Metagame Effective Creative, and Underrated Sets

Stumbled upon this thread and thought I might share my sets which have brought me success in ladder and tourneys over time, and I'd love to get validation for them and/or tips on how to improve them.

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash edit: nah this is terrible

Leafeon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 152 Atk / 120 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off
- Celebrate

IMO the best user of Z-Celebrate in the tier due to its good stats and versatile moveset, this Leafeon set goes for a bulky-ish spread that at +1 reliably handles special moves in addition to already being a great physical wall.

Due to its excellent base Def stat, it can easily counter many physical attackers and set up. Leaf Blade is Leafeon's best STAB and its increased critical hit ratio is very useful when dealing with walls; Knock Off, aside from being a very splashable coverage move, can help it and its team deal with threats such as Eviolite Scyther, Eviolite Gurdurr and Band Stoutland; X-Scissor gives it extra coverage and specifically hits Persian-A, Colbur Berry Mesprit and all Lilligant variants especially hard.

236 Spe EVs puts it in a comfortable speed tier and at +1 it outspeeds positive-natured base 80 Spe Scarf users. It does get outsped by Scarf Primeape/Dodrio but it doesn't mind much since it reliably tanks their hits only to knock them off right away and create an advantage for slower team mates in case it faints. 152 Atk paired with Adamant nature is reliably strong at +1 and doesn't need any further investment to hit hard. 120 SpD allows it to withstand, especially at +1, supereffective special moves that it would otherwise get OHKOed by, most notably in my experience Sludge Bomb Roselia.

In my experience it is best used as a mid-game booster due to its ability to OHKO/2HKO many opponents and soften others, making late-game cleanup an easier task.

Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Scald

Lastly, my personal favorite set to use in any team, offensive Masquerain isn't a new or creative set by any means but it is now more viable than ever thanks to its Gen 7 stat boosts (+20 SpA, +20 Spe) which finally gives it realistic usage of its incredible moveset that allows it not only to pressure some of the meta's current threats, but also drop-ins such as Guzzlord and short-lived Fire types.

Masquerain has access to the best boosting move in the game in the form of Quiver Dance, and unlike other notable Dancers in the tier, most notably Lilligant and Bellossom, it has an extremely broad offensive moveset that allows it to hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB that at +1 deals massive damage to Lilligant, Mesprit, Claydol, Persian-A and Guzzlord just to name a few and can KO through the occasional Substitute. Air Slash is a secondary STAB that hits Fighting and Bug types especially hard and enjoys a realistic 30% flinch chance for dealing with special walls such as Clefairy and Jellicent. Scald is especially useful as a surprise moves that many players do not expect, reliably OHKOing Aggron, Flareon and Simisear and dealing serious damage to Mudsdale and Regirock. The 30% burn chance often allows it to KO Sturdy/Sash users such as Golem and Lycanroc, and shut down other physical attackers which otherwise don't mind taking hits from Masq, such as Sandslash-A. Hydro Pump is an alternative Water move that is notably stronger but the trade-offs in accuracy and lack of secondary effects make it less viable for general use.

EV spread is very straightforward; Max SpA and Spe maximize Masq's offensive presence while the remainder of the EVs go to SpD which gets boosted too. Modest nature maximizes Masquerain's attack and is preferred over Timid not only because Masquerain can't make realistic use of Life Orb/Z-Moves to boost its power but also because at +1 Modest outspeeds the majority of the unboosted metagame, while Timid does not outspeed common scarfers such as Primeape and Dodrio anyway. Focus Sash is the only item Masquerain can make usage of due to its physical frailty.

Masquerain is in my experience best used as a lead, taking advantage of the first turn to boost while opponents usually set up rocks. While against unprepared teams it can wreak utter havoc, Masquerain is generally less reliable than Lilligant which is slightly bulkier and has realistic usage of support moves and recovery. While it can take on any opponent at full health, Masq is susceptible to priority users when at 1HP. Masquerain doesn't like being Taunted and should not lead against Froslass (Do note that it doesn't mind getting taunted by Persian-A since unboosted Bug Buzz straight up OHKOes it). It also has trouble getting through especially bulky AV users for which it doesn't have supereffective coverage, most notably Drampa and Eelektross, and doesn't like Hail setters such as Aurorus which can KO it through its sash. Ideal team partners would be a hazard remover like Skuntank who can clear the way for Masq should it be used later in the game (losing 50% of its HP to rocks greatly hurts its abilities), and Electric-immune mon such as Manectric and Lanturn.

Overall, Masquerain does have severe limitations, mostly caused by its unfortunate defensive typing, but when used right it can become an invaluable team member. I'd really love to see more experienced players try using it.

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Copying Roy's format, I like it a lot, also fuck pokepastes and screenshots, takes too much time :(
Alright, I've got a lot of things to post but I can't post them all, so here are things I used in tournaments recently.

Sandslash-Alola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Nothing crazy here, offensive utility sandslash is cool because it outspeeds stuff like aggron, hitmonchan, defensive mesprit, AV lanturn etc, and hits much harder than spdef sandslash with perfect coverage (I think it almost KOs lanturn). Rockyhelmet is the selling point of this set, since usually sandslash is the normal/dark/bird "resist" (stoutland, skuntank, dodrio, scyther) and also a uturn absorber (mesprit, mesprit and mesprit mainly). I like it a lot with gurdurr for example, since it weakens mesprits that keep uturning, and is sort of a replacement of helmet skuntank that I dont like much atm. Ofc it doesnt tank any special moves, but it synergizes well with lanturn, eelektross, etc.

Skuntank @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Defog

I know this seems weird, because skunk isnt very strong and not so fast, but it's still a great scarf user in bulky teams, especially because it will always manage to defog if you want it to (whereas non-scarfs get outspeed-killed by random shit or taunted by qwilfish and froslass). It's sort of a replacement for togedemaru, checks a lot of stuff (toxicspikes, mesprit, lilligant, Froslass, and all the frail and fast attackers, still has aftermath to KO things), but slower and with different utility. I'm not a big fan of primeape in bulkier teams, and sometimes mesprit likes being CM/specs/w/e, so here goes scarf skunk.
tl;dr: froslass is broke, so scarf skunk is legit xdxd

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Toxic

I've been spamming this, it's not so hard to come up with such a set when everyone cteams brokedurr with sableye, pompom, quag, and mudsdale/mesprit as checks. Gurdurr's role is being a tank, so im not a big fan of BU gurdurr without support like pursuit/rockyhelmet. Original concept by HJAD, thanks bro!

thicc vicc (Victreebel) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Belch
- Power Whip
- Strength Sap

or

thicc vicc (Victreebel) @ Figy Berry
EVs: 188 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Power Whip
- Strength Sap

kinda poor set, thicc vicc! Seriously don't use this imo. It's only perks are: beating most stalls (or at least having a very solid matchup), and hard-checking lilligant. Belch is 120 power but you have to eat a berry first. If they knock you it wont work!
First spread: outspeeds 48speed sandslash
Second one: ohkoes lilli after rocks with pjab.

