Eject Button Klefki and friends

Okay so I figured its about time that I made a team to showcase the powers of eject button klefki since I feel people are writing it off as way too niche or weak. I think this is probably one of Klefki's more dangerous sets in the metagame and really leaves swagplay in the dust when it comes to being a great offensive support mon and is incredibly fun to use too, providing a lot of different options to use.
I'm not the best pokemon player but I know this set can be used by people better than me to great effect, and I hope to see that happen eventually..
Lets start with team building!

Klefki comes in first with its Eject button set! This is the pokemon that I'm basing my team around, so there's no option of changes here. Eject button Klefki aims to set up screens for you, so I need some pokemon with reasonable bulk and huge sweeping power who can take advantage of this opportunity to grab a free turn. Luckily someone has decided to drop down from Ubers who fits the bill perfectly...

Yep, Manaphy, the god of the sea (???) and also the god of sweeping. Grabbing a tail glow boost has never been so easy! With decent all-round stats, access to an instant +3 boost and good coverage, Manaphy really is one of the best abusers of Klefki that I can think of. However, I'd also like another pokemon that can abuse Klefki, ideally one who needs no setup to unleash its power. This is also a good place to use my mega evo!

Mega charizard Y fits the bill, and really REALLY enjoys screens, considering its quite respectable bulk. Also, it may be forced to operate with 50% hp, so having a screen up to cover for this can really make the difference, meaning it only takes 35% damage max from offensive choice scarf rotom-w for instance. Charizard almost never fails to deliver, and can destroy almost everything when it chooses the right move- screens means it can afford to mispredict, take a hit, and then return with the correct move. Next, time for something to save Charizard from those rocks.

Avalugg! Might seem like a weird choice but my team really needs something physically defensive, and Avalugg also is a great user of screens to patch up its spdef, and to ensure it takes a hit before returning with avalanche. Sturdy + rapid spin is also a very useful combination. Now for something specially defensive to pair him with.

Blissey is useful for me because she means I only need to add 1 dedicated specially defensive mon. Also her wishpassing really helps keep my team alive, and its unlikely that any of these pokemon will be killed with 1 hit when behind screens, meaning she will often be able to keep them in the game with a heal. Having someone status immune is also nice. My team definitely has a keldeo weakness though, so its important I add something who can resist its stabs. Also, due to the general stealth rock weakness on my team and a HUGE team-wide necessity to switch, something else to deal with rocks could definitely prove useful.

Zapdos is the guy for the job! Providing a relatively quick defog, volt switch momentum, as well as static to punish u-turners he is a great support pokemon to steal momentum from the enemy team. Now that this brief overview is done, I will explore the sets in more detail, starting with Klefki.

Klefki @ Eject Button | Prankster
Bold | 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Thunder Wave
-Recycle

WALL OF TEXT WARNING
So basically this set aims to provide an instant setup that allows me to often end the match in a single turn vs several teams. Leading with Klefki, I can set up the correct screen vs a physical/special attacker, absorb the hit and immediately switch in my Manaphy or Charizard Y safely. Being behind a screen and given a free turn, both of these pokemon have the chance to destroy any of their shaky counters with a 2hko, and between them they deal with almost every pokemon in the metagame. If the opponent decides to not use an attacking move, I am free to paralyze them and cripple them, or paralyze any pokemon they decide to switch to. I suppose I must grudgingly thank swagkey for the fear surrounding klefki, which makes almost all opponents very reluctant to use boosting moves vs klefki- this means I rarely am punished for having a set with 0 attacking moves.
If the lead matchup seems bad for klefki (if i see a thundurus in team preview for example), I can always save it for later, and use it for several interesting switch-ins- for instance, an eject button will absorb a u-turn but prevent a u-turn user from actually switching out, whilst allowing the eject button user to switch. This means that with a 4x bug resistance, Klefki can steal momentum from the momentum stealer himself, scarf genesect, and switch to something like Zapdos to volt-switch after Genesect and keep the momentum on my side. Note that this interaction is bugged on Pokemon Online... the u-turn user is actually allowed to switch, and it happens after the eject button triggers so you will lose out >_>
Klefki with an intact eject button also can absorb a hit as I switch into a check for an opponent- for instance, I know that Charizard can easily deal with specs keldeo once it gets a chance to mega evolve and use drought, but currently my Blissey is switched in, and Charizard can't switch into Keldeo in its regular form due to being OHKO'd by hydro pump. I can switch to klefki, absorb whatever hit Keldeo gives, and then pass over the charizard who has just recieved a free switch-in. With klefki alive, this means all of the pokemon that my team checks become doubly powerful due to them being able to potentially switch-in for free.
Recycle means that my Klefki can come in after having lost its eject button, and recover it (usually after using screens, meaning i can once again slow-pass out to a teammate and give them a free switchin).
I really advise trying this set out before you knock it! I know a lot of people gave it really positive feedback in the klefki thread, and even though it may seem one-dimensional, it is incredibly hard to stop; will you hit klefki can give a sweeper a free switchin, or will you not attack it and allow it to set up screens anyway, and paralyze you? Klefki steals momentum with this set INCREDIBLY hard, putting opponents on the back foot from move 2, meaning the rest of my pokemon don't have an overwhelming necessity to be fast too- and it can paralyze anyone who shows up as a particularly dangerous quick threat to my team.

