Electivire (Update) (GP 2/2)

I know you got GP stamped twice already but noticed a lot of things can use a fix.

Additions.
Removals.
Comments.

[Overview]

<p>Electivire's best trait is the amazing coverage that it obtains, allowing it to hit almost every Pokemon for super effective damage. Electivire also has generally high offensive stats to utilize abuse its coverage with, while also outpacing most of the metagame with its above average Speed. In addition, unlike most other Electric-types, Electivire is primarily a physical attacker, which allows it to defeat Slowking easier, while access to Flamethrower enables it to hit certain physical walls, such as Tangrowth and Amoonguss, harder than others. Unfortunately, Electivire still struggles against bulky Pokemon that it cannot hit super effectively, such as Uxie, Crustle, and Spiritomb, and it can rarely OHKOes its foes even with super effective attacks. This, combined with the fact that it is frail its fragility, entry hazard susceptibility, and recoil from Life Orb and its main STAB move in Wild Charge, wears Electivire down fast due to recoil from its main STAB move and Life Orb. Electivire also lacks a viable way to boost its offensive stats, making it struggle heavily against many defensively-oriented teams Pokemon, often going down on its own accord. Electivire has many flaws, but it is overall a very unique Electric-type and is good at wearing down the opposition with its impeccable coverage and offensive prowess many defensive cores.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Wild Charge
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Motor Drive
nature: Naive
evs: 248 Atk / 36 SpA / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Electivire's best traits are shown in this set&mdash;namely, a significant amount of coverage. As one of the few physically offensive Electric-types, it plays differently from other Electric-types in the tier. With that in mind, it's important to know that even though the listed moves can 2HKO super effectively hit most of the metagame, Electivire cannot OHKO very many Pokemon, and the opponent can predict around it while it wears itself out with recoil damage. As a result, it works best as a late-game attacker, letting its teammates weaken the opponent beforehand and laying entry hazards to allow Electivire to score a KO.</p>

<p>In DPP, Electivire lacked a strong STAB option, and but BW gifted it with Wild Charge is BW's gift to Electivire, somewhat fulfilling patching that wish lack of a reliable STAB attack. As a result, it's Electivire's preferred STAB move, as it comes off of Electivire's higher Attack stat and covers dangerous threats such as Slowking, Qwilfish, Moltres, and Kabutops. Flamethrower complements Wild Charge well, hitting common physical walls, such as Steelix, Ferroseed, and Tangrowth, hard, as both they are either immune to or resist Electric-type moves. Earthquake is mainly for opposing Electric-types, which it can typically get a free switch into thanks to Motor Drive, and Fire-type Pokemon such as Typlosion and Entei, and Aggron. Finally, Ice Punch is useful to get a strong hit on Druddigon and Ground-type Pokemon like Sandslash, although note that it won't inflict a significant amount of damage to either Pokemon [Druddigon is 2HKOed. Non-physically defensive Sandslash is 2HKOed too, and this is getting more common because defensive Sandslash sucks.] . Ice Punch also 2HKOes offensive variants of Rotom, who takes little damage or is immune to the other moves on this set. [Flamethrower already 2HKOes it too with Stealth Rock, and does more damage than Ice Punch if it were the bulky version.]</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow Electivire to OHKO Tangrowth with Flamethrower after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, outspeed Rotom and everything slower, and provide extra power for its physical attacks. However, if eliminating Tangrowth from the match is extremely important, 188 Special Attack EVs can be used to land an OHKO on it after Stealth Rock damage, but this weakens Electivire's other physical moves by quite a bit substantially. Motor Drive is the best ability for Electivire, as it grants it a free switch into Electric-type moves, particularly the common Thunder Wave and Volt Switch. The Speed boost can also be helpful for cleaning up teams, but this will only come into play if the opponent is significantly weakened. While it might seem weird to suggest a Life Orb over an Expert Belt when Electivire's main draw is its coverage, a Life Orb gives Wild Charge a notable boost against neutral targets such as Fighting-type Pokemon [You don't need to be so specific.]. However, an Expert Belt allows lengthens Electivire's longetivity to not get worn down as quickly and Electivire often hits most of its targets for super effective damage, so Electivire will often get a boost from it. Electivire has two other usable STAB moves in Thunderbolt and ThunderPunch, but they both are much weaker than Wild Charge. Regardless, Thunderbolt still has a high Base Power and can hit Alomomola and Qwilfish harder, although hitting Slowking's lower Defense tends to be more important, while ThunderPunch's lack of recoil means Electivire won't get worn down as quickly.</p>