Attack:
68 Atk Victreebel Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 246-290 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

HP and Spdef:
+1 252 SpA Lilligant Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 188 HP / 252+ SpD Victreebel: 261-308 (75 - 88.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It's not 100% safe, but I would rather ohko lilli and get rid of it instead of seeing it being healingwished later on. 6% is still low

Also:
0 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 188 HP / 252+ SpD Victreebel: 132-156 (37.9 - 44.8%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 68 Atk Victreebel Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 192-226 (50.1 - 59%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(dont forget 30% poison)

Victreebel @ Rocky Helmet / Choice Specs / Metronome / Payapa Berry / Salac Berry / Petaya Berry / Custap Berry / King's Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll / Gluttony
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball / Leafstorm (if specs)
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Sleep Powder (if payapa)
- Strength Sap

Ok so that's the standard set but for teams that need victreebel AND another pokemon with a Z move (Persian, simisear...). Since victreebel's main niche is countering gurdurr, I only put items that are expected to be knocked when facing gurdurr teams. Helmet is the standard item on knock off absorbers. Also helps 1v1ing skuntank. Specs give it immediate power but is a bit trick to use because you can't use strength sap if you don't get knocked. Eball is the best grass stab, and allows you to stay in after using it unlike with leafstorm. Timid nature for stoutland.

Items:
-Helmet: great item that chips away at foes till they knock you
-Specs: strong stabs till you get knocked. Keep in mind that when you use victreebel it's supposed to be your main gurdurr (and audino) cunter, so don't use specs vic as ur main wallbreaker.
-Metronome: an item that is often useless but helps vs fatter builds.
-Payapa berry: halves psychic damage. You can stay in vs mesprit once.
-Salac: +1 speed at 50% HP thx to gluttony, can be helpful (for example if you switch into kanga's earthquake).
-Custap: +/- like salac, but you always move first at 50%, however only during one turn (and you don't outspeed prio moves). Example: you switch into scarf primeape CC and then outspeed it.
-Petaya: same but with +1 spatk: example: switch into regirock's stab.
-King's rock: all moves gain 10% flinch chance (doesnt apply to moves that already flinch).

Again, all these items are supposed to be useful early game and eventually be knocked, that's why many options are available, especially gluttony+berries since it will activate very quickly and as a bonus will reduce knock off damage later on.

Hakamo-o @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I won't bother nominating it for D rank, D rank mons arent better than unranked ones, the line between viable mons and unviable ones is blurred once you go lower than C imo, so I'm just posting the set here and that should be enough.
I already explained it in my team dump, spdef haka walls most special attackers, like lilligant, simisear, victreebel, ludicolo, eelektross, lanturn, jellicent, roselia, special skuntank etc etc. It should only used in spikes team, otherwise its just useless and doesnt pressure anything.

I'm not gonna take all the credit for it tho: I used it with roselia spikes in magmortar meta, now with qwilfish+sableye and with froslass, but I know several other players had a similar idea, without sharing it among them, which could be an argument pro-haka-for-D :
- Drop That Volbeat : used it in balance with qwilfish+sensu iirc
- Taskr : bulkup hakamo with dragontail iirc, but was offense with froslass
- tlenit1 : i assume you are the dude behind the alts using claydol+hakamoO pseudo-stall

I think it could be ranked since quite a lot of people have been using it as compared with stuff like simipour or shiinotic or natu... Tho hitmonchan often outclasses it, but haka is unique at walling simisear, victreebel, ludicolo and kabutops in rain notably.

Oh yea, the spread maximizes spdef bulk to tank non-stab icebeams and Z beam lilli, while outspeeding 48speed sandslash.

Kangaskhan @ Figy Berry
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Not much to say, but I feel like silkscarf isn't that necessary on it, and I had a lot of success with the -atk nature pinch berry, really cool to take advantage of double-edge recoil and tanking hits (mesprit, eelektross, sandslash...).

Sorry I'm too lazy to search for replays, I hope my explanations are clear. Feel free to use these sets, I haven't used them that much anyway so more experimenting by other players would be cool^^

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Modest / Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dazzling Gleam

this is legit a top notch set rn, like i've been using a lab team from what 2017 when guzz was still in the tier and it used this set and holy f is it actually great. being able to abuse like 80% of the current meta is hot, and standard stuff like guzzlord, spd alolaslash, etc. being bopped by this mon makes this set appealing af. people just seem to be using the def one and scarf but mes has a lot of breathing room right now. you can run hp fight for alolaslash, aurorus, etc but hp ground helps vs skunk. really should be used more and im glad i found this relic. yeah i know technically it's on the dex but that set had hwish and is also hella outdated tbf.

Last edited:

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Defog

I've made this work the same way a monotype psychic or dragon user would use Latios in the monotype tier
In many cases, someone would see my ice team and be ever so eager to put up rocks, only for a scarf to be flung their way, giving me the chance to remove them from my side. In cases like this, I've tricked light clays, eviolites, colbur berries, focus sashes, leftovers (and the occasional assault vest, much to my setback) from unsuspecting opponents, forcing them to have to deal with their new predicament. Over the 1+ year I've pulled this stunt, the most prominent target was the #1 used Pokemon in the tier, Mesprit, who would often run the standard issue defensive rock set.

The scarf lets it outpace a +speed Electrode, often pulling away a choice specs or light clay from it, often forcing the baller to roll with a weakened volt switch either way. It also outpaces a neutral-natured +1 Lilligant, if there was anyone bold enough to try that

im here for my biannual post to drop some wonderful sets

Wishiwashi @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn
- Scald

This is legitimately a really cool tanky pivot. Defensively it's basically a fat special sponge that can eat a few hits from almost every special attacker, even SE, but it hard walls the likes of Omastar, non-specs Mes and Guzz, Omastar, non-grassium Simisear, and eats specs blizzards. Via resttalk it ignores status so defensive mons can't touch it either, and its good phys bulk means weaker phys mons like Skuntank can't really threaten it.

The main appeal compared to Lanturn is its offensive presence coupled with a sloooooooow u-turn. Scald and U-turn with titanic stats are really difficult for most teams to switch in to- its uninvested u-turn hits harder than Primeape's, meaning Water resists like Guzzlord, Aboma and Lurantis that are weak to Bug can't really switch in, and the ones that aren't particularly bulky physically like Lanturn, Vic and Rose get a pretty significant amount of chip - like 30%.

Mons that don't care about both moves are limited to Gastro, Jelli and Poliwrath and some fat regen mons like Audino and Tangela (Qwil resists both but it takes like 30 from scald). What's important about this list is that outside of Tangela (who still only does about 35% with giga drain) none of these can actually do anything back to you, making them a free safe u-turn into the mon of your choice.

It's kinda hard to explain, but basically it either offensively pressures a large amount of common cores or forces them into giving you free switches into a breaker or sweeper. Here's some replays that might illustrate it better!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907782644 - vs a fat balance where almost none of the mons immediately threaten wishi, letting it offer free switches to rat-a and chatot to dismantle the team (more on them later......)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907768570 - Lanturn and Bellossom as water checks, lanturn can't do anything due to its weak as piss volt switch not even 4hko'ing, meaning Bellossom eats a u-turn and gets pursuit trapped, after which the team is just slowly dismantled

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907740665 - walls a specs Omastar, burns and cripples a silv-fairy with a burn. then denying it momentum with slow u-turn

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907510202 - pivots out of Lanturn for it to get trapped and eats a Manectric thunderbolt at the end to win the game

It's not the easiest mon to build around due to its lack of essential utility (basically hazard/control if we're being real), but it's a very useful pivot if you have the space.

bon appetit bébé (Raticate-Alola) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit

- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge

I posted about this like 90 years ago but I think it's Rat's best set right now by far. As a sweeper it functions like Normalium Lilli - use the Z-move to break through the mandatory Fat Normal Resist and then use main STAB and Sucker to sweep. The difference to standard Rat is of course dropping Knock Off for Pursuit, which imo brings much more mid-game utility to it and applies more pressure. No one expects SD and Pursuit on the same set, so revealing SD often gives you a chance to use pursuit and vice versa.

