BW DOU: Zigh vs emma

Twinleaf Mutant Ninja Squirtles (4) vs. (2) Santalune Storms

SS DOU: shrop vs Shadowmonstr7
SS DOU: Paraplegic vs London13
SS DUU: kaori vs AtmosphereVGC
SM DOU: Spurrific vs stax
XY DOU: Amaranth vs qsns
BW DOU: Memoric vs DaWoblefet
The deadline is Sunday, March 21st, at 11:59 PM Eastern time.
A few quick notes/reminders:
  • Follow Smogon's Tournament rules (no ghosting, no leaking teams/sets in chat, etc)
  • All matches are Best of 1
  • All replays must be posted - the same policy regarding replays used in Seasonals will be used here. All matches without a replay will be treated as a double game loss.
  • I will grant activity wins or extensions if I have to, but only as a last resort. Do your best to get your games done on time!
  • Substitutions are allowed, but be sure to let the host, opposing player, and opposing manager know ASAP if one needs to happen. If both managers agree to switching matchups around in the same tier to accommodate timezone issues that is fine, but send me a PM on Smogon including both managers so that I know it's legit.
  • If any of the rosters are incorrect, PM me on discord asap and I will edit.

Last edited:
DPL7 Predictions Tour

The link to Week 5 predictions is here. Predictions will close in approximately 72 hours from this post are now closed. the results from Week 4 have been tallied. The top 5 are as follows:

1. Lunar: 610 points
2. Shadowmonstr7: 575 points
2. Mizuhime: 575 points
4. Emma: 540 points
5. kamikaze: 530 points

Lunar retains top spot. Mizuhime has moved back into the top 5, claiming equal second place. Memoric has dropped out of the top 5, sitting in 6th place. MetalGro$$ forgot to predict and has fallen from 5th to 23rd spot. kamikaze has taken their spot at 5th. RNG has caught up to the Ape, which only scored 50 points and dropped from 13th to 20th. Mass Opinion scored 145 points and has climbed to 8th spot. The full leaderboard can be found here.

1615786319025.png

Week 4 Predictions Recap:
  • All games counted for predictions points.
  • Frania posted their first prediction of the year, correctly predicting themselves to win and leaving all other responses blank.
  • The highest score for Week 4 was 180 points, scored by Mizuhime, kamikaze and Qsns. This was Qsns' first prediction of the year.
  • All users predicted their team's games
  • 12 users correctly predicted that Mass Opinion would score more points than the Ape.
  • I'm not going to check exactly how many people didn't say 'gg' but I think the response 'too many :(' is probably the most fitting.
  • The biggest upset was EternalSnowman vs Grandmas Cookin (1-26)

Last edited:
Did I make sure to predict in a way that let squirtles in playoffs? Yes. VAMOS HEROES JAJAJA

Spikemuth Spectral Thieves vs. Hau'oli Haxers

SS DOU: EternalSnowman vs Demantoid – this guy made every hard read last week in a fun match to watch, demantoid had some issues in duu but maybe they figure it out in a new tier

SS DOU: Toxigen vs YoBuddy – Both coming off solid dubs, riding with toxigen because I’ve been liking their builds recently

SS DUU: GenOne vs Nido-Rus – I think this is GenOne’s first game at duu this tourney, Nido got a win in it last week so they get the bold from shrop

SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Yoda2798 – yoda sogood sm

XY DOU: Human vs Mishimono – Mishii went fishing for mu last week it seems but didn’t get the preview he wanted and lost. Being 2-2 in this gauntlet tier is still impressive and I like his chances vs someone who is getting put in xy for the first time

BW DOU: Frania vs Biosci – Both have been beasts in bw this tour, bolding fran because I predicted against them last week and they owned their mu

Galar Ghosters vs. Hoenn Heroes

SS DOU: Grandmas Cookin vs Tenzai – Interesting mu, gma coming off rough loss and 11zai coming off a week on the slab, riding with team medi VAMOS

SS DOU: Maki vs TonyFlygon – maki has been freed but tony has been taking names VAMOS

SS DUU: The_Bandit vs SMB – Really want to bold bandit bcause they’ve been playing well but what SMB has been doing to kids in this tier is considered abuse in most countries VAMOS

SM DOU: emforbes vs Yuichi – Yuichoat has been a super gaming storyline, but im riding with the legend

XY DOU: Z Strats vs JRL – hype mu, JRL has been savage in this tier for a while now, bolding team medi VAMOOOOOOOOS

