OU DPP OU Cores / Little Synergies Mk. II

Two old threads that I really enjoy reading through are DPP Cores Thread and Little Synergies. This thread's purpose is to be a hub for both types of discussion and revive the concepts previously discussed. I'd encourage people to follow the Little Synergies framework a bit more closely here than just posting generic, very well-known cores; but if you have something unique to say about something already known then feel free to post something about it! Here is how BKC described the Little Synergies concept:

"One of my favorite intricacies of Pokemon is seeing combinations that deal with the metagame in unconventional yet effective ways. They don't have the renown of SkarmBliss, but they are the real deal. One of the more well-known examples is the pairing of Heracross or Celebi with Dugtrio in ADV; Hera/Cele will force the opposing Dugtrio to lock into Aerial Ace or HP Bug, which allows one's own Dug to remove it from the game - this makes for a great pairing with powerful Pokemon that commonly struggle with getting trapped, such as DD Tyranitar and CM Jirachi. Here are some of my lesser-seen favorites."

As an example, I'll start us off with two synergies:

Porygon2 + Swords Dance Superpower Scizor

When asking myself what are some of the Pokemon that SD Scizor despises the most, the first that come to my mind are Gyarados, Heatran, and Magnezone. These happen to be 3 of the Pokemon that Porygon2 most excels against. Tracing Gyarados's Intimidate, Heatran's Flash Fire, and Magnezone's Magnet Pull is an awesome way to turn the tide on these threatening Pokemon and force momentum back on your side. In particular, trapping Magnezone and forcing a paralysis on it is a wonderful way to support Scizor, as its Superpower can freely connect without having to take an HP fire to the face. In return, Scizor helps against Metagross, Bronzong, Gengar, Breloom, Clefable, and some other Pokemon that Porygon2 struggles with.

Lum OTR Zong + CB Tar + Magnezone

A very standard core, with the addition of Lum Berry Bronzong, which is a tech to help compensate for the stylistic weaknesses to Breloom and Gengar. This enables Bronzong to further support CB Tar by luring and removing Breloom in particular, which is a tremendous asset. Magnezone makes sure Bronzong doesn't give up too much momentum to Skarmory, and allows this physically offensive archetype to better bust through sturdy defensive cores. We used this during one week of SPL, and although the match was lost, the concept definitely showed potential imo.

Mixed Flygon + CB Tyranitar + Heatran (+ hazards)

Really powerful offensive core on paper. CB Tar busts up Clefable, Latias, and Rotom which opens avenues for both MixGon and Heatran. MixGon makes up for a really nice Heatran check, sturdy Ground immunity that outlasts hazards and helps the other two in longer games. Heatran helps strenghten the defensive backbone a bit more and highly benefits from the other two, set is very customizable but Lava Plume is encouraged for greater efficiency once Latias/Clef are weakened/down. Hazards are very much recommended and makes those together incredibly more threatening, altho it's not that easy to fit in. Don't forget your Fighting and Water checks and you're most likely good to go.

RD DD Kingdra + CroCune + Magnezone

Pretty straightforward but effective; RD DD Kingdra is a sweeper that can set up Rain for itself to its advantage and thus reset the weather, which CroCune greatly appreciates. Magnezone is essential and benefits both Pokemon as it traps and remove Skarmory, weakens Jirachi/deletes Wish Protect and eventually gets rid of Bronzong as well. Make sure to pack a good Breloom/Fighting check.

Modest Specs Latias
(lead) + Boom Heatran + Superachi/Sub CM Jirachi

Modest Specs Lati is great at forcing Tyranitar/Steels in early to usually take serious damage, which can be taken advantage of by both Heatran and CM Jirachi. Heatran is usually confronted face to face with defensive Latias/Clefable and can lure them with Explosion (Magma Storm eases the prediction task but it feels underwhelming as it is incredibly hard to hit those sometimes), Heatran is also likely to finish off Tyranitar and eventually can lure Swampert with HP Grass. Superachi offers great coverage options for the core and vs offense (Pychic/Grass/Electric - Psychic/Electric/Ground) while Sub CM is more designed to break through defensive and balance teams, both of them still highly enjoys Tyranitar/Steels/Lati/Clef dealt with in some ways.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:dp/tyranitar: :dp/forretress:

Scarf Tyranitar + Forretress

The combination for stall teams which aims to control the hazard game as much as possible. While Hippowdon stalls are mostly replacing the Scarf Tyranitar ones, the latter Pokemon still has a number of valuable traits for these teams besides the obvious sand: it is arguably the most consistent Gengar remover, it can offensively deal with other dangerous offensive Pokemon such as Latias and non-Bullet Punch Lucario, taking off the pressure from its teammates, it provides a tool which enables stall to not play a purely reactive game. Forretress as a Spiker is somewhat overshadowed by Skarmory which packs a lot more general utility, but the nicest thing about it is packing both hazards setting & removal in one slot. So, Scarf Tyranitar can rather reliably trap and dispose of Forretress' biggest enemy in Ghost-types, and this allows the player to win the hazard war by keeping both your own hazards on their side and your field clean from them. Another cool thing is that Scarf Tyranitar gets rid of Starmie as well, taking away the opponent's possibility to remove Forretress' hazards.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Scarf mag + scizor

Scarf magnezone with hp ground paired with scizor seems to have seen some use last spl to dispose of heatran and skarm, not to mention heatran is just a scary threat. Effectively traps non shed skarm and does a nice chunk to heatran at least. If not killing it.

Abomasnow + tentacruel + magnezone

Removes skarmory, nice switchin to most fire attackers attacks w tenta and t spikes for various things like swamp that your aboma might not be able to check the whole game. Magnezone clears skarm or paralyzes jirachi / heatran for a SD aboma sweep. Tentacruel also removes t spikes without having to spin but also can spin rocks for aboma.

Also, from Johnnyg paste, just posted about uturn azelf + magnezone + copycat Luke and other mag abusers. Pretty straightforward. Uturn into mag or copycat Luke, or boom w stuff then go luke for another fast boom right after.

Last edited:

16bit

What does your soul look like?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

SpD Empoleon Lead + Scarf HP Ground Magnezone + Skarmory

Here's something I've found to be really effective in practice: Empoleon leads are generally able to bring in your opponent's Magnezone, which leads your Magnezone to be able to reverse trap them and remove their primary Skarmory answer, opening up Skarmory to take over games in its absence. This core idea isn't exclusive to these 3 either, you can have Skarmory be the bait and Jirachi be the beneficiary, for example. SpD Emp is preferred as if your opponent doesn't have a Magnezone of their own, its role on the team is still important due to its natural defensive synergy w/ Skarm and its ability to take advantage of Spikes.

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hey guys ! Here is one of my favorite cores:

Will O Wisp Heatran + Superachi

In this post dug metagame, superachi has become, in my eyes, by far one of the best pokemon in the tier. I can't how many games ended with a sweep of this monster, combining incredible natural bulk, perfect offensive movepool and sufficient offensive stats.
Since Superachi is more like an end-game sweeper, you can use Heatran wow to cripple Tyranitar / Flygon / Swampert / Dragonite, but above all prevent them from revenge killing Jirachi later in the game. WoW is also pretty cool to wear down some other stuff like Suicune or Latias, which check Heatran in general. Even without talking about WoW, Heatran is rly cool to use with Jirachi thanks to his ability to threaten other Jirachi, Bronzong, Metagross, Scizor, Skarmory (if you don't run tbolt on rachi)... Finally, Boom can kill Clefable and Blissey, preparing for Jirachi's sweep.

Here's a team I built last RoAPL with Jirachee

Thanks for reading, this post was short, but I'll try to make more as soon as I can!

Pideous

World Defender
1623704532993.png
1623704552379.png
1623704564939.png

SubKnock Mamoswine + Magnezone + Starmie

I can't really imagine Mamoswine without Magnezone removing Skarmory and Bronzong from the picture, so it seems like a good core to mention. Knock Off lets even Shed Shell Skarm be trapped. Starmie is replaceable, but covers some of the weaknesses of the MamoZone pairing with a Fire and Fighting resistance as well as Thunder Wave to fully enable Mamoswine. Rapid Spin is beneficial since Mamoswine is quite hazard prone.