Also cool is that teams with the likes of Quag and Gurdurr can get bold and let you set up on something like Audino or Sableye for the sake of a wish or knock, because they know they have something in the back for you. When they do this you can trap them with a +2 pursuit which is kinda hilarious.

Replays! This is kinda hard to show off in one replay because often in one game it will use one half of the set or the other - be a pursuiting AoA mon or a set up sweeper. That's kinda where the power comes from!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-908280520 - Fat takes out 4/6 mons with pursuit mid game and sd late game

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907772732 - Pursuit traps a specs jelli immediately, chunks a silv-fairy with BHE, revenges a Ludi then sweeps with SD late game.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907745783 - Pursuit traps a weakened Victreebel before setting up on a Mudsdale and killing it, setting up more on a Sableye and pursuit trapping it, and then killing a Gurdurr and Skunk.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907734439 - Pursuit traps a Scyther before setting up and killing a Rapidash

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907846360 - A game without using SD, Rat just pursuit traps a Ludi and takes out a Metang.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-909083155 - Just does normal SD rat things and takes out a Tangela and Persian from a stall team

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Chatter
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I'm a bit more tentative about this one because I realise it's on a team where I give it kind of the most support possible- free switches with Wishi, Tailwind with Silv-F (heat btw) and Pursuit with Rat, but I still think it's decent on its own merits. Because of Stout's presence a lot of teams use physically fat normal resists without relying too much on Ghost types, which is something a Specs Boomburst can take advantage of because it does upwards of 40% to SpDef Sandslashes and non-spdef Regis. Ghosts really are the only thorn in its side because with them out the way not much stops it clicking boomburst and nabbing a kill every time it gets in. It's just a nuke with meta trends in its favour, not too much to it really!

Also Chatter lets you meme things sometimes. Anyway here's the replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-908574416 - vs a very fat balance-y team, breaks Spiritomb with Chatter and then literally just clicks Boomburst to win

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-908258015 - skillfully dodges a rock slide from Mudsdale (doesn't kill if not invested though) and then clicks boomburst with some Tailwind support to take out a few mons

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907846360 - think I posted this one before but it clicks Boomburst with tailwind to sweep

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-907782644 - you really just be clicking boomburst

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-908260175 - vs a stall team without a normal resist which goes as you would expect

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-908282522 - does 70 to a Sandslash with resisted Boomburst and then revenges a set up Gurdurr late game

We all know that in PU, there is this pressure exerted by the Fight types which often forces us to run several resistances or counters in order to be able to easily manage the opponent Gurdurr for example. However, it is not only this Pokémon that can hinder the builds. Archetypes, certainly predictable but popular as the teams based on the weather can quickly defeat an unprepared player. That's why today I propose this set of my design.

ALTAGOD (Altaria) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Cloud Nine
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Moonblast

- Fire Blast

As you can see, this set is focused on the offensive (which differs with what people generally see as set for Altaria). The maximum investment in speed allows him to overtake Stoutland, Kabutops, Qwilfish and Skuntank Adamant as well as Victreebel and Ludicolo Timid. This Altaria also exceeds Sandslash-A full speed. Draco Meteor is the main STAB and does very good damage, especially with Dragonium-Z. Fire Blast is used to touch Sand-A but can also be used against Plant, Steel and Ice types. Moonblast may seem unnecessary, but it is not. Thanks to this attack, you can say goodbye to the Sableye and Gurdurr of the opponent. It also helps defeat Guzzlord without the need to spend a Z-Move or have Draco Meteor malus. Roost is here for longevity and makes great use of Altaria's defensive statistics.

This set is formidable because, in addition to providing a considerable surprise effect, offers an interesting MU against the teams centered on the weather due to his talent and against other threats of the tier such as Gurdurr, Eelektross, Sableye Mudsdale, Simisear and Victreebel mostly. Its relevant resistances, due to a particular double type, allow it to integrate a team easily.

Finally, even if the Special Attack of Altaria is only 70, it does not change the effectiveness of the set as these calculations and replays show:
Stoutland
252 SpA Altaria Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Stoutland: 232-274 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gurdurr
252 SpA Altaria Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 160-190 (42.7 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Sableye
252 SpA Altaria Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sableye: 194-230 (64 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ludicolo
252 SpA Altaria Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ludicolo: 211-250 (70.5 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mudsdale
252 SpA Altaria Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mudsdale: 244-288 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mudsdale: 162-192 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
You can 2HKO it if Muds doesn't have any Leftovers uwu
Thanks to tlenit1 who tested the set on teams that we made together
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928081986 Oops, Sand-A isn't that fast anymore :] Maybe that Hail wasn't that great for the ladder buddy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-929252352 Offensive Altaria putting some nice pressure against the enemy
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-929444421 The perfect example of a Sun team getting rekt ez by Altigod... It can also blocks Solar Beam users
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928341988 Never again you will want to play the duo made of Gurdurr + Guzzlord (it get 6-0 by Offensive Altaria, come on)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928834624 Weakening the opponent Mudsdale and Sableye for a later sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928945340 Who would fears the mighty Stoutland when it is dead
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928563898 2 turns 2 kills overall a big clutch mon

S/o to Tlenit who encouraged me to do this post and without whom I would never have had the motivation to do so. Thank you everyone for your time and see you soon for the next unset!

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion

Ohhhhh Crap - I mean Crab - as you might have seen a small sneak peak already from Urusius post, I'm following up with my trademark (as the team were build around these two mons, offensive altaria and crab): Scarf Crabominable. Crabominable definitely can wear running shoes to help it outspeed common threats. I have now used this almost a full year and during the tier shifts, now might be its shiniest spot in the meta.

Crabominable @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Hammer
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch / Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Thunder Punch

Scarf Crabominable isn't the fastest mon on the table but that's not what it's post to do. Scarf allows it to outspeed all the heaviest trucks in the tier and base speed 86's and slowers. Thanks to its MASSIVE attack stat, respectively good double stabs and coverage Crabby pretty much OHKOes or atleast 2hkoes them and keeps up the pressure without problem. Crabs hit list includes for example: Articuno, both Rotoms, Pinsir, Stoutland, Adamant Kanga, Skuntank, Ludicolo, Lanturn, A-Slash, Aggron, Aurorus, Abomasnow, Kabutops and more. Even "the switch ins" like gurdurr, defensive mesprit, qwilfish all are taking massive chip and its outspeeding every single of them.

Fresh replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928246682 early game breaker and end game clean up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928574478 Jellicent out and Crabby starts giving high fives
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928554498 Jellicent again out and draining opponent dry
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-928341988 ☆legospoorbiels: wtf m8 ☆legospoorbiels: just why

The Old ones lol:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-762215884 end game clean up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-762280231 end game clean up

252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Stoutland: 324-384 (104.1 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aggron: 360-424 (128.1 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 422-498 (131.4 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 360-426 (102.5 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Frost: 282-332 (117 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Rotom-Fan: 284-336 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Crabominable Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 444-524 (138.3 - 163.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 265-313 (88.6 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 288-338 (110.3 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Crabominable Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 306-362 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Crabominable Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 342-404 (87.4 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Crabominable Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir: 220-260 (81.1 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 350-414 (86.6 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Common switch ins by experience:
-1 252 Atk Crabominable Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Qwilfish: 170-200 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Fairy: 207-244 (60.3 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mesprit: 139-165 (38.1 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 212 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 121-144 (32.3 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Crabominable Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
If thunderpunch is included, jellicent is clean 2hko as well.

