ORAS OU Dressed In Black [Peaked 2088 on ladder]

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Hey! Yesterday I decided to create a RMT of this team since the sixth generation is almost gone so I wanted to post it as my last ORAS OU RMT :[
This team was built during Italy vs Germany wcop, for the tiebreak Tricking vs Xray. XRay really likes latwins and he suffers bulky water calm minders such as Suicune, Slowbro, Slowking etc. Then I started building around Slowking + Weavile as pursuit trapper. The starting idea was weird, but it was good for the opponent Tricking was going to play. Since I lacked of Meteor switchins, a reliable Chaizard(s) check, a Serperior Switch-In I felt like Heatran was the best choice. Heatran was good weapon against Talonflame, but birds like Pinsir were not that easy to check so I inserted Mega Manectric, due to its offensive sinergy with Weavile. Ferrothorn was the following choice since Azumarill and other water mons were pretty much troublesome. As last mon I picked Togekiss since I needed a reliable defogger (which can deal with Bulky Chompers) but since I was Bisharp-Weak I had to use Fast Togekiss with Aura Sphere in order to deal with it. I gave this team and other teams to Tricking, but he used another team I build, instead of this. Then OLT came up and Tricking used this team in order to get that insane ladder result and obv got reqs.
I used the team too, but since we all know how unrewarding the ladder system is, I got haxed near to 2000 points and then I tilted :[ But oh well, let's go ahead with the team!

Details

Slowking @ Leftovers

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Slowking is probably one of the most underrated mons in the whole tier. After two or maybe one single Calm Mind it can sweep an entire team if it lacks of a reliable Dark Physical Attacker such as CB Tyranitar, Weavile or Bisharp. The moveset is clearly obvious: double stab in order to get the best coverage, a recovery move and Calm Mind in order to get boosts. With the evs spread I'm using, Slowking is 3hko from any Diancie attack (Diamond Storm or even Moon Blast), it can switch in on Lopunny and Keldeo. It can even tank a LO Weavile Knock Off, which is insane. Slowking is also the main win condition against Calm Mind Clefable once Ferro is gone or if fable is FT.

Weavile @ Choice Band

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Weavile is without any kind of doubt one of the main threats that ORAS OU offers. Its Knock Off STAB can 2hko most of the OU Mons and OHKO a lot of them even without a super effective boost. Since latwins will switch on Slowking or even on Manectric's Volt Switches, Weavile can Easily come in and pursuit-trap those mons. Icicle Crash is a hard-hitting move and 2hkos bulky fat mons such as Clefable and mons that can barely resist a Knock Off. Weavile's main stab is probably the only way to deal with opposing (not that common) Reuniclus and with most of the psychic types of the tier. Ice Shard allows me to hit Scarf Landos and offers a decent lategame damage if I want to finish the game without risks.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite

Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

And now is Manectric's Turn! Manectric's amazing speed, its access to Volt Switch and to an amazing coverage (Bolt Beam + Fire) makes of him one of the best revenge-kill machines and can be the key to the victory against most offensive teams. Its access to Intimidate allows him to switch in on weak, resisted attacks such as Scizor's Bullet Punches or Bulky Talonflame BBirds. Manectric is a magnet for Latios and Latias and for a lot of pokémons that Weavile loves to face such as Tangrowth and other grass mons. I don't think there's too much to say bout Mega Manectric, we all know how it works O_O

Heatran @ Leftovers

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

The main switch-in on the Draco Meteors is Heatran. Heatran is such an amazing mon and even if it lacks of a reliable recovery move it's really tough to take down, due to Protect + Leftovers recovery. It's my Stealth Rocks setter and my main switchin on pokémons such as Tornadus but even grass mons like Serperior. Toxic cripples CM Slowbros n Slowkings but even Keldeos, Rotom-W and other bulky water/latwins. Lava Plume has a 30 % of burn rate even if I can say I didn't even get a single burn in my life O_O Heatran is a decent Gardevoir and fairies check too and a good way to deal with Charizardz (even if EQ Char X is a problem for the team :[).

Togekiss @ Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 92 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Defog
- Roost

Togekiss is a really underrated defog user. I really love Togekiss' ability to switch in on common grounds Stealth Rock setters such as Hippowdon, Garchomp and Landorus-T and defog without risks. There's nothing to say about this set, it's a normal fast Togekiss but the only "weird" thing is Aura Sphere so I can defog on switching-in Bisharps and then OHKO them with Aura sphere without risks. Aura sphere helps Togekiss against other common mons such as Magnezone (2hko) and annyoing tyranitars. The speed is obviously calcled in order to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and Breloom and 369 hps which is a Magic Leftovers Number.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Spikes

And here's my last slot, Ferrothorn. It's basically my main Diancie and Azumarill switch-in and offers a good offensive presence with the spikes support. Even if I've got a Defog user, Spikes are still a good addition to the team in lategame, especially against teams that rely on suicide leads as SR setter. Ferrothorn is my main answer to rain teams so the evs spread is not fully def but mixed. Leech Seed + Protect is annoying as fuck, especially against Volturn Teams and Gyro Ball hits Latwins and Fairies (Diancie, Gardevoir) really hard. Iron barbs are always useful in order to put a certain mon in range.

Well, that's all :O I hope you liked it n_n

ETT

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Spikes

Weavile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 92 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Defog
- Roost

o, and ban sable plz.

Last edited:
Hey Snow, that's a really cool team you have got there, as we already talked together on PS! i won't make it a long rate and to be honest i don't see any blatant weakness on this team, however i have some changes that can make your team better overall.