BW DOU: MetalGro$$ vs emma – emma is now apparently a demon at mons and has played enough/been around the tier enough to understand bw play

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Playoff Scenarios

Welcome back to another analysis of playoff scenarios! With only one week left this time it's much simpler to calculate, so I didn't use a program to do it. Again I looked at win/tie/loss results, but this time I have calculated the exact scenarios for different numbers of wins where they matter. Reminder that teams are ranked by points first, then tiebreaks go in order of differential (number of wins) -> head-to-head (result of tying teams' match) -> tiebreak match (tying teams play a shorter match), only advancing through the tiebreaks if they are tied at each point.

Storms
- Playoffs is guaranteed no matter what, only Heroes can reach them. Storms are likely to take 1st seed but don't have it guaranteed.
- If Storms win, 1st seed is guaranteed, obviously, as nobody can catch them on points.
- If Storms tie, Heroes can overtake for first seed if they win 6-0 to tie on points and overtake on differential. If they win 5-1, then both teams have equal differential and head-to-head was a tie, so it goes to a tiebreaker match. If Heroes win 4-2, or tie or lose, Storms keep 1st seed.
- If Storms lose, then Heroes can win to take 1st seed on points. If Heroes tie, it again comes down to differential. If Storms get two wins, they have better differential and take 1st seed. If Storms get one win, both teams tie on differential and head-to-head, so it goes to a tiebreaker match. If Storms get zero wins, Heroes receive 1st seed from better differential. If Heroes also lose, then Storms keep 1st seed on points.

Heroes
- Playoffs is NOT guaranteed for Heroes yet. They could make 1st seed, or could narrowly miss out on playoffs entirely.
- If Heroes win vs Ghosters, playoffs is guaranteed. If Storms lose vs Squirtles then Heroes take 1st seed. If Storms tie, then Heroes must win 5-1 to be all equal and play a tiebreaker match, or 6-0 to take 1st seed on differential. If Heroes only win 4-2 while Storms tie, or Storms win their match, then Storms will take 1st seed.
- If Heroes draw, playoffs is guaranteed. If Storms lose 6-0 then Heroes take 1st seed. If Storms lose 5-1 they're both completely equal and play a tiebreaker match. If Storms only lose 4-2, or draw or win, then they take 1st seed over Heroes.
- If Heroes lose, playoffs is not guaranteed. With even the minimum win score, 4-2, Ghosters will tie on points and differential with Heroes, but as of the match have head-to-head. Heroes will still make playoffs, unless Squirtles can overtake them. If Squirtles win vs Storms, they will tie on points. If both scores were 4-2, then Heroes and Squirtles will tie on differential, but Heroes go through on head-to-head. If Heroes lose and Squirtles win, and the score in either match was 5-1 or 6-0, then Squirtles will go through on differential and Heroes miss playoffs.

Ghosters
- Playoffs is possible, but not guaranteed for Ghosters. Ghosters cannot take 1st seed.
- If Ghosters win vs Heroes, with any score, they will overtake and be guaranteed playoffs. Even with a match score of 4-2, both teams will tie on points and differential, while Ghosters will have head-to-head. The result of Squirtles match does not matter in this case.
- If Ghosters tie, then their fate depends on Squirtles' result. If Squirtles beat Storms, they will go through to playoffs and Ghosters will not. If Squirtles tie or lose, then Ghosters will go through. If both teams tie they will be equal on points and differential, but Ghosters win on head-to-head.
- If Ghosters lose, then Squirtles or Haxers could overtake. If Squirtles win or tie, they make playoffs and Ghosters are out. If both Squirtles and Ghosters lose, it comes down to differential. If both teams lose by the same score, differential will be tied and Ghosters go through on head-to-head. If both teams lose, but Squirtles won more games than Ghosters (e.g. they lost 4-2, Ghosters lost 5-1), then Squirtles will go through on differential. If Haxers win vs Thieves, with that match and Ghosters' being 4-2, then the two tie in points and differential. If Squirtles also lost 4-2, then all three teams are tied on points and differential with no clear winner on head-to-head so IDK what happens. Otherwise, Haxers and Ghosters are tied in head-to-head so play a tiebreaker match. If Haxers get more than four wins, or Ghosters get less than two wins, then Ghosters are out on differential.