Personally I have almost always ran Crab with drain punch+stone edge. Especially drain punch lets it regain health from switching in first to aurorus blizzard and OHKOing back when Aurorus trying to claim "free kill". Most often I have gave up stone edge for thunder punch if there's nothing else available to kill water types. Crabby itself is imo easy to include in offensive teams with another scarfer to keep pressure up

Shoutouts ofc to the kLines itself again for being always supporting crab and to urusius for building the fresh replay team with me as you seems to be extremely open minded for all kind of stuff

Last edited:
On Smogon, there is this grim tendency to trust only things that are officially recognized as viable and relevant. The most innovative always know where to go in order to find new answers to the main threats of PU and are willing to go discomfort areas. The problem arises when those who rely on trends tend not to go off the beaten track and fall back and forth on the same Pokemon to adapt to the changing tier, leaving behind some specimens that yet have their place in the metagame. I take for example the set of Gurdurr full spe def which is more and more popular while it loses all the advantages that it has in PU in Physical Defense, all that to gain some MU. There is, however, a Pokemon that does what is expected from this set, but better. Yet, you'll rarely see it in a team. Today, I would like to introduce you to one who has long been forgotten, who has great potential but who has often been judged unfairly inferior to other top tier.

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 128 HP / 104 Def / 148 SpD / 128 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off

This is a classic Bulk Up set but with Substitute. Substitute helps to abuse of passive/resisted mons as well as to protect Throh from status. This move can also be used to abuse of mons like Guzzlord and its Draco Meteor malus. Knock Off is here for the coverage and provides a nice answer to Psychic/Ghost types that could threaten it. It also neutralize the Eviolite on the opponent Pokemon. Storm Throw is the STAB that deals decent damage and gives a good opportunity to win against Stamina Mudsdale and the Bulk Up war vs Gurdurr. The spread is useful to outspeed any non invested Pokemon at 60 of base speed. Thanks to its ability and its decent bulk, this Pokemon get a great MU against stalls, slow offensive mons and a lot of cool stuff. This set is definitely nice and can be pretty effective right now as these replays and calculations show:

Pokemon that you can set up on (all 158 of speed and below):
1- Audino
0 Atk Audino Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 128 HP / 104+ Def Throh: 21-25 (5 - 6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
2- Regirock
0 Atk Regirock Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 104+ Def Throh: 67-79 (16.2 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
3- Gastrodon
0 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Throh: 106-126 (23.8 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
4- Spiritomb (CroTomb)
+6 0 SpA Spiritomb Black Hole Eclipse (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Throh: 268-316 (60.3 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
5- Tangela
0 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 128 HP / 148 SpD Throh: 79-94 (19.1 - 22.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
6- Quagsire
0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 104+ Def Throh: 87-103 (21 - 24.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
7- Ferroseed
0 Atk Ferroseed Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 128 HP / 104+ Def Throh: 87-103 (21 - 24.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

The others
1- Lycanroc
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Splintered Stormshards vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Throh: 216-255 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2- Cryogonal defensive
0 SpA Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 128 HP / 148 SpD Throh: 70-84 (16.9 - 20.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
3- Sandslash-A defensive
0 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 128 HP / 104+ Def Throh: 85-102 (20.5 - 24.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
4- Persian-A
+2 252 SpA Persian-Alola Dark Pulse vs. 128 HP / 148 SpD Throh: 88-104 (21.3 - 25.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
5- Froslass
0 SpA Froslass Ice Beam vs. 128 HP / 148 SpD Throh: 78-93 (18.8 - 22.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even if this set doesn't work in the future, I sure hope that Throh will receive some recognition one day, especially if you take in count the potentiel departure of Mesprit and Gurdurr + the comeback of Ferroseed (which can only make it better). S/o to ma boi Tlenit who shows me this awesome set and thanks to Slowbroth for the wonderful spread! Thank you for your time and see you again for the next unset!

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Hello friends again, without longer speeches I'm introducing you this:

Regirock @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Explosion / Stealth Rocks / Toxic

Regirock seems to be little forgotten on offensive pressure as it's pretty much only used as a stealth rocker and to be physical wall. Anyhow Regirock has good base 100atk stat, extremely good bulk even without investment and nice coverage thanks to EQ and Drain punch that keeps it healthy at the same time. Main stab stone edge alone deals good chunk against anything that doesnt resist it which means its not the easiest one to switch in. Explosion is there to say last good bye (or make a trade with opponent defensive walls like mudsdale, quagsire) and take somebody with him to grave as ice punch couldnt bring anything mention worthy. Stealth rocks and toxic can be used as good bluff moves.

88 speed investment is to outspeed non -speed nature tangelas and rest to HP since there is nothing else really worth to outspeed. HP investment helps at the same time to absorb hits little better. Ability clear body keeps it hitting as hard as possible and is not shut down by parting shotters and intimidate users like qwill, a-persian, mawile and silvallys

252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Qwilfish: 340-402 (101.7 - 120.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Froslass: 594-702 (173.1 - 204.6%) (if its burned it can even then OHKO froslass)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aggron: 360-424 (128.1 - 150.8%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aggron: 272-320 (96.7 - 113.8%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Audino: 252-298 (61.6 - 72.8%) (explosion is OHKO)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Explosion vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 328-387 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 299-352 (75.8 - 89.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 286-338 (109.5 - 129.5%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 225-265 (83 - 97.7%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 182-215 (60.2 - 71.1%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eelektross: 270-318 (72.1 - 85%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Stone Edge vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Fairy: 234-276 (68.2 - 80.4%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 170-200 (50.8 - 59.8%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 384-452 (131.9 - 155.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Regirock Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mesprit: 159-187 (43.6 - 51.3%)

Im not including too many explosion rolls as most of them are clean OHKO when ever you decide to let it go

Regirocks role is to keep offensive pressure up and make hole's in opponents team for your late game fast sweepers. Regi itself is pretty good lead as it keeps opponent guessing whats coming and in case they believe you being defensive, you autoclaim free kill. Good partners in crime to keep chipping up is for example victreebell, altaria and roselia as they all covers the main defensive walls tangela, gurdurr, quagsire, mudsdale and has access to recover themselves at the same time (+ covers ground, fighting, water and grass moves).

Special s/o to Mind Gaming and FPPU with whom we came up the idea and started to rock this bad boy!

Hopefully you guys enjoyed and looking forward to see you again perhaps soon!

Kabutops is a Pokemon very little played outside the rain. This observation has always left me perplexed, especially when we look at his statistics, his talent Weak Armor and his interesting movepool. It is legitimate to say that it is in direct competition with some Water or Rock types of tier who possess an undeniable offensive efficiency like Lycanroc or Carracosta. However, with the arrival of Ferroseed among us, Lycanroc can not be so effective while Carracosta is faced with a threat that leaves him no longer exploit his set Shell Smash Mixed that was feared. It is time for Kabutops to find itself, the time of a post, in the spotlight.

Kabutops @ Choice Band
Ability: Weak Armor / Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Superpower / Knock Off

Nothing really extravagant with this set. Kabutops is equipped with the Choice Band which gives it an excellent power with his good Attack. Full investment in Speed allows Kabutops to outspeed Adamant Skuntank and Stoutland. Main stab Stone Edge alone deals good chunk against anything that doesn't resist it, which means its not the easiest one to switch in. Liquidation hits hard any bulky Ground/Rock/Fight/Steel types that could resist to Stone Edge. Superpower is here to beat Ferroseed, OHKO Aggron, opponent Kabutops and Sand-A. Knock Off is a decent alternative to this move too. Knock Off hits Tangela and Gurdurr and you 2HKO them respectively. Finally, Aqua Jet pressures well any fast glass cannon Pokemon like Dodrio, Manectric, Cinccino Simisear and Lycanroc for example. It can also just be use to revenge kill weakened foes.

