Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Closed

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
While milk's submission was funny, it was obviously not a serious team, so votes for him will not be counted this round.

All users who voted for milk are free to edit their vote for another user, otherwise, their votes will simply be ignored when determining this round's winner.

Last edited:
My vote is going for Pwndkthnx. Reasoning is pretty simple: it has two ground resists, paired with two water types (one EVEN with Icium Z!!) so that you CAN'T LOSE at all vs any GROUND type! It also has some great techs for water types, such as 2-turn SOLAR BEAM, and HP Grass Landorus! Fini is just a joke for you! Talking about innovation, Dazzling Gleam Bulu is a really good choice here so that you don't lose vs Cowmoo or Scrafty! I also like the idea on Flamethrower Mega Slowbro as you are able to tank a Leaf Blade from Kartana and straight OHKO it

voting for embcpt for real

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations to this week's winner: Human. His team and description have joined the others in the Hall of Fame. Up next...

1547759681784.png

Mega-Salamence, everybody's favorite table jet, is the focus of the week. Its solid offensive and defensive stats, coupled with a not terribly shallow movepool allow it to run a few different sets well. If its team can limit opposing intimidate, it can become a threatening attacker via dragon dance. One could opt to make use of its special movepool and fire off powerful attacks like draco meteor and fire blast, or even get the best of both worlds by using a mixed set. Salamence can also provide its team speed control through tailwind. Unfortunately, a 4x weakness to ice and the prevalence of fairies and intimidate makes it harder for mence to put in work in the current meta, so I look forward to seeing how you all attempt to deal with these issues. Good luck all!

The deadline for submissions is Monday, January 21st at 11:59 pm EST!

Last edited:

Mack Knife

Future 50th President

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute

Volcarona @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 120 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Rage Powder

Kartana @ Mago Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 128 HP / 8 Atk / 244 SpD / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Figy Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 140 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Scrafty @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Super Fang
- Fake Out
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Electrium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Protect

I built a team like this a year ago. The basic idea for the team is that Rage powder volc + dd Mence-M could be quite annoying. I started with the classic dd M-Mence. Volc helps pressure steel types for mence and rage powder lets volc take hits. I had help building the volc set bc all my ideas for it were pretty inefficient. The dou room decided 36 speed evs to outspeed scarf gene in tw, modest to kill all grass types with overheat, 120 spd with 248 to have a good chance to survive modest koko z, the rest in def. Volc takes ice and fairy moves for mence. Kart is also a nice partner for volc as fire moves are a pain. Kart also takes care of rocks and has a nice electric and fairy resistance to complement the team. I considered sub but I like two speed controls on the team and didnt want to cut other things. Fini finishes the fwg definsive core. Fini provides another wincon in calm mind (which volc can sometimes help set up) and provides a helpful water and ice resistance. I chose scrafty because I wanted another intimidate and didn't want lando or incin. Eject button acts as a oneshot u-turn which is nice to speed up the team's positioning. Taunt helps against tr and annoying gimmicks. A fighting type is nice for the rock resist. At this point I did not have great tr deterent and feared a few things like lando / mega-man intimidate spam and cm fini. This Kyurem-black helps carve up a few of those weaknesses. The team still has a few bad mus against things like modest koko dazzling gleam but should be able to put up a fight against anything.

Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 112 HP / 52 Atk / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Flamethrower
- Tailwind

Togedemaru @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Fake Out

Buzzwole @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 144 Atk / 84 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Protect
- Trick Room

Moltres @ Grassium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpA
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Got the original idea for tailwind mence + fake out togedemaru from my DPL Zardy/Toge team. Toge can redirect electric attacks away from Mence, put Lele into hyper voice range with iron head, put fini in double edge range with zing zap, and switch in for mence several times on incoming fairy or ice type attacks. Fake out is to help mence set up tailwind, and uturn so toge doesn't become dead weight. From there I decided I wanted a semiroom team, with two mons that outspeed most of the meta under tailwind, but set up TR and sweep if my opponent gets up tailwind before me. Hoopa was the obvious choice for the TR setter, and Buzzwole is a similar speed tier and does heavy damage to mons like Incineroar, Lando-T, Zapdos, and P2 that the other members of the team have trouble breaking. I needed another tailwind setter, and an answer to to bulky waters, especially Gastro. Bloom Doom Moltres is perfect for this role, operating somewhere between Mega Charizard Y and regular Charizard. I added a standard tapu fini build to round out the squad, another mon that can put in work both in tailwind and in trick room.