Manaphy @ Leftovers | Hydration
Timid | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Tail Glow
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Energy Ball

Manaphy was actually added relatively late into my team- I mostly forgot it even existed due to it being Ubers last gen, and I was actually using Dragonite here instead. However Dragonite does not give me the coverage that Manaphy does with CharY, and both of them often end up being walled by the same common OU threats. This Manaphy gives me a much more powerful partner and even when a good pokemon is switched in to wall it the instant +3 boost means they will be taking a MUCH larger hit than the +1 from a dragonite boost. Tail glow is obvious, turning Manaphy into a nuclear warhead in a turn, and Ice Beam and Surf are also pretty obvious choices. I also chose to use Energy ball to deal with Rotom-W who I know will be a common switch-in to Manaphy.
I think the set speaks for itself, and naturally when Manaphy can recieve a free tail glow it ends up killing several pokemon. Manaphy seems really underused considering how powerful I am finding it, although I definitely think it thrives on a team like this.
What's more, it has the cute synergy with Charizard where if rain is summoned to hurt Charizard, Manaphy at least benefits slightly from it. A really negligible interaction, but kinda cool nonetheless.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y | Blaze->Drought
-Air Slash
-Solarbeam
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

The other half of my dual screen recievers, Charizard Y benefits hugely from its newfound ability to take a hit and retaliate with its ridiculous power. Its coverage pairs excellently with Manaphy, having Water, Ice, Grass, Flying, Fire and Ground type moves between them. This means I will almost always have a good switch-in after Klefki gets ejected. Charizard loves screens for obvious reasons, giving him a chance to hit most pokemon for 2 fire blasts before being KOd, and almost always coming out on top. Blissey's wish can also give him some nice cushioning as he switches in, and defog + spin means he has a really good chance of being able to switch in and set fire to everything.
Earthquake is here to deal with heatran as I see one on most teams. I could use roost but wish from blissey is available for him and having the extra coverage is very helpful.

Blissey @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Bold | 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss

So Blissey keeps my team going with wishes and acts as a great healer, helping Klefki stay alive despite having no recovery of its own, and can absorb status for my team with natural cure. Protect is a great move for scouting to have on your team somewhere, and Seismic toss does reasonable damage despite no attack investment. I chose Blissey over Chansey because Blissey is a better wishpasser, and benefits more from protect due to recovery while protecting due to leftovers. Also with the rise of Knock Off, I would prefer to not have such a key pokemon be crippled by a move with such good distribution.
Toxic is obvious for wishpass as it can help you stall out certain threats. I rarely use Blissey because she always feels like a miserable excuse used by people who couldn't find a more exciting pokemon to pick, but in this case I need the biggest and best wishes I can get my hands on! As long as I use her carefully, she will avoid being used as setup bait- its important that she and Klefki are the only two PURE supportive pokemon on my team or else I am really pigeonholing my offenses now.

Avalugg @ Leftovers | Sturdy
Impish | 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Avalanche
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Earthquake

I think this pokemon gets a really bad rep for something with sturdy + rapid spin. I can rely on it to get a rapid spin off, and it can destroy so many pokemon who outspeed it just due to surviving with sturdy- for instance, it is capable of doing 85% to Mega Charizard Y while obviously avoiding getting ohkod by fire blast. Recovery on a rapid spinner is nice, and its super-high defense pairs well with Blissey being a supertank on the special side. Both are weak to fighting, but the rest of my team is full of fighting resistance. When I take avalugg from my team, I am left with a team who is overpowered by quite a few scary physical threats.

Zapdos @ Zap Plate | Static
-Defog
-Volt Switch
-Heat Wave
-Roost

Zapdos is definitely not a CORE member of the team but he's proven very useful. Having two ways of clearing hazards has definitely been important for my team's survival, and having volt switch to keep momentum is really nice. I've gone for an offensive defog set, with zap plate to boost the damage of volt-turn because I can't afford to lose even more hp than what I already lose from stealth rock- life orb would just make him too squish. Having an electric stab is really nice for the team, and being able to switch him into u-turners like scizor is definitely useful as there is a 30% chance of them getting paralyzed while trying to steal momentum. Heat wave also has a chance to be boosted in damage by sun from CharY. Overall Zapdos is a good support mon, but he isn't so critical to the overall workings that I have to worry too much about keeping him alive, which is kinda a relief- I can let Zapdos or Avalugg go if I'm forced to lose a pokemon due to destiny bond or whatever.