The purpose of the set is to keep offensive pressure up and make hole's in opponents team for your late game fast sweepers. With Weak Armor yet, this Pokemon can become itself a sweeper. By switching on resisted/weak moves or on any none threatening physical Pokemon (thanks to its great physical defense), Kabutops can become a big danger for the opponent with Weak Armor that boost its Speed at +2, which allows it to outspeed every Scarf users. Silvally-Fairy, Stoutland, Kangaskhan, Dodrio, Skuntank, Scyther, Sand-A and Ferro are perfect to boost Kabutops. Weak Armor also exploits well any U-Turn, Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball and Fake Out.

Thanks to tlenit1 who tested the set on teams that we made together
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-938506644 Weak Armor oof
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-938525193 Gastrodon? No problem
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-938513434 No good physical tank, no win

252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Superpower vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Gastrodon: 173-204 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aggron: 428-508 (152.3 - 180.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Regirock: 170-204 (46.7 - 56%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 338-398 (83.6 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Qwilfish: 256-303 (76.6 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 184-218 (63 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Kabutops Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lycanroc: 254-302 (87.2 - 103.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Kabutops @ Figy Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation

Bonus set! I really think that Kabu has a great potentiel as an offensive spinner. Stealth Rock is a good option too but it suffers from a lot of competition due to the existence of SR Lycanroc/Omastar but I guess it still has its interests. Both Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock can be played but I personally prefer Knock Off with the presence of Ferroseed in the tier so you can neutralize its Eviolite (it also works with Tangela and Gurdurr too) and other stuff. Full investment in Speed allows Kabutops to outspeed Adamant Skuntank and Stoutland. Figy Berry can be used as a single-use form of recovery that can restore a substantial amount of health after it gets worn down or potentially allow Kabutops to avoid a 2HKO. With Swift Swim, you are able to pressure rain teams easily if needed.

Last edited:

sugar ovens

blood inside
is a Top Tiering Contributor
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/volbeat.gif

Volbeat (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic
- Encore

I have occasionally used Volbeat since the beginning of USUM and this might be the right time to drop it here, to tell all fellow connoisseurs of slow physdef U-turning that everything is not lost. Volbeat is a very reliable Fighting check capable of walling a lot of random stuff, chipping Pokémon with helmet-toxic-U-Turn and providing momentum.

The set is self-explanatory. Slow U-turn, priority healing move, the only move that migh seem mildly unusual is Toxic which is just much more useful than Thunder Wave, as it allows Volbeat to actually beat the Pokémon it walls. Encore is a move of immense utility, you just have to accept that Volbeat is not a Ditto and that it will not save your team from all setup sweepers. You can use Defog instead of Toxic if you want a reliable, although a bit matchup-reliant hazard control (note that it actually beats or at least heavily chips most of our Dark types)

Hey guys! So I am just here to share a set that I have had lots of success with lately in this meta and I really hope people recognize this as viable and give it more usage.

Grumpig @ Mago Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 196 Def / 132 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Recycle
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave / Taunt / Calm Mind

So, this set was created while KellyKafka and I were building for PU Open r5 (we are a goat duo). I was trying to figure out the easiest way to fit a Victreebel, Hailcore, and Fire Type answer in one slot and somehow I miraculously came up with something, and it was this. Yes, Grumpig reliably checks/counters these threats while also staying pretty healthy throughout the match with Recycle+Mago Berry. It also has an added advantage of being a threat to walls with taunt, and checking fighting types like a chipped Gurdurr, as well as Hitmonchan. The EV's allow it to outspeed and ohko Victreebel, 2HKO Assault Vest Hitmonchan, and survive two pursuits from choice scarf and physical Defog Skuntank and activate Mago Berry.

This set is useful as a glue mon on Balance and Bulky Offense Teams. Some tips are to make sure you have an actual Fighting Type counter and Knock Off absorber, avoid Knock Off at all costs, be wary of certain damage calcs and try to not stay in the 26-50% range if possible, as this set cannot afford to use Gluttony. Also, make sure you have another switchin to Victreebel because this pokemon is meant to check it and only SOMEWHAT switch in to it. It does not appreciate Bloom Doom whatsoever. If you take all of this into consideration when building and playing, this pokemon will work wonders for you! I used it in round 5 of the PU Open and was very pleased with its performance.

I hope you guys try Grumpig yourself, expect a viability ranking post in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen a proper post on this set so I thought I'd showcase it here:

Musharna @ Colbur Berry / Psychium Z / Fairium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 164 Def / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Healing Wish
- Moonlight

So I came across this set when talking with cool dude ShwiftyShiftry (aka z3ll1) who gave it to me a couple weeks ago. At first glance, Future Sight may seem inferior to something like Psychic or Psyshock, but it's primary purpose is to provide support for teammates, specifically those that 1. are checked/countered by Fighting-types and 2. need to set up. By setting up Future Sight and then immediately switching into one of these teammates you are given a much safer opportunity to set up, knowing that opponents can't switch into a check/counter without dying or at least receiving heavy chip damage.

Despite the fact that Musharna is basically the only viable user of Future Sight, I would probably consider this an archetype - entire teams can be built around this concept, and I have done so. Here are some of the cores I've been enjoying most:

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 160 Def / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Hydro Pump

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 160 Def / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

Absol @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

I imagine this set has some customisation: for example, combining Future Sight with Calm Mind allows you to use Future Sight turn 1, set up Calm Mind twice, and due to how Future Sight works in the newer gens it will hit for double damage. The spread itself is unconventionally Max Sp. Atk and Modest, but this is to ensure maximum damage output from Future Sight, and the Speed investment is to outspeed base 40s such as Gurdurr. Finally, credits to gum for creating the concept.

I hope this post has answered people's questions about Future Sight Musharna, and encourages people to try it out. Enjoy!

Last edited:

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Let's hope a mod doesn't see the images (i own the thread dumbo)

Simisage is a very underrated Grass mon so here are some cool sets I've been using.

Simisage @ Normalium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Beam
- Nasty Plot

This set has seen some usage in snake apparently and I'm the guy taking credit for it. It was a set I've been messing with since the Lilligant ban as a somewhat replacement, even if it doesn't fulfill all the Lilligant Standards. However, the main niche of my set is based on Lilligant, that being Z-Hyper Beam. On top of the great coverage from its Grass STAB of choice and Focus Blast, Hyper Beam is able to hit many resistances to the two such as Oricorio-Pom-Pom and Victreebel. Its just a solid wincon if you're looking for a Grass mon that's a faster alternative to Bellossom.

+2 252 SpA Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Mudsdale: 402-474 (99.5 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Simisage Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 342-404 (87.4 - 103.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Simisage Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 310-366 (106.1 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Simisage Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victreebel: 480-565 (159.4 - 187.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Simisage Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 480-565 (135.9 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Simisage @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide

This is pretty much standard mixed AoA but with Acrobatics. The idea of the set is that Gluttony allows the pinch berry to activate and in the process doubling the power of Acrobatics. Acrobatics allows Simisage to hit Victreebel hard, as well as some other random targets like Hitmonchan and Pinsir. The recovery also helps Simisage to switch into hazards or resisted attacks like Mudsdale's Earthquake.

