Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Crunch
Used as a check to weather teams and as a great switch in with tailwind. Basic tank with powerful sweeping capabilities once the fighting types and fairies have been dealt with. Good switching synergy with Mimikyu and Zapdos.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
Intimidate good for obvious reasons. Provides fake out support to surprise win losing matchups, especially if they expect a switch. Ice punch to check dragons and Landorus-therian. Used mainly as a cripple to physical attackers and to check Tyranitar and the many psychics and ghosts in DOU. often paired in with Tyranitar or Heatran who can either check flying types or fairies. Very good switch in with tailwind.

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 92 SpA / 52 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave
- Roost
Provides useful tailwind support for my otherwise fairly slow team as well as checking grass types like Tapu Bulu and steel types like Ferrothorn and Celesteela that would otherwise wall Tapu Fini well. Tbolt for other competing water types and consistent stab damage. Good defenses especially with misty seed, and can roost off moves like rock slide and thousand arrows until Tapu Fini can take the opponent out with muddy water or moonblast. Also checks Mega Charizard Y with misty seed activated, although Heatran can switch into that anyway.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 156 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Protect
Great starter, usually with Zapdos to lay misty terrain. Good check for sandstorm teams and dragons. Has solid defenses but enough power, especially with calm mind, to get rid of a good amount of offensive pressure like mega Medicham. Is a good check for Kyurem-black. Has incredible staying power especially with calm mind, and can turn into a sweeper if the opponent leaves it be to focus on the more obvious threats. Misty terrain works well with the rest of my team to prevent status, especially burns on my physical attackers, allowing me to sweep with confidence and check stall/status teams.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Wood Hammer
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
Used as a fighting switch in since others on my team are weak to it. Also as a late game sweeper. Once the opponent’s team is a bit crippled, he will come in and swords dance-sweep through the last of the bulk on their team. Shadow sneak good for picking off the stragglers, and wood hammer mainly for checking rain teams and mega Swampert/Gastrodon. Play rough as useful stab and to check fighting types

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Heat Wave
- Ancient Power
- Protect
Used as a defensive switch and support/steel check. Can switch into fire, poison, and ground without being affected, as well as tank other types rather well. Mainly to check threats like tapu bulu as well as the many steel types who are so prominent in DOU like Celesteela, Genesect, Aegislash, Mega Metagross. Can also threaten annoying supports like Amoonguss and Whimsicott. Ancient power mainly for checking other fire types. Also great check for hail teams and Alolan Ninetails. Can be used in tandem with Tyranitar once fighting types have been taken out, using the balloon and protect to allow Tyranitar to get earthquakes off.

Potential Weaknesses: other teams with both weather and terrain control can leave me fighting for stage dominance, though it’s just as bad for them as it is for me. Hyper offensive teams with extremely high speed can potentially stuff me out in the beginning if they 1HKO Zapdos, leaving me with a team with great defenses, but lacking the speed to consistently sweep and keep momentum. I feel like I might need another tailwind user as a backup plan, but Zapdos has been pretty good at staying alive so far, so I've kept it at 1 to keep my sweeping power.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi lede1243! Nice team you've got here, and it looks decently good for a start, but I think there's some improvements you could make to make the team function even more effectively.

Firstly, you're not quite getting the most out of Tyranitar. It's really strong but kind of slow and vulnerable to Intimidate, so the most common set for it is a DD set, letting it threaten a wider variety of foes and to just deal more damage and be scarier in general. I'd thus suggest dropping Earthquake for Dragon Dance on Tyranitar as a start. This also helps you rely less on Tailwind for Speed, or if your opponent runs Tailwind too you can set your own to match theirs.

DD Tyranitar is most valuable when it's given some kind of support, and while Tailwind from Zapdos is a good start, redirection would be even better. Therefore, I'd suggest dropping Mimikyu for Amoonguss. The thing about Mimikyu is that while it's kind of neat in theory, it just doesn't do enough damage, even after a Swords Dance. Your particular Mimikyu also has a pretty weak Z-move, since Z-Shadow Sneak is only base 100 power, so this would create an overreliance on Swords Dance before you can do any damage at all. Even after this it's still pretty weak - +2 Shadow Sneak doesn't even guarantee the OHKO on Mega Metagross, for example.