<p>As mentioned before, without entry hazard support, Electivire struggles to OHKO anything aside from non-defensive Pokemon that are weak to Wild Charge, or opponents that are frail. In addition, Electivire forces a lot of switches with its coverage, so entry hazards can wear down the opponent's team as they try to predict around Electivire. As a result, Omastar and Qwilfish make good partners, as both of them can place Spikes (the former also gets Stealth Rock) on the field and attract Electric-type moves to activate Electivire's Motor Drive. Ferroseed also makes a good partner, as it also gets both forms of entry hazards while taking little damage from priority moves and Earthquake, which are often targeted at Electivire. Finally, because Electivire can wear down&mdash;possibly KO&mdash;Pokemon such as Slowking, Rotom, Tangrowth, and Steelix, it can open up the way for a teammate to attack without getting easily walled. Because of this, Kabutops, Druddigon, and Aggron&mdash;which all struggle with one or more of the aforementioned Pokemon&mdash;make good teammates, as their STAB moves are far more threatening when the opponent lacks a bulky Pokemon that can resist it.</p>

You mention that Electivire can't OHKO Pokemon that are frail, but that's not true. Observe:
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Absol: 277-328 (101.83 - 120.58%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 224-265 (89.24 - 105.57%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonlee: 305-360 (126.03 - 148.76%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gallade: 259-305 (93.5 - 110.1%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cinccino: 277-328 (94.86 - 112.32%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 253-300 (85.18 - 101.01%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Medicham: 231-274 (88.16 - 104.58%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
248 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 226-266 (76.09 - 89.56%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Wild Charge does work man.

[Other Options]

<p>Electivire has other options to consider, but they are rarely worth using. The first of which is Vital Spirit, which is a useful ability in a tier where sleep inducers such as Lilligant and Smeargle are common. However, even though Electivire can outspeed both of the aforementioned Pokemon and other sleep inducers, it cannot reliably deal with Grass-types due to them resisting its STAB, a problem that becomes evident against Amoonguss [Did you forget about Flamethrower and Ice Punch? Smeargle is OHKOed by Wild Charge, Lilligant OHKOed by Ice Punch, Tangrowth near OHKOed by Flamethrower, Amoonguss 2HKOed by Ice Punch... Vital Spirit Electivire has merit. I wouldn't dismiss it so fast, especially with such flawed reasoning. Mention that's useable but not as good as Motor Drive because Motor Drive at least makes Electivire a scarier late-game sweeper.]. Some of Electivire's best checks, mainly bulky Ground-types, are hit hard by Hidden Power Grass, but Ice Punch does enough damage to most of them, and the ones it doesn't do very much against are rare or defeat it regardless. Electivire's only means of setup is via Meditate, but a +1 boost is rarely enough to help any Pokemon [Actually, it is. With one Meditate, almost all of your 2HKOes turn into OHKOes and 3HKOes into 2HKOes. Uxie is 2HKOed, Clefable is OHKOed, Crustle is 2HKOed, 31% chance to OHKO Bouffalant with SR... among others. It has merit.]. Cross Chop is useful for hitting Clefable and other Normal-types, but its use essentially stops there, and its other moves are typically more useful. Electivire's strongest move is actually Focus Punch despite the fact that it lacks a STAB boost, so it is capable of running a decent SubPunch set, aided by the fact that it causes a lot of switches. Unfortunately, using two moveslots ultimately limits Electivire's coverage immensely, and even though its Focus Punch is strong, it pales in comparison to other SubPunch users that get a STAB boost. Finally, Electivire's decent offensive stats, good movepool, and access to Volt Switch allow it to utilize all Choice items effectively, but the main issue is that it cannot switch moves in this case, which is Electivire's most useful trait.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Not very many Pokemon can counter Electivire due to its high offensive stats and amazing coverage, but Electivire struggles to get past Pokemon that aren't weak to any particular move it carries, or Pokemon who have good defensive stats. Bulky Ground-types, such as Sandslash, Piloswine, and Rhydon, stand out as the best checks, as they can take anything bar the rare Hidden Power Grass (and in Sandslash and Rhydon's case, Ice Punch and Earthquake, respectively, do a noticeable amount of damage) and OHKO it back with Earthquake. Quagsire is also a formidable switch-in, as it is immune to Wild Charge, resists Flamethrower, and takes neutral damage from Electivire's coverage moves; however, it too must be aware of Hidden Power Grass variants. Crustle can use Electivire as setup fodder thanks to its high Defense, and either set up entry hazards or Shell Smash, or just hit Electivire with its STAB move or Earthquake. Although Regirock is weak to Earthquake, it can sponge the move with its massive Defense and OHKO back with an Earthquake of its own. Bulky versions of Rotom avoid the 2HKO from anything Electivire has and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp; keep in mind, though, that Ice Punch will 2HKO offensive vairants of Rotom. Uxie doesn't take very much damage from any of Electivire's moves and can wear it down with its own STAB moves. Any Gardevoir with Trace gets a free switch into Wild Charge thanks to it copying Motor Drive, and it can hit Electivire back with its STAB moves. There are several revenge killers that can OHKO Electivire, such as Choice Scarf Emboar and Medicham, along with Choice Band Entei thanks to ExtremeSpeed, which manages to KO after some prior damage. Finally, if all else fails, smart switching will aid in defeating Electivire; between Life Orb damage and Wild Charge recoil, it might end up defeating itself in due time.</p>
Overall you did well. Good job.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
A lot of the changes above are either too subjective or just unnecessary. You might be an avid RU player, but you are re-writing some sections that don't need to be. The writer can take some of the changes if he likes them, but here are a few that he shouldn't take:

