Enter the era of Bulk

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor

Team Process:
HI everyone, I am Anthonias here, and this is my latest team I have been using. This team is rather strong, and rather annoying, I do hope you will enjoy this team, as I put a lot of effort into this. Lets get into the team,​

I wanted to make a rain team, so what better than to use Politoed? Its kind of obvious, as it keeps rain up permenatly throughout the match, so long as my opponent doesn't have weather.​

I wanted to make a bulky team. So, I wanted to try something different. I wanted to use a 2x Screeners + 3 Bulky Sweepers core. I invented this core [as far as I know], and really wanted to try it. You might say to yourself, Jirachi isn't a screener, as Smogon hasn't added an analysis for it in the Pokedex! But, I picked Jirachi for a very special reason. Its steel typing, as, it allows me to resist dragon types, which is exactly what I wanted, and, I also wanted ghost type attacks to be normally effective so my 2 screeners wouldn't be weak to ghost types like Gengar. I chose Espeon as Jirachi's partner so I could get away from having to have hazards on my team by being able to bounce them. They both make wounderful screeners, and my objective is to get my screens up, and set up as much as possible.

I wanted to create a bulky offense core, and so, I chose Volcarona and Breloom. With their typing, they have perfect synergy, and they also work well with Politoed. Now you might say Volcarona is not meant to be used in rain, but with access to Hurricane, I beg a difference. Breloom's spore also helps me set up, as forcing switches when I have a lack of screens is very helpful. Volcarona has access to the best bulky sweeper attack, Quiver Dance. So, I knew I would need these two paired together. Volcarona aslo appreciates Espeon's Magic Bounce as it hates SR.​

Gliscor was my glue to this team. I had lots of trouble dealing with Ninetails, and sun teams in general. So, I added Gliscor to patch up my weaknesses. Also, Gliscor makes a great bulky set up sweeper. Gliscor also helps me deal with Jirachi [as CM Sub Jirachi is a problem, even with Gliscor checking it], and made Gliscor a valuable member to this team. Also, with access to Poison Heal next to Breloom, they can all abuse Screens like pros.​

@ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 40 SAtk / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)​

- Scald: Well, surf is rather redundant considering the power difference is 15. Hydro Pump misses one too many times, while scald has so much synergy with Politoed set, physically defensive! With the burn rate, its more helpful to use. Also consider that Politoed is my main counter for Scizor and Landorus, and which, burn is ever-so nice to hit them with.​

- Haze: Sure, encore would be nice, or even perish song. But, Espeon can block Encore, and, Perish Song allows three turns of sweep when its Baton Passed! No, Haze has saved me more than once. I can haze my other opponents bulky sweepers to give mine a clear advantage.​

- Ice Beam: With the rise or Tornadus, Dragonite, Salamence, and Hazorus, Ice Beam is the best coverage move I could come up with. HP [Grass] is rather redundant with Breloom, and, Focus Blast just misses. Ice Beam ended up superior for my coverage move.​

- Protect: Scouting. Its very important, once I learn a Pokemon's set, I have an advanatge over that Pokemon. Protect also allows me to grab leftovers boost, which help with max/min damage survivle.​

Politoed [In Depth]​
Politoed is needed to keep the entire team alive. Breloom loves eating fire type attacks, especially with screen support. Volcarona loves to abuse 100% accurate Hurricane's, while Jirachi loves being able to stay in on Flamethrowers. Politoed is naturally a good Pokemon to fight BP with, and sand teams with as well. Politoed is a ir-replaceable member to this team, and has allowed my team to sweep every time, considering I need it to fully use my team.​

@ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)​

- Reflect: Well, this is a dual-screener, so, I needed to use reflect, no? Reflect is here to enable my sweepers an easy sweep. Reflect helps me absorb physical blows.​

- Light Screen: Same as above, as I run it to enable a sweep. Light Screener allows me to easily eat special attacks as well.​

- Psychic: I needed an attack, and, Psychic provides STAB and coverage. Hit opposing Breloom hard, bouncin spore as well.​

- Shadow Ball: Just because I need to hit Latios/Reuniclus XD​

Espeon [In Depth]​
Espeon loves to set up on stall teams [Smeargle, SR/Hazard Leads, Jirachi, Foretress, ect.]. I can easily gain all my screens while Ferrothorn despratly tries to 2HKO with Gyro Ball, with no success. Stuff like that. Espeon also helps me dent threats such as Rotom-W [Which can 2HKO Breloom, making it a check, at least, w/o screens.] Espeon also helps to a lesser extent with Conkeldurr, and, such. Espeon most important roles are to bounce hazards, and, to set up screens for the team. It has such nice synergy with my team​

