DP Zapdos .

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nearly every possible Zapdos set is in the analysis...except for Choice Scarf Zapdos, which Jrrrrrr showed certainly is viable, going so far as to say "In all of my D/P experience, this is the best lead I have used." (here is his team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40713)

Anyway, the set:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/zapdos

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf Zapdos
Move 1: Thunderbolt
Move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
Move 3: U-turn
Move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic / Drill Peck / Roost
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Zapdos is meant to lead, and is meant to give issues to common leads like Gyarados, Salamence, Gengar, Yanmega and Ninjask (if they decide not to Protect first turn). If the opposing lead is not a great match up, Zapdos can U-turn away to the appropriate counter.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ice is chosen because it complements the Electric STAB well, and it is Super Effective against Garchomp. If defeating Swampert, Rhyperior and Gastrodon is of absolute importance, Hidden Power Grass can be chosen in this slot as well. The last slot's move comes down to which is more important: debilitating Infernape and Gengar with Thunder Wave, or crippling Swampert and Hippowdon with Toxic. If Heracross or Breloom are significant issues, Drill Peck can be considered. Finally, Roost is also a viable option over either status move and Drill Peck, if only to prevent Stealth Rock from hindering Zapdos' switching capabilities.</p>

<p>Zapdos is Timid because it helps it outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp, Modest Choice Scarf Gengar and nearly all versions of Deoxys-S, besides the ones with a +Speed nature and heavy Speed EV investment. However, Modest becomes a viable option if OHKOing Garchomp everytime is desired, or if dealing more general damage to Gengar and Infernape is desired. Modest can also be chosen if it is felt that Timid is not helping Zapdos outspeed threats like Timid Choice Scarf Gengar or if high Speed Deoxys-S become popular.</p>

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
Move 2: Hidden Power Ice
Move 4: Extrasensory / Roost / Thunder Wave / Toxic
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest should be noted as it gives Zapdos more fire power. With Choice Scarf, some people like to run neutral nature for it so it can't harm anyone to add Modest as a secondary option.

Even then, there are still certain Pokemons that aren't KO'd by Thunderbolt, such as Gengar iirc, and Extrasensory adds more coverage, as well as it doesn't force you to switch after statusing the incoming Pokemon.

Roost is also something to consider. With its SR weakness, it will be taking huge chunks of damage for every switchin. You could always roost on a predicted switch to regain 50% of your health.

Statusing should be last priority with these more useful attacks.

<p>Choice Scarf Zapdos is supposed to lead, and it is meant to give issues to common leads like Gyarados, Salamence, and Gengar. Also Yanmega and Ninjask (if they decide not to Protect first turn) can be taken care of. If the opposing lead is not a great match up, Zapdos can U-turn away to the appropriate counter.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ice is chosen because it complements the Electric STAB well, and it is Super Effective against Garchomp. The last slot's move comes down to which is more important: debilitating Infernape and Gengar with Thunder Wave, or crippling Swampert and Careful Hippowdon with Toxic.</p>

<p>Zapdos is Timid because it allows it to out speed Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp, Modest Choice Scarf Gengar and nearly all versions of Deoxys-S, besides the ones with a +Speed nature and heavy Speed EV investment.</p>

Everything else looks pretty solid. All of these sets your posting are awesome, keep up the good work!

I've used this set before on one of my offensive teams, except with a Modest Nature. It works great and is extremely effective. For the last slot, Drill Peck deserves a mention for OHKO'ing Breloom and Heracross, the latter with Stealth Rocks IIRC. It also worked a lot better than Extrasensory in my experience. I've had more battles with CSDos than probably any other Pokémon so I've tested out Extrasensory, T-Wave, Toxic, and Drill Peck in all slots. Extrasensory didn't add much, but the latter three were all extremely effective.

Definitely should be added to the analysis.

[SET]
Move 2: Hidden Power Ice
Move 4: Drill Peck / Roost / Thunder Wave / Toxic
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Drill Peck and Roost are viable on this set so I don't see why they shouldn't be included seeing as how Stealth Rocks play a major part in today's metagame making Roost necessary, and Drill Peck is can also OHKO Infernape, Breloom, and Heracross with Stealth Rock support IIRC.

<p>Zapdos is Timid because it helps it outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp, Modest Choice Scarf Gengar and nearly all versions of Deoxys-S, besides the ones with a +Speed nature and heavy Speed EV investment. Modest may be preferred because of the extra fire power it adds to the Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. </p>
If you add Modest, you should add this sentence in as well explaining why it is useful.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Out of my experience with the set, Extrasensory is a worthless move. What are you going to hit with it that Thunderbolt won't destroy? Nidoqueen? There are much better options for that slot and Extrasensory is already an Other Option for Zapdos. I haven't really tried Toxic on this set, but I can see it working since its not like you are going to be using Zapdos' fourth move much anyways. I'm just not a fan of Choice status moves in general. T-Wave was a last resort move when I used it.

