Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Closed

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tornadus is a terrible Pokemon but I think I have to vote SMB; his team looks more consistent and like it has more answers to threats in general

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations SMB! You have won this week and your team and description will be added to the hall of fame! Moving on to the next round...

1542026541355.png

Coming off an amazing winrate of 85.71% in SSD2, this week's building focus is going to be Victini. For a majority of the generation, Victini was primarily used as a choice scarfer that was able to fire off high hp final gambits and claim a KO early on in the match. Recently, however, Victini has also seen success with a slower and bulkier assault vest set that makes use incinerate to help wear down bulkier teams by destroying their 50% berries. Victini has powerful offensive moves like V-Create and Bolt Strike, good utility with u-turn and taunt, and even can act as a trick room setter. This mon only became better with Mega-Gengar's recent ban and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Submissions deadline is Friday, November 16th at 11:59pm EST

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Hime-sama (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 HP / 184 Atk / 20 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute
- Protect

bow bOWO (Victini) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Incinerate
- Glaciate
- U-turn

web designer (Araquanid) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Careful Nature
- Liquidation
- Bug Bite
- Sticky Web
- Wide Guard

aye aye (Tapu Lele) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

papercut (Kartana) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 112 Atk / 252 SpD / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

>w< (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

TL;DR version below

so i was thinking of stuff that could appreciate Victini's fire coverage and bulk with av along with the speed control it provides and was like holy shit i can use M Diancie, which led to me building this team

Diancie hits the standard defensive benchmarks, Atk invest allows it to 2hko Incin. 4n + 1hp allows Diancie to get sub up 4 times. DGleam 2HKOs Zygarde anyways and prevents Ally Switch + Zyg/Dragon from being too annoying

Victini helps Diancie get rid of bulky steels such as M Gross and Ferro which is really cool, also providing speed control and having access to Glaciate prevents things like Lando T from directly switching in, SpA invest OHKOS no bulk M Gross with Blue Flare which helps prolong Diancie's longevity and improve the M Gross matchup, allowing Diancie to do Diancie stuffs better

Lando T is the standard scarf set, and helps the team with Gross+Incin on Gross balance teams which Diancie and Victini might struggle against. Hasty is the preferred nature here as it can outspeed Deo A this way and also win against opposing neutral Spe Scarf Lando Ts, Rock Tomb OHKOs no bulk Zard Y and is also great for speed control.

Kart covers bulky waters such as Fini that threatens Diancie's existence while having great offensive/defensive synergy with Diancie since Diancie can help take out Zapdos and Incin. It also gets TAILLLWINND which is nice. Outspeeds +ve natured 252 base 95 spe mons such as Lele and Kyub, max SpD and Atk dump

Lele is there just for Lele stuffs and also Taunt to help with the Trick Room matchup. Outspeeds neutral Spe 252 Lando T. Psychium Z just nukes w/e that doesnt resist it.

Araquanid is the other Trick Room check on the team with its really good offensive/defensive typing and Wide Guard utility to help stall out rock slide/heat waves/tarrows. Sticky web also provides another speed control option against more offensive oriented teams, and when paired with Tailwind/Glaciate can almost always allow the team to have the speed advantage if the opponent is not running Trick Room.

TL;DR: speed control is nice, fuck trick room

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Protect

Victini @ Assault Vest
EVs: 192 HP / 164 SpA / 28 SpD / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Incinerate
- Glaciate
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpA
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 80 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Roost

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
I've been wanting to try AV Victini since I heard of it, but in practice a lot of teams I tried to build just felt better with Incineroar > Victini.

That said, Victini does fill some pretty cool niches, and it deals with Kartana a lot more reliably than Incineroar so it's definitely worth using on teams where you can fit it.

Basic idea of this team was just to build something balanced that has a few different ways to deal with Incineroar. Between Tapu Fini, Zygarde, and Scrafty, I feel pretty good about it. That same core also helps this team dance around 5 turns of Trick Room in a pinch, although ideally you don't want TR going up vs. this.

1542086559378.png

Just your standard 252/252/4 Mega Metagross. I decided to run Thunder Punch > Stomping Tantrum for a few reasons. It improves my Charizard Y matchup a bit, since most of my fire switchins have to take damage before attacking it, and can't necessarily grab a quick KO on it. Physical Electric coverage is also just great for taking down bulky Water-types, since they usually prioritize SpD (think CM Fini, Psychic Seed Milotic, Araquanid, etc.).

1542086993526.png

Pretty much the EV spread from a recent Smogon Featured Set featuring AV Victini, but with rejigged natures/investments for an extra SpA point. You get to:
  • outspeed a -1 Deoxys-A;
  • avoid a 2HKO from Landorus-T Earth Power; and
  • 2HKO Landorus-T with Glaciate
Blue Flare hits respectably hard (it's basically Overheat without the SpA drop). The next two slots are honestly personal preference. I find myself switching a lot between Incinerate / Psyshock / Thunderbolt - all of which are decent ways to hit Tapu Fini in their own respect. The latter two also make Victini a pretty good Charizard Y check, but burning opponent's berries is pretty valuable functionality. Glaciate is nice speed control, and Ice-type coverage on a Fire-type Pokemon is always great. U-turn is pretty much mandatory for pivoting out of bad matchups, such as vs. Incineroar.

