SM OU Dreaming

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Introduction

Hey guys, Empo's here, and today I'm bringing you a team made in collaboration with my good friend Blightbringer, which has recently turned out pretty good! We basically decided to build for some tournaments such as OST, but then we decided to RMT this squad. We found that Volcarona was a good idea to build around because its movepool and typing lets it hit a lot of stuff. Let's go into the building phase now.

Building Phase

Well, we started building around Volcarona, and we ended up building a sand-based team with Excadrill and stuff. First off, we added choice band tyranitar as the main wallbreaker, it hits hard a lot of mons, and also pursuitraps lati@s and other threatening psychic mons. Excadrill takes advantages from the sand, which is very good, bringing its speed to 604 (the jolly one), so it can outspeed threats like scarf pheromosa (adamant). In addition to this, drill is also here because it's a fairy check. We decided to add rotom; it brings momentum so it can be helpful for its mates, it's a good water resist anda nice ground resist as well, which is very helpful since grounds are painful for sand archetypes. Greninja is basically there because we needed a second strong wallbreaker: it hits hard pretty much everything and it can bring momentum due to u-turn, so we got a volturn there, rotom and ninja. Finally, we decided to add Clefable. This is our stealth rocker, dark resist, and also thanks to its defense combined to its bulkyness, it can be very helpful since it can switch onto garchomp, lando, and other physical attackers threats. Basically it's the gayest between all mons kekkers.

The Team

Volcarona @ Firium Z / Flynium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hurricane

Volcarona is a solid wincon. I've always liked Volcarona, its special attack and movepool lets it attack a large amount of mons. Quiver Dance is the primary reason to use Volcarona, boosting Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. HP Ground is basically for heatran, Fire Blast is the stab, also powered by Firium Z, and Giga Drain is there for soem fat water types. It's Bug Buzz less, but if you play carefully you should get rid of lati@s with Tyranitar, so then you can have fun with this monster. You can run hurricane since we're weak to chary a ton, so Z-Fly Move will hit chary harder.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

One of the strongest wallbreakers, it's basically awesome. Stone Edge and Crunch are the stabs, not much to say, they just hit hard like everything. Pursuit is powerful, being capable of OHKOing many targets such as tapu lele, psychic types in general, and other neutral mons such as Tornadus-T. Superpower is there to hit some steels types that tyranitar cant really touch, although mons like heatran will take a ton of damage with crunch or stone edge. Max speed EVs let it outspeed mons such as Lando-T, Rotom-W, Spdef Tran and stuff.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Excadrillo is our fairy check and sand "abuser". It can be very threatening due to swords dance, being able to kill various threats once Rotom-W and other gay threats which completely blocks our drill are gone. Earthquake and Iron Head are the main stabs etc etc, Rapid Spin support is vital and really helpful in quite all matchups and woo hoo Swords Dance is fucking awesome. We needed a good wallbreaker and setupper, and here it is. Once you will ger rid of some threats you just click and win bawp. Balloon's good here because we just have one good ground resist, which is rotom, but it's just one so yeah this helps against lando and other ground mons as well.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-W covers a wide array of metagame threats, ranging from offensive Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir to Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Sand Rush Excadrill. Volt Switch allows Rotom-W to pivot out of incoming threats and getting momentum obviously, while Hydro Pump is the second main stab. And here comes the double status legendary Rotom. As you can see, we are very weak to Mega Charizard-X. Indeed, we decided to add Thunder Wave Rotom here, but you gotta play well around it, because still, Charizard will do a ton with its stabbed Dragon Claw. Will-O-Wisp is there to threat physical attackers basically.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

The beast. Another good wallbreaker, especially when it's Ash form, so it will hit so much harder than the normal does. Specs set has become common nowadays because of its utility. It is very good indeed. It hits hard and you can just u-turn to bring momentum. In fact, it forces a lot of switches and it allows you to maintain your momentum. For example if you see a Chansey in the back, you can just u-turn and bring in the Tyranitar, which will just pursuit | superpower the fat mon. Water Shuriken is a very effective priority move, knocking out faster sweepers such as Pheromosa in one turn and revenge killing weakened Pokemon. Dark Pulse and Hydro Pump are so strong, they both can 2hko a lot of neutral targets easily. Greninja is just awesome.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

Clefable is one of the most consistent Stealth Rock users in the tier due to its advantageous match-up with every common Rapid Spin and Defog user. Moonblast is the stab, of course. Knock Off is very good at crippling opposing Pokemon, so you will be able to get rid of some annoying items such as Leftovers. That EV spread is basically to switch into Lando-T, Garchomp, Scarf Tyranitar, Zygarde etc without getting 2hkoed.