252 Atk Simisage Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victreebel: 280-330 (93 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Simisage Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victreebel: 280-330 (93 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Simisage Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Simisage Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 198-234 (73 - 86.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Simisage @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 56 HP / 220 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Spiky Shield / Leech Seed / Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
I'd bold like everything for this set lol

You can pretty much put SubToxic on any fast mon lol. What makes this mon special is its ability to threaten out foes in fear of its AoA set and set up a Substitute. Furthermore, it has access to Spiky Shield and Leech Seed, which can both further wear down the foe. You can also run Hidden Power Fire as a way to hit mons like Victreebel and Ferroseed, but I'd personally rather stick to one of the other two. The EVs make the HP one above being divisible by 4, Speed creep Swanna, and the rest put into Special Attack in order to get the 2HKO on mons like Mudsdale and Regirock.

220 SpA Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Mudsdale: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
220 SpA Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Mudsdale: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
220 SpA Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Regirock: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
220 SpA Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Regirock: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
220 SpA Simisage Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 156-184 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
220 SpA Simisage Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victreebel: 142-168 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

boo.

Last edited:

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Hi! Its been a while since Ive posted on Smogon as a whole and what better way to resume than to post some of the sets Ive been using during my break. This meta is filled with available options for players to get creative, and while some of these options arent the most optimal or intuitive in some scenarios, they definitely fulfill a purpose in this meta and are able to shake games up. Hopefully some of these sets are useful to the reader and without further ado Imma present some of them:

Kepleon (Kecleon) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 192 Atk / 56 SpA / 88 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Fire Blast / Grass Knot

Kecleon has always been an interesting option in this meta thanks to its ability, moveset and decent bulk. In a meta filled with Pokemon such as Victreebel and Mudsdale, it never hurts to have some lures in a mon like this, which can easily afford to give up a moveslot for some coverage and still be able to function succesfully.

The option of Fire Blast is able to lure in Grass-types such as Victreebel and Tangela, effectively putting Vic in range of Shadow Sneak prior to rocks. This is great for neutralizing one of the most popular Fighting-checks in the tier and makes Kecleon even harder to switch into!

Grass Knot is another option that Ive been playing around with. With the suggested spread the player is able to 2HKO physical walls such as Mudsdale and Regirock after rocks. This is of course more of a testament to the weakness of Kecleon, but it is still a great lure that allows Kecleon to help remove some very threatening Pokemon off the field, allowing a physical sweeper or even a Pokemon such as Primeape to sweep in the end game.

I must also be noted that despite the drop in the Attack EVs, Kecleon is still able to reliably check or counter Specially Offensive threats such as Eelektross, Rotom-F, Aurorus, Raichu-A, and others. Note that this Kecleon also has some Speed investment added since the earlier spread actually Speed tied with Drampa, which I personally consider quite dangerous. Ofc sometimes theyre running more but this is the max I feel like Kecleon can affort unless it wants to fulfill some of the previously mentioned roles with less efficiency.

56 SpA Protean Kecleon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victreebel: 230-272 (76.4 - 90.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

56 SpA Protean Kecleon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 230-272 (68.8 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

56 SpA Protean Kecleon Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Mudsdale: 186-222 (46 - 54.9%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

56 SpA Protean Kecleon Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Regirock: 174-206 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Komala @ Assault Vest
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 160 HP / 72 Atk / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Return
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Komala has always been a strange Pokemon. Till Cryo dropped, it was one of the only mons that were able to reliably switch into Lass and force it out, hence allowing it to Spin. The reason why I decided to create this set was very specific to the team I was running. I needed a Specially defensive mon that was able to remove hazards and potentially pivot. Of course these are incredibly specific requirements, but the efficiency of Komala has surprised be and I thought that this was worth showcasing.

The Speed allows you to outspeed max Speed Modest Drampa, HP allows you to avoid a 2HKO from Specs Aurorus (I know this can be kinda sad but Specs Aurorus literally 2HKOs almost every Sp. Def mon bar like Type:Null). The Attack investment allows Komala to 2HKO Aurorus, Froslass, Rotom-F and Articuno after Stealth Rock damage, and finally U-Turn makes it so Komala isnt a huge momentum drain and also provided much needed pivoting for the build I was talking about. Definitely not the most optimal in most situations spinner, but one that does a surprisingly good job at keeping hazards off the field and taking hits.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Blizzard vs. 160 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 123-145 (39.5 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage

72 Atk Komala Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurorus: 170-202 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Rotom-Frost Blizzard vs. 160 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 78-93 (25 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

72 Atk Komala Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Frost: 124-146 (51.4 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

72 Atk Komala Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eelektross: 160-189 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

72 Atk Komala Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Froslass: 172-204 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

This might look a bit weird, and I definitely feel like Will-O is a solid option as well, but Hidden Power Fire is mostly a nice tech for allowing Rotom-F to fulfill the role of a hazard remover even better, safely securing a 2HKO on Ferroseed. You already beat it 1v1 with Z Blizzard into Blizzard normally, but it often comes at the cost of losing most of the health from this powerful Defogger and wallbreaker. It also helps to catch Pokemon like Sandslash-A on the switch. While youre definitely able to threaten these mons with Will-O as an option, Ive found it very handy not to have to waste my Z on these bulky mons and simply nuke offensive threats with the Z after said bulky Pokemon have been lured.

Beheeyem @ Psychium Z / Buginium Z
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Finally I wanna show an updated version of a Pokemon EviGaro and I had been playing around with during Guzz era. The spread we had utilized back then was meant to beat Guzzlord at +2 but without the added Speed in the current meta, Behee can resort to be even bulkier and still deal great amounts of damage. Truly Musharna has taken off in the last month as a great bulky Psychic with the option of Future Sight, but Behee does not stay behind due to its great power, only boosted by Analytic. Just a nice option if youre looking to try out something new! (This mon also really bops stall as shown by calcs).

+2 0 SpA Beheeyem Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 364-430 (97.3 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+2 0 SpA Analytic Beheeyem Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 40 HP / 248+ SpD Lanturn: 510-600 (127.1 - 149.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 0 SpA Beheeyem Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 361-426 (88.2 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 0 SpA Analytic Beheeyem Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 471-555 (135.3 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Beheeyem: 180-212 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Primeape U-turn vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Beheeyem: 130-154 (36.7 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 0 SpA Analytic Beheeyem Psychic vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 235-277 (73.2 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 0 SpA Beheeyem Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 187-222 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 0 SpA Analytic Beheeyem Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 216-255 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 0 SpA Analytic Beheeyem Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Oricorio-Sensu: 408-481 (115.5 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 0 SpA Beheeyem Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 186-220 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thats all Ive got for now! Hope some of these are valuable in your teambuilding or free up even more options worth exploring! A lot of these are really fun and functional, so I hope they spice up your playing experience a bit more or at least allow you to take a deeper look into some niche Pokemon with huge potential. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Regice @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Rest

I mostly used this set a few metas ago, but the idea behind it I still think is neato. This set is built upon the fact that Regice has really good natural bulk, and most players will need to resort to chip damage, hazards, and status to wear it down throughout the match. With a chestorest set, regice gives up its lategame cleaner role in order to become a midgame tank, switching into scaring away mons like ludicolo, alolaslash, and mudsdale, and being able to clean away any damage.

Dedenne @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cheek Pouch
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recycle
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Super Fang

Yes this is a meme but its a fun and like... bordering on sorta viable one. And it's the end of the generation so it's a perfect time to leave you all with a good meme! Electric/Fairy is a kinda godly typing in PU and gives Dedenne has a great matchup against a tonne of prominent threats - Eel, Gurdurr, Hitmon, Primeape, Dod and Oricorio. Sounds great! But what stops this being legit good is that you need to eat your berry before you can effectively check Eel and Gurdurr because Knock Off is a broke move and cuts off your recovery completely.

