move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Rapid Spin
move 4: Flash Cannon / Protect / Aura Sphere / Pain Split
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 132 SpA / 44 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Equilibra's great strength lies in its powerfull Doom Desire, which forces the opponent to play carefully and sometimes forces a KO alongside a wallbreaker. It's also one of the best entry hazard removers in the metagame, as it scares out setters like Tomohawk and Hippowdon. To achieve these roles, it switches in on Pokemon like Jumbao, Clefable, and Hippowdon. It fits particularly well on balance and bulky offense builds that make use of strong wallbreakers, as Doom Desire gives them an additional option to muscle through the opponent's team.

Flash Cannon is definitely Equilibra's best option in the fourth moveslot, as it pressures Fairy-types like Clefable and Jumbao, preventing them from freely passing Wish to their teammates. It's also a good option in general to directly hit Pokemon that don't fear Earth Power like Hydreigon and Tomohawk. However, it's not as mandatory as the other three moves, and you can run Protect to optimize Leftovers recovery while scouting for Knock Off from Toxapex and Seismitoad or Choice-locked attackers like Kyurem and Terrakion. Aura Sphere is mainly used to check opposing Equilibra, but it's also useful against Rotom-H and Hydreigon. Pain Split is also an option to not get worn down too quickly. 80 EVs in Defense avoid a 2HKO from Choice Band Syclant's Icicle Crash while 44 Special Defense EVs allows Equilibra to take two Lava Plumes from Mollux.

Defensively, Tomohawk is probably Equilibra's best partner, as it's a particularly good switch-in to physical attackers that usually try to take advantage of Equilibra like Colossoil, Conkeldurr and Terrakion. Equilibra appreciates Wish Clefable keeping it healthy and covers Clefable's Poison and Steel weaknesses. Mollux and Toxapex check Fire-type attackers like Rotom-H and Chandelure while Equilibra switches into threatening Ground-type attacks. Offensively, most powerful wallbreakers take advantage of Doom Desire to KO even the bulkiest Pokemon. Terrakion, Zeraora, and Kyurem use it particularly well, as they threaten the Pokemon that want to sponge the Doom Desire like Equilibra, Toxapex, and Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Atha, 450411]]
- Quality checked by: [[quziel, 297859], [snake_rattler, 227784]]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519]]

Last edited:
Reactions: BP

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
AM Check
Add, Remove, comment

I Highly recommend you take a look at some of my analysis in my signature and follow them through the QC process to get a feel for what the QC team might have you changed. When I started out writing this helped me a lot and thus I wrote better analysis. I'd recommend looking at Swanna as its the longest and probably my best written one. Sandslash is another good example.

[SET]
name: Doom Desire
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Doom Desire
move 3: Rapid Spin / Aura Sphere / Pain Split / Protect
move 4: Flash Cannon / Aura Sphere / Pain Split / Protect
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 132 SpA / 108 SpD / 16 Spe

name: Pivot
move 1: Doom Desire
move 4: Protect / Pain Split / Flash Cannon
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 132 Spa / 108 SpD / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Equilibra is one of the few defensive Pokemons that don't shine because of their utility or pivotal role, but because of the threats they create. Its great strength lies in its access to Doom Desire, which, coupled with its high special attack, gives it a chance to do serious damage to the opposing team every time it uses it. To achieve this it takes advantage of its good special bulk, its three immunities, to the Ground, Poison and Electric type, and its key resistance to the Fairy type to switch in on Jumbao, Clefable, Seismitoad or Kyurem. All the art of playing Equilibra resides in taking advantage of its defensive qualities to use Doom Desire as often as possible and making the most of it. 16 evs in speed allows it to outspeed all Clefable sets that are not heavily invested in speed, giving it a better matchup against Calm Mind Clefable. The 132 evs in special attack allow it to ensure the 2hko on Dragapult with Earth Power, the ohko on Terrakion after the rocks with the same move, and gives 87,5% chances of ohko spdef Mollux at full health. The rest of the evs are put in hp and special defense with Calm Nature to fulfill at best its role of special wall against Pokemon like Jumbao and Kyurem. On most sets, Rapid Spin offers a good option to removes hazards , especially since Equilibra is absolutely unafraid of them (it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and four times rock resistant).