Amoonguss, on the other hand, does a number of things for your team (the set in question is Spore / Rage Powder / Sludge Bomb or Giga Drain / Protect):
  • Provides redirection support to help Tyranitar and Tapu Fini boost
  • Redirection support also helps you play around Hyper Offense better
  • Checks Rain well (you can use Giga Drain to help hit Swampert)
  • Provides a secondary Fairy-type resistance so you don't get owned by offensive Fairy-types
  • Soft check to Trick Room, since you can usually put the TR setters to sleep as long as you play around your own Misty Terrain
This leaves you with a spare Z-move. Some fun things you could do with it:
  • Grassium Z Heatran. This lets you lure and KO bulky Water-type Pokemon like Tapu Fini or Milotic which could give Tyranitar some trouble (especially Tapu Fini).
  • Electrium Z Zapdos. The same purpose as the above; significantly stronger, but doesn't have the lure potential of Heatran. Also makes Zapdos less bulky by dropping its Misty Seed.
  • Firium Z Heatran. idk this is just strong LOL
I'm on phone right now so sorry if this rate was a bit short, but I hope these suggestions help with your team! Feel free to tag me or drop me a line if you need further advice or if you need any specific help with EV spreads. Cheers~

Hi lede1243! Nice team you've got here, and it looks decently good for a start, but I think there's some improvements you could make to make the team function even more effectively.

Firstly, you're not quite getting the most out of Tyranitar. It's really strong but kind of slow and vulnerable to Intimidate, so the most common set for it is a DD set, letting it threaten a wider variety of foes and to just deal more damage and be scarier in general. I'd thus suggest dropping Earthquake for Dragon Dance on Tyranitar as a start. This also helps you rely less on Tailwind for Speed, or if your opponent runs Tailwind too you can set your own to match theirs.

DD Tyranitar is most valuable when it's given some kind of support, and while Tailwind from Zapdos is a good start, redirection would be even better. Therefore, I'd suggest dropping Mimikyu for Amoonguss. The thing about Mimikyu is that while it's kind of neat in theory, it just doesn't do enough damage, even after a Swords Dance. Your particular Mimikyu also has a pretty weak Z-move, since Z-Shadow Sneak is only base 100 power, so this would create an overreliance on Swords Dance before you can do any damage at all. Even after this it's still pretty weak - +2 Shadow Sneak doesn't even guarantee the OHKO on Mega Metagross, for example.

Amoonguss, on the other hand, does a number of things for your team (the set in question is Spore / Rage Powder / Sludge Bomb or Giga Drain / Protect):
  • Provides redirection support to help Tyranitar and Tapu Fini boost
  • Redirection support also helps you play around Hyper Offense better
  • Checks Rain well (you can use Giga Drain to help hit Swampert)
  • Provides a secondary Fairy-type resistance so you don't get owned by offensive Fairy-types
  • Soft check to Trick Room, since you can usually put the TR setters to sleep as long as you play around your own Misty Terrain
This leaves you with a spare Z-move. Some fun things you could do with it:
  • Grassium Z Heatran. This lets you lure and KO bulky Water-type Pokemon like Tapu Fini or Milotic which could give Tyranitar some trouble (especially Tapu Fini).
  • Electrium Z Zapdos. The same purpose as the above; significantly stronger, but doesn't have the lure potential of Heatran. Also makes Zapdos less bulky by dropping its Misty Seed.
  • Firium Z Heatran. idk this is just strong LOL
I'm on phone right now so sorry if this rate was a bit short, but I hope these suggestions help with your team! Feel free to tag me or drop me a line if you need further advice or if you need any specific help with EV spreads. Cheers~
Thanks man I appreciate it! I didn't realize the potential usefulness of a redirect mon like Amoongus could have for this team. I'll try your advice and see how it works. thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)