SM OU Dragon's Rage

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
I am pretty awful at team building and I'm awaiting a tutor to hopefully learn more about it. I decided to get some real-time help with it so here's a team I made up without any real team building skill. The offensive core was intended to be Latias and Dragonite (Hence the name) and the other Pokemon are to support. Please try to help me improve it. Please note that this team was intended for the USUM Battle Spot, and it's for fun.

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 122 DEF / 186 SP. ATK / 100 SP. DEF / 100 SPD
IVs: 0 ATK
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Again, I have no team building prowess, but I wanted to get a bulky-offensive Pokemon to deal some damage. I chose the monstrosity of the EVs to attempt to balance the attacking skill of this monster while still being able to take several hits. Recover is thrown in to further boost this Pokemon's longevity. Thunderbolt is chosen over Draco Meteor because it won't undo some of the SP. ATK boost from Calm Mind and bring Stored Power down 40 base damage per use. It also lets it hit Celesteela and provides some nice neutral coverage for it.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 ATK / 4 SP. DEF / 252 SPD
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

I felt that this team needed some nice Stealth Rocks on the opponent's side. It can break a Focus Sash so Latias won't have to worry about them. It also can remove entry hazards so my team won't be chipped. I do feel that this Pokemon will be pressured a bit too much for my liking, so I put a Focus Sash in so it can get Stealth Rock in almost every time. If it's faster, it can even drop a Toxic on the opponent if they attempt to aggressively start sweeping. I just love the suggested setup for this Pokemon so I'm gonna throw it in.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SP. ATK / 252 SP. DEF
IVs: 0 ATK
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam

Dragonite, being a Dragon/Flying type, has a 4x weakness to Ice-type moves. And since Ice is a special attacking type, what better switch-in than the all-defensive Assault Vest Magearna? I put the EVs like that so it can act as a special wall and retaliate with some dangerous attacking moves. I knew that Ice is a threat to my offense so I put in Flash Cannon, and I can either switch after that or use Ice Beam or Fleur Cannon to deal some damage. This Pokemon really just tends to the likes of Gengar, Latios-M, and other special attackers, as well as supporting Dragonite and Latias by preventing Ice types from crippling them or hitting them with a Toxic.

Dragonite @ Flynium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 ATK / 4 SP. DEF / 252 SPD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake

Dragonite, in my opinion, would be an Uber Pokemon if it didn't have a 4x weakness to Ice. Even with Multiscale, Ice can cripple the poor thing. Same with a Toxic poison. So, I put in the Smogon suggested setup and ran Magearna so I can bait these moves and switch, and hopefully KO the attackers. I'm going to use this as bait to get dangerous opponents out on the playing field, and hopefully have Magearna KO them, or Rotom drop a status move. But with major Toxic and Ice Beam users out of the way, I simply use Dragon Dance as I switch it in and go on sweeping.

Rotom-W @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SPD / 200 DEF
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Hydro Pump

Since Excadrill isn't exactly reliable when it comes to removing Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes, I figured I might as well throw in Rotom. Defog is an emergency removal of entry hazards, and it's berry lets it do it more then once. Toxic is to deal damage to things that unfortunately resist Hydro Pump, and Will-O-Wisp is to do the same, as well as halving ATK, very useful. I can already see the backlash about having two major status moves on the same Pokemon, but Toxic is for special attackers and walls, while Will-O-Wisp could possibly keep some physical attackers at bay. It worked for me, and I don't want to run Volt Switch because it's slow and can give the opponent a free switch-in to a Pokemon that resists it or a Ground-type.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SP. ATK / 4 SP. DEF / 252 SPD
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

This team needed a revenge killer, so I brought in Pepe Greninja himself. It's blistering SPD lets it go first nine times out of ten, and the Choice Specs let it deal some real damage, too. The issue is actually initiating the transfer from Greninja to Ash-Greninja, so what I did here was I threw in Ice Beam along with it's STAB moves so it can wreck some Dragon-types and maybe rescue Dragonite and Latias from a Dragon Pulse/Claw. I honestly feel the team would be relying on this guy a lot, so that makes Excadrill even more important in the Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, along with Rotom to remove more hazards and burn premier threats.

