Monotype Dragon Mono (Help?)

Dragon is definitely one of my long-standing favorites, and I’ve been trying to create a team centered around one of my absolute favorites for a while - Mega Salamence. (Really, my favorite is a tie between Kyurem-W and Flygon, but Salamence’s stats are just godly.) I think I’ve come up with a pretty good one so far, but as I really haven’t teambuilt before, this is the first one I’ve made without too much help from my friend on Wattpad. If anyone has advice, it’d be much appreciated!

Edit: okay, my friend pointed out some mistakes.
1. Two Pokémon with choice items and DD
2. Dragon Tail + DD
3. Salamence is fricking Uber tier
Working on fixing this!
5113488B-70E3-40A1-B9C4-9685C5B019B4.gif

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 Spe / 44 HP
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Facade
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

First off, we have this good boi. No reason to go for Moxie when it’s going to get its mega ability, and it can pull of an Intimidate before mega-ing. Aerilate-Facade gets that STAB bonus for a base power of 105, and was my choice over Return in case of a status condition. Dragon Dance is a recurring theme throughout this team, and for good reason too, as for its Speed/Attack Boost. Earthquake is to get rid of threatening steel and rock types, especially threats such as Stakataka. Roost is for reliable coverage, as Salamence isn’t the easiest to break down. My only concern is how it would hold up against an ice type with the Flying/Dragon typing.
I took a lot of the EV spreads from Smogon’s recommendations, since EV planning is far from my strong point.

5FDC07A1-4052-495E-9D95-B392CF89FB94.gif

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 22 SpD / 210 SpA / 28 Spe / 248 HP
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- HP Fire

Next up is another one of my favorite dragons and a specially defensive wall, Dragalge. I think the Assault Vest, coupled with its base 123 SpDef, speaks for itself. A wall for Fairy threats like Koko, SpDef combined with Adaptibility Sludge Wave serves as the defender of the team. Though it’s not fast enough to outspeed, well, anything. Modest Nature is to max out that damage.
The EV spread was one of my creations, “adapted” (get it? No? Alright) from Smogon’s recommendations. My friend suggested putting what I previously had for SpDef into HP, the SpAtk is for obvious reasons, 28 speed to give it some sort of boost, and the rest is dumped into SpDef.

05DBF9A5-A514-4852-B28D-B51A7C631C58.gif

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 242 Spe / 14 HP
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Recover
- Defog

Another reccomendation from my friend, Latias has potential to be a very obnoxious staller and a hard hitter. The LO/Recover combo is great for staying alive, and gives Psychic a great power boost. Healing Wish is for late-game desperation, and Defog gets rid of entry hazards. Her Speed, respectable bulk, and Special Attack take hits and deal out damage well. LO boosts the STAB Psychic adds up to a good 175 base power (if I did my math correctly). Not much more to say here.
The EV spread is from smogon reccomentations, I think.

9E76BAD3-A7B8-4505-8059-1EC022C25415.gif

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power
- HP Fire

Holy crap, Kyurem-B’s Attack stat is ridiculous. Fusion Bolt is for the sake of a powerful, physical signature move. Earth Power is to get rid of pesky Ice and Steel types, and HP Fire is there for that too. Freeze Shock + Icium Z is for a maximum power physical Subzero Slammer, with a base of 300 power w/ STAB (Z-Moves get STAB, right??). Kyurem-B is a necessary asset on a Dragon Monotype, as it tears through Ice threats and pretty much everything else.
252 Atk and Speed is to max out its massive attack, and make sure it outspeeds with its otherwise average speed. The rest are dedicated to SpA for a boost to HP and EP.

AB34A48D-E70F-411E-8412-B1531FCE23E0.gif

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Tail
- Outrage

Where do I even start with this dino? Rock Head, STAB Head Smash, Choice Band And a massive attack, this guy tears through everything. Head Smash is an obvious choice as a base 225 power STAB move that’s entirely spammable due to Rock Head, and boosted further with Choice Band. Dragon Dance is to rack up on Attack and Speed, manageable against a more physical threat because of Tyrantrum’s decent Defense (though his SpDef is lacking). Dragon Tail is for a massively powerful 135 STAB that forces a switch, and along with DD speed boosts can kill things even better (:P). Finally Outrage is a massively powerful but less reliable 180 STAB dragon attack. (I’m not counting Choice Band for most of these when calculating Base Power.)
The EV spread is to take full advantage of Tyrantrum’s Attack, and Speed is so it can outspeed things more quickly. 4 HP is for a little more reliability in hit taking.

A298CA7C-8E41-4122-8261-0D6882377957.gif

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Dragon Dance
- Focus Blast
- Poison Jab

Oof I’m getting tired of typing. So this is, once again, a team reccomendation from my friend. Kommo-o’s above-average SpAtk is boosted by a Modest Nature, Choice Specs And 252 SpAtk EVs. Bulletproof seems more useful than Soundproof, and Clanging Scales is better than Draco Meteor. DD is, once again, to rack up on that Speed and Attack. Poison Jab is for coverage, and Focus Blast is to tear through bulky Steel and slow Ice types, though the 70% accuracy is concerning.
The EVs are again taken from Kommo-o’s Smogon page iirc, to boost SpA further and outspeed threats. The rest are HP for the same reason as Tyrantrum.

