Edit Dates on Analysis Pages

I don't know if this has been considered or brought up already, but I would find it very useful if the date/time when analysis were last majorly updated were made publicly available. Some uses for this would be to help people who are interested in writing Analysis Pages or revamping them, and knowing how long it has been since the last update. For example, I've been recently looking over random NU Pokemon pages and it looks as if they have not been updated recently, but I cannot know for sure unless the dates are made available. Writers looking to revamp pages can more easily find older pages that need updating to focus on rather than wasting their time editing something that has been recently revamped.

This could also help information seekers looking for, uh, let's say the viability of Mothim in UU. If they see that the page has been majorly updated in the past month, then the information would be more credible than, say, if it had been edited a year previously (especially with all of the UU changes going on).

I realize the people with SCMS access probably also are able to view an updates page, but keep in mind that it is not only badged users who write articles and analysis pages.

If another data area next to EVs or Nature called 'Date' with the day/month/year of the latest major revision (meaning new sets are updated, or one is overhauled) is added, then focus on older pages would tighten, and users would be able to see whether the information they're using is cutting edge or not.

Just a thought.

DT

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like this idea. I was thinking of this before, wondering when some of the analysis pages were last updated to see how valid they are in the current metagame. I hope this gets put into effect.

EDIT;; The only caveat would be that if a minor edit was made to the analysis (i.e. spelling correction) instead of a fully revamped update, it would show up and distort the date. Just throwing that out there.

I like this idea. I was thinking of this before, wondering when some of the analysis pages were last updated to see how valid they are in the current metagame. I hope this gets put into effect.

EDIT;; The only caveat would be that if a minor edit was made to the analysis (i.e. spelling correction) instead of a fully revamped update, it would show up and distort the date. Just throwing that out there.
Well, I was thinking that the date should be entered manually, so if only a minor edit, such as a sentence structure fix, was made, then the editor would not change the date, and that this would go set by set or else with a separate area somewhere at the bottom that gives the edit dates for each area, or as a whole. One problem that probably will occur is that sets currently on site will not be able to have a specific upload/revamp date unless the Analysis Workshop date was found and used, which may not be possible for all sets.

this is a good idea. the best way, imo, would be for site staff to manually check off a box for major edits when they cache. we look through changes regardless, so it's a simple check box for when updates are made, things are overhauled, etc.

it would require some site code edits, but someone like ryubahamut (when free) or shiv may be able to do it.

edit - it would look like this:

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, when the certain box is checked off (after coding is finished), the edit time would be shown on the Analysis Page, but only one edit time per page? Is there any way that edit times could be shown set by set, so that users know when individual sets have been updated? I'm asking this because I've seen analysis where there have been plenty new sets entered, but older entries have not been touched, so putting one edit time for an entire page would be inaccurate.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually this (or something very close to it) was brought up before here, and was supported by everyone who posted (including Caelum and Aldaron). However it seems nothing was done, so far.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, when the certain box is checked off (after coding is finished), the edit time would be shown on the Analysis Page, but only one edit time per page? Is there any way that edit times could be shown set by set, so that users know when individual sets have been updated? I'm asking this because I've seen analysis where there have been plenty new sets entered, but older entries have not been touched, so putting one edit time for an entire page would be inaccurate.
To clarify, that image is just an idea of what I think it should/would look like aka pure speculation.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I think that this could be very useful for those who don't have SCMS access, and I like darkie's idea of implementing it.

I agree that darkie's idea is excellent, but I stand by what I said about having an edit date by each set, seeing as some sets are updated more frequently than others. Would there be a way to code an easy updated time stamp set-by-set?

I like this.
Pretty much (though lol who cares what I think?)... not having SCMS access kinda limits your ability to tell when the last updates were made, though its fairly obvious an analysis is out of date when it mentions stuff like 'Ice Beam for Garchomp' or whatever.

Also am I the only one who tried to drag down the scroll bar on darkie's post like 3 times to read the rest of the Dugtrio analysis? .-.

I also like this suggestion. For newer players or players who have been away from the game for a while, it's good to now how up-to-date an analysis is, especially for metagame-specific issues like leads (although I think the analyses were generally supposed to avoid being specific to counter a certain trend, but I don't remember where I saw that...)

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Approved. Someone with the necessary skills please take care of this. Contact me if you need something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)