Double Weather OU team

My first attempt at trying to build a semi-competitive team. It focuses quite a lot on entry hazards with double weather support, and can turn some battles into stalling wars. The thing i'm not extremely sure about are how the items are distributed, i feel that they could be more useful in other ways but that's the main reason why i'm posting this here.

Getting into it:

The Lead

smeargle.jpg

Snoopy (smeargle) @ Red card
Ability: Technitian
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def.
Jolly Nature
-Spore
-Toxic Spikes
-Sticky Web
-Destiny Bond
What a better lead to have than the premier annoyer? 31 speed IVs, Jolly nature and full speed investment guarantee a spore to hit first more than one would expect from a pokemon sporting a mere 75 base speed stat, and she often manages to take a hit from many other leads even if she goes second. Sticky Web is the preferred follow up, preparing for a switch into someone else. He can come back later in the game to put up toxic spikes or a filthy destiny bond on an unprepared slow sweeper such as the likes of tyranitar.

The Sweepers

chandelure.jpg

Chandelure spooky Plate
Ability: Flash fire
Evs: 252 Sp. Att. / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def.
Timid Nature
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
With pretty much perfect neutral coverage and quite solid super effective coverage if he manages to set up the sun, Max speed Chandelure has managed to get me out of many tricky situations with sheer power. He can safely switch into predicted fire attacks and get a boost out of it. His 145 base special attack is just insane and powered by sun or the spooky plate can throw massive dents on just about anything with his powerful STABs. He is also quite a solid spin blocker, running a decent bulk with 90 / 90 defences and just about enough speed to overrun and retaliate against anything up to about 100 base speed with no speed investment.

Kabutops.gif

Kabutops Focus sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Att. / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Naughty nature
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Jet
-Rapid Spin
My rapid spinner and main physical sweeper. The combination of swift swim, swords dance and focus sash almost always guarantees a +2 Aqua Jet or Stone edge, both STAB, giving super effective coverage against flying and fire types, namely the otherwise very hard to deal with Gale wings Talonflame, which succumbs to priority Aqua Jet. Rapid spin is also there to be used to get rid of entry hazards, even though no one on my team is too heavily affected by stealth rock other than chandelure. However, he does bring some surprise factor with his rapid spin so it is not blocked very often.

The Tanks

steelix.jpg

Steelix Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Att. / 72 Def. / 4 Sp. Def.
Impish nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Gyro Ball
-Curse/Roar
THE physical tank. A monstrous 200 Base Defence backed up by a solid 75 HP means that Choice Band Scizor & Family can keep going all day with their priority Bullet Punch and cause a damage that is next to nothing. Sturdy almost always guarantees stealth rocks up and EQ and Gyro Ball are two very solid stabs that can cause quite a lot of damage even without full attack investment. The last move I'm still unsure about. Curse allows to get the defences to skyrocket while also raising the attack to very high levels and doing even more damage with Gyro Ball. However, Roar would allow to phaze off switch ins and get even more passive damage from entry hazards, especially to special fire sweepers forced to come in twice.

goodra.png

Goodra @Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Sp. Def / 56 Sp. Att.
Modest Nature
-Rain Dance
-Rest
-Dragon Pulse
-Sludge Wave/Hydro Pump
This gal surprised me quite a lot. She proved herself to be a viable special attacker as well as a special tank, the main role I devised for her. Her fairly low speed doesn't hold her back too much as she just tanks off quite a lot of what is thrown at her. The combination of hydration + rain dance + rest gives full instant recovery, and the rain dance sets off Kabutop's Swift Swim, allowing for a very clean revenge kill if someone was to take her down. The damp rock is there to prolong the rain. Dragon Pulse is the main STAB, with full accuracy and a good 85 base power, hitting everything bar steel and fairies for neutral damage. The last move is still quite a hard choice. Sludge wave has 100 accuracy and sends the filthy pink gremlins back to where they belong, but has no effect on steel, while a rain boosted hydro pump provides much more neutral damage with lower precision. Thunder could also be a viable option due to the accuracy boost received from rain.

The Jack Of Trades

mega venusaur.jpg

Venusaur @Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
Evs: 252 HP / 220 Sp. Def. / 36 Sp. Att.
Bold Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis
-Energy Ball
Staller. Annoyer. Special tank. Physical tank. Special sweeper. You name it, he ticks the box. This beastly poisonous quadruped has the potential to fill in almost any role he is called upon. In his normal form, Chlorophyll ensures a first, heavy blow in the sun with a STAB energy ball or can lead to a nice set up with Sleep Powder + Synthesis for those who resist grass type. If this doesn't sound like the best option, his mega evolution gives a +40 boost to his somewhat lacklustre defences, as well as eliminating to key weaknesses to the ever so common fire and ice types thanks to thick fat. An ice beam from offensive Greninja takes only about a quarter of his HP, which he can shrug off with leech seed recovery and a synthesis every now and then. The only things that scare him off are Gallade,Mewtwo,Latios and the likes if sporting psycho cut, and the fairly uncommon flying types. All in all, quite a reliable team member unless the opponent has another grass type, especially another venusaur, to switch to.

This team has proved to be quite reliable like this, but any advice on items and moves will be very appreciated :)

Bump for one last time :/
please, any help will be appreciated, I'd just like to improve this team and need some enlightenment to do so

I don't really have a nice way to say this but this team is just really bad. In all honesty, it looks like wallbreaker Kyurem-B could beat your entire team by itself. You have a nasty ground weakness without any form of immunity or resist which is probably the most obvious problem here and luckily one of the easier ones to fix. The next thing that should be pretty apparent is that your dual weather literally cripples your team. If the sun is up, M-Venu loses his fire resistance from thick fat, and if rains up, chandelure gets wrecked before he can set his sun. Finally, in either weather Steelix is dead weight. I can't really make any suggestions without tearing this team apart though so all I'm really going to do is talk about item choice, since that's what you were mainly asking for.

For starters, red card on smeargle is pretty useless. If your going to run a lead smeargle the only item worth using is a focus sash so that you are guaranteed to get at least some form of hazard up.
Second, if Kabutops is your spinner, why on earth is he holding a focus sash? If your coming in to spin that means your taking some kind of entry hazard damage, ergo you have no item.
Finally, chandelure is really only viable in OU if it's holding a choice scarf, at least in my opinion. Fire/Ghost is a terrible typing defensively, so you need to use him as more of a hit and run type of poke.

All in all, this combination of Pokes really isn't ever going to work competitively. I'm sorry to say but you should probably just go back to the drawing board. If your new to teambuilding I think the best advice I could give you is to stay away from weather teams for now, as they're much harder to use effectively this gen.

Second, I would check out this thread:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-teams-staples-post-61.3495114/
They talk about what good teams have in common and what is important from a teambuilding standpoint in this Gen. Take it with a grain of salt obviously, it's meant to be a list of guidelines, not requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)