1. There's a lot of fluff in this first paragraph (refer to the C&C guide if you aren't sure what fluff means).
2. There's no need to overstate things. Because Equilibra is one of if not the best CAP pokemon in the tier its easier to get straight point and just state why Equilibra runs the moves. For example: "Doom Desire is equilibra's strongest STAB which allows it threaten pokemon such as..." I'd recommend using this sort of template and redoing the move explanations. For Rapid Spin just mention what it does for its team.
3. Because Equilibra lacks reliable recovery it cannot wall Kyurem comfortably. Modest Specs Kyu does 43-50% with an Ice Beam
4. Redo aspects of this paragraph to better represent the changed set.

Equilibra suffers however from its lack of true healing moves, making it very dependent on Leftovers, therefore weak to Knock Off, and Wish users to keep it alive, and often deterring it from coming on powerful attackers like Aegislash, Dragapult or Hydreigon. Thus Protect is an option to take better advantage of Leftovers. It also has several key weaknesses, especially to the Fighting and Fire type, making many coverage moves threaten it with a 2hko, such as Fire Blast Dragapult, Flamethrower Clefable, or Close Combat Zeraora. Finally it lacks coverage, which prevents it from taking full advantage of its high special attack against Corviknight, Air Balloon Aegislash, Rotom-Heat, or even itself if it doesn't run Aura Sphere.

Mention in a separate sentence that Knock Off is a big threat for Equilibra
Mention its lackluster Physical defense and how its threatened by Physical attackers such as...

Defensively, Mollux and Toxapex are good partners to Equilibra as they both resist Fighting, Fire and Water types while Equilibra can switch on Ground and Psychic attacks, which threaten them. Equilibra particularly appreciates Wish Clefable to keep it healthy, while covering the weaknesses of the latter to the Poison and Steel type attacks. Offensively, most powerful breakers Such as... take advantage of Doom Desire to ko even the most bulky Pokemon. The ones that benefit the most are Terrakion, as Doom Desire makes it impossible to pivot around Close Combat, Kyurem, as nothing can survive Freeze Dry and Doom Desire on the same turn, and Zeraora, which deters the Steel and Water types from coming to sponge Doom Desire.
Mention what kind of builds / Archetypes Equilibra fits best on (Balance, Bulky Offense and defensive builds)
Mention what Pokemon specifically threaten Equilibra and than provide answers to those with Pokemon.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[username1, userid1]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
Also make sure you add your Username and number to the credits. (User ID can be found on your profile page in the URL)

AM Check
Add, Remove, comment

I Highly recommend you take a look at some of my analysis in my signature and follow them through the QC process to get a feel for what the QC team might have you changed. When I started out writing this helped me a lot and thus I wrote better analysis. I'd recommend looking at Swanna as its the longest and probably my best written one. Sandslash is another good example.
Thank you for the AM check !
Do you really think Aura Sphere isn't worth mentioning ? It wins the mirror matchup and generally can help at dealing with stuff like Hydreigon and Rotom-Heat. I'll wait for the QC for this one. For the rest you're absolutely right (although Kyurem is very rarely modest).

Oh, and also I thought of mentioning its lack of physical bulk, but then I checked it and it's 102/96, which is almost the same as stuff like Corviknight and Mandibuzz, which isn't lacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: BP

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
[SET]
move 4: Flash Cannon / Aura Sphere / Protect / Pain Split

Swapping move order, fixing EV spread.

[SET COMMENTS]
Equilibra's great strength lies in its access to Doom Desire, which, coupled with its high special attack, gives it a chance to do serious damage to the opposing team every time it uses it. To achieve this it takes advantage of its good special bulk, its three immunities, to the Ground, Poison and Electric type, and its key resistance to the Fairy type to switch in on Jumbao, Clefable or Seismitoad. 16 evs in speed allows it to outspeed all Clefable sets that are not heavily invested in speed, giving it a better matchup against Calm Mind Clefable. The 132 evs in special attack allow it to ensure the 2hko on Dragapult with Earth Power and the ohko on Terrakion after the rocks with the same move. The rest of the evs are put in hp and special defense with Calm Nature to fulfill at best its role of special wall against Jumbao and Clefable, and to occasionally switch into stronger attackers like Kyurem and Hydreigon. Rapid Spin offers a good option to remove hazards, which Equilibra doesn't fear. Rework to fit fixed evs; avoid 2hko from band Syc, avoid 2hko from 0 spA mollux, rest in SpA with modest nature to max out power.

