Eelektross Discussion

canno

formerly The Reptile

Eelektross

85 HP / 115 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 50 Spe

Levitate: This Pokemon is immune to Ground-type moves.

Level Up Moves: (Notable Moves in Bold)
-- Crush Claw
-- Headbutt
-- Acid
-- Discharge
-- Crunch

TM/HM Moves: (Notable Moves in Bold)
TM01: Hone Claws
TM02: Dragon Claw
TM05: Roar
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM24: Thunderbolt
TM25: Thunder
TM27: Return
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM35: Flamethrower
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM57: Charge Beam
TM62: Acrobatics
TM68: Giga Impact
TM70: Flash
TM72: Volt Switch
TM73: Thunder Wave
TM80: Rock Slide
TM82: Dragon Tail
TM84: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM89: U-Turn
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
TM93: Wild Charge
TM94: Rock Smash
HM01: Cut
HM04: Strength

Egg Moves: (Notable Moves in Bold)
Thunder Wave
Spark
Charge Beam
Bind
Thunderbolt
Acid Spray
Coil
Wild Charge
Gastro Acid
Zap Cannon
Thrash
Tackle

Eelektross is a very versatile pokemon, rocking high Atk and SpA, plus decent enough bulk. He also has no weakness, thanks to his ability and typing. And because of his ability, he's immune to all forms of Spikes. However, he has horrible speed, and electric doesn't grant too many resistances. Despite this, Eelektross is an unpredictable monster and can cause some damage in the tier if used right.

Sets*

Special Attacker
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
Expert Belt/Life Orb
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

With such amazing coverage between his 4 attacks, Expert Belt will almost always give a 20% boost. Volt Switch for scouting and causing damage, while Thunderbolt causes more damage. Both are STAB, and both can be used on the same set, but Expert Belt would rather have more coverage. Life Orb can be used instead for a constant 30% boost, but the recoil hurts Eel, especially since it's not a fragile sweeper, so the LO with just wear it down. If you plan on replacing HP Ice for something, replace Grass Knot for HP Grass, as it is much more consistent.

Coil
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SAtk)
Leftovers
- Coil
- Brick Break
- Crunch / Rock Slide
- Wild Charge / Dragon Tail

This set takes advantage of Eelekrtosses decent bulk and uses one of the new set-up moves Coil. This set works like any bulk-up pokemon. Brick Break and Crunch get neutral coverage on the tier. Wild Charge is your STAB attack, however, Dragon Tail can be used for Quagasire, who walls this set. Rock Slide can also be used, as he still has decent coverage. Gastro Acid can be used on Quagy for teh lulz, but there isn't much reason to use that, especially since there isn't anything you can really do to Quagy.

Parashuffler (untested)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SAtk)
Leftovers
- Coil
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Rest / Brick Break

Not my own set, but is from the comments, with some minor changes, the main one being that Brick Break has been moved since there isn't here since not many people run Dual Screens. Coil sets you up, Dragon Tail shuffles the opponent team, and Thunder Wave paralysis everyone. Rest is to make you immune to status and to give healing, however, cleric support is usually required, and you do not want to give anything turns to set up, so Brick Break may be used over it, since it can break uncommon screens because I feel like after the tier shift, HO is going to be very prominent.

Choice Special Attacker
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk) or Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power [Grass]

This is a choice set that uses its amazing Special Attack. Flash Cannon can be tossed in there and replace any move if you want, but a Grass is usually better anyways. Thunderbolt can be added to add a stronger STAB, but you must give up one of your coverage attacks. If you replace HP [Ice] then you can run HP [Grass] over Grass Knot if your like me and dislike Grass Knot. Also, slow Volt-Switch.

Note: If Choice Scarf is the item of choice, dump all HP EVS in Speed.

