Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Closed

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm ending it a tiny bit early because I'm tired and assuming we won't get enough votes in the next hour to change the outcome. Congratulations to Mint16 for taking the win this week! His team and description will be added to the hall of fame in commemoration. Next up...

The speedy Zeraora zipped into the metagame recently, offering decent offensive capabilities between its base 143 Speed and signature 100 BP move, Plasma Fists. However, with access to Fake Out, Volt Switch, and Snarl, Zeraora's main niche right now seems to be in its ability to operate as a fast utility pivot. Still, with such a recent release, it's possible that there's a usage of Zeraora out there that hasn't been seen yet! Working around its mediocre bulk and tendency to be outclassed by Tapu Koko or Mega Manectric can be a bit challenging, so its movepool tends to do the work in carving out a niche; the aforementioned moves are all strong options, as are Close Combat, Knock Off, and Taunt. Let's see what you've come up with!

Submissions deadline is Tuesday, July 17th at 11:59pm EST

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

goon squad

Specs zeraora is hot, stop using it like it’s fuckin incineroar u pussies. Fini and Gengar are broken and torn is a hot intim check (spread out speeds timid lele and lives jolly lando edge) scrafty is a hot support mon and of course zygarde is also broken. Pivoting of fast strong volt switch and eject button on the scraft helps get zygarde in favorable situations or let’s torn get tw up and let gar do gar things. This teams pure hotness N10sit has done it again

Zeraora @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Icy Wind
- Taunt

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Protect

Tornadus @ Misty Seed
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Atk / 28 Def / 128 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Protect

Scrafty @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 80 HP / 200 Atk / 48 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Deadline passed but the only submission is n10sit's, so here's another squad y'all should try.

E: Also protip incoming: side-target your Defog attacks and you won't get rid of YOUR Stealth Rocks to the opponent.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 100 SpA / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Defog
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 80 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 88 Def / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Curse
- Protect

Zeraora @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Snarl
Zeraora + a hazards setter like Rocks Landorus-T makes for an excellent lead, since you're basically guarunteed a chance to set rocks unless your opp also leads with Zera. The combo of Zapdos, Ferrothorn, and Zeraora gives you three bulky water killers that share zero common weaknesses, thereby freeing Charizard to run mono fire coverage and still have room for Tailwind. Tapu Fini, despite the ostensible clash with Sun, is probably the best tapu to pair with Zard because of its ability to Defog away Stealth Rocks and destroy Kommo-O. I've had good results with this team and it feels well-matched against most opposing matchups. Have fun!

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
I am taking up the torch of running this thread from good user talkingtree and in order to get the ball rolling I'm going to award the most liked post the win for the previous round. Congratulations GenOne! Your team and description will be added to the hall of fame!

Everyone's favorite pink blob has been used to heavy usage in single formats due to its incredible special bulk and hp stat. Chansey has recently seen a rise in usage in our doubles community as its members realized that this bulk allows it to function as a decently reliable endgame win-condition. Chansey, while not able to dish out much damage, is able to provide large amounts of utility for its partner pokemon. It can offer protection with screens and the pseudo redirection provided by ally switch. Other popular move options include icy wind for speed control and wish/softboiled/heal pulse for a form of recovery for itself and or its teammates. It's ability healer lets chansey heal its ally pokemon of status at the end of each turn. Chansey is not left strictly in a supportive role, as it has access to both psywave and seismic toss as reliable damage options, each with their own respective inability to hit key mons in the meta: inciniroar and gengar. Unfortunately, chansey is not able to take physical very well and it's low defensive bst almost requires it run the item eviolite in order to make sure it can take attacks better. I'm excited to see what you all can come up with!

Submissions deadline is Tuesday, September 4th at 11:59pm EST

Last edited:

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm going to assume that some people were busy with Labor Day and preparing to return to school this week so I'll extend the deadline. New deadline for submissions is Friday, September 7th at 11:59pm EST!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Icy Wind
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 12 Def / 116 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 128 HP / 44 Def / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 136 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Calm Mind

Kartana @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 48 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 232 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect
Haven't had the opportunity to build for one of these in a while, so why not? Chansey helps out Lando-I by providing Speed control and something bulky to pivot into, Lando-I takes on Incineroar / Lando-T / Bulu pretty well. Double Intimidate helps ease some of Chansey's issues and double pivoting helps Lando-I get in safely, so Incin / Mega Mane seemed like decent next steps. Fini offers Taunt support and an alternative wincon, while Kart as a lastmon provides TW support, another strong attacker, and a Z-move user. The only really notable thing about spreads is that Chansey has enough Speed to outspeed -1 0 Spe Tapu Fini, so if it hits Fini with an Icy Wind on the way in, it can still heal up before being hit with an attack or Taunt. The rest are all in the EVs compendium.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Posting a team in this thread for the first time to provide tech support by helping laptops' reboot