Equilibra suffers however from its lack of true healing moves, making it very dependent on Leftovers and Wish users to keep it alive, and often deterring it from coming in on powerful attackers like Aegislash, Dragapult or Hydreigon. The necessity of keeping the Leftovers makes it fear Knock-Off users like Toxapex and Mandibuzz. Thus Protect is an option to take better advantage of the Leftovers. It also has several key weaknesses, especially to the Fighting and Fire type, making many coverage moves threaten it with a 2hko, such as Fire Blast Dragapult, Flamethrower Clefable, or Close Combat Zeraora. Finally it lacks coverage, which prevents it from taking full advantage of its high special attack against Corviknight, Air Balloon Aegislash, Rotom-Heat, or even itself if it doesn't run Aura Sphere. Odd paragraph, shorten, basically keep it down to "lefties + wish mean it doesn't want to come in on super powerful hits"+ "don't get knocked + protect" + "Watch out for weaknesses'

Defensively, Mollux and Toxapex are good partners to Equilibra as they both check Fire and Fighting attackers like Rotom-Heat or Conkeldurr while Equilibra can switch on Ground attacks, which threaten them. Equilibra particularly appreciates Wish Clefable to keep it healthy, while covering the weaknesses of the latter to the Poison and Steel type attacks. Tomohawk switches particularly well on physical attackers that usually try to take advantage of Equilibra like Colossoil, Conkeldurr and Terrakion. Offensively, most powerful breakers take advantage of Doom Desire to ko even the most bulky Pokemon. The ones that benefit the most are Terrakion, as Doom Desire makes it impossible to pivot around Close Combat, Kyurem, as nothing can survive Freeze Dry and Doom Desire on the same turn, and Zeraora, which deters the Steel and Water types from coming to sponge Doom Desire. Shorten this offensive section; combine sentences. Therefore Equilibra fits best in Balance and Bulky Offense builds that intend to abuse those wallbreakers, as it gives an additional option to muscle through the opponent's team.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
Ok, suggesting fairly major changes so implement these and tag me and I'll give it a quick lookover and then stamp.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
"To achieve this it takes advantage of its good special bulk, its three immunities, to the Ground, Poison and Electric type, and its key resistance to the Fairy type to switch in on Pokemon like Jumbao, Clefable or Seismitoad."

Replace Seis for Coloss (?); we don't want newer players to have their libra take a scald, and while its not a good coloss switchin, it technically can do it.

"It's also weak to common coverage types in Fire and Fighting, making it fear things like Zeraora's Close Combat, Jumbao's Focus Blast or Dragapult's Fire Blast." reword this to emphasize that it has to be careful of coverage from stuff like Zeraora.

after this it works, QC 1/2

Replace Seis for Coloss (?); we don't want newer players to have their libra take a scald, and while its not a good coloss switchin, it technically can do it.
I'd rather take a Scald than a Colossoil Knock-Off... I will put Hippowdon.
Thx though

quziel

I am the Scientist now
Yeah, was just trying to think of an example that doesn't ya know, sorta beat you (as Seis carries knock or scald both of which ya hate).

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Equilibra's great strength lies in its access to Doom Desire, which, coupled with its high special attack, gives it a chance to do serious damage to the opposing team every time it uses it. To achieve this it takes advantage of its good special bulk, its three immunities, to the Ground, Poison and Electric type, and its key resistance to the Fairy type to switch in on Pokemon like Jumbao, Clefable or Hippowdon. 80 evs in Def avoid the 2hko from Choice Band Syclant's Icicle crash while 44 SpD allows Equilibra to take two Lava Plumes from Mollux. The rest of the evs are put in SpA which, along with the Modest nature, maximizes Equilibra's power. Rapid Spin offers a good option to remove hazards, which Equilibra doesn't fear. i'd rather you put this at the beginning, highlighting how Equilibra is one of the best spinners available

