Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

1. My idea when building the team: I wanted a bulky team which could withstand many attacks but wouldn't be too weak to damage other defensive teams. I wanted to run pert as my lead since it had good bulk and sr. I also wanted away to force out any dangerous pokémon such as Infernape who the pert can tank 1 grass knot from. I decided that running yawn + focus punch as I could almost always force a pokemon out with yawn(excluding sleep talk pokemon) and that gives me a turn to hit the pokemon switching in with a focus punch. Looking at the swampert set that I made, I saw that it was weak to pokemon such as Skarmory or the bug steel types. To make sure that they wouldn't cause to much of a problem I decided to run heatran who would be able to melt steels away with fire blast, and is also able to toxic everything else excluding the rare poison types. Since heatran and swampert would have some difficulty against pokemon which would boost their stats I ran milotic. Haze allows it to stop dangerous pokemon such as dd gyarados or dragonite. Especially against pokemon such as dragonite or other pokemon weak to the water ice combination they would want to switch allowing milotic to safely recover any damage it might have taken as it is quite slow. I decided to run shaymin since at the time there were 2 pokemon weak to grass with one being 4x. Its leech seed + protect is stopped by many pokemon. And the grass types which do won't want to take multiple hidden power ice which can also heavily damage pokemon such as flygon and dragonite. Seed flare's chance to drop special defence would stop clefable from being able to tank seed flare and ignore leech seed. I decided to run protect over sub as it can also be used to scout out dangerous pokemon whereas substitute can't as the shaymin is not invested in speed. When I looked at my team at this point I decided that skarmory would be good as the team could force many switches using yawn swampert and having spikes support would also aid damaging defensive teams which could try to outstall the team. After this I noticed that the offence presence of my team wasn't really there. So I ran scarfed tyranitar as it has good coverage and with a scarf it can patch the fact that faster pokemon can easily pick apart my team.
  2. Negatives: My team is very slow. I have no way to remove hazards. Might be too defensive.

https://pokepast.es/9cb716ff6734553a

voyage

Banned deucer.
Hi,

I like the concept of your team based on pert with the classic FWG core with Shaymin and Heatran.

Continuing with the theme, I think it is an interesting pert set but I think you can get more potential out of it. If you care so much about nape with GKnot you can try Rindo Berry and end EQ as long as it is not Sash.

Hm, looking at your outfit's style you might consider trying out Roserade by Shaymin. You keep the famous core and above with Spikes / Tspikes you power more to Pert among others. Another option if you want to push and play aggressive (as long as you try the change) is CB pert or its mixed set which is a good answer for Nest / fable or Skarm. This is just a matter of trying and passing SR on Heatran for example.

Be careful with DD + Taunt Gyara as Haze Milotic is not enough and your team seems somewhat weak as well as nape.

Scarf Ttar is a great idea as you can remove threats like Gengar / Star or Latias with one tap. Hm, I'm not convinced by that nature and I don't think Skarm or Forre himself give problems. You can make it Jolly or leave it as is.

I do not think that it is necessary that distribution in Skarm with which you exceed other skarms with Taunt is enough and what is left in def / spd.

Well, I don't think I missed anything. I hope that with these small suggestions you will do better although I have not seen how the original version works.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: eu

Pideous

World Defender
Hi,

I think the idea of relying on bulk and longevity to outlast offense while maintaining offensive pressure against defence is really solid. I do think the execution here leaves some room for improvement though. Basically, I don't think this team is solid enough vs offense and lacks the longevity and power to handle defence.

Firstly, a handful of common offensive threats this team struggles with: Infernape (banded), Lucario (SD, bullet punch), Breloom (especially SubPunch), Gyarados (Taunt DD), Dragonite (Offensive DD). BandApe OHKOs or 2HKOs every pokemon and outspeeds everything except Tyranitar. SD BP Lucario sweeps if it sets up, for example on crunch locked TTar. Breloom is a nightmare as your Skarm lacks phys def, and will likely have to absorb sleep since everything but it and Shaymin is terrified of it. Since Shaymin has natural cure it cannot become sleep fodder, forcing you to check Loom with Shaymin, which is a recipe for disaster given how much damage FocusPunch does. Add in a lack of reliable recovery and an inability to OHKO Breloom to force it out and it becomes almost impossible to handle. voyage already mentioned Taunt DD Gyara, Offensive DNite OHKOs every pokemon after a boost with rocks up except Skarm, which lacks whirlwind to force it out or shed shell to escape Magnezone. +1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 24+ Def Milotic: 354-417 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock. TLDR, you have no fighting resists/ bulky physical walls (other than an uninvested Skarmory).

Moving on to defence - Skarmory. It can come in on and set up spikes against Swampert, Shaymin, Milotic and TTar locked into anything but FB. Those spikes can't be removed and hit everything except Skarm, which is hugely detrimental to their longevity. This issue is further pronounced by the lack of recovery on your pokemon as Heatran and TTar have no way to regain lost health and Swampert is entirely reliant on leftovers which will prove insufficient in more drawn out games. Shaymin and Milotic are both vulnerable to sand, meaning Shaymin can only rely on leech seed for recovery while Milotic struggles to accomplish anything against more defensive teams to begin with. This wouldn't be too big of a problem, but the lack of offensive investment makes your pokemon very easy to wall (Clefable is very comfortable against Milotic and Heatran, and Shaymin will struggle to break through with the unreliable Seed Flare given its limited PP and the assistance of Clef's teammates). TLDR, you can't outlast stall, but you also can't pressure it hard enough.

It's very difficult to make suggestions that would help cover all of these weaknesses. I could suggest Gliscor, which helps check some physical attackers and apply some pressure to stall, but it wouldn't fix all the issues the team has. I recommend taking the team in either a more offensive direction or a more defensive direction, and committing more to whichever way you choose. As a bulky offense team, pokemon like Heatran, Tyranitar, Swampert and even Shaymin can take advantage of their defensive capabilities while focussing on their power, allowing you to take hits and dish out KOs in return. Alternatively, pokemon like Scarftar, Skarmory, Milotic, Swampert and Heatran can find a home on a more defensive, Stall or Semi-Stall, team style. Either way you go, you should be able to keep the core idea of withstanding offense while pressuring defence.

I hope some of this was helpful, this team has a lot of potential. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)