Firstly i'd suggest to swap Protect with Earth Power on Heatran as opposing Heatran might be a pain for your team, slowking is clearly not enough as it can get burned or even toxiced which means it's going to get pressured on the long run, it implies that you have to change your spread into a more accomodated one: 248 HP / 252 Speed / 8 SpeDef @Timid Nature, with that spread you will be able to outspeed most of Heatran and in worst case play for tie, this will also make your team a little less Heracross / Scizor Offensive weak.

Secondly i'd have put the extra 96 Evs Def in SpeDef on Togekiss just because your team is extremely weak to Alakazam-Mega and it would help you to switch in directly as Psychic is a 2HKO from Modest version without the SpeDef investment. (However this is optional as modest variant isn't that common anyway but it's your call)

I hope I helped and good luck with your team :)

I've been using your team for a bit now and I am absolutely loving Slowking in OU right now. Its got great bulk, and can be a dangerous sweeper if it sets up. It, so far, has been a blessing against mega Lopunny, excadrill, and volcanion. I've been looking for a good M-Manectric team and this seems to take the cake at the moment for one of the best teams for him! One of my suggestions/something that feels missing is a U-Turn pokemon that has more synergy with manectric. However, the team can perform just great without a U-Turn-er, so thats something thats great as well!

EDIT: Just a quick question: what makes you want to use Slowking over Slowbro? Is it the additional special bulk?

Last edited:

Snou

I've been using your team for a bit now and I am absolutely loving Slowking in OU right now. Its got great bulk, and can be a dangerous sweeper if it sets up. It, so far, has been a blessing against mega Lopunny, excadrill, and volcanion. I've been looking for a good M-Manectric team and this seems to take the cake at the moment for one of the best teams for him! One of my suggestions/something that feels missing is a U-Turn pokemon that has more synergy with manectric. However, the team can perform just great without a U-Turn-er, so thats something thats great as well!

EDIT: Just a quick question: what makes you want to use Slowking over Slowbro? Is it the additional special bulk?
Right so! Even after a Calm Mind, Slowbro lacks of special bulkyness and then electric mons such as Manectric could still 2hko it. The additional special bulk helps against Diancie, which can 2hko a Slowbro with 2 Moonblasts. So I assume Slowbro and Slowking are way different in their role :o

Really like the use of Defog Togekiss, it's a very underrated set. The team lacks a good Ground switch-in though and doesn't really have answers to stuff like LO Excadrill and a few other physical threats.

You could try Helmet Tangrowth > Ferrothorn, and Rest > Protect on Heatran (for TWave CM Clef and stall). It's a bit of a trade-off, making you weaker overall to Manaphy, DD Altaria, Diancie and Weavile, but possibly worth it for a stable physical wall.

Leftiez suggestion of fast Earth Power Heatran is also a good one, although the match-up against Flamethrower CM Clef then becomes really scary.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm actually not entirely convinced Slowking is better than Slowbro on this team, since Slowking is generally better against Diancie, Lati@s, etc. special threats but Ferrothorn is fairly solid at checking these mons, whereas the lack of Slowbro makes you more exploitable to heavy physical hitters such as LO Excadrill, Medicham (especially Thunder Punch variants), and Adamant Lopunny. However - I imagine Slowking certainly has its uses, and I feel the two are similar enough in their roles to warrant similar ladder success.

Quick question: what benefits do Choice Band give Weavile over Life Orb? I imagine being locked into Pursuit after trapping something forces you to switch out, and while it does hit insanely hard, I'm pretty sure the difference between Band and LO shouldn't be too significant? I suppose you aren't worn down by LO recoil, though, but I'm wondering if there are specific threats in mind? Did you have a purpose with it, or did you simply use it to try and - and since it worked, felt no need to swap to LO? Because I do feel that Life Orb is probably a more solid option to Band since switching up moves can be important.

Hmm - I do say, isn't Mega Alakazam a bit tricky to play around? It can more or less 2HKO this entire time, making it a very solid late game win condition. For that matter, Banded Tyranitar is also a pain to switch into! Mega Hercaross, for that matter, is also quite a pesky Pokemon to switch into, especially since you are Slowking ove Slowbro, so you can't even survive a round of Pin Missle to scout for the burn.

The only thing I can really think of to switch would be Ferrothorn from Leftovers to Chople Berry, since this is the only thing that could give you a better matchup against these threats without changing too much of the team. How much does Aura Sphere do to Tyranitar? I can't imagine it is enough.

Overall a solid team. I really like the use of Defog Togekiss, so kudos for that.

Last edited:
Hello -Snow,

thats a cool team you have there, congratulations and thanks for sharing it! I also want to say that I enjoyed reading your RMTs throughout ORAS.

Onto the team: Have you ever considered running Suicune instead of Slowking? My main argument would be the better matchup against Dark Types, since Tyranitar and Weavile look like major threats for your team. With Roar, you can shuffle around your opponent and abuse Spikes while Calm Mind turns Cune into a solid Win-condition.

Last Mon Clefable now becomes a bigger problem, but going with Taunt over Protect on Heatran may help with that issue. I'm also supporting max Speed on Heatran to combat offensive Mega Scizor and Bisharp a bit better.
Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Have a nice day

Last edited:

Snou

:O I'll prolly try Chople Ferro but I'm not sure about Suicune :[ You Know, those sneaky Medichams n Metagrosses...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)