Last edited:
I actually quite like this team, it sparks a lot of ideas to follow up for me. Notably I want to know what direction would it go if Buzzwole + Moltres were role compressed to bulky Tailwind Kartana? Also to fit the idea behind this team, adding extra set-up in Calm Mind on Tapu Fini doesn't seem very easy to pull off. Tailwind/Trick Room -> Calm Mind are a decent number of turns you're not doing anything, and Tapu Fini looks like a decent pivot. Seeing Choice Specs or some other move/item combination may let you do more? I'm a fan of this team, and if anyone else wants to take a go of making it their own let me know.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Protect

Torkoal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Bulldoze
- Solar Beam

Cresselia @ Electric Seed
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Icy Wind
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Electroweb
- Nature's Madness
- Protect

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Semi-Room Sun

First off thanks to MajorBowman for the inspiration (Cress, Koko) over the past two weeks

I like my Mega-Salamence to be bulky with roost, this guy runs enough speed to out run base 100 speeds and Scarf gene after a dragon dance. I knew I wanted to run it on semi-room and thought it would be cool with Torkoal which helps with some tough matchups. I am using a Torkoal set from SMB that I found in older post.

Next up I decide to use Cress to use Icy Wind support for Salamence and to take advantage of the extra moonlight heal from Torkoal's sun. And of course as a solid win con with Calm-Mind.

Koko has enough Speed to out run that poison-dragon guy. Its a good electric mon and helps against Fini.

Gastrodon is a good Incin and bulky water check, he adds coverage thats I need.
Finally, Diancie with the TR and weakness policy for that extra strength.

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

mence and steels tailwind offense

okay so mence and kartana support each other really well, they cover each others checks offensively and mence provides speed control. i add incin for better help vs things like genesect and fini to help with kyube some and to cover opposing fire types. mence walls most fires but doesnt do a ton in return. fini is fast madness which supports kartana, u can do a madness + sword on stuff like incin to get kos without trading. i thought it would be fun to use surf fini with gastrodon, gastro covers things like metagross and incin rly well, as well as just being a fat semi boostable thing with recovery. the last slot is rly fun, hustle rockium z durant which helps vs opposing flying types like zapdos and mence, as well as kyube and incin. iron head is kind of expendable you can drop it for hone claws if you want, its rly just there to be a stab move lol. this is a team i rly enjoy playing with since it has a lot of offensive capabilities and a defensive double water back bone.

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kartana @ Mago Berry
EVs: 128 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 116 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 236 HP / 152 Def / 36 SpA / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Durant @ Rockium Z
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Protect

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This team has a few flaws, and if you read the description I tried to cover what they are and how to play around them. Overall though, I've been having fun with this team and successfully used it in seasonals this week.

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind
- Protect

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 128 HP / 40 Def / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Protect

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 68 HP / 248 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 216 HP / 116 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Icy Wind
- Taunt

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
I liked Human's proposed format for these types of posts, so I'm going to give that a shot:

1. Why is the Pokémon a core part of the team? Why is it important?

Mega Salamence is a pretty splashable Pokemon, and on this team it just offers lots of role compression. Basically it offers Intimidate support (pre-mega), speed control through Tailwind, and is just a fast but also bulky attacker that can switch into neutral hits and apply offensive pressure on the following turn.