Equilibra is however very dependent on Leftovers and Wish users to keep it healthy, which often deters it from switching in on powerful attackers like Dragapult or Hydreigon as well as Knock-Off users like Toxapex and Mandibuzz. Thus Protect is an option to take better advantage of the Leftovers while scouting the opponent's move. i'd rather see something like "Protect allows Equilibra to recover with Leftovers while scouting for Knock Off from..." because it's too wordy otherwise Coverage moves like Zeraora's Close Combat or Dragapult's Fire Blast can be annoying for it. what is this sentence referring to? Finally its lack of coverage makes it toothless against Corviknight, Air Balloon Aegislash, Rotom-Heat, or even itself if it doesn't run Aura Sphere.

Defensively, Mollux and Toxapex are good partners to Equilibra as they both check Fire and Fighting attackers like Rotom-Heat or Conkeldurr while Equilibra can switch on Ground attacks, which threaten them. Equilibra particularly appreciates Wish Clefable to keep it healthy, while covering the weaknesses of the latter to the Poison and Steel type attacks. Tomohawk switches particularly well on physical attackers that usually try to take advantage of Equilibra like Colossoil, Conkeldurr and Terrakion. i'd move Tomohawk as first teammate because it's probably Equi's best partner Offensively, most powerful breakers take advantage of Doom Desire to ko even the most bulky Pokemon. Terrakion, Zeraora and Kyurem use it particularly well, as they threaten the Pokemon that want to sponge the Doom Desire like Equilibra, Toxapex or Arghonaut. Therefore Equilibra fits best in Balance and Bulky Offense builds that intend to abuse those wallbreakers, as it gives an additionnal option to muscle through the opponent's team. this last sentence is information that can go in the first few sentences of the analysis

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[quziel, 297859], [username2, userid2]]
This is looking really good so far!! However, I'd really like to see this structured a little bit more like this...

1) Equilibra's role in the metagame (Doom Desire + Rapid Spin, good support for offensive teammates, etc.)
2) Why Flash Cannon is the best option for the last slot, then go through each slashed move and why you'd run it
3) EV spread
4) Teammates

This structure makes things a little more organized and puts the most important information towards the top of the analysis. Once the analysis is restructured and the comments have been implemented, I'll take another look. Please feel free to PM me if I need to clarify anything or if you want some tips.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Equilibra's great strength lies in its access to Doom Desire, which, coupled with its high special attack, gives it a chance to do serious damage to the opposing team every time it uses it be a little more specific; DD is unique because it forces the opponent to play around it. It's also one of the best hazards removers in the metagame thanks Rapid Spin rather than mentioning spin here, mention its matchups with hazard setters it can force out or just the amount of switches it forces. could also mention how most ghost types don't like to switch in too. To achieve those two roles it takes advantage of its good special bulk, its three immunities, to the Ground, Poison and Electric type, and its key resistance to the Fairy type to switch in on Pokemon like Jumbao, Clefable or Hippowdon this only part of this sentence that really matters here is that equi can switch into bao / clef / hippo - the rest is basic info that can be found by looking at equi's statline / typing / abilities at the top of the page. the analysis feels a little long so i think this information is easy to cut. It fits particularly well on Balance and bulky Offense builds that try to abuse strong wallbreakers, as it it = doom desire gives them an additional option to muscle through the opponent's team.

Flash Cannon is definetly Equilibra's best option on the fourth moveslot, as it allows it to pressure fairy types like Clefable and Jumbao, preventing them from freely wishpassing to their teammates. It's also a good option in general to directly hit the Pokemon that don't fear Earth Power like Hydreigon or Tomohawk. Aura sphere comes first on the slashes, mention it first if it's better than protect, or slash protect first on the set if protect is better However it's not as mandatory as the other three moves, and you can for example run protect to optimize the Leftovers recovery while scouting for Knock off from Toxapex and Seismitoad or Choice attackers like Kyurem and Terrakion. Aura Sphere is mainly used for your Equilibra to check opposing Equilibra, but it's also usefull against Rotom-Heat and Hydreigon. Finally Pain Split is also an option to not get worn down too quickly does it help in any matchups in particular? haven't used split equi but just wondering.