So what do you guys think? This is the most independent team build I’ve ever done, and really the only team I’ve built. Any critique you have, please, fire away - it’s probably much needed, haha.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Smogon! I'm glad you're taking interest in the Monotype metagame. I'll try and help you the best I can.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of issues regarding the viability of most of your sets and the general viability of the team. First off, Mega Salamence is banned, so you'll have to use another Mega. Secondly, Kyurem lacking Ice Beam is questionable at best, since it can no longer threaten Flying and Ground teams (namely) once Sub Zero Slammer is used. Thirdly, your two last mons have choice items, but also carry Dragon Dance, so once you're setting up Dragon Dances, you'll be locked into that move and not be able to do anything else but switch out. Finally, you don't have Stealth Rock, which is crucial to have for about any serious Monotype team.

Since you said Dragalge is one of your favorite Dragons, I'll keep it in the final product of the team and take that into consideration while rating your team. My first suggestion, to remedy the banned Pokémon and absence of Stealth Rock problems, would be to replace M-Salamence with Garchomp. More specifically, a physically bulky Garchomp with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin to punish physical attackers that try to take it down, and to complement Dragalge's special bulk, thus forming a nice balance core between the two of them. Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Dragon Tail and Fire Blast are the moves you should use on it. As for the EVs,a spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe with an Impish nature will let it outspeed base 70 Speeds maximum investment and a positive nature and under like Bisharp and Adamant Diggersby, all of this while being as physically bulky as possible.

At this point, I'd like to suggest a few minor changes to Dragalge's set. The main reason why Dragalge should be used on Dragon teams is because of its access to Toxic Spikes, which greatly deters Normal teams and other balance builds. With an Assault Vest, you obviously can't use Toxic Spikes. Therefore, you'd be better off using Black Sludge instead of Assault Vest, and Toxic Spikes over Scald. Also, Dragon Pulse doesn't deal enough damage, so you should replace Dragon Pulse with Draco Meteor, as despite Draco Meteor's Special attack drop, two Dragon Pulses are still weaker than two Draco Meteors. Aditionally, a slightly different spread of 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe to outspeed Hippowdon and be as strong and generally bulky as possible would benefit you more.

I also realized that your team lacked speed control. Therefore, I have two options for you: either keep Latias, give it a Choice Scarf and replace Recover with Draco Meteor or use Latios instead of Latias, give it a Choice Scarf and use Draco Meteor, Psychic, Defog and Hidden Power Steel (to deal with M-Diancie). Having a form of speed control in your team will let you threaten opposing setup sweepers and slower Choice Scarf users like Mega Charizard X and Blacephalon, respectively. In all cases, use a spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

Like I said previously, Kyurem-B's set is somehow lacking Ice Beam. You should replace Kyurem-B's Icium Z with Life Orb, Freeze Shock with Ice Beam and, if you want, giving it Roost over HP Fire to give it as much firepower as possible (with your current set, Kyurem-B fails to 2HKO Toxapex... ). Now that Kyurem-B has Ice Beam, the Atk and SpAtk EVs should be swapped around.

As a physical wallbreaker and Choice Band user, Tyrantrum is simply outclassed by Dragonite. As a result, Tyrantrum should be replaced with Dragonite, using a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, with the moves Outrage, Extreme Speed, Superpower and Fire Punch. Dragonite's access to priority and Multiscale, in addition of Superpower threatening Normal and Steel teams (and Fire Punch against the latter) is what that make it stand out as a wallbreaker for Dragon teams.

Finally, there's still no Mega nor any sweeper in your team. So since you can't use M-Salamence and that I've replaced it with another Pokémon, I suggest you to replace Kommo-o with M-Altaria. Use a max HP + max Speed spread with a Jolly nature. As for the moves, use Dragon Dance, Frustration, Roost and Refresh (Frustration over Return because most Ditto users don't care of changing its happiness value, meaning Ditto can't counter-sweep your team when it copies your boosted M-Altaria). Once opposing Steel-types are gone, M-Altaria can sweep the enemy pretty easily.

TL;DR

Garchomp > M-Salamence
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
New Dragalge set > AV Dragalge
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes
Scarf Latios or Latias > LO Latias
Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Steel]

or

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish
LO Kyurem-B > Icium Z Kyurem-B
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost / Hidden Power [Fire]
Dragonite > Tyrantrum
Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
M-Altaria > Kommo-o
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Refresh

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Refresh
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Refresh

I know this looks like a ton of changes, but don't let this discourage you from playing this awesome metagame. You can find some useful Monotype ressources here (viability rankings), here (sample teams) and here (beginner's guide to Monotype) that surely will help you improve yourself in terms of teambuilding and playmaking.