1548015018710.png

The set I went with was the standard dex analysis set, but with Fire Blast > Hyper Voice. I think the mence analysis is due for a refresh (mono Flying STAB is terrible in this meta) but I liked the calcs that the given spread accomplished; OHKO no bulk Lele with Double-Edge, then dump into SpA. Fire Blast allows Salamence to properly check offensive Steel-types like Kartana and Mega Scizor. It and also gives it coverage vs Mega Metagross, a Pokemon that otherwise threatens Salamence.

2. How do the other Pokémon support this? Very brief description of what each Pokémon offers (typing/special moves/etc.)

1548015298979.png

Ninetales-Alola is mainly to offer Aurora Veil support, which makes the rest of the team harder to take down. Salamence and Zygarde both hate being Intimidate cycled by Landorus-T, and Ninetales-Alola deals with Landorus-T. Being able to reset an opposing weather is also nice. I went with Freeze-Dry in the third slot to solidify Ninetales's ability to deal with opposing rain sweepers, as well as bulky Water-types in general (including Gastrodon).

1548016987461.png

Zeraora is basically the fastest Fake Out user in the game, so it seems like a safe choice for ensuring that Nintetales can set Aurora Veil during an opening lead.

Went with a physical set to explore its physical movepool a bit more, and went with Adamant > Jolly to boost its power a bit more. Much like how Modest Koko is now an acceptable set now that Mega Gengar is banned, I figured that Zeraora wanted more power over the sheer speed. Close Combat gives another tool to hit a variety of potential threats, such as Tyranitar, Incineroar, Kyurem-B and Kartana among others.

1548017331110.png

I wanted at least one set up wincon to take advantage of the added bulk that Aurora Veil offers, so I went with DD Zygarde here. The set here is pretty much just the standard one. I just like bumping Zygarde's speed up to 274 so it always outspeeds a Jolly Bulu, since it only takes 12 EVs to hit that benchmark anyway.

1548017655405.png

Tapu Fini offers added insurance against rain, gives another speed control option, and is packing Taunt to help shut down bulky wincons like CM Cresselia and Chansey, as well as Trick Room setters, etc. I've been experimenting a bit with a faster Tapu Fini - you lose the ability to survive two Mega Metagross Iron Heads, but you get to move before a standard Zygarde and hit it with a Moonblast or Icy Wind, which is nice. On this team specifically, you also get to move before your own Zygarde, softening up a target ahead of a Tectonic Rage kill.

1548017839492.png

Finally, I knew I still wanted a Stealth Rock setter and another Pokemon with Fire coverage to handle bulky steels, so Heatran fit the bill. Besides, this entire team is already a throwback to old meta picks anyways lol, so I thought why not.

3. What does the team need to do in order to win? Identify win conditions of any kind.

This team is more or less built to win wars of attrition through good positioning. Usually you want to attempt to set up Aurora Veil early on to give your team the bulk advantage. It's also ideal to get Stealth Rock set up early on to punish your opponent's passive switching.

Between the hail and stealth rocks, you should be able to wittle down your foe through passive damage while they struggle to break through a team of bulky attackers buffed by Aurora Veil.

You do have Zygarde in the back as a Dragon Dance sweeper, which in many cases should be preserved at high hp so it can pull off late game cleaning once its checks have been dealt with (namely intimidate cyclers like Lando-T and Incineroar).

The whole team is a bit shaky versus Kyurem-B, so if your opponent brings that, try to deal with it sooner than later. Likewise, Chansey can be a bit difficult to break through before opposing Intimidate cyclers are dealt with, so if you match up versus a Chansey it's probably best to focus on the partners first until a late game scenario. Tapu Fini to Taunt the Chansey is probably your best bet if you need to control it in the mid game.

But yeah, overall this probably isn't the best team out there but, for the amount of time I spent building it I feel this is at least a fun team that can pull through in a seasonals match if need be. Have fun using it and let me know if there's a way to make this better :)

Attachments

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting is officially open. I am also happy to say that all submissions are eligible for votes this round!

Mack Knife
fespy
n1n1
n10sit
GenOne

Voting closes Wednesday, January 23st at 11:59 pm EST!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)