@ Light Clay
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 230 SDef / 28 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)​

- Reflect: Reflect is very vital for Jirachi, as, it cannot take physical attacks very well. Reflect support is needed to enable a sweep with my bulky sweepers. Reflect is crucial to Jirachi's survival as well.​

- Light Screen: Well, this attack is such a bitch to my oppponent. If they thought Earth Power wasn't going to be a clean 2HKO before, wait untill I pop this out! It becomes a demon special wall. It also helps enable a sweep with my bulky sweepers.​

- Body Slam: Body Slam has proven very helpful. Bulky Sweepers aren't exactly known for thier high speed, and Body Slam is just my way of further helping a sweep. with Serene Grace, it can achieve this many times, making itself as useful as can be.​

- Iron Head: Jirachi's fatal STAB. Combined with Body Slam's para rate, I can ParaFlinch threats to my team. With Screens up, I have many oppurtunities to abuse Body Slam until I acheive para. With that, I can Iron Head away. HO Teams can just cry at the sight of this thing.​

Jirachi [In Depth]​
Jirachi allows me to not only set up screens, but to wear down my opponent. Jirachi can act as a back up sweeper if needed with its screens. Iron Head + Body Slam is a death combonation, especially on a screener Jirachi. The Body Slam support allows me to hit threats that could otherwise prove a nuiscence to this team. Jirachi is no doubt one of my favorites on this team!​

@ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)​

- Quiver Dance: My main objective is to set up as much as possible. With screen support, Quiver Dance only becomes more deadly. Quiver Dance increases SDef, Spe, and SAtk, allowing it to sweep just after +1!​

- Substitute: With screens up, this attack is actually quite reliable. I can set up on Ferrothorn [T-Wave failed, aw, you poor thing!]. I can set up plenty in a sub, especially with QD raising SDef, and screens in general. Blocking Status attacks, Substitute is very valuable.​

- Bug Buzz: Its main STAB, as, it can hit grass pokemon hard. Volcarona is the best cure to just about every threat to rain. Bug Buzz hits Celebi hard, and combined with QD, is a OHKO for the most part!​

- Hurricane: Ah, Hurricane. Confusion, 100% accurate, follwed by screen/QD support. I couldn't ask for a better sweeper! This thing makes so many people rage quit, and other lose to a 6-0 sweep. Its Tornadus with bulk!​

Volcarona [In Depth]​
This thing is great for the F/G/W core. Alongside that, it can abuse Hurricane and the screens I have set up. Quiver Dance is the best attack alongside screens as it manages to get to +3-4 with ease. Especially with its substitute. Volcarona is a very big asset to this team, and I cannot see how I would sweep without it!​

@ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)​

- Bulk Up: Rasing Defense and Attack, this move is almost as great as Quiver Dance! Alongside screens, I can wall any physical sweeper [or and SAtk] with the ev's and poison heal [enabling set up]. After just 2 of these Bulk Ups, I can begin to sweep hard!​

- Spore: Allows me to set up a 2 BU while the opponent rests. This gives me the ooppurtunity to [A, use spore on the third round of sleep, when it will wake up, and sleep allows me to recover with Poison Heal, and B, hit the mon with Drain Punch!]. Spore is such a good move, that, it allows Breloom to be just as great as Volcarona!​

- Seed Bomb: I needed a STAB. It hits other Rain teams hard! Seed Bomb is super-powered after a few BU's.​

- Drain Punch: Combined with BU, Screens, and Poison Heal, Drain Punch makes me all most unstoppable. With high recovery, solid defenses, and high attack power, there really isn't anything my opponent can do to beat me.​

Breloom [In Depth]​
Breloom does a great job setting up alongside screens. It has perfect synergy with Volcarona, and can pretty much do any kind of sweep. Drain Punch is such a sweet attack, allowing me to 2HKO Skarm after 2 BU [and live from Brave Bird]. This is easy to acheive with spore by the way. Breloom is a important member to this team, and does its job very well I might say!​

@ Toxic Orb
EVs: 224 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)​

- Swords Dance: This attack is my way of setting up. With its high defenses, and, poison heal, alongside screens, this is fairly easy to accomplish. I only need to use it once or twice to begin a sweep with it ;)​

