Tournament Doubles Premier League X - Week Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead

Art by GenOne

• Follow all rules listed here.
  • Schedule via Smogon VMs. It's easier for me to make decisions for activity calls when I can actually see what went down with scheduling.
  • If you are unable to schedule with your opponent, please let your managers know ASAP so they can communicate that to me or the other team's managers for a potential substitute.
  • Substitutions may be made after a week has started. When making a substitution, please tag myself, the managers of the opposing team, and all of the players affected by the substitute to ensure that everyone is made aware. Players who have already played in the week or were subbed out in the same week cannot be subbed back in.
  • If a match remains incomplete by the time of the deadline, it will be subject to an activity call.
  • Replays are mandatory. Not only are they useful for confirming wins, they contribute to usage stats and allow the people who couldn't watch the games live to watch them later.
  • Managers: Please send me your lineups in the same format that I used to post pairings. It makes it much easier to post future rounds more quickly.
>>Spreadsheet<<
Courtesy of the amazing Ticken
>>Replays and Usage<<
>>
Commencement<<

Lavaridge Droughts (4) vs (4) Humilau City Hydreigons
SV DOU: Lemurro vs Opelucid
SV DOU: Grandmas Cookin vs YoBuddy
SV DOU: Idyll vs Paraplegic
SV DUU: Hys vs Queen of Bean
SS DOU: lax vs Bless
SM DOU: Yuichi vs zoe
XY DOU: JRL vs variationonatheme
BW DOU: Mizuhime vs yuki

Slateport City Sp_ndas (3) vs (5) Paldea Cratermakers
SV DOU: Lyssa vs Robbie35646
SV DOU: Amaranth vs EternalSnowman
SV DOU: Zeal vs Val16
SV DUU: Xrn vs shadekirby321
SS DOU: Star vs Tenzai
SM DOU: umbry vs Ann
XY DOU: sir jelloton vs zee
BW DOU: DaAwesomeDude1 vs Mishimono

Spikemuth Spectral Thieves (1) vs (7) Santalune Storms
SV DOU: Exotic64 vs Genesis77
SV DOU: SHIMA vs GenOne
SV DOU: bage1 vs GasaiYunoSan
SV DUU: Glimmer vs Nido-Rus
SS DOU: Railgun vs Iceberg77
SM DOU: Charlotte vs Croven
XY DOU: talkingtree vs laptops
BW DOU: Fran vs Smudge

Snowpoint City Cold Crew (3) vs (5) Milwaukee Ducks
SV DOU: Loudwinner vs papiloco
SV DOU: xqiht vs Schister
SV DOU: entrocefalo vs waffle2O2O
SV DUU: ratpacker vs RelicanthPrimal
SS DOU: robjr vs MADARAAAA
SM DOU: RL vs Enzonana.
XY DOU: SingleThunder vs Voltix
BW DOU: DaWoblefet vs Actuarily

The deadline for this round is Sunday, March 10th at 11:59 PM GMT -4.

Lavaridge Droughts (0) vs (0) Humilau City Hydreigons

Slateport City Sp_ndas (0) vs (0) Paldea Cratermakers
SV DOU: Lyssa vs Robbie35646

Spikemuth Spectral Thieves (0) vs (0) Santalune Storms
SV DOU: Exotic64 vs Genesis77
SV DOU: SHIMA vs GenOne
SV DOU: bage1 vs GasaiYunoSan
SV DUU: Glimmer vs Nido-Rus
SS DOU: Railgun vs Iceberg77
BW DOU: Fran vs Smudge

Snowpoint City Cold Crew (0) vs (0) Milwaukee Ducks
SM DOU: RL vs Enzonana.

eragon

:gaming:
is a Tiering Contributor
in memoriam to KeanuVGC - lost in the depths of LA traffic
(s/o Schister and Rayenith) and also qsns for the ladder cameo

Slateport City Sp_ndas (4) vs (4) Paldea Cratermakers
SV DOU: jonas vs Robbie35646

SM DOU: Yoda2798 vs SMB

in memoriam to KeanuVGC - lost in the depths of LA traffic
(s/o Schister and Rayenith) and also qsns for the ladder cameo

Slateport City Sp_ndas (4) vs (4) Paldea Cratermakers
SV DOU: jonas vs Robbie35646

SM DOU: Yoda2798 vs SMB
Free Keanu :(

Looking forward to my game with XQ this week!

week 7 highlights

Idyll hops tiers like Kevin Durant hops teams in the NBA but SV DOU was probably the last tier I would've expected him to play in this tour. From reading discord it seems like he really wanted to play para so here we are. I feel like 3-3 Paraplegic is a bit of an underperfomance compared to his runs from last year, but calling a .500 record underperforming just goes to show the reputation he's built up for himself over the past few years. Memo has never really been one to touch SV for as long as I've paid attention to it, but I've got a hunch a certain DNA Pokemon will be making an appearance from his side this week while he can still use it. Anyway, both these guys are pretty good at the game and should be a good show if nothing else.

