Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Closed

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Psyshock
- Protect

Stakataka @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Ally Switch

Incineroar @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 20 Def / 116 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Trick Room is obviously the most intuitive way to build around a 151 base speed pokemon. No but really I figured Pheromosa only ever works on hyper offense but Phero + Deo-A has already been done and Phero rain looks boring so I went with the other way of doing hyper offense. The other 4 kinda just came together after some experimentation as they cover just enough defensively and they're really really good offensively

Gothitelle + Pheromosa is actually a pretty sick combo for getting TR up, as phero's Z-move can straight up OHKO a lot of things and as the other pokemon has to target Pheromosa back, Goth gets to set TR for free and I get to send in an attacker that threatens whatever is on the field. All-Out Pummeling is basically fake out as long as it kills the target, but if your opponent leads bulky things that don't get OHKO'd by Phero, you can just U-Turn out and set room on the bulky things that fail to threaten Gothitelle. Sometimes you're happy nuking whatever TR check is on the other side with HH Z-Move too, and just setting TR later on; either way once the room goes up between Stakataka, Abomasnow, and Specs Fini you have ways to threaten anything imaginable; STag is great to help you pick up kills and make sure your opponent isn't able to pivot out and survive the TR turns with no casualties (and helping hand makes for some really powerful Blizzards and Muddy Waters too which is great to clean teams up sometimes). Pheromosa also really helps with setting room again once it runs out, because all the interactions that are true at lead are also true later on - as long as it has kill pressure on something, your opponent is really incentivized to target it and let your setter do what he needs to.

This is definitely not the most efficient idea I've ever had but it is one of the most fun while also being somewhat competitively viable, something about running Pheromosa in a full TR team amuses me

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 32 HP / 152 SpA / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Speed Swap
- Protect

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 116 Atk / 72 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Snarl
- Volt Switch

Genesect @ Assault Vest
Ability: Download
EVs: 68 HP / 88 Atk / 92 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Lurantis @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpD
Brave Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Protect

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

So Trick Room is obviously the best option to use a base 151 Speed Pokemon... oh wait TIN already did that. This team is a bit different though, as it's a semi-room team. Also, it has SPEED SWAP! This is an idea Sasa has used a long time ago, and I decided to use recently, with all the hype around Pheromosa.

Diancie and Lurantis are the main receiptants; both being slow, boosting attackers who greatly benefit from Speed Swap for functioning outside of Trick Room. Using Speed Swap during the last couple of turns of Trick Room is especially potent, allowing you to keep any boosts acquired and continue wrecking havok after TR ends. Mega Charizard Y + Diancie is a core I've used a few times before and really like, Charizard deals with Steel-types and weakens Water-type attacks for Diancie, while Mega Carbink can take care of Incineroar in return. In some situations Charizard can also work as a Speed Swap target: for example, in a test game vs Mishiimono, I used Heat Wave to KO the opposing Pokemon on the field before they could attack, while using Speed Swap with Pheromosa so that Charizard could outspeed the Pokemon he had in the back (Kartana, Mega Manectric, Landorus-I). Zeraora provides Fake Out and a fast Snarl, which is nice support for setting TR/TW. Assault Vest Genesect provides a Steel-type and another bulky pivot that can be used to take hits, while its coverage combined with Download means it can be used to hit whatever you need. An earlier version of this team had Mega Scizor + Volcanion instead of Mega Charizard Y + Genesect but was a lot worse, being heavily reliant on Trick Room being up to do much.

This is a very funky team, even ignoring the Speed Swap Pheromosa, there's no Tapu, no Intimidate, and a Mega Charizard Y without hazard removal in 2019, but I've not found these to be major problems playing with the team. With this final version, I've played quite a few games on ladder (my rating is ~1750), in room tours, and some other test games, and found this team to be quite successful. Speed Swap is fun to use, just remember Pheromosa will be slow after you use it!