1542088531381.png

Standard Calm Mind set. I wanted CM > Support so I could have a special-based setup wincon if needed.

1542088615957.png

Just the classic Misty Seed set. I considered going Whirlwind > Roost, but my matchup vs Trick Room and Kommo-o already feels fine as is. Heat Wave > HP Ice so I have a second option for taking down Kartana / Genesect / Ferrothorn / Scizor.

1542088737919.png

Pretty much the standard Dragon Dance set but with enough Speed to outpace Jolly Tapu Bulu, so in a pinch I can at least fire off one attack before eating a Wood Hammer. Extreme Speed / Substitute is just a preference thing; I waffle between the two moves quite a bit, but having a priority attack just seemed nice for this team.

1542088880692.png

Scrafty seems like a bit of a relic from the past at this point, but I still wanted Fake Out utility to deal with Trick Room and just to keep momentum up. I also feel a bit safer using Scrafty now that Mega Gengar isn't around to keep it trapped in vs. Intimidate spam. It also deals with Zygarde which is nice.

Attachments

Last edited:

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 76 HP / 8 Def / 188 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Victini @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Incinerate
- U-turn
- Glaciate

Kartana @ Mago Berry
EVs: 144 HP / 172 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Detect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Def / 68 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Pulse

I started to build this team around the core of mega blastoise + av victini since blastoise beats most victini checks (incineroar, ground types and rock types) while victini is probably the best kartana check, is decent vs electric types and it also provides some speed control and momentum with glaciate and uturn that mega blastoise appreciates. These two struggle to beat water types so I added kartana, which gives another way of speed control, and koko.
Lando was next because I didn't have any ground resist or a switch in to band zygarde. Z stone edge gets the kill on seed zapdos which otherwise could be problematic for the team and knock off helps to deal with eviolite mons.
At this point I wanted a good switch in to volcanion that could beat zapdos and fini so toxic chansey was what I opted for the last slot.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Victini @ Assault Vest
EVs: 120 HP / 36 Def / 168 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Incinerate
- Glaciate
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 136 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 104 HP / 216 Atk / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Zapdos @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 236 HP / 88 Def / 72 SpA / 56 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Whirlwind
This is a slight edit of one of my teams from Snake. Pretty standard looking Metagross team with Victini > Incineroar as the fire type. Victini provides a lot of utility in one slot while also exerting some decent offensive pressure. Incinerate was originally Psychic to OHKO Mega Gengar, but since Gengar is gone Incinerate is a way better option. I'm such a fan of Life Orb Kyurem-Black because it has incredible coverage and power while still being a deceptively bulky Pokemon, even with Life Orb recoil. Calm Mind Fini and Groundium Landorus helped give the team some more firepower on 2 Pokemon that have become a bit more passive in nature, while speed control options on 3 different Pokemon (Zapdos, Victini, Landorus) allows the team to keep its foot on the gas at all times.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

longest yeah boi ever

i built this a while ago and realized it got owned by gengar so i was like ok nvm but gengars gone!! so the wincon is obv skill swap contrary onto tini with scarf spinda. remove fire resists with fini and kyube and rocks damage. mane supports by just wearing shit down while tini clicks v create. this is rly simple to pilot u just like kill all the opposing waters and fires and dragons or weaken them a bunch until victini cleans. its super fun to pilot and looks kinda like ladder bullshit, which it is, but i think its as close to being properly built as this stupid gimmick can get

MajorBowman (Victini) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Has (Spinda) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Return
- Fake Out
- Skill Swap

Really (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Snarl
- Protect

Great (Tapu Fini) @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 124 SpA / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Calves (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

BOW BOW (Mew) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SpA / 12 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind

Last edited:

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting time everyone! Cast a vote for the user whose team you believe should be added to the Hall of Fame.

Yuichii
GenOne
SMB
MajorBowman
n10sit

Voting closes Sunday, November 18th at 11:59 pm EST

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
It looks like we have come to a tie at the end of the round so I'm going to cast my vote for MajorBowman to break it. Congratulations MajorBowman! Your team has won this week and as a result, it will be added to the hall of fame! Moving on to the next round...

1542677493668.png

This round's focus is going to be Mega-Latias: another bulky psychic that benefits from the ban of Mega-Gengar. It has access to great bolt beam coverage and its great bulk allows it to act as a reliable tailwind setter. Mega-Latias has access to recovery in the form of recover and roost and by using a calm mind set, it can act as a team's win-condition. While it usually is used offensively, helping hand, heal pulse, and ally switch provide Latias with some supportive tools as well. It is able provide teams with good coverage and fill the important role of ground resist, but it is also beat by top DOU megas Manectric and Metagross so keep this in mind when building. Happy building!

