Dragonite curse + extremespeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was this never a thing in competitive play? Now, i know dragonite was neither OU or UU, so it probably didnt see much play, but sometimes you see unorthodox pokemon putting in work in tiers they dont belong in, which leads me to this set.

Dragonite have a fantastic attack stat, extremespeed has acceptable power, so an extremespeed coming from dragonite should hurt most things for a decent shunk.
Curse+extremespeed sounds like a combo that complement each other very well, does it not?

As for things that doesnt care about normal attacks, dragonite diverse movepool should help.
Of course, there are still things that will wall it, so you cant just set up and sweep like that, i know, but on paper it sounds good, no?

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
To me this set main issue would be that extreme speed has only 8 PPs so you can’t really afford attacking until you have set up enough, letting you vulnerable to phazing or to dragonite common ice weakness.
I know some people will probably try to compare this to curse machamp but the main difference is that at +1 no phazer (excepted ghost psong users that still take a huge shrunk on rock slide) is guaranteed to live a cross chop with it’s high crit ratio and also machamp’s weakness are way less common coverage.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Back before people really knew what they were doing (and there was a higher proportion of folks who were like 12 years old lol), Curse + ExtremeSpeed was a common newbie strategy. Usually on Arcanine, actually.

The main issue is 80 base power with no STAB. You need to reach +1 before you're doing bona fide "good" damage with ExtremeSpeed. So Dnite is usually better off just firing off Double-Edges to do damage rather than making itself dependent on setup.

That said, Curse + ExtremeSpeed maybe, maybe is a way to give Dnite a chance against Electrics, which naturally outspeed & 2HKO Dnite but have exploitable Defense stats. Something like Double-Edge/Ice Beam/Curse/ExtremeSpeed. Weaken them with your other moves, then pull Espeed out of your hat when they're fixing to Rest or finish you off. You're probably better off just playing hit & run against them, however, instead opting to run Dpunch + Thunder for coverage (notice how the set with Espeed can't get past Skarm? yeah...)

Always remember, Scizor in higher gens with technician+bullet punch+curse is better than Dragonite doing that, I think also that it can work in second gen, but not as powerful.
That maybe can work, but in low ladder and not in high ladder.
EDIT: even in low ladder, this could not work.
ANOTHER EDIT:bullet punch existed in the fourth gen, sry

Last edited:

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Speaking of Dragonite Extremespeed, why wasnt it there in gen 3?
It was a Crystal exclusive ingame event. And you can't trade from gen 2 -> gen3, therefore you can't obtain it. HGSS fixed this on the remakes, the same event is there. That is why it is available past gen4.

Back before people really knew what they were doing (and there was a higher proportion of folks who were like 12 years old lol), Curse + ExtremeSpeed was a common newbie strategy. Usually on Arcanine, actually.

The main issue is 80 base power with no STAB. You need to reach +1 before you're doing bona fide "good" damage with ExtremeSpeed. So Dnite is usually better off just firing off Double-Edges to do damage rather than making itself dependent on setup.

That said, Curse + ExtremeSpeed maybe, maybe is a way to give Dnite a chance against Electrics, which naturally outspeed & 2HKO Dnite but have exploitable Defense stats. Something like Double-Edge/Ice Beam/Curse/ExtremeSpeed. Weaken them with your other moves, then pull Espeed out of your hat when they're fixing to Rest or finish you off. You're probably better off just playing hit & run against them, however, instead opting to run Dpunch + Thunder for coverage (notice how the set with Espeed can't get past Skarm? yeah...)
Electric types 2hko Dnite? Certainly not with electric attacks? You are refering to HP ice on electrics, im guessing.
Dnite is bulky, even Zapdos cant 2hko after leftovers with thunder, im pretty sure.

One of Raikou and Zapdos (on rare occasion both) are on nearly every GSC team, and probably 70-80% run HP Ice (number pulled out of my rear, but probably not that inaccurate). Most teams have really good answers to it without even thinking about dnite while they're being built. There's also issues like Nidoking, Jynx, and Gengar who all run ice moves almost no matter what, and a few other mons like Suicune and Cloyster that occasionally run ice moves. Not that it's impossible to make curse espeed work, but that would be the reason nobody is really using it.

Not that these things can't be built around, but at that point it feels like you're working around way too many things. There are a lot of ice weak pokes in the current meta, all of which are a lot more appealing than espeed dnite.

Dragonite has other sets that work in OU though, Thunder Wave+3 attacks is great at paralyzing threatening mons that would otherwise switch into it like Raikou, Zapdos, Gengar, Jynx, etc. There's also the goofy Reflect Haze RestTalk set for dedicated stall teams with Drumlax/Marowak, but that's a bit more niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)