1623705064145.png
1623705075040.png

Specs Latias + Specs Lucario

A bit stranger, but I think it has some merit. The power of Specs Latias, especially with hazards, is well known. Lucario takes advantage of Pursuit attempts to maintain the special assault and can pose a real threat to a team battered by Latias and hazards. These pokemon have excellent defensive and offensive synergy, which can allow the forgotten threat of Specs Lucario to shine as a hazard abusing partner to Latias. (As long as your prediction game is on point and you can compensate for some of the free entry these 2 give to a lot of offensive threats)

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
heres a fun little core that i messed around with, though its nothing mind boggling or too crazy x)
1623712843545.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Protect

1623712852094.png

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

i used this core on a roserade fwg balance during last retro cup of pkmn finals and it worked out really well. jirachi is an excellent stealth rocker with this set, and uturn allows you to retain some momentum vs some more defensive teams. protect stops scarf flygon and other choices users from causing problems, so long as you have at least 2 ground immunities.

looking at common switch ins to jirachi in the tier, we have: swampert, opposing heatran (in particular sdef sets), skarmory, rotom-a to name a few. heatran does an excellent job in punching holes through these teams thanks to the raw power of life orb.

jirachi really shines as a pivot vs teams with latias, where it happily comes in to basically any latias set and gets some chip damage on incoming pokemon, with a plethora of threats to come in and start applying pressure.

i used this core in a team with: dual spikes roserade, as a punish for bulky waters and generally doing a great job or getting hazards up vs fatter teams, cm suicune for its ability to tear open holes midgame and its great defensive utility, scarf rotom as a spinblocker, and specs latias because it trades well vs offensive teams, has trick for defensive teams, and can healing wish to give heatran a second shot at breaking :)

heres a replay of the team in action: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-515510

Modest Gengar + Scarf Flygon + Leftovers Heatran

I had quite a few people asking about Modest Gengar on the team Sakito used vs Void this past SPL, and it also got some criticism from people who think gengar should never drop timid. I think this is the first time modest gar actually had usage in an official tournament, as it's been assumed ever since I can remember that gar had to be max speed and timid for the likes of infernape, jirachi, opposing gengar, base 100 speed mons, etc. However, if it has some additional support, I think that modest gengar is superior to timid on some teams. The two big appeals to me are crucial damage calcs vs clefable and the fact that Pokemon like infernape are much rarer and also slower since they run Rash + Leftovers more commonly.

252+ SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 222-262 (56.3 - 66.4%) -- Lets you always 2HKO Clefable after a Protect from full

Rose balances have the potential to struggle against Skarm + Clefable, and often require you to trade your Heatran 1 for 1, which can open you up to Jirachi, Scizor, and several other Pokemon if done haphazardly -- it's not always reliable. But modest gar gives you a combination of longevity via Black Sludge and additional pressure against stall (think Skarm/Jira/Lati/Clef cores). It prays on slower Pokemon with its increased power + improved longevity compared to Life Orb variants. In testing this was absolutely tremendous, and we supported it cleverly to compensate for the drawbacks. In the replay Sakito's Gengar is ohkod by a faster Jirachi's Psychic, but it doesn't matter. This is where Flygon comes in. Slow Jirachis that can stomach a scarfgon eq have a harder time vs modest gar, but the faster ones get revenge killed by Scarf Flygon much more easily. Heatran fortifies you defensively vs Jirachi; we took this a step further by using Metagross as well (and CroCune, lol), so we really didn't mind offensive Jirachi much. Overall I think modest gar is a luxury and you can't afford it that often, but it rocks on rose balance and it could definitely have merit on other styles.

Here are some additional calcs showing modest gar's great assets:

252+ SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 314-370 (79.6 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Clefable: 238-280 (60.4 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 144-170 (35.6 - 42%) -- 89.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 157-186 (40.9 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 192-226 (57.4 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 130-153 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 183-216 (51.6 - 61%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 230-272 (76.4 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (always kos after 2 SRs)

Lead Toxic Spikes Roserade + Agility Zapdos + Any CM Suicune Set (+rocks at least, spikes if you really want)
I love this core as I always feel like I'm in good position with Zapdos and Suicune in the back waiting with toxic spikes on the field to help get rid of Swampert and Tyranitar namely + whatever else happens to get poisoned. Rose is a good, decently fast lead and is nice being able to potentially sleep stuff but most importantly it set ups tspikes. Being able to threaten swamp with a leaf storm and ohko an unsuspecting scizor are great perks and also having a strong stab attack which are great for chipping/killing annoyances of the team such as Tar, Rotom, etc. I've use Crocune, Protect CM, and most recently Sub CM in the Suicune slot, but it really depends what else your team needs, it's up to you. Either way, Suicune's natural bulk paired with cm is always lethal. Zapdos with just one agility sits at a speed of 526 to just outspeed scarf Lati and the ability to spam a fast strong stab attack at end game is amazing. Some good teammates I've used in variations of the team were things with thunder wave (namely Wish Jirachi which TheTeacherofSinnoh recommended to me with one version of the team), Taunt Wisp Gengar to help with physical attackers (namely the three DD sweepers before they can set up), good bulky rockers such as Fire Blast Tyranitar and Roar Swampert. You'll prob want a ground type too or something that can take electric hits well/outspeed and kill them.

