Dragalge

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

• Dragalge is a slow offensive Pokemon in the RU metagame.
  • What sets this apart from other similar Pokemon like Goodra is its ability to clear Toxic Spikes from user's side, while being able to set up on the opponent's.
  • Its high special bulk help it stomach supereffective moves like Technician boosted Hidden Power Ice from Roserade and Psychic from unboosted Espeon.
  • Adaptability turns its already good STAB moves in Draco Meteor and Sludge Wave into super powerful nukes.
  • Its middling Defense leaves it very vulnerable to physical attacks, and it gets KOd by supereffective attacks like Earthquake from Choice Band Metagross.
  • Its low Speed does it no favours, with it being outpaced by most of the Pokemon, not allowing it to freely switch in on any of the attacks.
  • Despite all the drawbacks, Dragalge finds itself to be a respectable breaker
[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Sludge Wave
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Focus Blast / Toxic Spikes
item: Choice Specs / Dragonium Z
ability: Adaptability
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 204 SpA / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Draco Meteor is Dragalge's premier STAB, which dents Pokemon which doesn't resist it like Mega Blastoise, Raikou, and Milotic, though this forces Draco Meteor out because of the Special Attack drop.
  • Sludge Wave serves as the secondary STAB, which gets the Grass- and Fairy-type Pokemon, like Celebi, Virizion, Gardevoir, Florges, and Ribombee.
  • Hidden Power Fire gives Dragalge a chance of attacking Steel-type Pokemon like Escavalier, Bronzong, Registeel on the switch in.
  • Focus Blast is useful for giving Dragalge a chance of attacking Steel-type Pokemon like Registeel and Steelix.
  • Toxic Spikes is useful for setting up entry hazard to force out opposing Pokemon and badly poison grounded Pokemon in the process, which is really helpful for late-game sweeping.
Set Details
========

• 252 EVs in HP lets Dragalge stomch as many hits as it can, 52 Speed EVs let it creep past no Speed invested Registeel and Diancie, while 204 SpA EVs along with a Modest nature allows it to return lots of damage to opposing Pokemon.
  • Choice Specs is used to boost Dragalge's decent Special Attack to very high levels, enabling it to deal high levels of damage to most of the meta, while Dragonium Z lets it fire a powerful Devastating Drake, which usually KOs most Pokemon which does not resist Dragon.
  • Adaptability as the ability of choice, allows Dragalge to use high power Draco Meteor and Sludge Wave.

Usage Tips
========

• Dragalge should usually try to set up Toxic Spikes when at full health, or during the start of the game, to ensure maximum impact on opposing Pokemon.
  • If opposing team has hazard removal Pokemon, try to KO those Pokemon before setting Toxic Spikes up, since they can remove the Toxic Spikes u set up.
  • After Toxic Spikes has been set up, it becomes relatively easy to KO Pokemon.
  • If you suspect that foe is gonna bring a tank to force you to switch, use Toxic before switching, since this is slowly but surely wear them down over the course of the match and ensure they don't stay too long on the field.
  • Start spamming STAB moves only after opposing Pokemon have been sufficiently damaged such that the respective STAB moves would KO.

Team Options
========

• Steel-types are the primary bane of Dragalge, so Pokemon that can counter them like Arcanine or Pangoro really go well with Dragalge.
  • They, in turn, appreciate Dragalge's weakening common counters to these Pokemon like Golisopod, Rhyperior and Florges. Pangoro, in particular, also helps in countering some specially defensive tanks like Snorlax and Umbreon, and in turn, lure Fairy-type Pokemon for Dragalge.
  • Late game sweepers like Zygarde-10% and Raikou appreciate Dragalge denting their common Grass-type counters like Shaymin, Virizion and Tsareena.
  • Since Dragalge has no feasible means of recovery, healing Pokemon like Umbreon, Vaporeon or Choice Scarf Healing Wish Gardevoir support Dragalge by restoring HP for Dragalge to dent more into opponent teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Toxic can also be used in the Dragonium Z set to catch specially defensive tanks like Cresselia, Porygon2, and Mantine on the switch, though it usually comes at a cost of having to drop very valuable coverage moves.
  • Haze can be used to stop opposing Snorlax or other setup Pokemon from sweeping, though this has the same problem of having to lose valuable coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Being a formidable force in the metagame, Pokemon like Metagross, Registeel, Bronzong, and Escavalier can easily force Dragalge out, though Escavalier has to scout for HP Fire.

**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Snorlax, Uxie, and Araquanid can stomach any hit Dragalge throws at it, thus leaving Dragalge at a disadvantage at breaking these Pokemon.

• **Faster physical threats**: Zygarde-10%, Tyrantrum, Nidoqueen amongst other similar Pokemon, outspeed and KO Dragalge before Dragalge can land an attack on it

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[, ]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:
I think this is ready for QC. Sorry in advance if I did a bad job; this is sort of my first 6v6 analysis. I look forward to copyediting :)

Felixx

I'm back.
Not QC but i think Checks and Counters should talk about offensive threats that can KO or weaken Dragalge, like ZyDog, Tyrantrum, and Nidoqueen, just to give some examples,

Overview could also use some fixing, as M-Toise doesn't use Dragon Pulse, at least not commonly, and i feel like it could be expanded a bit more, also maybe splash a Roserade mention somewhere bc Dragalge handles the non-Extrasensory variants pretty well which is a big deal

For the set, i think a speed benchmark for no speed Regi, Diancie, and the rare M-Audi could be possible, and it shouldn't take too much from its bulk, only needing 52 Speed EVs.

Last edited:

roman

Banned deucer.
reassigning, at a glance there are just so many concerning issues that qc & gp would basically be writing the analysis

* qc
- completely misses point of overview
- dragon pulse mega blastoise is unviable
- celebi is not ru (big red flag)
- falsely throws around the word "counter"
- usage tips aren't actually tips (ex. After Toxic Spikes has been set up, it becomes relatively easy to KO Pokemon.)

* gp
- confusing / misleading wording (ex. Draco Meteor is Dragalge's premier STAB, which dents Pokemon which doesn't resist it like Mega Blastoise, Raikou, and Milotic, though this forces Draco Meteor out because of the Special Attack drop.)
- misses simple things like oxford commas

if you have questions regarding the reassigning of this analysis feel free to shoot me a discord pm- roman#4216

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)