Squirtles
- Playoffs is possible, but not guaranteed for Squirtles. Squirtles cannot take 1st seed.
- If Squirtles win vs Storms, playoffs are still not guaranteed. If Ghosters do not win vs Heroes, Squirtles are guaranteed through. If Ghosters also win, it comes down to tiebreaks. If both teams win by the same amount, tying on differential, then Ghosters will take the playoffs spot from head-to-head. Squirtles must win by more than Ghosters to make playoffs.
- If Squirtles tie, then it comes down to Ghosters' result. If Ghosters win they make playoffs on points. If Ghosters tie, both teams have equal points and differential, but Ghosters go through on head-to-head. If Ghosters lose, Squirtles make playoffs on points.
- If Squirtles lose, then things can get complicated. If Ghosters win or tie, they take the playoffs spot on points. If Ghosters lose by the same score as Squirtles, differential is tied but Ghosters get in on head-to-head. If Ghosters get fewer wins than Squirtles, then Squirtles make playoffs on differential. If Haxers win vs Thieves then this changes things. If all three teams have a score of 4-2, making a 3-way tie on points and differential with no clear winner from head-to-head, IDK what happens. If Haxers get four wins, Squirtles get two, and Ghosters get less than two, then Squirtles and Haxers tie on points and differential but Squirtles go through on head-to-head. If Haxers get more than four wins, or Squirtles get less than two wins, then Squirtles are out on differential.

Haxers
- Playoffs is a slim possibility for Haxers.
- To tie for 3rd with 4 points, Haxers must win against Thieves, while Squirtles and Ghosters must both lose their matches (against Storms and Heroes respectively). If any of these do not happen, playoffs is impossible for Haxers.
- After tying on points, it comes down to differential first. Assuming a worst-case scenario for Haxers, all three matches end 4-2, giving Haxers the least amount of wins and the other teams the most (with the assumption they lost). Then all three teams will be equal on differential. Ghosters beat Squirtles, Squirtles beat Haxers, while Ghosters and Haxers tied. This means the head-to-head records (W-L-T) are Ghosters: 1-0-1, Squirtles: 1-1-0, Haxers: 0-1-1, with no clear head-to-head winner I'm not sure what happens. If only Ghosters get the two wins to tie Haxers on differential, then head-to-head is tied so a tiebreak match between the two would be required. If only Squirtles get the two wins to tie Haxers, then Squirtles go through on head-to-head. If neither Ghosters nor Squirtles get two wins, or Haxers get more than four wins this week (i.e. win 5-1 or 6-0), then Haxers will go through on differential.

Thieves
- Playoffs is only possible if Thieves literally steal another team's place.

TL;DR
Storms - guaranteed playoffs, staying within one win behind of Heroes guarantees 1st seed, being two wins behind can lead to tiebreak match or losing it
Heroes - guaranteed playoffs as long as don't lose and Squirtles win*, need to have two win lead on Storms for chance of 1st seed
Ghosters - make playoffs if they match Squirtles in wins, with the exception of losing and Haxers winning*
Squirtles - make playoffs if they stay a win ahead of Ghosters, with the exception of losing and Haxers winning*
Haxers - need to win and Ghosters + Squirtles both lose to make playoffs*
Thieves - guaranteed logo starting from week 1 next year

* - exact result can still vary based on tiebreaks, see above for more details

DPL 7 Prediction Tour

Week 5 predictions are now closed. Here is the breakdown, favourites in bold.

Spectral Thieves: 3 / Haxers: 21 / Tie: 2
  • EternalSnowman: 8 / Demantoid: 18
  • Toxigen: 9 / YoBuddy: 16
  • GenOne: 6 / Nido-Rus: 20
  • MajorBowman: 3 / Yoda2798: 23
  • Human: 6 / Mishimono: 20
  • Frania: 11 / Biosci: 15
Ghosters: 8 / Heroes: 14 / Tie: 4
  • Grandmas Cookin: 13 / Tenzai: 13
  • Maki: 4 / TonyFlygon: 22
  • The_Bandit: 3 / SMB: 23
  • Emforbes: 22 / Yuichi: 4
  • Z Strats: 15 / JRL: 11
  • MetalGro$$: 15 / Emma: 11
Squirtles: 10 / Storms: 11 / Tie: 4
  • Shrop: 19 / Shadowmonstr7: 7
  • Paraplegic: 23 / London13: 3
  • Kaori: 10 / AtmosphereVGC: 16
  • Spurrific: 12 / Stax: 14
  • Amaranth: 4 / Qsns: 22
  • Memoric: 9 / DaWoblefet: 17
Bonus: What will next week's Bonus question(s) be?
User 'ENZONANA THE DPL PERMABENCH 0-0' responded "idk but if any see this, free me please '-'"

Total Votes: 26
Most one-sided vote: MajorBowman vs Yoda2798 (3-23), The_Bandit vs SMB (3-23) and Paraplegic vs London13 (23-3)
Closest vote: Grandmas Cookin vs Tenzai (13-13)

Z Strats

Banned deucer.
The fact that I'm actually writing out predicts and almost nobody else is very sad. Also calling out Memoric for never doing week 4 predicts despite getting 20 likes.

