Drapion

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Pokemon competitively, not whether it will or will not be banned. Keep that in mind.

Ability: Battle Armour, Sniper or Keen Eye(dream world)
Base Stats:
HP:70
Attack:90
Defense:110
Sp.Atk:60
Sp.Def:75
Speed:95
Total:500

Overview, when DP first came out: people hyped this thing to be an OU pokemon.
sadly, it is not and sits in UU waiting for some redemption, Again: drapion has not changed much since 4th gen.

There are a lot of very cool things it can do. Let's go down the line of things I immediately notice when looking at him:

• decent attack, speed and good Defence which give it a balance of bulkiness, speed and power
  • with agility AND swords dance increasing its sweeping capabilities depending whether you want +2 Atk or +2 Speed
  • with 70 HP, 110 Defence and 75 SpDef: it give it good bulk if you invest in HP and SpDef
  • has access to toxic spikes to set up as a lead but other pokemon are better at this though

Overall, I see drapion doing well in UU for this reason as it can be a good pokemon offensively
Thunder Fang, Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Bite, Poison Sting, Leer, Knock Off, Pin Missile, Acupressure, Scary Face, Toxic Spikes, Bug Bite, Poison Fang, Claw Sharpen, Venom Shock, Crunch, Cross Poison

TM01 Claw Sharpen
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venom Shock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Canon
TM54 False Swipe
TM56 Fling
TM66 Payback
TM67 Retaliation
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM75 Swords Dance
TM76 Insect Opposition
TM78 Smooth Over
TM80 Rock Slide
TM81 X-Scissor
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash
TM95 Bark Out
HM01 Cut
HM04 Strength

Agility
Confuse Ray
Faint Attack
Night Slash
Pursuit
Sand-Attack
Screech
Slash
Whirlwind

Drapion @ leftovers/Balloon
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef
Nature: Impish
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Earthquake
~ Cross Poison / Crunch
~ Taunt

a bulky lead to stop pokemon from stat boosting and using other non-attacking moves by using taunt.

Toxic spikes on the first turn is highly reccomended and if you can, setting up 2 layers of toxic spikes: maybe all 3 layers if possible.

Earthquake and Cross poison is for coverage to hit other pokemon that

Drapion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
~ Swords Dance/Agility
~ Earthquake
~ Cross Poison / Crunch
~ Ice Fang / Aqua Tail / Pursuit

use the stat boost move of your choice and prepare to sweep though unprepared teams

earthquake is for coverage, cross poison is for STAB.

the last move depends on what your team needs: Ice fang is to hit dragons, aqua tail is also for coverage and pursuit is STAB and can hit fleeing psychic or ghost pokemon

Drapion @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
~ Aqua Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Cross Poison
~ Crunch / Pursuit

Very similar to the set up sweeper except it has less Power/Speed but does not need a turn to set up.

the same moves as before with the same EV's as before so if you want another description: read the set above

Drapion @ Leftovers (or shed shell)
Ability: Battle Armour
Nature: Careful
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Whirlwind
~ Cross Poison / Taunt / Rock Slide
~ Crunch

similar to the Toxic Spike Lead except this set is focused on phazing stat boosters with whirlwind and with Toxic spikes poisoning pokemon that switch in. you can potentially poison more then half of the opponent's team

Drapion @ Leftovers
~ Substitute
~ Torment
~ Ice Fang / Cross Poison / Pursuit
~ Crunch

similar to TormenTran except it does not hit as hard, the 2 attacks are your choice depending on what you need

with it's resistances, drapion can prove to be bulky on both sides

Drapion @ Leftovers
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Ice Fang / Fire Fang
~ Crunch / Night Slash

this is the one set I DO NOT recommend cross poison of earthquake, that's is because pokemon can resist those attacks

and since you can not choose which of the 2 attacks you use when using, pokemon like skarmory can switch in and set up entry hazards, try to KO you or whirlwind you away

Ice fang and fire fang can flinch and cause status which is good while crunch and night slash are for STAB and it is preference on your choice

how will drapion fare in the new, different metagame of hard hitting attackers.

will drapion stay in it's current tier?, Will drapion move to BL or NU?

only time will tell

Discuss...