80 evs in Def avoid the 2hko from Choice Band Syclant's Icicle crash while 44 SpD allows Equilibra to take two Lava Plumes from Mollux. The rest of the evs are put in SpA which, along with the Modest nature, maximizes Equilibra's power. you should be able to merge this bit with the last paragraph

Defensively, Tomohawk is probably Equilibra's best partner as it switches particularly well on physical attackers that usually try to take advantage of it like Colossoil, Conkeldurr and Terrakion. Mollux and Toxapex are also good partners for Equilibra as they both check Fire and Fighting attackers like Rotom-Heat or Conkeldurr idt either of these really check conk very well? while Equilibra can switch into Ground attacks, which threaten them. Equilibra particularly appreciates Wish Clefable to keep it healthy, while covering the weaknesses of the latter to the Poison and Steel type attacks. i think i'd move clefable up either before or after tomo because wish means this mon never dies Offensively, most powerful breakers take advantage of Doom Desire to ko even the most bulky Pokemon. Terrakion, Zeraora and Kyurem use it particularly well, as they threaten the Pokemon that want to sponge the Doom Desire like Equilibra, Toxapex or Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
Much, much better!! QC 2/2 after my second round of comments are implemented.

Don't forget to post this in the GP queue as well! Some small things to fix could be stuff like "80 evs in Def" -> "80 EVs in Defense"

GP 1/1
[SET]
move 4: Flash Cannon / Protect / Aura Sphere / Pain Split

[SET COMMENTS]
Equilibra's great strength lies in its access to powerful Doom Desire, which, (comma) coupled with its high special attack, forces the opponent to play carefully around it, and sometimes forces a KO alongside with a wallbreaker. It's also one of the best entry hazards removers in the metagame, (comma) as it scares out hazards setters like Tomohawk and Hippowdon. To achieve those two these roles, (comma) it switches in on Pokemon like Jumbao, Clefable, (comma) and or Hippowdon. It fits particularly well on balance and bulky offense builds that try to abuse make use of strong wallbreakers, as Doom Desire gives them an additional option to muscle through the opponent's team.

Flash Cannon is definitely Equilibra's best option on in the fourth moveslot, as it allows it to pressures Fairy-types like Clefable and Jumbao, preventing them from freely wishpassing Wish to their teammates. It's also a good option in general to directly hit the Pokemon that don't fear Earth Power like Hydreigon or and Tomohawk. However, (comma) it's not as mandatory as the other three moves, and you can for example run Protect to optimize the Leftovers recovery while scouting for Knock Off from Toxapex and Seismitoad or Choice-locked attackers like Kyurem and Terrakion. Aura Sphere is mainly used for your Equilibra to check opposing Equilibra, but it's also useful against Rotom-Heat and Hydreigon. Finally Pain Split is also an option to not get worn down too quickly. 80 EVs in Defense avoid the 2hko a 2HKO from Choice Band Syclant's Icicle Crash, while 44 Special Defense EVs allows Equilibra to take two Lava Plumes from Mollux. The rest of the evs are put in Special Attack which, along with the Modest nature, maximizes Equilibra's power.

Defensively, Tomohawk is probably Equilibra's best partner, (comma) as it's a particularly good switch-in to switches particularly well on physical attackers that usually try to take advantage of it Equilibra like Colossoil, Conkeldurr and Terrakion. Equilibra particularly appreciates Wish Clefable to keeping it healthy, (comma) while covering the weaknesses of the latter to the Poison and Steel type attacks and covers Clefable's Poison and Steel weaknesses. Mollux and Toxapex are also good partners for Equilibra as they both check Fire-type attackers like Rotom-Heat or and Chandelure while Equilibra can switches into threatening Ground-type attacks, which threaten them. Offensively, most powerful wallbreakers take advantage of Doom Desire to KO even the most bulky bulkiest Pokemon. Terrakion, Zeraora, (comma) and Kyurem use it particularly well, as they threaten the Pokemon that want to sponge the Doom Desire like Equilibra, Toxapex, (comma) and or Corviknight.

[CREDITS]

didn't post in the queue, lucky i felt like looking in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)