I saw the use of Tspikes + Agility Zapdos for the first time on an Osgoode(?) team. This core could probably be optimized, but this is what I've been using and enjoy so I wanted to talk about it.

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Agility

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Last edited:
Gonna revive this thread with a really fun pkmn and core I've been using alongside it

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
Adamant/Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

I've been using him on some offensive teams for several reasons. It can trap specs latias, as well as starmie and choiced rotom, which is very useful to enable tons of setup sweepers/offensive breakers. Its priority is also amazing to soft check DDtar in case you're using a breaker that's forced out by it. My EVs eat +1 DDTar fire punch/stone edge as well as mixgon fire blast after rocks, and you can eat two specs latias draco meteors. I'll let you guys do the calcs urself and figure out what works best cause the EVs are highly customizable. I took inspiration from BW's hyperoffensive teams when trying this set out, but I also noticed Pideous was using him too. Looks like people are already catching on!

Core:
+
+
+

These 4 pokemon have tons of synergy, and what I like most is that each helps each other offensively by either overlapping on certain threats or forcing damage on each other's checks. Scizor traps the aforementioned revenge killers/gyarados checks and can take a boom from meta/zong aimed at gyara. It enables you to use SR camel without strictly requiring a spinblocker because it can trap starmie. Superachi is hard to afford on very offensive teams because it lets Tyranitar in for free and having a DD go up against HO can often be detrimental. Scizor gives you the priority you need to soft check it, and its pursuit targets are important to wear down when trying to clean with superachi. Its superpower also often connects with the likes of scarf magnezone, metagross, bronzong, and opposing scizor, which superachi wants chipped.

Gyarados can opt to use outrage to put additional pressure on latias to remove it for jirachi. I also like to use stone edge to support scizor, which targets opposing gyara and zapdos. Its early-game breaking capabilities are extremely desirable for sciz/jira as it will also put pressure on metagross, swampert, bronzong, opposing scizor, latias, and defensive pkmn like skarmory, clefable, and jirachi.

All three of the setup sweepers in this core absolutely love camel's support via its excellent typing, sr, lava plume, eq, and explosion. Being able to pivot in on Zapdos/Rotom/Heatran/Jirachi, which can scare out our sweepers, is very useful (in particular scizor despises all 4 of these mons). It's also one of the most solid physical/mixed jirachi answers in the metagame, which is very hard to come by. It's immune to fire punch burn, not 4x weak to hp ground, and doesn't take that much from its physical attacks. Its type synergy with scizor is amazing as well because if choiced rotom locks onto shadow ball to hit camel, scizor can take huge advantage and pursuit trap it. Unlike your own heatran, camerupt is not necessarily forced out by gliscor and mixgon, which is essential for a momentum-based team given that these two pkmn are notorious for punishing greedy bulky offenses. Since there's so much pressure on latias already from scizor and gyarados, camerupt has a lot of freedom in spamming its lava plumes and eqs and forcing booms on clefable. I've always felt that camerupt was superachi's best partner, and it's even more synergistic with it than heatran since these ground-type momentum shifters can't guarantee that on camerupt and there's more consistency with converging an explosion on lati/clef. It's time people stopped sleeping on the camel. It's a sneaky good pokemon that I expect to keep rising in the viability rankings as people continue to explore modern offense in DPP.

Superachi is the ideal game-finisher/cleaner and benefits tremendously from the rest of the core's offensive pressure and defensive utility. Not much else to say for it that hasn't already been covered except that it doesn't always have to be the cleaner. It can very feasibly break well for gyarados/scizor.

Last two Pokemon?

