DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 6 - Using the DPPt Shiny Egg Finder
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Introduction
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 1 - How to Hatch a Shiny Pokémon
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 2 - Common information for Breeding and Capturing Perfect Pokémon
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 3 - How to Hatch Perfect Pokémon
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 4 - How to Capture Perfect Pokémon
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 5 - Receiving Perfect Wondercard Pokémon
- DPP RNG Manipulation Guide Part 6 - Using the DPPt Shiny Egg Finder
In the past, hatching a shiny egg in the 4th generation Pokémon games involved soft resetting for an initial seed with the desired nature, ability, and gender at a low frame. This was a tedious and time-consuming process. Since no number in the game is truly "random", it makes sense that there is a way to abuse for a seed with the desired egg attributes without hours of soft-resetting the game. This guide will outline the steps necessary to do just that.
- RNG Reporter Note to Mac Users: This software works under Windows and Linux. Although there is not a Macintosh version at this time, there is a tutorial for running it here.
- Your ID and SID for the game where you wish to hatch shinies. Your SID, or Secret ID, is not visible by normal means, but can be easily retrieved if you have a caught (non-chained) shiny and then by doing a bit of math or using the "IVs to PID" feature in RNG Reporter. Additionally, you can deduce your SID if you have between four and eight chained shinies by using the "Chain to SID" feature of RNG Reporter.
- The Happiness Checker (#6) Pokétch Application, which you receive from a woman in the Eterna City PokéCenter.
- The Coin Flip (#15) Pokétch Application. You will find this application in the Valor Resort area, south of the woman who lost her key. Use Rock Climb, and go down to the house on the ledge. The man in the house will give you the application.
- Two compatible parents for breeding. An Everstone will NOT be helpful or necessary. Do not equip an Everstone.
- A full party of six Pokémon, with no eggs. If desired, the parents can be two of the party Pokémon.
- Note: Refer to Section 3 of this guide for further prerequisites if you wish to reset for perfect Individual Values once you have your shiny egg.
Initial Calibration Phase
Use the calibration steps from "Common Information for Breeding and Capturing Perfect Pokémon" to get the necessary information. These steps should only need to be performed once (when you first begin learning how to reset), so make sure that you have done a good job.
Selecting the Desired Attributes and Generating a Target Time
Now that you have collected some data about your average delay and can accurately reset for the specified second, it is time to find a good spread. To begin, open the Time Finder in RNG Reporter and select the "DPPt Shiny Egg" tab.
You will want to select a year, month, and date for your target time; minimum and maximum delays; the second they appear; and the desired nature, gender, and ability. The non-obvious items are explained in detail below.
Minimum and Maximum Delays - These should generally be near the average delay value that you determined during the Calibration Phase. Having these ranges too high or low can make it much more difficult to attain.
Nature - This option lets you filter the results to only return Pokémon of a particular nature.
Ability - Pokémon may have two possible abilities, one of which is often preferred. The "Ability" option allows you to filter results based on the ability. As RNG Reporter does not know the Pokémon you are capturing, it simply requests the ability as "0", "1", or "Any". When the "Any" option is selected, all results will be returned, regardless of the ability. When either "0" or "1" are selected, only results with that particular ability will be returned. To convert these numbers to an actual ability, click the "Dex / IV Check" button in RNG Reporter and select the Pokémon you are capturing. Additionally, there is an online listing for Pokemon with multiple abilities in X-Act's article on PID Creation.
Gender and Gender Ratio - Most Pokémon can be of either gender, but the ratio of Female to Male offspring depends on the Species. A Species is all Pokémon with the same Pokédex number. Gender Ratio means that a certain percentage of the offspring will be either male or female. You can verify this ratio for your Pokémon by checking a reliable online Pokédex, like those found on Serebii or Marriland. For example Butterfree has a 50% male ratio, so you have equal odds of getting a male or female when you breed it. However, Eevee has a 87.5% male ratio, meaning it is very unlikely that you would get a female, since only 12.5% of all Eevee are female.
After all of the information has been filled in click the "Generate" button. The search may take some time, so be patient. You may cancel before the search is finished and see your partial results, though. Now you should have at least one seed with the desired attributes at a low frame. The Target Time, number of Happiness Checker double taps, and Coin Flips are displayed, along with the first ten coin flip results. Select a seed by highlighting it, and right click on the seed. Then, you should select "Copy Seed to Clipboard". This will be helpful later when you are checking your results.
Soft Resetting for Your Final Result
- Begin your cycle of soft resetting, remembering to set the clock on your DS each and every time so that the time when you "Continue" matches your target time. Instructions for reliably hitting the target time are found in the "Common information for Breeding and Capturing Perfect Pokémon" section.
- Once in-game, you will want to verify that you have correctly hit your target time and delay. The easiest way to do this is by using the Coin Flip trick. This means that you will perform 10 coin flips and verify them against those shown in the Shiny Egg Finder window. If they match what is shown in the Shiny Egg Finder window, then you hit your desired initial seed. If you miss your target time and delay, then you can use the "Search Flips" function of the Seed to Time window to figure out what time and delay you actually hit. This is why it is helpful to copy and paste your desired seed from the Shiny Egg Finder window. Checking your delay is intuitive:
- First, paste the target seed from the Time Finder window into the Seed to Time window, fill in the target second and year, and click Generate. This will give you a list of all the times that will generate that seed.
- Next, find the target time you are attempting to hit and highlight it. Select a range of Delays and Seconds in the middle bar of the applet, and click Generate on the same area. This will produce a list of coin flips for the adjacent times and delays near your target. A good range for the search is plus or minus 25 for delays and 0 for seconds, since the second will not vary by much. Of course, you can use more narrow values for the search if you are more consistent at hitting your target time, or wider values if you are less consistent.
- After that, click on Search Flips and enter the results of your first 10 coin flips.
- Click OK to see how far off you were from your target.
- Observe the correct number of RNG advances that will be required to hit your target frame in the DPPt Shiny Egg window. Remember, the number of Coin Flips shown in the DPPt Shiny Egg window assumes that you have already done 10 coin flips to check your initial seed, and that the Happiness Checker double-taps assume you have a full party of six Pokémon with no eggs in your party.
- Advance the RNG by performing the necessary number of coin flips and Happiness Checker double-taps. Remember that you must not have the Happiness Checker showing when you enter the daycare because this will advance the frame.
- Place your parents in daycare, taking note of the order in which you deposit them. The first parent is Parent A, while the second is Parent B. However, the order is only important if you wish to reset for IVs. Refer to Section 3 of this guide for further information on breeding for IVs.
- Run or bicycle near Solaceon town until your egg is ready, then save in front of the daycare man. Collect the egg and hatch it to verify that it has the desired attributes.