I hope this helps you! Have a good day! Ü

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Smogon! I'm glad you're taking interest in the Monotype metagame. I'll try and help you the best I can.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of issues regarding the viability of most of your sets and the general viability of the team. First off, Mega Salamence is banned, so you'll have to use another Mega. Secondly, Kyurem lacking Ice Beam is questionable at best, since it can no longer threaten Flying and Ground teams (namely) once Sub Zero Slammer is used. Thirdly, your two last mons have choice items, but also carry Dragon Dance, so once you're setting up Dragon Dances, you'll be locked into that move and not be able to do anything else but switch out. Finally, you don't have Stealth Rock, which is crucial to have for about any serious Monotype team.

Since you said Dragalge is one of your favorite Dragons, I'll keep it in the final product of the team and take that into consideration while rating your team. My first suggestion, to remedy the banned Pokémon and absence of Stealth Rock problems, would be to replace M-Salamence with Garchomp. More specifically, a physically bulky Garchomp with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin to punish physical attackers that try to take it down, and to complement Dragalge's special bulk, thus forming a nice balance core between the two of them. Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Dragon Tail and Fire Blast are the moves you should use on it. As for the EVs,a spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe with an Impish nature will let it outspeed base 70 Speeds maximum investment and a positive nature and under like Bisharp and Adamant Diggersby, all of this while being as physically bulky as possible.

At this point, I'd like to suggest a few minor changes to Dragalge's set. The main reason why Dragalge should be used on Dragon teams is because of its access to Toxic Spikes, which greatly deters Normal teams and other balance builds. With an Assault Vest, you obviously can't use Toxic Spikes. Therefore, you'd be better off using Black Sludge instead of Assault Vest, and Toxic Spikes over Scald. Also, Dragon Pulse doesn't deal enough damage, so you should replace Dragon Pulse with Draco Meteor, as despite Draco Meteor's Special attack drop, two Dragon Pulses are still weaker than two Draco Meteors. Aditionally, a slightly different spread of 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe to outspeed Hippowdon and be as strong and generally bulky as possible would benefit you more.

I also realized that your team lacked speed control. Therefore, I have two options for you: either keep Latias, give it a Choice Scarf and replace Recover with Draco Meteor or use Latios instead of Latias, give it a Choice Scarf and use Draco Meteor, Psychic, Defog and Hidden Power Steel (to deal with M-Diancie). Having a form of speed control in your team will let you threaten opposing setup sweepers and slower Choice Scarf users like Mega Charizard X and Blacephalon, respectively. In all cases, use a spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

Like I said previously, Kyurem-B's set is somehow lacking Ice Beam. You should replace Kyurem-B's Icium Z with Life Orb, Freeze Shock with Ice Beam and, if you want, giving it Roost over HP Fire to give it as much firepower as possible (with your current set, Kyurem-B fails to 2HKO Toxapex... ). Now that Kyurem-B has Ice Beam, the Atk and SpAtk EVs should be swapped around.

As a physical wallbreaker and Choice Band user, Tyrantrum is simply outclassed by Dragonite. As a result, Tyrantrum should be replaced with Dragonite, using a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, with the moves Outrage, Extreme Speed, Superpower and Fire Punch. Dragonite's access to priority and Multiscale, in addition of Superpower threatening Normal and Steel teams (and Fire Punch against the latter) is what that make it stand out as a wallbreaker for Dragon teams.

Finally, there's still no Mega nor any sweeper in your team. So since you can't use M-Salamence and that I've replaced it with another Pokémon, I suggest you to replace Kommo-o with M-Altaria. Use a max HP + max Speed spread with a Jolly nature. As for the moves, use Dragon Dance, Frustration, Roost and Refresh (Frustration over Return because most Ditto users don't care of changing its happiness value, meaning Ditto can't counter-sweep your team when it copies your boosted M-Altaria). Once opposing Steel-types are gone, M-Altaria can sweep the enemy pretty easily.

TL;DR

Garchomp > M-Salamence
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
New Dragalge set > AV Dragalge
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes
Scarf Latios or Latias > LO Latias
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Steel]

or

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish
LO Kyurem-B > Icium Z Kyurem-B
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
Dragonite > Tyrantrum
Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
M-Altaria > Kommo-o
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Refresh

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Refresh
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Refresh

I know this looks like a ton of changes, but don't let this discourage you from playing this awesome metagame. You can find some useful Monotype ressources here (viability rankings), here (sample teams) and here (beginner's guide to Monotype) that surely will help you improve yourself in terms of teambuilding and playmaking.

I hope this helps you! Have a good day! Ü
Thank you so much for this! Sorry I didn’t respond when this first came up, I’m used to only functioning off Wattpad, and getting into a new platform is difficult, especially without notifications. This is incredibly helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)