I've experimented with several different last pokemon alongside these 4 mons and have already found some 6s that I think are very strong. You have a lot of options, so I hope you have as much fun exploring them as I have! Also I wrote this up quickly so sry if the writeup is kinda messy. Anyway, thanks for reading

1659280368904.png
1659280397748.png
1659280419671.png
1659280511237.png
1659280543691.png

I want to start with this offensive core. 5 mons seems too much but they help each other and removing one, scizor for example, changes everything and the core loses its value.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Tomb/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed/Aqua Tail

Let's start with those two. I never liked the way mixnite suffered from hazards. That's why pairing him in a very offensive team fix the problem, by putting a huge pressure on the opponent who won't have time to put rocks. Aero plays an essential role by being faster than all the OU and preventing SR, so azelf, skarmory, swampert, scarf ttar, empoleon and metagross (which are no longer played with bullet punch/aqua jet). I like the idea of Rock Tomb to lower your opponent's speed, and then send mixnite and outspeed any mon except scarf (of course it depends on the situation). The only more or less reliable check to mixnite is spdf hippo, that's why aqua tail can be revelant because it can't live this attack after DM. It can also help against spdef gliscor.

PkeL SweeTforU @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Grass Knot/Mach Punch
- Fire Blast

Scizor @ Lum Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Infernape : I know this mon is hated, but imo, I think it fits well here. Its main weakness being hazards, it benefits from the support of aero which prevents that, from mixnite which can pivot on breloom's mach punch in case it is weakened, and which puts a huge pressure on stealth rock user and especially skarmory (unlike DD). I play a relatively classic set with leftovers for more longevity (sand), but this thing has many possible options (passho, nasty plot/SD, ebelt - Stone Edge, HP ice, Toxic...), so feel free to explore and modify the set according to your preferences.

Also, infernape loves the scizor support, which can pivot and trap its main checks: gengar/scarf rotom/latias and starmie. Skarmory can add hazards on it, which's annoying, but he will be punished by taking a SP at +2, which helps Gyarados. And if after a SD my opponent pivot on restalk rotom, he will also be punished because he will not be able to burn you with WoW thanks to the Lum Berry. And then, infernape can still pivot on WoW if needed.

Lum Berry can also help against WoW Gengar and traps it without taking anything. You can also bait Breloom, wishtect Jirachi and Machamp to weaken them, which will help the team and mainly gyarados. For his EVS: it can live two draco meteor from modest latias. Occa berry can also be an option if you are very afraid of jirachi, even if the core puts a huge pressure on this mon. And infernape has a little defensive use because it can pivot on fire punch if needed.

Gyarados fits well hre because he can pivot on many mons that can scare infernape/scizor: lucario/flygon scarf, swampert, metagross/bronzong, etc. Many teams rely on rotom/latias/lucario scarf, to revenge kill this mon. You will not be in range of these attacks thanks to the support of the core which prevents your opponent from putting the rocks and thanks to the Wacan Berry. 24 in Spdef allows you to be sure to live Thunderbolt from scarf rotom after sand damage (highest roll's 93%), and also to live one DM from mixgon. Added Stone Edge to weaken/kill zapdos and gyarados which will help scizor and infernape. Outrage for latias but huge power is also appreciated for suicune, and weakening it will also help mixgon/scizor and infernape.

Weakness of this core : CM HP fire latias (thanks Excal), so be careful to the last mon. Anyway, this core is very offensive and has a lot of tools vs stall (and some offenses/bo), which's one of the most dominant archetype. Infernape is not that bad, it's just very bad to build around. But don't forget that this mon can outspeed and OHKO the whole OU on paper and his weaknesses were covered on this core. Also most of people don't prep against this mon anymore, which's great to surprise your opponents. Anyway, thanks for reading and sorry for my poor english. I'll probably make another bigger post tomorrow.

Last edited:

Le Don

La Déchéance d'un homme
is a Community Contributor
RoAPL Champion
My turn now, has been a long time since my last post ( close to 200 posts ! ). Let's talk about this mushroom right here :

Breloom DPP.png

(LEAD) :breloom: + :heatran:

spread the rot (Breloom) @ Focus Sash :breloom: :focus sash:
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Stun Spore

let us make doom (Heatran) @ Choice Specs :heatran: :choice specs:
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower

The idea is simple : most of the time people absorbs the Spore with something then if they don't have Sleep Talk they switch out on something that is good vs :Breloom: like :latias: :gengar: :gliscor: or a steel type. Because of Eruption, :heatran: is forced to run a Quiet nature, max speed Quiet :heatran: = 227 in speed so you do not outspeed non-invsted :Jirachi: for example. If you get a para then it will be easier to spam Eruption and to burst throught defensive :latias: which can stall out Eruption pps if he's faster. That :heatran: appreciate any form of para support, pretty sure that a Thunder Wave :Gyarados: can work well with it.
Any pokemon that appreciate para support is welcome with this core. Oh and maybe another item on :heatran: like charcoal can be good too because it sucks to get locked on a move that gives a free Dragon Dance to :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Dragonite: . So be sure to have good speed control in the back.

