DP Altaria

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/altaria

No mention of a mixed set is dno. I have been using it on the UU ladder, and it really has been effective. A lot of walls go down to this thing.

[SET]
name: Mixed Altaria
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Roost / Rest
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild
evs: 112 Atk / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The UU MixMence. In UU, a lot of common walls fall prey to Altaria, leaving the rest of your team free to sweep. 265 Attack and 340 Special Attack (after Life Orb) is nothing to laugh about in UU, especially with such high powered moves.</p>

<p>Draco Meteor starts out at a massive 140 base power. Add STAB and the fact it is resisted solely by Steel, you can work out that you have an incredibly strong attack. Draco Meteor hits pretty much everything incredibly hard, bar the few Steel-types in UU such as Aggron, Probopass, and Bastiodon. All three are 2HKOed by Earthquake, unless they pack an abnormal amount of Defense EVs. Earthquake also covers the Poison-types, such as Muk, who likes to take your Draco Meteors, and Swalot. Flamethrower handles other Steels like Wormadam-S and Mawile, as well as the common Grass types, Venusaur and Vileplume. Roost gives you some reliable recovery, which helps with Life Orb recoil. Rest could be used if you want to abuse Natural Cure, as Altaria would be switching a lot anyway.</p>

<p>112 Atk guarantees a 2HKO on 252 HP/6 Def Relaxed Aggron, which is the most defensive Aggron suggested. Max Special Attack is fairly obvious, giving Draco Meteor even more power, not to mention Flamethrower more of a bite. The Speed EVs let you beat max Speed base 55s such as Relicanth, Omastar and Cacturne.</p>

I used a similar version, but defensive. It preferred Rest > Roost, and Toxic > Flamethrower.

Steels which are not Flying or Levitating do not exist in UU. With that in mind, i decided that the Dragon/Ground combo could hit everything with enough prediction, and went with Draco Meteor / Earthquake. Toxic is used for Bulky Waters (Quagsire, Gastradon, Blastoise), and I only had to worry about Grassers.

In my mind, if you use Leftovers go with Roost, since then you can afford to heal seperately. However, if you use Life Orb and abuse Draco Meteor, Rest is the more superior choice (especially if you use a defensive Altaria), as most of the times something with Ice Beam is switching in and you probably don't want to Roost in front of it.

None of the Bulky Waters will like a Draco Meteor, especially as they would be physically defensive. Flamethrower hits Wormadam-S who, although not common, would otherwise wall this set. It also hits Grass types without having to use Draco Meteor.

EDIT: I was thinking of adding some points about Natural Cure. y/n/m?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe I'm just not seeing it but is there something that Earthquake does that Hidden Power Ground can't? If I switched this to maximum Special Attack in HP Ground wouldn't that accomplish the same thing without having to resort to splitting the EVs? I could be mistaken but could you explain what EQ can do that HP Ground wouldn't ?

With Hidden Power [Ground], Muk is 3HKOed or 4HKOed. It also means that, if say Probopass comes in on your Draco Meteor, you can beat it rather than resort to a -2 Hidden Power [Ground].

I will come up with more reason in a second, I need to get the door.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/altaria

No mention of a mixed set is dno. I have been using it on the UU ladder, and it really has been effective. A lot of walls go down to this thing.

[SET]
name: Mixed Altaria
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Roost / Rest
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild
evs: 112 Atk / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The UU MixMence. In UU, a lot of common walls fall prey to Altaria, leaving the rest of your team free to sweep. 265 Attack and 340 Special Attack (after Life Orb) is nothing to laugh about in UU, especially with such high powered moves.</p>

<p>Draco Meteor starts out at a massive 140 base power. Add STAB and the fact it is resisted solely by Steel, you can work out that you have an incredibly strong attack. Draco Meteor hits pretty much everything incredibly hard, bar the few Steel-types in UU,[/b such as Aggron, Probopass, and Bastiodon. All three are 2HKOed by Earthquake, unless they pack an abnormal amount of Defense EVs. Earthquake also covers the Poison-types, such as Muk, who likes to take your Draco Meteors, and Swalot. Flamethrower handles other Steels like Wormadam-S and Mawile, as well as the common Grass-types, Venusaur and Vileplume. Roost gives you some reliable recovery, which helps with Life Orb recoil. Rest could be used if you want to abuse Natural Cure, as Altaria would be switching a lot anyway.</p>

<p>112 Atk guarantees a 2HKO on 252 HP/6 Def Relaxed Aggron, which is the most defensive Aggron suggested. Max Special Attack is fairly obvious, giving Draco Meteor even more power, not to mention Flamethrower more of a bite. The Speed EVs let you beat max Speed base 55s such as Relicanth, Omastar, and Cacturne.</p>

>>; This was the set you ran against me, right? I don't think I even worked out that it was mixed.

I would mention natural cure because this is one of the things Salamence can not do. If you do add notes on natural cure I would mention the defensive potential of this set too. This might sound wierd but taking EVs out of attack and speed then putting them into hitpoints would allow Altaria to switch into a great deal of attacks, draco meteor, rest, and then switch out full health. You might want to ditch earthquake in this case though. Dang maybe this is just a whole new set...

OK, with life orb recoil this might be a little unrealistic, but hey, with screen support who knows? The idea of Altaria having reason to be used in OU and launching off draco meteors without consequence is pretty exciting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)