Choice Physical Attacker
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA) or Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
Choice Band/Choice Scarf
- U-Turn
- Brick Break
- Crunch / Rock Slide
- Wild Charge

Trades the bulk from the Coil set for instant power/more speed. U-Turn scouts, Brick Break + Crunch have neutral coverage on everything, Wild Charge is STAB. Rock Slide and Brick Break can get good coverage together. You could in theory use Dragon Claw, but it doesn't hit anything notable harder than it's other moves do. Also, slow U-Turn.

Note: If Choice Scarf is the item of choice, dump all HP EVS in Speed.

Trick Room Mixed Attacker
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
IVS: 0 Spe
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd) or Quite Nature (+SpA, -Spd)
Life Orb/Expert Belt/Leftovers
- Crunch / Rock Slide
- Brick Break
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

BoltBeam and Fight+Dark coverage allows you to hit almost anything at least neutrally. Rock Slide > Crunch is an option, and you can shove your STAB Wild Charge anywhere you want, however, LO Recoil + WC Recoil = Hurt. Besides, Thunderbolt is a better STAB move anyways. Leftovers can be used for longevity as opposed to a power boost.

Acid Spray
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Life Orb/Leftovers
- Acid Spray
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Acid Spray works as a pseudo Nasty Plot, however, they will most likely switch out. Not really the best set out there, but isn't completely horrible. Moves should be obvious BoltBeam and Volt Switch or a grass move. Again, Flash Cannon can be used, and again, a grass move is probably better. Can and should be used as a wall-breaking set.

Sub-Charge
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Leftovers
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute

Almost forgot about SubCharge set. Thunderbolt can be replaced by Flamethrower or Grass Knot if you feel Charge Beam deals enough damage.

*The Evs for these sets aren't necessarily the best. I've tested with max HP for all-round bulk, but the Evs can be adjusted to make him Physically/Specially bulky.

Pretty sure Eelektross doesn't get Ice Beam, otherwise I would be using it a lot more

It's a cool mon, and it's pretty damn powerful. The only problem is that it's soooooooo slow. But none the less, definitely a top threat in NU

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Yeah, change all mentions of Ice Beam with HP Ice. Also, I don't really know why all your sets bar the coil one run 252 speed. Eelektross is bulky with his typing / ability combination, and you have to invest in that (rather middling) bulk to make a difference. That may be why you found the coil set as the most effective one you've tested!

I found him rather great as a part of Volt-Turn core as a standard special attacking set with HP Ice / Grass Knot / Flamethower / Volt Switch type of moveset. (Feel free to swap out a coverage move for stronger STAB Thunderbolt, but I'd not touch Grass Knot considering the Swellow / Cinccino / U-turner checks are something along the lines of Regirock. Having a way to hit it extra hard helps, and you might even surprise your opponent with the damage.) Yeah, I know Lanturn rules here, but Eelektross's levitate makes it immune to spikes damage. That's pretty darn significant considering that Lanturn is so weak to them. You even get to use your slow speed to your advantage!

canno

formerly The Reptile
...shit. Will fix that.

EDIT: Fix'd. Also, will have to try out some more bulky variants and see if they do better (they probably will)
DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, he's not outspeeding anything notable, and the extra bulk helps him a lot. Changed the OP.

I came up with a set of my own like your first set with coil.

It was the same Ev's but I used Coil, rest, Dragon Tail, Brick Break/thunder-wave

The reason being depending on what team I was running (I used the set in OU) I'd switch brick break out with thunder wave and vise versa, it was essentially a dragonite without multiscale and since he didn't fear status I could do a decent amount since my opponents never knew what to expect.

Really, god forbid you let him get set up, or you don't have a phazor. I've caused many many many rage quits with the above set, because with the element of suprise you could easily paralyze two pokemon and start boosting/or phazing with dragon tail.

Worked just as well when I brought it on my RU team.

It's not a miracle worker, but that's my two cents.