My own 6 with this core, it needs to be perfected ( movesets / spreads ) : :breloom: :heatran: :gyarados: :jirachi: :latias: :scizor:

:breloom: + :jirachi: / :gliscor:

spread the rot (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb :breloom: :toxic orb:
Ability: Poison Heal
- Toxic / Stun Spore

they will all pay (Jirachi) @ Leftovers :jirachi: :leftovers:
Ability: Serene Grace
- Calm Mind
- Iron Head
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

and

spread the rot (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb :breloom: :toxic orb:
- Spore
- Stun Spore

darkness comes (Gliscor) @ Leftovers :gliscor: :leftovers:
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Night Slash

Superrachi is a cool mon but it has many problems like :clefable: :latias: etc so I tried to find some solutions to improve the MU. Toxic + Iron Head came to my mind while I was watching a SPL game ( Void vs Tsunami iirc ). One of them was using Toxic Spikes + Iron Head Calm Mind Jirachi and that's a really cool approach of how to abuse of Iron Head while still being effective vs :zapdos: :breloom: :rotom-heat: :gyarados: etc etc . But :latias: , which is not affected by Toxic Spikes, is still a big problem : Thunder Wave, Roar, Earthquake ... yikes. So how to Toxic it ? I decided to try Toxic :breloom: for that.
Same idea as the previous core, :Latias: often comes on :breloom: so you should have many opportunities to Toxic it, then you can flinch it to death with sand + toxic damage. But :Clefable: is still a problem if you're not lucky with Iron Head ( you like to have a Knock off user with it ). Stun Spore is imo better on an offensive build. The moveset is w/e you want / need ( I like Sky Uppercut / Toxic / Leech Seed / Protect ).
And ofc those two have a good defensive synergy, :Jirachi: being weak to ground attacks. Just be sure to have a fire resist ofc.

Swords Dance :Gliscor: is meh with all those Ice Beam :latias: being around and it sucks to not outspeed invested :latias: or :gengar: ... so how to lure them ? Again Stun Spore :Breloom: .
It's an alternative or a complement to pursuiters. You paralyse the :gliscor: check(s) then you KO them with Night Slash ( which also has a better chance to crit ) or then you can trap them easily. Spore is ofc always appreciated because it can help you to get a setup opportunity and good Sleep Talk rolls vs Bold :Rotom-heat: and if opp is forced to absorb the Spore with his water type you will be happy. You prefer Adamant nature on Gliscor because it only has 95 in attack and you can afford speed thx to para support.
Don't forget to be safe vs :Skarmory: .

(LEAD) :aerodactyl: + :tyranitar: / :heatran: / :lucario: / :gliscor: all with :focus sash:

Thx to :Aerodactyl:, preventing rocks from any lead ( except from things like Scarf :Jirachi: + Rocks ), :tyranitar: :lucario: :gliscor: cannot be revenge killed by :choice scarf: :lucario: :flygon: or by Counter :Skarmory: . :heatran: can now be played very aggresively and can force double down with Explosion.
Credits goes to Sakito for :tyranitar: and :heatran:, Pideous for :Gliscor: and ig myself for :lucario: .

I have a lot of cores that I really want to show like SpD :nidoqueen: + Protect :mamoswine: + :magnezone: / :magneton: + Dragon Dance :tyranitar: but they're still in test phases. Maybe one day ...

Thanks for reading.