Just a quick edit: since we're weak to ash-ninja a ton, you can run spdef clef or mixed one, just to wall greninja well because we do not have a solid switchin :v also, zardy is another problem so you gotta play carefully against it.

Importable

Volcarona @ Firium Z / Flynium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hurricane

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

Conclusion

I hope you like our RMT! Just have fun with it, and tell me suggestions or changes if you want to. I'm not doing shoutouts because there are so many people, but yeah you know who you are friends. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hey nice team. The first thing I noticed was that both Ash Greninja, has a field day vs this team. The main reason why Ash Greninja is more menacing than normal ninja is that it has access to priority meaning it can stop a sand boosted Excadrill, or a weakened Volcarona that setup. Also Charizard-Y could be troublesome if it comes in as it practically gets a kill every time and your only real counterplays are hoping that you can weaken it to the point where ash ninja's dark pulse would kill. With that being said here are my suggestions. I also don't like the use of Excadrill as a rapid spinner since it loses to a lot of the more common rockers.

The first thing I would change about this team is changing Tyranitar to Choice Scarf. With ScarfTars nice speed
outspeeding Charizard-Y,(and outspeeding latios) it can easily hit it hard with Stone Edge for an easy OHKO. ScarfTar also gives you another way to check Mega Pinsir which prevents Volcarona from setting up, and could also be a huge threat to this team especially since rotom-w has no recovery. the main downside of this is that it makes this team a lot weaker to stall. While you do become a lot weaker to stall i think you can play around it with knock off clefable + z fire blast volcarona + u-turn chip dmg from ash ninja. also if you can win the 50/50 vs chansey with tyranitar after knocking it off with clefable and get off a u-turn on it with ninja or getup rocks ( this isnt too unrealistic since msab isnt coming in on clefable) volcarona can kill it with a +1 z fire blast.

-->
The second thing I wanna change about this team is running
Tapu fini > rotom-wash. As I said before, I don't like using Excadrill as the main hazard control for my main wincon(this case being volcarona) especially when that spinner doesn't really beat most of the common rockers. However, Tapu Fini can easily beat both Landorus-T, Garchomp, and even opposing Excadrill with ease and defog, and also having the ability to hit garchomp hard with moonblast, and taking off 50% off vs landorus-t and excadrill. You said that Rotom-Wash is here for dealing with Mega Pinsir and Landorus-T, but you also stated that Clefable can switch into Landorus-T, and Tapu Fini can also Moonblast it, or if you want you can use Scald. Mega Pinsir isn't that big of an issue anymore since Tyranitar is Choice Scarf, but this also means that you have to play more careful around Charizard-X since the Thunder Wave option is gone. If you can either stop it from setting up with Tyranitar, or just sac tyranitar to getup sand for driller, or even weaken it with fini to put it into ash ninja range it won't be that big of an issue.

also small change. make excadrill rock slide just to hit celesteela and zard-y much harder than iron head since spin isn't really needed anymore with fini.

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- hidden Power Ground

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hey nice team. The first thing I noticed was that both Ash Greninja, has a field day vs this team. The main reason why Ash Greninja is more menacing than normal ninja is that it has access to priority meaning it can stop a sand boosted Excadrill, or a weakened Volcarona that setup. Also Charizard-Y could be troublesome if it comes in as it practically gets a kill every time and your only real counterplays are hoping that you can weaken it to the point where ash ninja's dark pulse would kill. With that being said here are my suggestions. I also don't like the use of Excadrill as a rapid spinner since it loses to a lot of the more common rockers.

The first thing I would change about this team is changing Tyranitar to Choice Scarf. With ScarfTars nice speed
outspeeding Charizard-Y,(and outspeeding latios) it can easily hit it hard with Stone Edge for an easy OHKO. ScarfTar also gives you another way to check Mega Pinsir which prevents Volcarona from setting up, and could also be a huge threat to this team especially since rotom-w has no recovery. the main downside of this is that it makes this team a lot weaker to stall. While you do become a lot weaker to stall i think you can play around it with knock off clefable + z fire blast volcarona + u-turn chip dmg from ash ninja. also if you can win the 50/50 vs chansey with tyranitar after knocking it off with clefable and get off a u-turn on it with ninja or getup rocks ( this isnt too unrealistic since msab isnt coming in on clefable) volcarona can kill it with a +1 z fire blast.

