DV sucks! (A Newark warstory: More pictures to come later)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am typing this with my two battles still fresh in my head so it should be pretty accurate. I make some mistakes and hax happens in the 2nd battle that is really ironic.

---The Day before---
I was not very nervous on Friday but I did practice on PO for an hour or so. I ended up at #19 on the VGC ladder and got into the finals of a practice tournament the server had, so I was feeling pretty confident about my team.

Here's the team(not going to LCQ so might as well give you guys something to watch out for in nats/worlds):

"Morpheus"@Choice Scarf
Own tempo
Jolly
255HP/255 SPD
-Dark Void
-Fake Out
-Sacred Fire
-Transform

This guy was amazing during testing. He surprised and slept everyone I encountered and was very useful because he almost always had the fastest fake out. The last two slots are a bit random.

"Leonardo"@Choice Specs
Pressure
Timid
6HP/252 SP. ATK/252 SPD
-Draco Meteor
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

Once again put here for the element of surprise as well as tricking unobservant people into thinking he was smeargle. He was just the "faint something" button Draco meteor was so powerful that it was often the only move I used because it dished out simply astounding damage.

"Serena"@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Bold
255 HP/255 DEF
-SoftBoiled
-Thunder
-Icy Wind
-Calm Mind

I like using Blissey and needed a special wall so I threw her in there. Icy Wind, a 60% paralyze rate, and the ability to beat pretty much any special attacker is just too useful to pass up. I would switch her into any special attacker (and some physical attackers) with confidence that she would come out victorious.

Aquila"@Sitrus Berry
Pressure
Sassy
252 HP/52 DEF/200 SP. DEF

-Aeroblast
-Roost
-Calm Mind
-Reflect

Caught in-game so it was sassy which didn't hinder its defensive ability too much so I used it.(I thanked god it wasn't adamant or something) I realized my team was all weak to fighting so I put Aquila in to laugh at the millions of low kicks and mach punches I was seeing. He was a perfect switch in for Leonardo because he was immune or 4x resist to all his weaknesses. Reflect for making the long calm mind sessions w/Serena easier and to survive an explosion. I originally tried a psych up and sub Aquila but that didn't work out very well. (Serena got a big red target painted on it)
----------------------------------------------------------------
So the object of the team was to trick and surprise you into thinking it was a TR team when actually it was a Hyper offense lead. Then to CM up while you sleep or let Leonardo's draco meteor wreck havoc. (it could KO a non-haban Palkia with a -2 sp. atk) This team won quite a bit of practice matches and the only lead I had trouble with was Palkia/Infernape.
----------------------------------------------------------------
---The Day Of---

I got up at 7:00 to get the last few BP to get a CM TM for Lugia. We went out at about 8:00 and got there at about 11:00. The line wasn't too long yet so I had an easy time finding the end. I saw a lot of cosplay and cool T-shirts. At one point I saw a falcons shirt behind me and it was Dragon Fe with TDS. I was pretty shy so I just stood there feeling dumb. I decided to go over and say hi when I saw fightgar too, all I really did was point to my badge and whisper a hi. Ah well, at least they recognized the avatar. I spent a bit of time looking for chrizekiel but I couldn’t find him so I just gave up when my dad brought our chairs. A staff member later came out and started counting us and I found out I was #374. I was pretty shocked and felt bad for the massive line outside, but I found out that there was already people inside later.

The line didn’t really move untill 1:30 at which there was a huge roar from all of us outside. We get inside to a pretty open room with two banners leading us into a huge packed room with a long line for registration. The registration took around 1/2 hr., at that time I went around looking at some battles, the random banners around, and downloaded my shiny eevee.

After getting checked in I start my battles.

---Round 1--- vs. Nathan
This guy was around my age and scared me a little bit because I saw him in line Pp maxing with his 999 PP maxes. He looked pretty nervous like me especially when at first the DS wouldn’t read his card. He lead with typholosion and Latios. I was a bit worried of a scarf on the typhlosion but smeargle easily puts them both to sleep. The poor guy looks struck that such a move exists and halfway through the match as I put his Gira-O to sleep he says “this move should be banned!” I thought that maybe he could know something about EV’s since he took the time to get a Gira-O but his suicune uses sandstorm… 4-0

The competition area
R1 Competition area

---Round 2--- vs. Will/Skarmblisser

I recorded this match: 94-17639-45303

A tall blond guy. He looked a bit nervous as well but he was pretty nice. Unfortuantly this match was pretty ironic and haxy with 3 major ones that screwed me.