I think its main and best use will be for jumpman in the battle subway specially since it can apressure from behind a sub now

Don't see why you have cross poison on ever single set... Its kind of a useless move compared to crunch... or if you wanna abuse sniper, night slash... Also, why a sash on the lead? If your running max HP and SpD, not a whole lot is gonna be ohkoing it... Id run leftovers, or better yet balloon.

Overall, drap got jack shit this gen. A useless ability, a pointless stat up move, and thats it really. He'll still be decent if a UU tier or NU tier ever come out... his typing is decent and he can run an ok Swords dance set (his attack is way to low to run agility imo), but he won't make standard probably.

I'd love to see a a dual Agility + Swords Dance set with Crunch and a filler move. It could be like a slightly weaker, yet bulkier Kingler.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sad about Drapion. He's the tank of my Poison-team. Am I wrong or he got only Agility of good moves this gen? Even Unown got more than him... At least Acupressure now works behind a sub.

Drapion has only one weakness, but that one weakness really sucks badly. Earthquake is (at least was) by far the most common attacking move in the game. His physical bulk can compensate for it, but it really hinder's his defensive capabilities. So you should go sweeping with it. Problem is, in Standard, Drapion has an extreme troll base speed; Outsped by several pokemon such as Sazandora, Onokonosu, Garchomp, Base 100s, etc. which cannot be remedied apart from Agility, so I would think Agility would be the best set. If Drapion would still be relegated to a lower tier, it's speed is actually not too shabby, and can sweep with Swords Dance effectively. However, Dugtrio can easily revenge kill him in this case. But that's still a minor issue. If somehow Drapion lands in a metagame where Earthquake isn't so commonly used due to the lack of good users/overload of flying and levitators, it will be even more effective.

looks like another generation of UU for Drapion. Damn if only his stats were better placed :(

110 def but a weakness to EQ, while resistances to ghost/psychic/dark but 75 spdef -_-

try to sweep and he's too slow and weak, damn

poor drapion

drapion really needed dragon dance or shell break.

drapion's body is made of shells and scales so shell break could work could work

with it's long body, dragon dance could work

Don't see why you have cross poison on every single set.
lets see:
STAB
high chance of a critical hit
decent power
10% chance to poison the foe

it is one of drapion's most useful moves but I have added in other option's like rock slide, taunt and Ice fang

Also added SubTorment Drapion

lets see:
STAB
high chance of a critical hit
decent power
10% chance to poison the foe

it is one of drapion's most useful moves but I have added in other option's like rock slide, taunt and Ice fang
yeah, but his point still remains, also poison moves have arguably worst coverage than darker moves and is a invitation to steel pokes, since they are immune to it, something that does not occur with dark.
On the other hand something like night slash:
STAB
high chance of critical hit
decent power
nothing is immune to it.
the problem then becomes heart of justice pokes. But with his good physical bulk and neutrality to fighting it might even take a hit...

We are going to need his services even more this gen. With Espeon and Alakazam getting godly new abilities, we are going to need his STAB Pursuit. Also, as a Spiker, Pendoraa will completely outclass him. Drapion is still a fantastic pokemon. He has very good bulk, decent Attack, and he makes a fantastic revenge killer. Also, his type coverage is delicious.

i like Drapion i think it should have got Encourage instead of keen eye. maybe super luck since all his abilities relate to critical hits

Toxic spikes has two layers... what don't you get?

And Pendoraa doesn't even pack taunt. What a waste of high speed. Forry does better than both.

I love using this in 5th gen PO.

Drapion @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Crunch
- Rest

EV's can be moved around a bit and maybe a nature change?
But it can sure stay in to get both Toxic Spikes layers in as
well as Rest it off, wake up with Chesto and Whirlwind.

Crunch can be changed for Venom Shock too.

I love using this in 5th gen PO.

Drapion @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Crunch
- Rest

EV's can be moved around a bit and maybe a nature change?
But it can sure stay in to get both Toxic Spikes layers in as
well as Rest it off, wake up with Chesto and Whirlwind.