So that's my team! The matches I've played usually end with decisive victory with Manaphy steamrolling at least 3 pokemon without fail... although admittedly this current version of the team has only existed for a little while, before this I was using a dragonite instead which really REALLY wasnt working.
So there you have it! Hopefully you guys can give me some criticism- I know that eject button klefki has some hard counters (for instance, landorus is able to hit super effectively with earth power whilst avoiding triggering eject button due to sheer force- gotta watch out for stuff like that- and noivern is able to hit with flamethrower through screens) but its just a cog in the machine, and my team can do well without it or after it sets up once. My whole team tries hard to keep it alive with heals, removal of rocks/hazards, etc. but it always does its job when I bring it in on the right pokemon. Great typing and decent stats also means I can reliably have my team rely on its services, and Blissey really helps when paired with it to help do a similar service of protecting sweepers whilst also feeding wishes to Klefki to keep it alive.
Noticably my team has 0 priority attacks and no pokemon faster than 100 base speed. I think this is cushioned somewhat by effective defensive pokemon/defensive moves and good use of immunities/typings, but its still an obvious issue. I havent ran into many cases so far when I cant at least neutralize a priority pokemon with a thunder wave or wall them relatively well with avalugg, but Im sure the problem still will hit me eventually and I have just been a little lucky so far. Please give me advice if you have it!

Edit: I think if I made any changes, it would be adding a mach punch + drain punch + knock off + elementalpunch guts Conkeldurr instead of Avalugg to give me some physical defense, another dark resistance and something to squash gliscor with via icepunch. Some priority would also probably be really helpful. If I start getting crushed by stuff like mega pinsir I will definitely look into this route... but at the moment, avalugg stomps down on mega pinsir hard. If another priority user arises, I will look into it!
Also some sort of physical priority powerhouse with focus sash could be a good replacement.

Last edited:
I suggest replacing Avalugg with something else. You already have a defoger, so you don't need a rapid spinner. If you want a good physical wall then try physically defensive Lando-T, Rotom-W, or something like that.

I actually am getting really worn down by Thundurus-I at the moment so I have been considering Mamoswine for the team. That fits the role of something with focus sash, priority, while also having ice stab + good physical bulk.

You should really drop Air Slash off of Charizard in favor of Focus Blast, Roost or Ancient Power. It's a completely useless move:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 200-236 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 297-351 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 270-320 (65.2 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I'm not a huge fan of your defensive core. It leaves you wide open to Terrakion, Conkeldurr and Latios. Avalugg really isn't doing much for the team, so honestly I'd say it's probably best to drop it. It's a nice niche pokemon, but it doesn't have any synergy with Blissey at all. That's just my two cents, though.

- Zapdos's hidden ability is unreleased.
- Zapdos has a hidden ability
- it can't have moves only learned before gen 5.
- Zapdos has moves incompatible with its ability.

Defog cannot be combined with static :/

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
If You do swap out Avalugg for Mamoswine, I would suggest making Zapdos a more defensive build with

Zapdos@Leftovers
Bold
248(level 100) or 252(level 50)Hp, 236 or 232 (depends on Hp)Def and 24 Spd

With basically the same move set you have now

Skarmory will fill this role better once Mega Lucario is banned though

I hate to be the Devil's Advocate here, but I really think that Charizard-Y should be replaced in favor of Charizard-X.

For one, Drought is extremely risky due to having Manaphy as a sweeper for you. You also have trouble with Special Walls since both of the Pokemon that can actually hit hit from the special side.

Charizard-X appreciates the Dual Screens in order to get Dragon Dances up and can demolish any Pokemon that might trouble Manaphy. Avalugg is a momentum killer for you right now and I suggest you change it to Choice Scarf or Choice Band Genesect. You didn't really even need Avalugg since you have a fully functional Defogger already, and changing CharizardY to CharizardX eases your problem with Hazards somewhat. Genesect forms a VoltSwitch with Zapdos and along with your Dual Screens you can definitely cause trouble for your opponent. btw, use Leftovers on Zapdos as Zapdos is generally more of a bulky pivot than an offensive pivot.

Sets
Charizard (F) @ Charizardite X
Trait: Blaze -> Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

and

Genesect @ Choice Band
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Blaze Kick

or

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Edit:
I really like this, but instead of Blissey as a special wall why not Goodra?
Goodra cant pass wishes, and Goodra would have to wear an Assault Vest anyways.

Blissey is the worst counter to this team. Sure you might be able to stall with Klefki but only if the opposing Blissey isn't running seismic toss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)