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Ally Switch
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 156 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 136 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 72 Def / 24 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind
This is a team I built a while ago with laptops, coincidentally around Chansey. Scizor can help deal with pesky Mega Gengars and Tapu Bulus for Chansey, and in return Chansey can set rocks to help Scizor gets KOes with Bullet Punch. Tapu Fini does Tapu Fini things, importantly providing a resist to Fire- and Water-type attacks, and helping against Incineroar. Landorus-T has Intimidate and helps especially against Zygarde with HP Ice. Yache Berry is nice for living Ice attacks when you shouldn't, especially against Genesect, which you can Earth Power to put in range of +2 BP. Incineroar does the standard Intimidate/Fake Out/U-turn things, and is a valuable Fire-type. At this point there was a lack of speed control, I can't think why exactly we chose Mew over like Zapdos, but we did. Originally Mew was bulky transform, then at some point I seen Nido-Rus use this cool offensive set, and since the team had no Z-move decided to try it. People don't expect Mew to really attack, outside of Fake Out, other than maybe an Ice Beam or U-turn so the surprise factor was pretty strong. Being able to blow back stuff that don't expect it like Mega Gengar and Genesect, moreso if Tailwind is up, is really good. Though be wary that Mew's unique Z-move sets Psychic Terrain, which hinders Scizor.

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
We're off to a little bit of a slow start, but we're going to keep trucking along. Vote for the user who you believe submitted the best team.

talkingtree
Yoda2798

Voting closes Sunday, September 9th at 11:59 pm EST

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations Yoda2798! You take this week and your team and description will be added to the hall of fame!

With the introduction of intimidate Incineroar, teams are now often able to fit multiple intimidate users on a team. This "intimidate spam" is great for stopping strong physical attackers such as Zygarde from being able to set up or do damage. Tornadus has recently been gaining popularity in response to this heavy intimidate usage and provides great utility for a team. With a respectable 111 base speed, Torndadus is able to provide quick utility through moves such taunt and tailwind. Often seed carrying a terrain seed, Tornadus is able to fire off strong acrobatics and through the use of its more popular ability, defiant, is able to discourage the opponent from attempting to intimidate Tornadus' partner. However, with access to other offensive options such as heat wave, knock off, and u-turn, as well as another great ability in prankster, Tornadus is not necessarily limited to the previously described role, so let's see what you guys are able to do with it!

Submissions deadline is Friday, September 14th at 11:59pm EST

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Tornadus @ Misty Seed
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 80 HP / 196 Atk / 48 SpD / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 116 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 40 SpA / 84 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 32 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 128 HP / 44 Def / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Snarl
- Overheat
- Protect

So this is a team featuring tornadus that i built for summer ssnl. I started with the offensive core of tornadus + zygarde which is pretty good since tornadus hits most ground resist mons for super effective damage and takes advantage of opposing intimidate, and zygarde hits steel and electric types that are annoying for tornadus. Tapu fini is great here to activate misty seed on tornadus and to reduce by half super effective dragon type moves on zygarde while also providing a good ice resist and a second win condition with its cm set.
Incineroar adds another ice resist and intimidate and fake out support that helps to either set up tw or dd/cm. At this point the team was kinda koko/kyub weak so i went with ferro to check these two. For the last slot i wanted something to help pressure gengar and metagross and another ferro check so i went with manectric as my mega which also helps zygarde and fini to set up due to snarl.

I know the submission deadline has been long over, but I'm going to post a Blaziken Torandus team anyway.

Blaziken @ Firium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Volcanion @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 212 SpA / 104 SpD
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 216 HP / 124 SpA / 24 SpD / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tornadus @ Psychic Seed
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Mago Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 188 HP / 32 Def / 164 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Tapu Lele supports the team by giving Mega Metagross an extra firepower for Zen Headbutt, activating Tornauds' Psychic Seed so it can unleash powerful Acrobatic immediately and gains Blaziken immunity to priority moves. Blaziken has Poison Jab to threaten most of the Tapu with exception of Tapu Fini. I then include Volcanion as a check to Tapu Fini and acting as a switchin for Blaziken if it's going to get hit by Water-type moves. Landorus Therian is originally a Choice Scarf physical attacker, but I decided to change it to an Assault Vest special attackerbecause Landorus might not be able to use Earthquake unless it's paired with Tornadus or they use Protect.

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Apologies for the delay, but let's get this show back on the road. Submit a vote for the user whose team you believe is the best!

SMB
HeatEdgeSword

Voting closes Sunday, November 11th at 11:59 pm EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)