I can't really imagine a situation where a choiced Roost would be beneficial, since if you are roosting as they switch to a counter, you just put yourself in a hole because now you are forced to absorb their attack with something else. If someone else has more experience with Roost on this set I would like to hear some more insight though. The only other move I can see working on this in the 4th slot is Drill Peck, since Zapdos outspeeds Scarf Heracross and Breloom and OHKOs on them are always cool.

Modest is also an option since ScarfChomp isn't quite as popular anymore and Timid Scarf Gengar has become standard since the addition of Deoxys, both of which will outspeed you with max speed. Timid just isn't as effective anymore, although beating adamant scarfchomp and all other base 100ers is a pretty cool thing. I feel that if you are going to use Timid, you might as well just max speed out. Is that extra 9 HP worth losing to something like a ScarfMence? I'm not sure, I just like the guarantee.

I feel that Hidden Power Grass is also a good option, since it nails Swampert and more importantly Mamoswine, both of which wall you otherwise.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fixed little mistakes, added Hidden Power Grass, Drill Peck and Modest as possible alternatives.

I'm not too sure about Roost however. I'd like more input on that.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd probably include Roost in the Set Comments, not in the actual movesets. It can be useful as without Wish Support, Stealth Rock is going to demolish Zapdos pretty quickly. Especially if all you're getting out of it most of the time is a U-turn, if say, your opponent has Cresselia or Blissey and you don't run Drill Peck. Just add a short sentence somewhere, along the lines of:

"Roost is also a viable option over either status move, to prevent Stealth Rock from hindering Zapdos' switching capabilities."

Drill Peck deserves a mention for OHKO'ing Breloom and Heracross, the latter with Stealth Rocks IIRC.
Drill Peck is can also OHKO Infernape, Breloom, and Heracross with Stealth Rock support IIRC.
just calced, Drill Peck OHKOs 4 HP Breloom / Hera always with or without Stealth Rock or spare Attack EVs and Infernape won't go down in one hit even with both.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<p>Hidden Power Ice is chosen because it complements the Electric STAB well, and it is Super Effective against Garchomp. If defeating Swampert, Rhyperior and Gastrodon is of absolute importance, Hidden Power Grass can be chosen in this slot as well. The last slot's move comes down to which is more important: debilitating Infernape and Gengar with Thunder Wave, or crippling Swampert and Careful Hippowdon with Toxic. If Heracross or Breloom are significant issues, Drill Peck can also be considered.</p>
Fixed a typo, Pick = Peck

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
After testing this a bit, I've found that Drill Peck is probably the most useful with Toxic coming in at a close second.

I really haven't been able to put Thunder Wave to much use really, seeing as a lot of the things that switch into Zapdos are bulky and or slow.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Zapdos is meant to lead, and (don't need "it" since the subject has already been established) is meant to give issues to common leads like Gyarados, Salamence, Gengar, Yanmega and Ninjask (if they decide not to Protect first turn). If the opposing lead is not a great match up, Zapdos can U-turn away to the appropriate counter.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ice is chosen because it complements the Electric STAB well, and it is Super Effective against Garchomp. If defeating Swampert, Rhyperior and Gastrodon is of absolute importance, Hidden Power Grass can be chosen in this slot as well. The last slot's move comes down to which is more important: debilitating Infernape and Gengar with Thunder Wave, or crippling Swampert and Careful Hippowdon with Toxic. If Heracross or Breloom are significant issues, Drill Pick can also be considered.</p>

<p>Zapdos is Timid because it helps it outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp, Modest Choice Scarf Gengar and nearly all versions of Deoxys-S, besides the ones with a +Speed nature and heavy Speed EV investment. However, Modest becomes a viable option if OHKOing Garchomp everytime is desired, or if dealing more general damage to Gengar and Infernape is desired. Modest can also be chosen if it is felt that Timid is not helping Zapdos outspeed threats like Timid Choice Scarf Gengar or if high Speed Deoxys-S become popular.</p>
Consider taking out the Careful I bolded when describing Hippowdon, because it implies that only Careful Hippowdons will be crippled and any other natured ones will be fine.
Also, if you intend on only outspeeding Modest Scarfgars, only 220 Speed EVs are needed, also allowing it to outspeed neutral Deoxys-e and adamant scarfchomp

Aldaron

geriatric
Alright, little fixes edited again, Roost added. Any additional comments for this set?

I also do not like the slashitis, but I guess the bottom line is that the fourth move is so need specific that it comes down to having four viable options.

Take out Drill Peck and Roost from the set listing, the status moves (especially Thunder Wave) were significantly more useful in my experience. You can mention them in the set comments still.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I agree with Phuq, you can still mention things in Set Comments without having to list them in the moveset. (which is what I said about Roost anyway lol). I think we always try to stick to never more than three options in one moveslot as well.

Looks good.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

Delete this one, it's already expressed reasonably on the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)