Submissions deadline is Sunday, November 25th at 11:59pm EST (submission round will be longer than usual in order to account for the approaching Thanksgiving holiday)

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

wu-tang forever

simple wincon of cm latias, try to remove everything that latias just doesnt outright beat, metagross, incineroar, tapu fini, and kyurem black are the main four (as well as any mon similar to these four, eg scrafty). its z nature power koko to alleviate the matchup with opposing dragons (kyube) and gives a way to still deal big amounts to things in electric terrain. (thanks to aura for this suggestion over fairium dazzling gleam) and i really think you could get away with sub kart if you wanted to but tailwind works well. getting rocks up with lando early can be important to wear down all the stuff you need to remove. important note for piloting this is to preserve the kart for late game if u can, letting it snowball on top of everything worn down can help you win even if latias doesnt seem like its going to pull it out

If You Want (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Beef Then Bring (Tapu Fini) @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 124 SpA / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

The Ruckus (Incineroar) @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 12 Def / 116 SpD / 80 Spe
A
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Wu-Tang Clan (Kartana) @ Mago Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Ain't Nothin' (Tapu Koko) @ Normalium Z
EVs: 112 HP / 16 Def / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Protect

To Fuck With (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Figy Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 124 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
qsns wants me to post bc he wants us to have credit for starting this wave so here i am

this was a team we built for snake for demantoid to use against miltankmilk(???) i think, its been a while. whoever it was, i saw they were weak to cm mlatias once lati got 1 cm since its very difficult to even 2hko at that point, while still dealing a lot of damage with +1 psyshocks. qsns filled out most of it after i got the main idea as usual. incineroar is because incin is fantastic and checks a lot of things that gives lati issues, which is basically steels and darks (metagross, aegi, hoopa, opposing incin). scarf special lando is the NUTS, doesnt care about intimidate and doesnt hit ur partners. rocks because rocks are great and chipping things is good. fightinium on kart is because kyub is a bit of an issue with this team. we had a good reason for gastro that im forgetting right now, but i think it was for another gar check since this was back when gar was legal. koko was for tapu, hard hitter, and discharge paired well with 2 grounds. i like this team a LOT, double intim + cm lati is great and easy to win with. also i like half built this regardless of what qsns says so thats probably why its my favorite team rn since its the most i've built in about 3 yrs so yeah. good team, might edit it a bit for adjusting to gengar ban since we havent touched it yet, but this is the team as of now.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Incineroar @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 112 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Recover

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Last edited:

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Rather straightforward team built around cm Latias, basically the aim is just to remove whatever which threatens Latias's existence/might be annoying for Latias. Latias is the pretty standard-ish CM Recover set, with me opting for Icy Wind over Ice Beam for speed control and so that Latias's teammates can pick up stuff like M Gross and M Mane while Latias tries to find opportunities for setup. Nihilego is the first mon that came to mind when I wanted to build around M Latias, being able to check KyuB + Incineroar in one slot, while providing Stealth Rocks utility is incredible. Next up, i wanted something that could deal huge damage to M Mane and Suicune since snarl was super annoying and hinders Latias's offensive capabilities a lot, so i came up with the idea of using CB Lando T in order to OHKO M Mane even at -1, while outspeeding M Mane and M Gross at -1 Spe thanks to Latias's Icy Wind. Upon adding Lando T, i realised that Ferro would be a problem for the team, hence I added Incin + Flamethrower Celes to help break through Ferro and as secondary Steel checks. Celes also provides Wide Guard support which eases the Kommo o/Zyg/Trick Room matchup, since Kommo o could become really annoying if it gets a chance to set up. The last member i wanted on this team was a super bulky Taunt Fini, which along with Celes and Incin, helps improve this team's trick room matchup greatly and also serve as a secondary check against Zyg/KyuB/Kommo-o, Natures Madness is also good for chunking bulky stuff like Chansey to allow the rest of the team to deal with them easily.

EV spreads: Lati is standard, Nihi outspeeds max Spe Zard Y w max SpA for seed Zapdos and Def dump, Lando T and Incin iare both standard as well. Celes is the standard spread from analysis as well, Fini is particularly bulky on the Def side with it still making the SpD benchmark so that both Celes and Fini can take 2 Fusion Bolts from LO KyuB at -1 and hit back with a Moonblast/Heavy Slam

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Nihilego @ Rockium Z
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 16 Def / 116 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 48 Def / 172 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Wide Guard

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 16 SpA / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Taunt

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Time to vote! Submit a vote for the user who you believe is most deserving of a spot in the Hall of Fame.

n10sit
Croven
Yuichii

Voting closes Tuesday, November 27th at 11:59 pm EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)