He leads with a level 1 smeargle and a Dialga. I lead with Morpheus and Leonardo. We both chuckle from our leads. The first turn is where I make the one mistake that I regret. I Aura Sphere his Dialga who survives with a little red left and attempt to Dv with Morphues. This is my mistake, I looked up the damage calculator later on and see that a speced Aura sphere does ~85-90% to 252HP Dialga. A Draco meteor was able to do up to 110%… Ironic how I didn’t spam DM for once and could have prevented my loss if I had Guess I underestimated DM’s power. Anyway, his smeargle fakes mine out and his dialga Dragon pulses mine for ~65%. I think he thought I would set up TR because his team was probably TR.

I ask the guy if he goes on smogon. He says no but I find out that he is a skarmblisser.

Next, his Dialga protects while Morpheus DV’s puts his smeargle to sleep. Leonardo tries to AS his protected Dialga. Turn 3, I predict a switch with dialga so I AS his sleeping smeargle to the sash while he switches Dialga to Groundon. My DV misses his groundon... Then his Smeargle WAKES UP and DVs for a double hit. It only slept for 1 turn and I have no such luck the next turn as smeargle detects and groundon EQ’s for a double KO. I am feeling a bit uncertain about the outcome of the match now, but Aquila and Serena have survived much worse than this so out they come. Aquila reflects while serena icy winds for a KO on smeargle and ~10% to groundon. He flings an iron ball at Aquila for ~50% and sitrus brings Aquila back to green. Out comes his shiftry and I am only thinking EXPLOSION!!!. So I try to aeroblast it and icy wind it for a KO but it uses a life orb dark pulse that does a surprisng 50% and FLINCHES Aquila. Groundon uses rock slide for absymal damage to Aquila and Serena w/reflect. Serena gets another icy wind and I am left feeling angry at the flinch. Next turn Shiftry finishes Aquila while groudon Rock slides again and Serena CMs. I fear for the explosion, but his shiftry and groudon try Dark pulse and rock slide against Serena. I icy wind again hoping the CM boost and lif orb recoil is enough to take out shiftry but he has ~10% left. At this point Serena has ~70% but survives his explosion from shiftry with probably 10 hp or so. His groudon protects, I softboil, Shiftry faints and I think I have this game. Even w/reflect gone I know that Dialga and Groudon can’t KO Serena. He protects with Dialga, I softboil and he Eqs with groudon for ~30%. Serena still has ~75% so I go for an icy wind to finish dialga and bring groundon into KO range for next turn. He Dragon pulses for a CRITICAL HIT which does ~50% to blissey. I know that he was hoping for a crit because groudon Eqs KOing his own dialga and serena. This match left a sour taste as I had the game at 3 points but hax ruined them all. We shake hands and I walk out of the competition area.

---Afterwards---

We have to leave early because my dad had other stuff planned for if I lost early (he didn’t want to stay). I didn’t get to play King of the Hill or see who got to the finalists lounge but it was still pretty fun. If anyone saw who knocked out that tall blonde skarmblisser somewhere or even knows who he is could you tell me?

Pros:
A very fun event. Even had fun in the line looking at the cosplay and T-shirts
Got to play and see some smogonites
People liked my ball seals

Cons:
Expensive food
Haxy loss
Feeling bad for knocking out kid in R1(He looked quite sad)

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well good try. That hax really sucks, sorry. Did anyone see chrizekiel? I helped him prepare and was hoping he did well.

Hey it was nice to meet you, and I'm sorry you got jipped in that 2nd round match. Alot of us can relate though, just one mistake can make or break you. But than again, hax doesn't help much xD.
Also its cool you recognized the falcon shirts!

It's bad enough to crash in to a smogonite. Its way worse to lose to some nub because of hax... We need a no hax clause in these tournaments. Would have saved so many people.

Yeah, I was wondering, what happened to him? He didn't reply to my visitor message.

Fightgar you guys were pretty cool, it was great to see some smogonites in real life.

(By the way can a mod change the title so it says the pictures were added? "DV sucks! A Newark warstory w/pictures")

Good try Garaluo. Luck was on my side that VGC. I got a freeze one round and my first match had no hax. My spaciel rends all hit.

I looked for the Emblem but did not see it. I stayed till 4 30 PM east looking for people. I found a group of Smogon Knites. Chibo was among them. I thought I saw TDS but did not trust my memory of his face.

I did have fun. I go there around 10:30 and the line lead me to the Parking lot.
The only part I regret on my behalf is taking out my round one opponent. God that was an awful sight. What made it suck was that I befriended him in the waiting line.

If you guys know people that were cheated tell them to submit their story to Marriland. He read and replied to mine. He said that he would give it to a bigwig for review for future competitions. Might even go as far as make a change (Pre R1 Hack Checks). Next VGC will be much better hopefully.

good shot man. you worked hard and thats what counts. but we all know that hax is part of this game we all love so much. its the shitty part, but you know we wouldnt have it any other way, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)