Crunch can be changed for Venom Shock too.
I think Crunch shouldn't be slashed for Venom Shock because Venom Shock is a Special move and Drapion doesn't do Special moves well. If you already have a pHazer or a Toxic Spiker, Sleep Talk can go over either Toxic Spikes or Whirlwind.

I think Crunch shouldn't be slashed for Venom Shock because Venom Shock is a Special move and Drapion doesn't do Special moves well. If you already have a pHazer or a Toxic Spiker, Sleep Talk can go over either Toxic Spikes or Whirlwind.
Thinking that because Venom Shock doubles when they are poisoned.
Wonder if Crunch is still stronger if I go Calm & Venom Shock doubles?

Also if I were to go Sleep Talk > Toxic Spikes, would I need more Atk?
And Sleep Talk > Whirlwind who would be a good pHazer?

At least Acupressure now works behind a sub.
This^ Should be up in that first post.

Also, as a Spiker, Pendoraa will completely outclass him.
I fail to see why it's better. Other than it's faster. Really poor defences.

Thinking that because Venom Shock doubles when they are poisoned.
Wonder if Crunch is still stronger if I go Calm & Venom Shock doubles?

Also if I were to go Sleep Talk > Toxic Spikes, would I need more Atk?
And Sleep Talk > Whirlwind who would be a good pHazer?
Drapion's Special Attack is 60, making Venom Shock inflict pitiful damage, even when the opponent is statused. Crunch is still the better move.

I've tried a defensive Drapion on a stall team as an answer to Rank. While it worked really well as a Rankurusu counter, I found it suffers from the same problems as it did last gen - everything just hits too hard. Good utility Pokemon being able to phase; set up and absorb Toxic Spikes and beating most pure psychic types (Azelf; Alakazam; Rank).

Haven't tried it offensively, as there's just generally better options elsewhere.

This guy is a wonderful Bulky Baton Pass recepient. Taunt stops Status Phazing, Battle Armour prevents the unfortunate crit, its typing prevents Poison, it can phaze itself and its happy to sit there and spam Acupressure until it has enough Speed, Attack or even Evasion boosts to then rip through a team. Just a shame its has not the bulk or moves to do it all by itself, then it would be a pain to deal with.

I have seen more of these about, what with Ranculus and all that.

Drapion's Special Attack is 60, making Venom Shock inflict pitiful damage, even when the opponent is statused. Crunch is still the better move.
Damage Clalc'd it on a Lickilicky for neutral damage typing
and Lickilicky has neutral defenses. No Evs/Ivs/Nature/Item

species=Drapion
ability=Battle Armor
moveBP=130
moveType=Poison
moveDamageType=Special
---
species=Lickilicky
ability=Oblivious

Drapion (130bp Poison Special)
vs. Lickilicky : 26.9% - 31.9%
----------------------------------------------------

species=Drapion
ability=Battle Armor
moveName=Crunch
moveType=Dark
moveDamageType=80
---
species=Lickilicky
ability=Oblivious

Drapion Crunch
vs. Lickilicky : 23.3% - 27.4%

All in all Venom Shock doubled is stronger
even if Drapions Spatk is weaker.
(tell me if I missed something)
But either way you're right Crunch covers more
and a lot of PKMN are immune to Poison.

Damage Clalc'd it on a Lickilicky for neutral damage typing
and Lickilicky has neutral defenses. No Evs/Ivs/Nature/Item

species=Drapion
ability=Battle Armor
moveBP=130
moveType=Poison
moveDamageType=Special
---
species=Lickilicky
ability=Oblivious

Drapion (130bp Poison Special)
vs. Lickilicky : 26.9% - 31.9%
----------------------------------------------------

species=Drapion
ability=Battle Armor
moveName=Crunch
moveType=Dark
moveDamageType=80
---
species=Lickilicky
ability=Oblivious

Drapion Crunch
vs. Lickilicky : 23.3% - 27.4%

All in all Venom Shock doubled is stronger
even if Drapions Spatk is weaker.
(tell me if I missed something)
But either way you're right Crunch covers more
and a lot of PKMN are immune to Poison.
You forgot to take STAB into account in those calcs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)