So yeah, carefully played it checks a bunch of top tier threats. What makes it almost worth running is that the combination of Volt, Toxic and Super Fang is really irritating for teams to switch into. If you try to block the Volt Switch you're typically resorting to Mudsdale or Lanturn, both of which lack recovery and so are crippled by the instant HP halving of Super Fang. If they try to play around the Super Fang by switching in another mon you can typically Volt out of danger before they can attack thanks to Dedenne's good speed tier (EVs beat base 85s), or thanks to the automatic recovery of sitrus+cheek pouch you can often stomach a hit, recover hp and switch out simultaneously. Toxic irritates everything else.

Have replays but none that are especially convincing, so you'll just have to trust me that this set is almost ok :blobwizard:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 92 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Toxic

72+ Atk Guts Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Cryogonal: 270-320 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I know I am personally stupid enough to throw 8 def evs into defense instead of special attack and be blood juicy wanting to spin with my homie Cryogonal and this gurdurr kicks the door in and says fuck You, Your team, and the Hope's of wins this game? I'm keeping up hazards, I'm toxicing that team mate who is anyone but haunter, that's not a good mon, but You might have to sack this gurdurr to a haunter who knew You didn't have knock off. You do run the risk that their heal beller isn't a normal type who toxics gurdurr also

72+ Atk Guts Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Lickilicky: 308-366 (72.8 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and toxic damage

Big tongue is hella bulky and screwed

This creeps base 50 by 2 points, we don't need to involve this gurdurr with the crazy 141 battle, let kel be fast then us, same with drampa, he needs us weaken first or hard darco and they get involved in wild speed tier relationships also, it's unpredictable.

Stoutland isn't running over teams either, feel triggered

Last edited:
I know Gen 7 PU is over, but I just wanted to post these sets as a way to close out the meta and year.

Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Liquidation / Scald
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Mixed Swanna is no joke. Liquidation is there to hit Eelektross noticeably harder on the switch (as opposed to Scald), and Brave Bird is there for its reliablity, since Hurricane is known for its low accuracy. Swanna's crowning moment was when it OHKOed a Cryogonal with Supersonic Skytrike on the switch-in, because the opponent probably expected Z-Hurricane instead. Also, Liquidation can wear down special walls given its chance to drop Defense by one stage. However, I still mention Scald because it can threaten stuff like AlolaSlash and Sableye with burns.

252 Atk Swanna Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eelektross: 127-151 (33.9 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Swanna Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 141-166 (39.9 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Swanna Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 409-483 (112.6 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Swanna Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jellicent: 219-258 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
Happiness: 0
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Frustration
- Roar
- Rest

Roar is a great utility move that turns Type: Null into a catch-all special tank that can LITERALLY check any special sweeper in the tier, even Ghost-types like Haunter and Oricorio-Sensu. This is because Roar prevents common setup sweepers like Omastar, Musharna, and Simisear from taking advantage of Type: Null's passive nature. U-turn is also a fantastic utility move, as it permits Type: Null to generate momentum even if its taunted by stuff like Jellicent or Sableye.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Protect

So Toxic is not exactly an uncommon move on Ferroseed, but this set is more unconventional in that it lacks Gyro Ball, thereby making Ferroseed completely passive. Now, it tends not to be a good thing to have zero-attacking moves, because if you get taunted, you're completely screwed. On other hand, when you take a closer look at it, Gyro Ball is Ferroseed's weakest move out of the five. Stealth Rock is there because it's a necessity, Leech Seed is there to add to Ferroseed's otherwise poor longevity, Toxic is there to pressure fellow Grass-types or offensive threats like Gurdurr on the switch-in, and Protect is there to rack up Toxic/Leech Seed damage and to scout for Primeape's Close Combat. What does Gyro Ball do? It hits Pokemon for an amount of damage that Leech Seed + Toxic + Protect can easily do. Like, when is Gyro Ball ever more useful than Toxic? When slow threats like Eelektross or Drampa switch in, you probably wish you were running Toxic over Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball does minimal damage to Taunt users such as Oricorio-E, Sableye, and Jellicent anyways. The only exception where Gyro Ball is more effective is when you are facing Taunt Lycanroc (and maybe Ursaring or Zangoose).

tl;dr: Gyro Ball isn't useful on Ferroseed in 95% of scenarios. Toxic can pressure foes like Torterra, Eelektross, Drampa, Gurdurr, and many others in a way that Gyro Ball can't. I know this set isn't exactly the most creative or anything, but the next one surely is.

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 56 Atk / 208 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Lo and behold, the premier offensive Silvally-Ground! Mixed Silvally-Ground with Swords Dance may sound like an awful idea at first, but let's take a look at the positives. Silvally-Ground is one of the few Pokemon in the tier with viable Ice-/Ground coverage, so it can potentially mimic the style of Mamoswine, which happens to be extremely dangerous in UU (largely because of its wonderful coverage). Electivire is another mon with the coveted coverage, but it sucks in that it somehow lacks the power to use it correctly (power creep at its finest). Silvally is different in that it has Swords Dance. Multi-Attack is a solid STAB Ground-type move that threatens the likes of many Pokemon including Lanturn, Aurorus, AlolaSlash, Aggron, Skuntank, etc. Silvally-Ground really struggles with Grass-types, most notably Tangela and Torterra. This is why it runs Ice Beam, a clean 2HKO on both that also 3HKOes standard Mudsdale. At this point, there are still quite a few mons that don't really fear Silvally: Eelektross, Articuno, Ludicolo, Abomasnow, and some others. These Pokemon share one thing in common; they can't live a +2 Explosion. Explosion is a gimmicky move that most people avoid running, but based on my personal experiences, I can promise you that its raw power and surprise factor more than makes up for it. And there you have it, a Silvally-Ground specially designed to take down as many threats as possible. When played correctly, this thing is almost like Arceus-Ground itself.

220 SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 208-246 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
220 SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Torterra: 352-416 (106.3 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
220 SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Torterra: 352-416 (89.5 - 105.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
220 SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Mudsdale: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
220 SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 194-230 (51.8 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
220 SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Lurantis: 170-200 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sandslash-Alola: 338-398 (95.4 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 159-187 (36.5 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eelektross: 438-516 (117.1 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 364-429 (95 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino: 411-484 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Gastrodon: 431-508 (101.1 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Lurantis: 281-331 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 291-343 (66.8 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (how?)
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 262-309 (81.1 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (for the LOLs, I wish it was in PU)
+2 56 Atk Silvally-Ground Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 311-367 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Merry Christmas

Leni

formerly tlenit
RUPL Champion
Hi everyone,

Gen7 pu is pretty much done for me so here I am writing one of the very last posts what comes to underrated, creative and extremely small niche sets.

I find this as a good spot to reveal all the "good shit" I have been running for last year. Either on top ladder or in a tournaments, some you might recognize already but i promise, there will be some new ones that you might have missed.

Will have bunch of one liners and not gonna include calcs, because there will be a LOT of stuff.

I will start off with my latest fav. and follow up with a random order
1577409986720.png

Crabominable @ Never-Melt Ice
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Hammer

Crabster was created during snake and Never Melt Ice + Adamant idea was to be faster than jellicent and still be able to 2hko it. Speed allows you to click buttons vs. slower backbones and substitute is extremely free whenever u get crab in vs. mudsdale and force it out. Substitute allows you to avoid predicting and kill the possible switch in without fear.

1577410046336.png

Oricorio-Sensu @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Air Slash / Defog

Choice locked u-turn sensu is amazing. Especially the specs set - Air slash is there for accuracy if you can find urself in a spot of cleaning. Outside of that Revelation/hurricane is going to be a big pain in the ass for common switch ins like lanturn/eel to absorb and even then u can click ur safe way to out and chip them for free.

