SV UU DragMag is actually OP in SV UU; here's why (Peak #8/1688 ELO, 81.forgor GXE)

Tree69420

早上好中国、现在我有bing chilling!
is a Tiering Contributor
1705590256615.png

:magnezone::garchomp::latios::jirachi::kommo-o::ogerpon-cornerstone:
clicky link

Intro
Looking into our available mons, I felt like Magnezone was a heavily underrated part of the meta. The biggest issue with it IMO was that it was hard to use it with Latios because it already breaks through steels somewhat fine for itself over a long game. Noticing how much current SV UU resembles BW OU inspired me to try to emulate a style from then: DragMag. There is a clear lack of fairies in the meta, and Air Balloon Magnezone successfully pretty much every Steel type, allowing for maximum goobage.

1705552027243.png
1705552159581.png

I forgot to take a picture of me at my peak but I do have one of me losing it !!
also alt reveal moment

Building Process
I started with :magnezone::latios: as the DragMag core, using the Air Balloon Zone set to trap and eliminate steels such as Meta and Treads, as well as check opposing Garchomp.
I then added :garchomp: as another dragon type who can break for Latios or clean up games.
:jirachi: was a fixture on old DragMag teams so I brought it back, as it serves useful purposes as a rocker, and brings in Treads so it can U-turn into Magnezone to trap them. It can also double into G-Weezing and get good damage off so it no longer roadblocks Chomp.
With threats to its existence like Treads and Metagross gone, :kommo-o: is really good to run wild. I ran the mixed Drain Punch set to better deal with Tyranitar and Blissey because ladder loves those for some reason.
:ogerpon-cornerstone: also hates the existence of steels, so I put it on the team. Without steels necessitating it run Low Kick or Knock off coverage, it can use Play Rough to hit other threats like Kommo-o and deal more damage to Garchomp.
:magnezone::garchomp::latios::jirachi::kommo-o::ogerpon-cornerstone:

The Team

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Thunderbolt
- Body Press
- Magnet Rise
Magnezone traps and eliminates key checks to the rest of the team, including Iron Treads, Metagross, certain Scizor sets, Tinkaton, and Empoleon. Versus Tinkaton, it can freely switch in, and it can easily trap Empoleon by switching in on it rocking, Surfing, or Roosting. It cannot take a hit when switching into Iron Treads or Metagross with Earthquake, but can Magnet Rise freely if safely gotten in and trap these. +4 Body Press OHKOs Iron Treads, and Thunderbolt will 2HKO Metagross after minor chip. I invested 56 Speed EVs as the fastest bulky Scizors only hit up to 169 speed. Max special attacks guarantee maximum damage on Empoleon and Metagross, and the rest went into HP to better take hits, as Magnezone can be a crucial defensive piece too. Tera Fairy allows you to resist Fighting attacks from common revenge killers.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Scale Shot

Scarf Garchomp is great speed control and can bust through more offensive teams. Outrage is a very strong STAB as the choicelock has less downside. Stone Edge hits Flying types for the greatest damage. Scale Shot can allow you to bluff a non-Scarfed set, while breaking sashes, killing Weak Armor pokemon, and outspeeding faster Speed Booster pokemon after a turn. Tera Dragon can increase the damage of Outrage and get key kills, resist Grass and Water coverage, and only be regularly weak to Ice. The speed tier outspeeds all of the base 85s and base 100s at +1 speed.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Luster Purge
- Dragon Pulse
- Trick

Latios is a major wallbreaker on the team. The only mons capable of switching into Latios's dual stab are Steel types (and Tyranitar and Blissey), so you can often double switch Magnezone into these. Draco Meteor and Luster Purge are the primary STABs, Dragon Pulse deals solid damage for lategame scenarios, and Trick can cripple a Pokemon attempting to set up such as Cresselia or Manaphy. I originally went with Tera Dragon, but I rarely ever tera'd and only for removing the Knock and U-turn weaknesses, so I switched it to Tera Steel.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 26 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Icy Wind
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Jirachi offers Stealth Rocks and pivoting to the team, and is often the de-facto lead. Icy Wind 2HKOs the common uninvested Garchomp sets, and the Speed EVs allow Jirachi to outspeed after a speed drop while still being as slow as possible. Flash Cannon does solid STAB damage and notably hits Weezing-Galar strongly. U-turn can allow it to pivot into Magnezone freely on switchins such as Iron Treads, Metagross, and Empoleon, to open up the rest of the team. Tera Fairy is an overall good typing that allows Jirachi to take multiple Greninja Dark Pulses, or stronger Close Combats.

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Boomburst
- Drain Punch

Kommo-o is the primary sweeper of the team. I went with a mixed set with Drain Punch to allow the OHKO on Tyranitar and good Blissey damage, along with allowing it to heal out of the range of common priority. 3 of its moves trigger Throat Spray, and Tera Normal Boomburst nukes through most Pokemon especially at +2. A Naive nature is chosen because Kommo often has to take physical priority, and Lokix and Tyranitar are solid setup targets.

Ogerpon-Cornerstone (F) @ Cornerstone Mask
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Play Rough

Ogerpon-Cornerstone is another Pokemon that really appreciates the removal of Steels. Horn Leech allows you to heal back into Sturdy range or close to it, and Ogerpon's solid natural bulk allows it to live even Super Effective priority hits from high health. Play Rough is chosen over other coverage moves because Magnezone already removes steels who are usually covered with Knock Off or Low Kick, and hits potential problems for the team like Kommo-o and Garchomp for more damage.

Threats:
:moltres-galar: completely farms this team, you will basically have to never lock in to a move it can freely switch in to.
SpDef :mandibuzz: takes hits surprisingly well from Latios, if they seem too comfortable leaving it in consider going Cornerpon instead of Latios.
:araquanid::ribombee: Webs are really annoying for this team as it heavily relies on speed and does not have removal or boots, however Latios is unaffected by webs and Garchomp still has a respectable speed tier.
:pixie plate: Surprise Tera Fairys can really mess up the team. Setup sweepers like Feraligatr and Salamence can OHKO the whole team after 2 Dragon Dances, and cannot be revenge killed, especially if they obtain the boosts on a choicelocked Dragon move.

Replays:
(most of these are goobage rather than great team showcases)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2037755539-mx1c4uhw6u8ppj77dud7hpl3q4gmzwupw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2038410922-b1ei1ezoeaa7cps8ak29mqh5symlvulpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2038705203-erf4u3ss9qxitzwmbhickosd5wpolktpw

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice team. Dragmag is so fun and I've been trying to get dragmag to work in uu to no avail. Just one question. Is magnezone having a serious nature a mistake? You don't explain why and I don't see why it couldn't be modest or maybe timid.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)