Spikemuth Spectral Thieves (3) vs. Hau'oli Haxers (3)

SS DOU: EternalSnowman vs Demantoid - Demantoid is 0-3 and has not looked good while ESM hasn't looked great or anything but is not 0-3 and has played SS DOU this DPL. They both use usually less than ideal teams but I'm pretty confident in saying ESM is just better than Demantoid in SS and should get the win.

SS DOU: Toxigen vs YoBuddy - After all the shit Zigh got for his play on games he still won Yobuddy has gotten nowhere near enough shit for his awful chokes against Tony. Both capitalized on having better teams and matchup against their opponent last week but I'm bolding Toxigen because he hasn't choked away a free win.

SS DUU: GenOne vs Nido-Rus - Time for GenOne to be the thieves DUU sacrifice this week. Nido is the better player has more DUU experience and the thieves are 0-4 in DUU. Maybe GenOne can pull another upset like he did vs Memo, but I liked his chances of doing that better in XY.

SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Yoda2798 - I don't think either have played that great but I'll bold Yoda because his team will be more motivated having a small chance at playoffs and I think he's usually the better player.

XY DOU: Human vs Mishimono - Human has not looked good the past two DPLs going 1-6 with his one win being this year against Mizu who has gone 0-4. Mishi in XY is usually a competent good player that understands the meta and can get wins. I don't see Human winning this unless Mish does a mish.

BW DOU: Frania vs Biosci - Highlight match for sure. Both are good experienced BW players but I think Fran has just been more dominant in his wins and I'm never bolding against a BW Fran ever again after his confidence to go with his good play.

Twinleaf Mutant Ninja Squirtles (5) vs. Santalune Storms (1)

SS DOU: shrop vs Shadowmonstr7 - Noooooo shadow you were supposed to get Para so storms would have a slightly better chance of winning :psycry:. Shadow has played pretty well since his bad w1 and may be 4-0 but it's not like he's played any real good players to get that 4-0 (SS Fran can be good but is no BW Fran) meanwhile shrop is probably the best SS player who is actually playing SS this DPL and as long as he doesn't bring a fish into an almost unwinnable mu again should get the win. If Shadow gets the win here I'll never doubt him again though.

SS DOU: Paraplegic vs London13 - Para hasn't had a very impressive DPL so far not capitalizing on the mostly free SS pool as much as he should be, but I don't even remember the last time I saw London play DOU lol. Para is just the better doubles player with the better support. Only way I see London standing much of a chance is if umbry helps him get the win but I'm going to assume she's too busy learning/practicing SS in SPL semis anyway.

SS DUU: kaori vs AtmosphereVGC - This is mostly a coinflip I think I actually put Atmosphere in predict tour. Both have played pretty solid for the most part while both have also had games that are not so impressive. Bolding Hana here because she has people I can see supporting DUU better on her team and she should've beaten SMB without heat wave miss (pretty sure she still should've beat SMB even with the heat wave miss if she just pressed instruct over trick room but oh well)

SM DOU: Spurrific vs stax - A bit of a toss up but I think Justin has just been more impressive in general this DPL. Stax did pick up a pretty solid win last week and Justin did lose but he didn't really get to play the game bringing rain against someone who hard prepped for rain.

XY DOU: Amaranth vs qsns - With Memo deciding to BW now Squirtles are basically just giving a sacrifice to XY every week, this week Amaranth is that sacrifice. Not much to say here qsns is the clear favourite

BW DOU: Memoric vs DaWoblefet - Another highlight match and one that could go either way. Memo seems to be enjoying BW quite a bit right now and DaWob obviously loves BW more than anyone. DaWob said something about Memo teams having a certain quirk that he hasn't been able to figure out yet and that's literally my reason for bolding Memo here since in BW they're probably pretty even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)