His best set is with Life Orb or Expert Belt and using Flamethrower/Grass Knot/HP ?/Volt Switch or Thunderbolt. I like Expert Belt since shit gets hit super effectively all the time by him, but Life Orb is probably good too. But don't invest in speed, because you're not going to be outspeeding anything and the bulk helps.

canno

formerly The Reptile
@ A Fhaol Bhig
The set looks nice, only problem I have with it is that Rest makes you do nothing for 2 turns. I would assume Cleric Support somewhere.

@Bryne
I think I might slash in Expert Belt over Life Orb on some of the sets, mainly because LO recoil does have it's toll on the eel, and I don't think the 10% in power give you any notable KOs. Of course, I probably should do some testing first.

As for the speed, Choice Scarf actually uses the Speed investments nicely, but I think that's the only instance that speed helps, and Choice Scarf Eelekross isn't it's best.(although I have gotten the jump on certain pokemon who thought they could outspeed), but yeah, speed investments don't help at all in any other situation.

Also, how do you think a ParaShuffler set would work on Eelekross? Something like TWave/Dragon Tail/U-Turn/filler?

EDIT: I just realized I forgot to change the natures. Will fix.

A couple of other things worth mentioning,

Elektross has access to light screen, in combination of Coil raising defense he can run a pretty decent defensive set. He has both Roar and Dragon Tail as well as Toxic, Thunder Wave and Acid Spray, a move Tentacruel gets a lot of use out of on defensive sets.

Coil raising accuracy screams out for a mixed Zapcannon set, with Zapcannon, Rock Slide/Dragon Tail on the physical side and Hidden Power/U-Turn/Volt-Switch to round it out.

Elektross also has Acrobatics which tends to get forgotten about, it's not a completely terrible option as it hits grass for super-effective which otherwise resists electric and he has high attack/coil to get the most out of it.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Man, I really dislike how this thread is dead. :\

I will most likely update the OP as soon as the Smogon server stop being dead.

Oh, and I will add the Parashuffler set given by A Fhaol Bhig, as I can see it's usefulness. However, if it stays or not depends on how the tier shift treats out Eel friend.

Also, not to sure about Acrobatics. While I can see how it can be good, it's usefulness depends on him not having an item, and not having leftovers really sucks. Will make it a notable attack though.

Only good on a sub set, but after that it leaves him open to a variety of attacks within KO range.

I've used a variety of Eelektross sets in NU before the server went down and leftovers is an extremely important item if you want him in the long run. You could probably alleviate a set sans leftovers (Ebelt, Band, Flight Gem, etc.) with a wishpassing lickilicky, but once you do it the first time the jig is up.

A set that I ran into on the ladder a couple of times that I found RIDICULOUSLY aggravating was Coil / Zap Cannon / Dragon Tail / Rest. As gimmicky as it sounds, Zap Cannon really starts hurting after a while and he had hazards up, so getting phazed around by Dragon Tail was not fun at all.

That's when you just hit it as hard as you possibly can. Pretty much anything is going to 2HKO it and you just have to hit it as hard as possible after it rests. Now it's probably a whole new story if they run a chesto berry :|

When i found out Magnaton was RU i was pretty disappointed, i looked for a replacement and found this poke. The ChoiceScarf set works really well even though its base spe is 50 but it has levitate which is the icing on the cake. Plus it has alot more moves to choose from like flamethrower.

I tried this out in TR, and it works pretty well. It has no weaknesses (except in certain situations) and has good power and bulk, along with great coverage.

I liked using CB Eel with a slightly different set:

Eelektross @ Choice Band
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpAtk
Brave / Levitate

Wild Charge
Brick Break
U-turn
Volt Switch

This thing can threaten BOTH U-turn and Volt Switch, catching walls on their weaker defense. STAB on Volt Switch makes up for the fact that it doesn't have any special attacking investment. U-turn hits most of the same targets Crunch would while giving switch momentum, and Volt Switch is a nice surprise to not only bluff a Choice Specs or mixed set but to give a backup method to switch out that will keep your opponent guessing.

it's amazing that this thing dropped off the face of NU after the tier shift. I haven't seen a single Eelektross when I've laddered

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)