first change said:
Electivire also has generally high offensive stats to utilize abuse its coverage with
"Abuse" should NEVER be used in an analysis, and "utilize" is fine here.

SC said:
As a result, it works best as a late-game attacker, letting its teammates weaken the opponent beforehand and laying entry hazards to allow Electivire to score a KO.
You're mixing up subjects here, "lay" is the correct word to use.

Earthquake is mainly for opposing Electric-types, which it can typically get a free switch into thanks to Motor Drive, and Fire-type Pokemon such as Typlosion and Entei, and Aggron
This change makes no sense, if the writer wants to implement this, then it should be worded as so: "Earthquake is mainly for opposing Electric-types, which it can typically get a free switch into thanks to Motor Drive; it also hits Fire-type Pokemon such as Typhlosion, as well as Aggron.".

SC said:
Finally, Ice Punch is useful to get a strong hit on Druddigon and Ground-type Pokemon like Sandslash
If you are going to implement this, then use "such as", not "like".

AC said:
188 Special Attack EVs can be used to land an OHKO on it after Stealth Rock damage, but this weakens Electivire's other physical moves by quite a bit substantially.
The "substantially" change is unnecessary, however, if you were to implement this, it should be "but this substantially weakens Electivire's physical moves."

AC said:
a Life Orb gives Wild Charge a notable boost against neutral targets such as Fighting-type Pokemon [You don't need to be so specific.].
He should be specific, as it helps the reader in choosing which item to use.

Two changes you should implement, however, are this:

AC said:
However, anExpert Belt allows lengthens Electivire's longetivity to not get worn down as quickly
This is an excellent change in sentence structure.

C&C said:
There are several revenge killers that can OHKO Electivire, such as Choice Scarf Emboar and Medicham, along with Choice Band Entei thanks to ExtremeSpeed
That is the correct way to spell ExtremeSpeed.

I apologize if this is not my place to speak, and once again, the writer can feel free to take any of the changes he likes (except the ones I mentioned).

I also apologize if some of my objections are incorrect, and also if I missed something :)

Reactions: tab
"Abuse" should NEVER be used in an analysis, and "utilize" is fine here.
Why not? But okay. EDIT: This has been answered for me.
You're mixing up subjects here, "lay" is the correct word to use.
Yeah that was a stupid oversight. My bad.

This change makes no sense, if the writer wants to implement this, then it should be worded as so: "Earthquake is mainly for opposing Electric-types, which it can typically get a free switch into thanks to Motor Drive; it also hits Fire-type Pokemon such as Typhlosion, as well as Aggron.".
Aggron needed to be included because that's a primary Pokemon Earthquake hits super effectively. I guess I ended up wording that a little strangely, but it needs to be in there.

If you are going to implement this, then use "such as", not "like".
Okay, sure.

The "substantially" change is unnecessary, however, if you were to implement this, it should be "but this substantially weakens Electivire's physical moves."
It's just a better/more professional way to say "quite a bit." But yeah, I like the way you've written it.

He should be specific, as it helps the reader in choosing which item to use.
Yes, he should be specific, but not random. I found the inclusion of Fighting-types such a random example that it should just be removed. There are other types that don't take super effective damage. Dark-, Ghost-, Normal-, and Psychic-types also fall under that. I'd rather him mention notable Pokemon. Clefable, Spiritomb, and Uxie are good ones.

I apologize if this is not my place to speak, and once again, the writer can feel free to take any of the changes he likes (except the ones I mentioned).

I also apologize if some of my objections are incorrect, and also if I missed something :)
Of course it is your place to speak. And of course it is entirely up to the writer to implement the requested changes. I appreciate you bringing up some of my own mishaps and will ensure that silly mistakes don't slip by me for the future.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not regarding the changes, but I would refrain from mentioning Sandslash in the analysis as it is almost non-viable atm, despite being a threat to Electivire. In addition, no good player is going to use Sandslash, so yeah.

Also, in the C&C section, you said "ExtreemeSpeed", and there should only be one e, ie "ExtremeSpeed".

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
@Fuzznip - Abuse means to misuse something, if a Pokemon is using something well they're not abusing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)