Durant-Entrainment-Team! RMT

Hi everyone!
I was reading the analysis for Durant, here on Smogon, and I noticed that it has one interesting move-ability-combination: The worst ability ever, Truant, can be used in combination with Entrainment! At first glance it might be gimmicky, but with proper team support, this is more than a little gimmick. So I tried to create a team based on Entrainment-Truant-Durant, since I like gimmicky play styles much more than a standart team.

And once again: I am not a native english speaker, so I'm sorry for spelling mistakes etc. ;)

Check it out:

Durant (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Entrainment
- X-Scissor
- Sandstorm
- Thunderwave

So, here it is, the "star" of the team: Durant. It has three main tasks to complete: changing the weather (because raint teams often ripped me apart), spreading paralysis and most important, annoying the opponent with Entrainment. This attack's effect is that the opponent's Pokemon gets the wielder's ability, in this case it will be Truant, making a pokemon useless for every other turn, so Dugtrio can come in, trap it and set up. I also used X-Scissor for not becoming Taunt bait.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus-Sash
Trait: Arena Trap

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Hone Claws

Dugtrio is my trapper. After Durant has used Entrainment, Dugtrio comes in and is able to spam Hone Claws in combination with Protect every other turn. Finally you will have: +6 attack, +6 accuracy (perfect Stone Edge acuuracy!!!!!) and a blistering 372 speed stat, outspeeding most relevant threats in OU. The Focus-Sash isn't very surprising anymore, but it helps a hell of a lot.

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance

- Quiver Dance

- Bug Buzz

Well, the other pokemon in my team have "filling" roles: Volcarone is one of my bulky Sweepers. There's not too much to say about the build, I chose Substitute over Roost, just because Volcarona is much less effective when inflicted with status. The rest of the attacks are clear, I think. ;)

Ferrothorn (F) @ Rugged Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Protect
- Leech Seed

- Stealth Rock

- Gyro Ball

Not much to say, I love Ferrothorn and I just HAD to put it in my team. I decided to go for the "Rugged Helmet" version of Ferrothorn, because it does about 29% to pokemon who use moves against Ferrothorn, that make contact. Additionally, it can annoy the opponent with Leech Seed + Protect. Gyro Ball for attacking. (Run 0 speed IVs!)

Thundurus-T (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

What Zapdos used to be in Generation 3, Thundurus-T is now: a fearsome special sweeper. Agility lets it outrun everything, LO boosts its attacks. I went for Grass Knot over Focus "Miss" because of... well you might noticed. ;) The pseudo BoltBeam-Combination provides good coverage, and makes Thundurus-T a good mid- and late-game sweeper.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch

- Hydro Pump

- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

ScarfRotom-W is also pretty standart, but I felt like it syergises well with my team, and it does its job very well until now. What can I say, Sarftom can be very mean, because of Trick, which lets it shut down an opponent's wall totally, while getting Lefties, and it still can mess around with Hydro Pump a lot, especially in Rain.

So, this is my team. I appreciate every sort of criticism and hints you can give me, because I think there is still something missing on this team. Yet, I don't know what it is, maybe you can tell me. :D

The big problem with a big part of your strategy (durant + dugtrio) is that it won't work against anyone half decent, let alone good at team building/battling. It's a very predictable thing when Durant is on a team with a Trapping Pokemon that it is going to try Entraining you. Very easy to work around. As such, I would replace both of those Pokemon and try to find ones that give your team more synergy.

Thanks for your hint, Episode36. I tried that team a couple times more, and I have to admit: every competitive player has stopped it pretty easy. Especially the VoltTurn-Core Scizor or Landorus-T / Rotom-W totally redered this strategy completely useless. I think I will just stick to "normal" teams or try other more competitive gimmick-playstyles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)