Move Dual Screens (Reflect and Light Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
These really only need one thread.

Reflect and Light Screen can be some pretty useful moves; however due to the quirkiness of the attacks they appear on gimmicks lots of the time. For example Memento and Dual Screens Gardevoir used to be fantastic in NU to support Linoone and Clamperl while they set up. These moves are also great for offensive teams - get a Pokemon such as Uxie with Light Clay to set up the screens and U-Turn out, then send in a Glass Cannon who can now actually survive some hits to begin a bit of a mini-sweep. Reflect deflects physical attacks, Light Screen special.

I believe these are now less useful in a bulky offense ruled metagame we have. Why set up more defenses when the most common Pokemon such as Aegislash have them?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One thing about dual screens that changed alot are the abusers. Klefki is the most obvious and most relevant new one. It gets spikes, both screens and other support moves like Thunder Wave, Swagger, Toxic, etc, so it has a pretty good place in the lead position and has a decent typing that makes up for the sub-par defensive stats, so you are able to set up your screens most of the time.
What really benefits from dual screens are setupsweepers, and gen 6 has some important new ones that lack recovery or bulk. I am mainly thinking of Mega-Lucario. MLucario needs setup to work to it's fullest extent, with two great boosting moves in Swords Dance or Nasty Plot it can run both physical and mixed sweeping sets, since it has great speed and access to plenty of priority moves in Vacuum Wave, Bullet Punch and Extremespeed to support great attack moves like Close Combat, Aura Sphere, etc. The only thing it lacks is the bulk to set up on many things.
Of course there are tons of sweepers that enjoy turns to set up. Aegislash for example might not need screens support, but many other mons appreciate it.

I believe these are now less useful in a bulky offense ruled metagame we have. Why set up more defenses when the most common Pokemon such as Aegislash have them?
Untrue, Screens are fantastic to boost behind, often giving you the turns you need to get your speed or defenses to safe enough levels to sweep.

And Defog may exist, but switching to the user and then using the move gives your opponent two free turns of boosting. It isn't so simple to say that Defog makes screens useless when it forces momentum grabbing. Believe me, I'm grateful when the enemy switches to Defog my screens as my Conkeldurr or Haxorus are allowed to get up to +4 Bulk Up or Dragon Dance. Klefki's great typing and priority screens make it one of the best abusers. Magic Guard Clefable is also awesome being really resistant and has access to Wish or Softboiled too.

Bisharp says Hi! Most defoggers are Bisharp bait, and there's not too many things that like being hit by a +2 knock off or even carry a fighting move (except Scizor) that have Defog.

Screens have been helpful to me lately. Usually for giving extra turns for offensive mons to defend vs. attacks they normally wouldn't be able to. And we now have both screens on priority, thanks to Klefki.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yea, that was basically my point. And of course you do not set up screens when facing a defogger already, you switch out and punish the turn they give you by defogging.

I've been using dual screens since last gen, and I have to say that Klefki is the best, if not only dual screener worth using (except maybe Deoxy-S). Here's the set I've been using for it -

doom keyring (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

I used to use Draining Kiss instead of Foul Play, but it didn't really work that well. You'd be surprised how many bad Aegislash players stay in and let themselves get OHKO'd by Foul Play.

...But yeah, dual screens is surprisingly useful on offensive teams. Dragonite, for one, works perfectly with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)