Heinrich Kemmler​

Last edited:
View attachment 443537View attachment 443538View attachment 443539View attachment 443540View attachment 443541

I want to start with this offensive core. 5 mons seems too much but they help each other and removing one, scizor for example, changes everything and the core loses its value.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Tomb/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Dragonite @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed/Aqua Tail

Let's start with those two. I never liked the way mixnite suffered from hazards. That's why pairing him in a very offensive team fix the problem, by putting a huge pressure on the opponent who won't have time to put rocks. Aero plays an essential role by being faster than all the OU and preventing SR, so azelf, skarmory, swampert, scarf ttar, empoleon and metagross (which are no longer played with bullet punch/aqua jet). I like the idea of Rock Tomb to lower your opponent's speed, and then send mixnite and outspeed any mon except scarf (of course it depends on the situation). The only more or less reliable check to mixnite is spdf hippo, that's why aqua tail can be revelant because it can't live this attack after DM. It can also help against spdef gliscor.

PkeL SweeTforU @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Grass Knot/Mach Punch
- Fire Blast

Scizor @ Lum Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Infernape : I know this mon is hated, but imo, I think it fits well here. Its main weakness being hazards, it benefits from the support of aero which prevents that, from mixnite which can pivot on breloom's mach punch in case it is weakened, and which puts a huge pressure on stealth rock user and especially skarmory (unlike DD). I play a relatively classic set with leftovers for more longevity (sand), but this thing has many possible options (passho, nasty plot/SD, ebelt - Stone Edge, HP ice, Toxic...), so feel free to explore and modify the set according to your preferences.

Also, infernape loves the scizor support, which can pivot and trap its main checks: gengar/scarf rotom/latias and starmie. Skarmory can add hazards on it, which's annoying, but he will be punished by taking a SP at +2, which helps Gyarados. And if after a SD my opponent pivot on restalk rotom, he will also be punished because he will not be able to burn you with WoW thanks to the Lum Berry. And then, infernape can still pivot on WoW if needed.

Lum Berry can also help against WoW Gengar and traps it without taking anything. You can also bait Breloom, wishtect Jirachi and Machamp to weaken them, which will help the team and mainly gyarados. For his EVS: it can live two draco meteor from modest latias. Occa berry can also be an option if you are very afraid of jirachi, even if the core puts a huge pressure on this mon. And infernape has a little defensive use because it can pivot on fire punch if needed.

Gyarados fits well hre because he can pivot on many mons that can scare infernape/scizor: lucario/flygon scarf, swampert, metagross/bronzong, etc. Many teams rely on rotom/latias/lucario scarf, to revenge kill this mon. You will not be in range of these attacks thanks to the support of the core which prevents your opponent from putting the rocks and thanks to the Wacan Berry. 24 in Spdef allows you to be sure to live Thunderbolt from scarf rotom after sand damage (highest roll's 93%), and also to live one DM from mixgon. Added Stone Edge to weaken/kill zapdos and gyarados which will help scizor and infernape. Outrage for latias but huge power is also appreciated for suicune, and weakening it will also help mixgon/scizor and infernape.

Weakness of this core : CM HP fire latias (thanks Excal), so be careful to the last mon. Anyway, this core is very offensive and has a lot of tools vs stall (and some offenses/bo), which's one of the most dominant archetype. Infernape is not that bad, it's just very bad to build around. But don't forget that this mon can outspeed and OHKO the whole OU on paper and his weaknesses were covered on this core. Also most of people don't prep against this mon anymore, which's great to surprise your opponents. Anyway, thanks for reading and sorry for my poor english. I'll probably make another bigger post tomorrow.

Thanks Student of Sinnoh, I have come back to the metagame DPP from way back at 2015(last time I played) and the metagame is unrecognizable. I been having a bit of a headache on the teambuilding, so I'll test this core and see what results I get.

I have been enjoying this offensive core of SD Breloom + SD Lucario:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

• Both mons have similar checks and counters, but have the ability to cripple them in the process with strong attacks/priority (or sleep in Breloom's case. Saving spore until the midgame is really nice. Although, I think you could even experiment with swapping spore for a coverage/surprise move to hit certain counters - Facade, Stone Edge, Superpower, Leech Seed, Substitute, Toxic seem like decent options depending on who you want to hit/wear down?)
  • Zapdos, celebi, rotom, latias, offensive Starmie can cause this core trouble. Ttar is a nice team option to trap them. Bulky grounds and heatran also have some nice synergies imo
  • Having 3 strong forms of priority is great. Bullet punch in particular is really nice and lets you blow past scarf ttar, gengar at the cost of having to deal with rotom elsewhere
  • Entry hazards are really good, esp for Lucario

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)