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
DPL Champion

ponyboy (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

faceshopping (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Detect

immaterial (Tapu Lele) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

infatuation (Pheromosa) @ Fightinium Z
Rash Nature
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Protect

pretending (Amoonguss) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Grass Knot
- Protect

not okay (Zapdos) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 244 HP / 80 Def / 64 SpA / 56 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Whirlwind

ok so qsns made this team all on his own but doesn't want to write it up so here i am. phero is busted as shit, fightinium z from focus blast ohko's mega metagross so that's awesome. balls out HO is basically how you have to run this so he went pure, absolute, og psyspam with metagross lele and deoxys. gross is standard set, deoxys was originally sub LO (which i prefer) but he switched it to sash SR later because of sash and also having a move to use when ur at like -3 in all stats lol. lele is bulkier taunt to help check TR. amoong and zapdos fill out the team with a bit of a defensive core that provides redirection, sleep, tailwind, and a phazer to bone TR some more. we were going between seed zap and berry zap but decided on berry since its not really going to stay on the field like a normal seed zap would. anyway just a very, VERY aggressive team that's very fun to use and can destroy teams given 1 good turn but can get destroyed given 1 bad turn. have at it

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting is now open! Submit a vote for the user who had the strongest entry.

The Idiot Ninja
Yoda2798
Croven

Voting deadline is Saturday, April 6th at 11:59 pm EST!

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Croven (and qsns) do it again! Congrats on your win and entry in the Hall of fame! On to the next one...

Mega-Heracross has recently found a niche in dou due to being to able break through many popular meta threats with it's fighting, grass, rock coverage. It acts as a solid ground resist and can wall all grass types in the tier, as they primarily use only grass and fighting moves. While it is a powerful breaker, it is quite vulnerable to intimidate cycling and it's middling speed tier requires it to have some form of speed control (usually trick room) in order to perform its role effectively. Good luck gamers; I hope to see some epic builds this week!

Submissions deadline is Sunday, Aptil 14th at 11:59pm EST!

Mega Heracross is def a mon in need of speed support, so I decided to use the Zap + Fini core to start things off. For Zap, HP Ice was selected to deal w/ Intimidate users such as Lando and Mence. Fini was also given a more offensive role since all mons except Mega Heracross has some way to recover some HP. Then, I added Incineroar due to its valuable access to Fake Out, Knock Off, and Intimidate. Next, I decided to use Cresselia for TR support and counter opposing TW. The last mon to be selected was Gastrodon because it provides key resistance/immunity against Rock/Electric-type moves.

I'm pretty sure you're curious about my EV choices, so feel free to take a look.

Heracross-M
  • 144+ Atk Heracross-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 704-830 (100.1 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
  • 68 Spe to outspeed Manectric-Mega in TW
  • Rest on HP and SpD
Zapdos
  • 68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 16 SpD Volcanion: 270-318 (76 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • -1 252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 232 HP / 140 Def Zapdos: 240-284 (63.3 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Grassy Seed can be used in place of Intimidate)
  • Rest on SpD (Can be dumped in Spe to outspeed all relevant Choice Scarf users in TW)
Tapu Fini
  • -1 56+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 288-342 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 248 HP / 84+ SpD Tapu Fini: 140-166 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 8 Spe to speed creep standard Bulu
  • Rest on SpA
Incineroar
  • No real change to physical bulk
  • 224 SpA Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Incineroar: 164-194 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 80 Spe to outspeed Metagross-Mega in TW
  • Rest on Atk
Cresselia
  • Simple SpD bulk set w/ Kee Berry
  • Calm nature since it can still outspeed majority of mons in TW w/out any investment
Gastrodon
  • Standard set taken from the Strategy Dex

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 44 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 232 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 8 SpA / 84 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 20 Def / 128 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Protect

Cresselia @ Kee Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Moonlight

Gastrodon-East @ Groundium Z
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 236 HP / 132 Def / 56 SpA / 84 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Protect

Last edited:

P dope squad I made & laddered a bit with. Tailroom with underrated Nihilego and Heracross. Enjoy the replays (vs some pretty decent teams) and the importable. Ground Z Incineroar is to pop the mirror but I nabbed more Diancie and Volcanion with it.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-887496853https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-887248541https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-887111110https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-886534795https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-886355114

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 132 HP / 220 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Nihilego @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Trick Room
- Protect

Incineroar @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 116 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 72 SpA / 60 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 16 SpA / 92 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

Kartana @ Figy Berry
EVs: 184 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Detect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)