1577410073297.png

Simipour @ Grassium Z
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

welp, this is pretty standard but the grassium Z set is just almost never seen. Also simipour is extremely underrated, but very good mon thanks to its typing.

1577410096519.png

Qwilfish @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 200 HP / 76 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Poison Jab
- Spikes

SD Qwil is something I think i just simply dont see ever. Not sure why, spikes+sd is deadly set and allows you to role compress teams easily around. 95 atk isnt bad and booted +2 will be a pain in the ass to absorb

1577410125054.png

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 12 SpA / 32 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Blizzard

Sub+toxic frost is cool way to play around its biggest CT lanturn. Also the sub will stay up, if eel/lant/frost trys to volt switch out. Highly recommended set.

1577410142146.png

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 208 Spe / OR 252 Atk 12 Def 36 Hp 208 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin / Thunder Punch / Toxic

This set is quite standard nowadays, but still gonna drop the spreads I have been running during this "broken vic" -meta. Life orb set was more often used set on my side. Speed investment allows u to hit 264 speed (to outspeed) and OHKO cleanly victreebel with ice punch. Toxic punishes on switch the jellicents and 12def+36hp allows u to live close combat from ape when full hp

1577410161813.png

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 40 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Claygod, what a lovely mon. This was also extremely often used when this broken vic+skunk thing was on its point. Both are ohkoed after rocks and claydol either eats crunch/pursuit from skunk or outspeeds victreebell thanks to its speed investment to hit 264. Ice beam is naturally for tort+mudsdale.
1577410191799.png

Raticate-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- U-turn
- Counter
- Knock Off

To be fair, i love this suicide raticate. You simply lead this and click final gambit always and outspeed whatever is there front of you. If you find out facing a primeape on a lead, u can safely click counter (please pair with a fat ghost or a team where CC is not free) and kill whatever comes in bcs of u-turn dmg.
1577410212153.png

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 180 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

- Stealth Rock

Big s/o for xiri making this set up for snake. grass knot + psychic is targetting regirock, mudsdale, qwilfish and hp fire is for ferro, a-slash pretty much. Metang's one of the biggest problems is that it cant do anything outside of clicking toxic vs. other hazard set uppers. Well... not anymore :heart:

1577410232843.png

Jumpluff @ Darkinium Z / No item
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Strength Sap
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Memento / Acrobatics

I used this support set a LOT in my jumpluff stall and it actually worked very well. Jumpluff is the biggest CT gurdurr can ever have pretty much and from there u will always get free leech seeds and rotate without fear. Note, works pretty much only in stall, unfort
1577410249265.png

Victreebel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Whip
- Poison Jab

Ah, i love scarf victreebel with mixed double stabs. Victreebel has good stats on offense and this set pretty much takes advantage of those. Mons that likes to come in vs it like skunk can come only once in vs. power whip and on second rotate it gets killed bcs of you outspeeding it. Also hitting the 380+ speed allows u to outspeed pretty much everything outside of other faster scarfers.
1577410309774.png

Glaceon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Snow Cloak
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Ig, this might be quite 'standard' glaceon set, but instead of having hidden power, i ran sub on fourth slot to take advance of its boosted stats and avoid getting statused and losing from there. Good late game cleaner
1577410336746.png

Aurorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Well, this sounds a big meme, but actually claims some kills bcs of its ability+strong stab . OHKOes without any fear things like hitmonchan, makes 80% vs. eelektross and is pretty much just a stupid stab spammer

1577410852998.png

Audino @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

You simply just dont kill the regenerator audino. I know this sounds like a biggest low ladder meme ever, but special normal resists just doesnt exist in pu. Top to that, you are still capable of dropping those big, fat and yummy wishes off. Regen allows you to switch in vs. common volt switchers and often you can follow up with free OHKO vs stuff like a-slash that loves to drop rocks.

1577410357004.png

Cryogonal @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Flash Cannon
- Freeze-Dry

When cryo dropped, i used to use specs cryo because it hits pretty much as hard as aurorus but is waaaaay faster. Thanks to its fatness, it also can fairly easily to switch in vs. spatk mons and kill back

1577410291589.png

Victreebel @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 184 HP / 140 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Belch
- Strength Sap
- Sleep Powder

No grass stab victreebel? What is even that lol. WWWWELP, this thing actually is hot af imo. Basically you activate the berry always vs. ape u-turn/muds eq and etc. From there its most often a free belch spam vs what ever comes in. Sleep powder is superior support move for your team and allows u to get free switches
1577410377467.png

Golduck @ Leftovers
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Disable

Yup, disable + sub set up golduck. The speed investment allows you to hit 222 speed and basically outspeed all the slow, fat and locked mons. We all know how annoying disable can be and top to that, it means a free set up for golduck. Just use something with it to trap jellicent - otherwise this mon will be useless
1577410392267.png

Cacturne @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

Overall cacturne is extremely underrated and pretty much never used. Tried as a meme this scarf set and actually started to like it a LOT. Its double stab + fblast coverage allows you to click buttons with 115spatk. Foul play is nice little revenge killer button for physical set up mons. Scarf allows you to hit 343 speed and hit everything that is slower than cryogonal
1577410411354.png

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch

Ah, gotta love this bluff so much. Golurk works extremely well as a counter for a primeape and what does primeape love? Well, click u-turn button and get the free cryogonal, frostom, a-slash, sensu, aurorus, haunter, kanga, stout etc etc etc in to click free buttons. But this bad boy actually clicks buttons first thanks to its scarf and kills them thanks to its superior coverage and ability. Big brainer momentum gained after ur oppo thinks he got it
1577410428361.png

Regirock @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

Dancing regi, i dunno if this needs too much explanation. Cleans up after mid game if you can bring it in "safely" enough vs. any mon that has super effective move vs. it. +2speed allows u to get urself into total of 400 and +2 drain punch heals u back up
1577411157316.png

Qwilfish @ Icium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Scald
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond

Z-Blizzard is calced to kill a invested torterra which would otherwise actually kill you or set up its stuff for free :( Not sure if this need more explanation as its just to have better tort MU, spikes + destiny bond something down

1577410443643.png

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Amnesia
- Cotton Guard

- Return
- Rest

Prolly one of the biggest meme sounding set , but actually i think this is hella fine lol. Amnesia + cotton makes bouff almost impossible to touch and thanks to its good physical stats, return is actually doing quite a lot vs anything outside of rock types+ghost types. Basically u will still win vs. rock types outside of rest carbink. Again, get something to get those ghost types statused/locked

---

Whoever actually scrolled the entire thing through - you are hero. These are not even the biggest "meme" sets i have been running, but these i have actually put into good amount of work at least and think is worth of posting.

I know without any kind of questioning that most of the sets are absolutely weird and you would maybe never even think about using those. I personally have always loved to break norms and create match ups where I can catch people off guard and probably show the entire potential of the tier. I hope this can also be an 'eye opener' for those who wants to be creative, innovative and fresh breeze for upcoming gen8 pu. Give absolutely zero fucks for the haters - listen up the good feed back and figure out what the set is post to do on its best and worst.

Personally have received a lot of push backs while spamming all these weird stuffs and somehow "pissed" off people with headbutt serene grace sawsbuck - extremely fat stalls etc... Dont ya care about those and keep doing your stuff - you just cant please everyone!

Thanks for everyone who cared to check this post and gl in the gen 8 pu whenever it comes out,

UGH,

-Tlenit

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)