- Ice Fang: How I long to put Facade here to hit Rotom-W. However, Ice Fang is overall better for coverage against other Pokemon, other Gliscor, ect. Its low base power can be easily manipulated with SD, so its all good.​

- Protect: Although it wears down screens, when screens aren't up, its a nice way to ensure I can live an attack. With poison heal, protect is no joke!​

- Earthquake: My means of STAB. HIts Rachi and sun team hard. Earthquake is super-powered after 2 SD's, reaching a high peak of +4 attack! EQ is almost unstoppable!​

Gliscor [In Depth]​
The Glue to my team. Helps me finish off other threats, and, can abuse screens and set up to acheive a sweep.​

Importable:

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 40 SAtk / 4 Spd

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Haze
- Ice Beam
- Protect​

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay

Trait: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball​

Jirachi @ Light Clay

EVs: 252 HP / 230 SDef / 28 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Body Slam
- Iron Head​

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane​

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb

EVs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch​

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb

EVs: 224 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Protect​

- Earthquake​

Wow the most abusive rain team ever I have seen, with screeners I think I would.like to face his with my HO team, variant vs variant, it'd be interesting and I an finally see any problems with the team, check it out it's named "Beta Elite 4 Team"

I'm not sure this team needs screen support to be honest, I would just use a standard Jirachi and Espeon. Aside from that this team seems pretty solid.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Espeon is too frail, it can only get up screens like once [for both screens], then it like, dies. Jirachi does a nice job with screens, and its not like I won't get SR from magic bounce. Wish support is rather redundant with poison heal, drain punch, protect, and Volcarona's HP going up form lefties and high defenses from screens. No need to run any attacks on Jirachi, Fire Punch is redundant in rain, thunder punch isn;t doing anything Breloom isn't, other than flying types, and Ice Fang from Gliscor, and Ice Punch is a good thought, although, I don't think its needed that much. When you think about it, Jirachi is better off with Screens than any other option because it does more for the team overall, and its main attacks that help me are already on it, Body Slam and Iron Head

Wow, this is really an amazing team. I'd love to try it out some time. My one suggestion is adding thunder over body slam on rachi. You lose out on hitting ground types like lando, but you already have that covered with gliscor just fine. By adding Thunder on rachi, you are able to hit Skarm, who wall the rest of your sweepers.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Changes:

Running SDef Politoed to better deal with sun, as, Landorus can be dealt with with Ice Fang from Gliscor, and, Scizor can be countered by Breloom with ease. Using Thunder on Rachi for Skarm :D

Nice team! espeon is the most replaceable poke in your team IMO, i've never rated it since its far to easy to predict thanks to team preview... "coughing send out ferrothorn!" "Anthonias switched to espeon!" -Ferrothorn used Gyro ball!

But, it's role seems like it is there purely to support volcarona, which seems like a waste of a pokemon slot to me. Latias would have great synergy with volcarona while setting up screens, and actually doing something rather than dying like espeon.

Hey

Cool team man, I love the strategy. Reuniclus seems to be the biggest threat to this team as your Jirachi lacks Wish. Calm Mind or OTR variants can demolish this team paired with Tyranitar and Dragons. To fix this I would recommend you to switch Gliscor for a Bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite. Dragonite completely decimates Reuniclus and Sun teams which both can be troublesome. It also becomes an excellent partner with your other sweepers making a decent offensive core. On Dragonite I would Dragon Dance for obvious reasons, Aqua Tail, Roost, and Dragon Claw. This is a great set under screens which utilizes its natural bulk and always keeps your offensive momentum up. You can use either Lum Berry or Lefties, it just depends on the situation.

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

On Jirachi I don't see the point of Body Slam since you're running rain. So I would switch Body Slam for Thunder. Thunder gives you a much better accuracy in rain, it can be used to finish off Skarmory's which can be really problematic to your Breloom and Dragonite. Para is a bonus for your sweepers as they become deadly every turn under screens.

Jirachi @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Iron Head
- Thunder

Now Espeon seems like the weakest link to this team. I know Espeon is a cool idea under Rain but you can use Starmie with more speed and access to Rapid Spin. Thus Starmie over Espeon will provide your team a much better support. Defensive walls are a major threat to your team like Gliscor, Skarmory and Starmie does an excellent job eliminating them. You can use the Dual Screener or an Offensive set. In my opinion Offensive one will provide you much better support as it basically clears the path for your sweepers. Your Sweepers hate hazards especially Volcarona and Starmie also does a nice job keeping dem hazards away.

