant be beat by Water+Fighting (mostly Jelicant, Lati@s, and Slowbro/King). Keldeo works fine in sand too so if you dont keep rain up its not the end of the world.

I've actually personaly used double weather quite a lot.

The thing is; To get it to work you need to find pokemons that can get something from the both of the weathers to get it working.

My personal set was politoad + ninetails with hydreigon. Hydreigon was armed with both, fire blast and surf to ensure it could get pseudo stab from either weather.

Honestly speaking, I can see many of the usual choloro sweepers working in rain/sun dual, I've been considering using victreebel as it too, gains the pseudo stab with weather ball.

Sand / Water is also a good combo with the amount of water/ground types around. Gastrodon specialy takes the cake for gaining big advantages in both of the weathers.

Double weather just requires a bit more.. Balanced, tweek it up play style to get to work proberly, and is quite a lot of work honestly to get working. And I honestly can't argue it to be really worth it with the amount of rain abusers already present.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think that dual weather is at best "barely viable." The only weather you're likely to really screw over is sun, which is the most weather reliant playstyle right now. Other than that, I think you're just putting more work into accomplishing winning the weather war than you have to.

Tyrannitar and ninetales can both make a good dual weather team, add genesect to the team since he can work both in sand and specially in sun teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)