-->
Tapu fini > rotom-wash. As I said before, I don't like using Excadrill as the main hazard control for my main wincon(this case being volcarona) especially when that spinner doesn't really beat most of the common rockers. However, Tapu Fini can easily beat both Landorus-T, Garchomp, and even opposing Excadrill with ease and defog, and also having the ability to hit garchomp hard with moonblast, and taking off 50% off vs landorus-t and excadrill. You said that Rotom-Wash is here for dealing with Mega Pinsir and Landorus-T, but you also stated that Clefable can switch into Landorus-T, and Tapu Fini can also Moonblast it, or if you want you can use Scald. Mega Pinsir isn't that big of an issue anymore since Tyranitar is Choice Scarf, but this also means that you have to play more careful around Charizard-X since the Thunder Wave option is gone. If you can either stop it from setting up with Tyranitar, or just sac tyranitar to getup sand for driller, or even weaken it with fini to put it into ash ninja range it won't be that big of an issue.

also small change. make excadrill rock slide just to hit celesteela and zard-y much harder than iron head since spin isn't really needed anymore with fini.

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- hiddenpowergroundhurrican

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
True, I agree with you and I was making another version with scarf tyranitar as well. Just one tip, without Tyranitar, I'm gonna lose a strong and powerful wallbreaker because you know, who is goes in to take a banded Stone Edge? Still, your version can work and I'll try it out. Thanks.

Reactions: 3d

-->

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- hidden Power Ground

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
yeah u have figued out some of the biggest threats to this team, however, ur version has 0 ground immune (beside balloon drill which is def not considered as a ground immune), which makes the team so weak to landot, scarfed chomp and etc.

I would suggest which I already have talked to Empo that use bluky Gyara > Rotom for both Zards and Ninja; Serp > Clef as a late game sweeper; and Gross > Greninja for better Lele and bulu's switchin

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
yeah u have figued out some of the biggest threats to this team, however, ur version has 0 ground immune (beside balloon drill which is def not considered as a ground immune), which makes the team so weak to landot, scarfed chomp and etc.

I would suggest which I already have talked to Empo that use bluky Gyara > Rotom for both Zards and Ninja; Serp > Clef as a late game sweeper; and Gross > Greninja for better Lele and bulu's switchin
After thinking for a while and talking to friends, we realized that ground types, especially z landot are a big issue. instead of changing half the team we came to a conclusion that Ice Punch > Superpower on Tyranitar would help beat Landorus-T, if it hasn't setup a Rock Polish. While Ground types are manageable ice punch gives you something else to fall back on if you don't wanna lock yourself into Water Shuriken with Ash Ninja. Some of the downsides are you don't get to hit opposing Ttar and Excadrill, but those really aren't setup mons and Ash Ninja can threaten both of them.

Last edited:
Really nice team, anyway I think that you should change some set. If I were you I would change the Tyranitar's set: with the Choice Scarf it's able to revengekill stuff like Mega Charizard Y, Mega Metagross, Lati@s and Mega Pinsir. You should use a Tapu Fini instead of Rotom Wash, because he can use defog and can be a nice stallbreaker with Whirlpool+Taunt, it checks very well stuff like Pheromosa and Ash Greninja. So with this change you can run Rock Slide instead of Rapid Spin that allows you to hit better some stuff like Skarmory, and maybe you can also run Steelium Z on Excadrill, useful to do a massive damage defensive stuff like defensive Landorus Therian, or Rockium Z if you wanto to do a massive damage to something like Rotom-Wash. I noticed that you haven't a ground immunity and I think that you should try to use Landorus Therian instead of Clefable with Hp Ice over Stonedge to baitkill stuff like Landorus Therian and Garchomp, with U-turn he can grab momentum. You maybe should try on this team a Bulkier Volcarona set that allows you to take better a Metagross' Zen headbutt, he can statup easily and it has a good staying power too.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Whirlpool
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
Volcarona is a fucking beast once it sets up. Making its Inferno Overdrive ohko almost anything at +1, Bug Buzz is kinda nice to have though. Since it koes many rock mons in OU anyway, But if you look at this team once Clefable gets killed, Conk destroys everything, Volcarona can take at least two hits from standard Conk, A knock off and a mach punch so Conk is a giant threat in your way. If you run firium volcarona, and you used the thing already. Bulk Gyarados or Dual Dance Flynium Z Landorus-T can help tons. Skarmory is a better hazards setter than Clefable though and it can even remove them. I'd also suggest a specially bulky Skarmory to be put on your team as well, but this is just my opinion

Really nice team! I would agree with the suggestions for ScarfTar. I have always liked ScarfTar over other forms of Ttar because the speed boost is vital for hitting certain targets (here Mega Zard-Y and the Latis). Having Specs Ninja means you won't miss Tar's walbreaking as much. Also, I think replacing Rotom-W with Zapdos could help. It would allow you to not have to run rapid spin on drill as people have mentioned. Zap can Defog, has reliable recovery and can even volt switch if you want to keep the VoltTurn offense going (as well maintaining the ground immunity). But the team seems great, so I'm not sure this would make it a whole lot better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)