Starmie @ Light Clay
Trait: Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder
- Ice Beam / Recover

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I will try out both sets, ty very much. I will update with results of the changes, and then update the RMT itself. Ty so much ^_^ [I REALLY hate fighting sun teams, so, hi Dragonite XD]

Also, I am using defesnive toed again now that I am adding Dragonite

you may want to put espeon in the lead slot to keep rocks off the field, as they would completely decimate volcarona, especially after you've tried to make a sub. You might also want to give espeon wish, to keep your team healthy. Otherwise, great team!

I would change Espeon to Starmie. The Problem with Espeon is that once rocks are on the field, there's no way to get them off. Starmie can spin the rocks away to clear the field for Vulcarona, and obviously also wreck some real havoc in the rain.

Decent team.

The First thing I've noticed is that you're team is going to have a really really difficult time against stall teams. Although Espeon can bounce back all of the hazards that stall teams like to use, Ferrothorn can 3HKO your Espeon if it switches into a Power Whip and then sets up a Reflect. Since Espeon has no form of recovery, it won't be surviving for very long. I suggest taking out Jirachi for Stall Breaker Mew. Espeon is still needed for making sure that hazards don't enter your side of the battle field. Jirachi's role on your team is kind of redundant as you already have a better dual screener in the form of Espeon.

Next, I'm going to propose a some what drastic change to your team.
1. Eliminate Politoed. With the exception of providing infinite rain, Politoed's role is the same as Gliscor's taking hits and firing back with a STAB move. I suggest replacing Politoed with the standard Tyranitar set which is found on Smogon. Tyranitar is a much better pokemon that Politoed is. With the exception of Politoed's ability, Tyranitar posses better stats, move pool, and is a very proactive member of many teams. Tyranitar also brings Stealth Rock support to this team. Nearly every great team needs Stealth Rock support, and this team is no different.

2. If you do implement the change to Tyranitar, I would suggest swapping out your Gliscor set that's currently being used for the Sand Veil Acrobatic Set. Since Espeon already provides screens for your team, I fail to see the point in having a dedicated wall like the Gliscor set that you currently run. The Sand Veil Acrobatic Gliscor set is a devastating sweeper, similar to Volcarona. Speaking of Volcarona, i suggest changing Hurricane for Fire Blast. The set that you currently run is walled by Jirachi, one of the most common pokemon in OU. Fire Blast will allow you to destroy Jirachi, making it more likely for Volcarona to sweep.

If you choose not to get rid of Politoed, I suggest replacing Volcarona with a Choice Spec'd Tornadus. Choice Spec'd Tornadus is one of the scariest things in the metagame. It's only real counters(from my experience using it) are Chansey/Blissey and Jirachi. Luckily for you, your Gliscor set can take on both of those defensive threats rather nicely. Finally, run Taunt over Protect. Although Protect is useful for scouting and increasing longevity through Poison Heal, Taunt fits what your team is trying to do, sweep. Taunt allows you to set up all over Ferrothorn, Blissey, and other common walls in OU.

I hope this rate helped!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I like your rate, and am happy you took an liking in this team, just want to go over your changes.

I changed Gliscor for Dragonite earlier, and it works well, especially in rain. I did Waterfall>Aqua Tail though. As for the Tornadus, the purpose of my team is to have a bulky sweep. Tornadus is really not as good as Volcarona is as Volcarona can take down T-Tar, and Celebi a whole lot easier, and the job Volcarona is in is to not only provide a bulky sweep, but, to eliminate common rain threats.

As for the stall-breaker mew:

I switched Espeon for a spinner, in the form of Starmie, and am currently using a Offensive Set, and it works like a charm. I realize that I really did only need 1 screener [as you said before, so ty for that].

Also, since I don't have Gliscor anymore, Politoeds job seems rather important to this team, and also creates a F/W/G core, and sand would just ruin this.

Thank you for the rate, its my fault for not updating my RMT, as I went with mostwanted's suggestions.

Ty do much :)
~ Anthonias

I'd just like to put this out there as a recommendation; I'm not too sure how other players will take this. Ive been using an Espeon with a bold nature and full hp and def evs, and the last 4 in sp.def. Ive found it to be surprisingly bulkier, and since it has magic bounce, it has no taunt worries.

you may want to put espeon in the lead slot to keep rocks off the field, as they would completely decimate volcarona, especially after you've tried to make a sub. You might also want to give espeon wish, to keep your team healthy. Otherwise, great team!
>5th gen
>Lead slot
Wut?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)