I really respect vtheme, I think he's a really good player in XY/SM and I actually really wanted to get him for our team but he ended up being a bit too expensive. I'd be really excited to see him in this week if it was a do-or-die playoffs scenario, but since the Hydreigons are out this match results in a no pressure situation for him which I'm sure is welcomed. JRL's been mostly away from XY this tour but he decided to get revenge on me for SMB last week and executed a pretty good game + historically has been a very strong XYer so of course he's deserving of props as well. I'm not sure how much either of these guys are gonna follow DPL meta trends though, I'd honestly be shocked to see an LTV mirror.

For every highlights post so far I have avoided naming my own players because the bias is obvious and I don't want my team to think I'm more interested in some games than others, but this one is notable because ESM is the only 6-0 heading into this week which means he's fighting for a perfect regular season. I've had effectively 0 input on ESM's style, it's very uniquely his and he's been killing it all tour. I'm pretty surprised to see Amaranth in this slot but XY didn't go the greatest for him and Jello seems to be doing fine there with a 2-0 so I guess it's fair to see this being the slot he gets a redemption slot in. Please don't let tin's record fool you, he is an incredible player and the disparity in skill here is a lot closer than what you could infer from the sheet imo.

Croven brought monofire last week and the gods smiled on him because of it, so how could I not take the chance to highlight him when it's the last time I'll see him play SM in tournament for the next 10 months? Charlotte's momentum from the early season has unfortunately fizzled out, but after last week I'm convinced Croven just put like 6 teams in a roulette wheel and picked the one the ball landed on, so maybe she'll catch a break. Of course, Char's plenty skilled in SM anyway and I haven't had issues with her plays this season, the SM pool is just crazy competitive. I assume there's a lot of pressure on her end as the thieves can possibly sneak into playoffs with a blowout on the storms but we'll have to see what the pressure leads to.

Both these guys brought some incredible teams last week and I have to give them praise. laptops has gone off the deep end in the builder twice now this season and with the storms' playoff chances gone I imagine we will be going for a third this week. tree pulled off a MEGA CAMERUPT SWEEP last week and I'm now anxiously waiting to see if the cooking will continue or if he'll shift to something safer to maximize the previously mentioned slim odds of the thieves getting to playoffs.

I think this game is interesting because the winner will get the best regular season DUU record, but interestingly, there is also a very real possibility that this can become a playoffs rematch. Scouting is always a powerful tool but I think it gets even wilder when you're playing someone you've already played, so I wonder what will be more important to these players: going all out for the win, bringing some off the wall stuff to mess with the scout, or just memeing it up? Again, technically these teams aren't locked for playoffs if one blows out the other and the thieves like 8-0 the storms, so I probably wouldn't expect anything too crazy, but hopefully not a Mew Gyarados Metagross coaching mirror...

Everything I said about the potential playoffs rematch applies here as well. If you asked me before the season which one of these players would be 2-4 and the other 4-2, I would've instantly spat out the wrong answer. I genuinely don't think Wob's done a ton wrong either, I just think the BW pool is another really competitive one where small mistakes are not going unpunished and even the lower PR ranked players ended up getting a lot better throughout the season. All that to say that really I think obsessing over their records is pretty pointless, these are two very proficient BW players and it should be a good game. As an aside, I've been pretty surprised by how much rain Actuarily has been bringing this season when I feel like most players' sentiment is that rain's best days are in the past. I'd love to see him keep bringing some more cool rain builds for the remainder of his tournament.

I feel like I yapped more than usual this week when at first I didn't even wanna make this post, oops

ggs, sorry for freeze
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9doublesou-752548

this tournament has been a great experience. I might not have been able to play a ton but it's helped me identify and work on some previously invisible problems (causing two ties that guaranteed not qualling sucked tho), and I've seen improvement in other tournaments as a result. Looking forward to next year, and doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)