So there we go! That's my team, and again, I have little to no skill in team building, and relied a lot on Smogon setups. I really need some feedback, so please return some. Thanks for taking time to do this, too!

Last edited:
This is a cool idea for a team, but it needs some changes.

1- Change Thunderbolt to Hidden Power Fire on Mega Latias. This helps deal with the plethora of steels that resist Stored Power, unlike Thunderbolt, whose main target Toxapex, is hit harder by Stored Power. Also, I would change the Evs to a standard 4 Hp, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, because it doesn't seem like you were aiming to make sure certain pokemon couldn't OHKO or 2HKO you, so having max Speed and Special Attack is usually better unless there is a pokemon that your Evs can wall.

2. Change Excadrill to Ferrothorn. Suicide Leads are typically only used in Hyper Offense where the pokemon can just naturally pressure Defoggers so that they can't click Defog. However, in your balance, a lot of pokemon can find opportunities to use Defog, so I recommend Ferrothorn who fits better with the style of the team. Not only is it's Fire weakness covered, but Dragonite and Mega Latias can swap in on fighting coverage. It also can swap in on physical ice coverage and force out the attacker.

3. Change Magearna to Magnezone. Magearna is a great pokemon who can pivot into special attackers, but with Ferrothorn and Rotom Wash, that isn't really as appreciated any more. Both Dragonite and Mega Latias are walled steels like Celesteela, so having a dedicated answer to them is always appreciated as DragMag cores are pretty effective when used right. I'd recommend Choice Scarf to revenge Kartana, but Choice Specs and Assault Vest can have their uses on this team. Plus, Dragonite and Mega Latias can swap in on incoming Earthquakes,

4. Try changing Iapapa to Leftovers on Rotom Wash. Leftovers has more utility in that it heals across the game, while Iapapa only comes in certain circumstances, and isn't always guaranteed to activate. Since Rotom Wash doesn't have any other forms of recovery, having Leftovers is pretty important. You also should change Toxic to Volt-switch, as having slow Volt Switches allows you to pivot into your attackers to threaten the opponent, and luring in ground types to get hit by Hydro Pump is always a plus

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
This is a cool idea for a team, but it needs some changes.

1- Change Thunderbolt to Hidden Power Fire on Mega Latias. This helps deal with the plethora of steels that resist Stored Power, unlike Thunderbolt, whose main target Toxapex, is hit harder by Stored Power. Also, I would change the Evs to a standard 4 Hp, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, because it doesn't seem like you were aiming to make sure certain pokemon couldn't OHKO or 2HKO you, so having max Speed and Special Attack is usually better unless there is a pokemon that your Evs can wall.

2. Change Excadrill to Ferrothorn. Suicide Leads are typically only used in Hyper Offense where the pokemon can just naturally pressure Defoggers so that they can't click Defog. However, in your balance, a lot of pokemon can find opportunities to use Defog, so I recommend Ferrothorn who fits better with the style of the team. Not only is it's Fire weakness covered, but Dragonite and Mega Latias can swap in on fighting coverage. It also can swap in on physical ice coverage and force out the attacker.

3. Change Magearna to Magnezone. Magearna is a great pokemon who can pivot into special attackers, but with Ferrothorn and Rotom Wash, that isn't really as appreciated any more. Both Dragonite and Mega Latias are walled steels like Celesteela, so having a dedicated answer to them is always appreciated as DragMag cores are pretty effective when used right. I'd recommend Choice Scarf to revenge Kartana, but Choice Specs and Assault Vest can have their uses on this team. Plus, Dragonite and Mega Latias can swap in on incoming Earthquakes,

4. Try changing Iapapa to Leftovers on Rotom Wash. Leftovers has more utility in that it heals across the game, while Iapapa only comes in certain circumstances, and isn't always guaranteed to activate. Since Rotom Wash doesn't have any other forms of recovery, having Leftovers is pretty important. You also should change Toxic to Volt-switch, as having slow Volt Switches allows you to pivot into your attackers to threaten the opponent, and luring in ground types to get hit by Hydro Pump is always a plus
Awesome, thanks. I don't like Magnezone too much but I guess it's what it needs to win. TBH I expected a lot more requested changes than this, and this is a really detailed review. Thanks a lot for this. I'll definitely do these changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)