ORAS PU Equivalent Statements

I swear I have a reason for using Marshtomp on a team just hear me out please (also working on a new banner)

Introduction
Some weeks ago, when Rotom-F was everywhere, I went looking for things that could stop Volt Switch and not take much from Blizzard (I forgot about Chinchou). I went with Marshtomp because (1) its typing leaves with only one relatively easy to account for weakness, (2) its not that passive, hitting reasonably hard for a defensive pokemon, (3) it has some cool options in its movepool (I'm using Curse in this case, but it also has Stealth Rock, Yawn, and Roar), and (4) I really like Marshtomp. The nicknames I ultimately chose come from a table in my linear algebra textbook that just lists off the properties of invertible matrices, and seeing them every turn of what end up being pretty long battles has helped me memorize them.

Teambuilding Process

Starting with a rest-talk eviolite user, I knew I would need some kind of wish/clerical support. Audino was added to supply wish support, and act as a reliable special wall to take pressure off of Marshtomp to handle stuff like Floatzel or Altaria so it could focus on electric-types. Altaria was added next for clerical support, as well as act as a physical wall/Monferno/Machoke counter. Gourgeist was added to compensate for Altaria's relative passiveness against bulky boosting sweepers like SD Bouffalant, as well as act as a secondary answer to Machoke. Avalugg was added for hazard removal, I felt the team was Pawniard weak so Defogging wouldn't be that good. Lastly, Solrock was added for a secondary Monferno/Machoke answer, as well as setting SR which I lacked at this point. This version of the team wasn't particularly good (I added 4 physical walls consecutively), but it was at the very least a reasonable start.

(
) (
)
The old version of the team was relatively easy to overwhelm (strangely enough, haphazardly adding 4 physical walls doesn't necessarily give you much insurance against physical wallbreakers), and Mawile dropping gave me a good way to handle the more troublesome ones (as well as a better SR setter). Torkoal replaced Avalugg because I needed a way to handle opposing Mawile, and Avalugg wasn't spinning as reliably as I wanted it to (not that torkoal ended up being much better). This version of the team was better than the previous version, but was especially vulnerable to hazard stack teams and grass-types.

(
)
(
)

With Torkoal being bad at spinning, I needed a better way to remove hazards. Swanna replaced Altaria, as it handles most of the same pokemon, so I don't lose that much with that switch. Ninetales was added to give more special bulk, capitalizing on the grass-types that Marshtomp brings in, while also acting as a secondary win condition.

(
)

As per suggestions, Scarfed Monferno replaced Ninetales to give me a way to revenge kill threatening sweepers. Other changes include Encore on Audino, and EV changes on Swanna.

In-depth Analysis

"A ∈ R(nxn) is Invertible" (Marshtomp) @ Eviolite
Ability: Damp
Nature: Careful
EVs: 248 HP | 8 Atk | 252 SpD
Moves: Earthquake | Curse | Rest | Sleep Talk

The starting point of this team, and a fun pokemon to use, Marshtomp. Eviolite is to boost its reasonable bulk, and Damp is the only useable ability since I've got no Water-type moves. I went with a specially defensive spread since I'd be able to boost my physical defenses with Curse, and Marshtomp takes on most special attackers pretty well. Earthquake is powerful STAB and allows Marshtomp to deal with electric-types that it counters so well (and is reasonably powerful unboosted). Curse allows Marshtomp to set up on resisted hits or weaker attackers (like Gabite), and patches up its less-than-stellar defenses. RestTalk is Marshtomp's only form of recovery, which is important on a more defensive team like this. Earthquake or Sleep Talk could realistically be replaced by Waterfall, however it makes Marshtomp less able to deal with Electric-types that it is meant to counter (or useless while its asleep).

252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Marshtomp: 93-111 (27.1 - 32.3%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Marshtomp: 75-88 (21.8 - 25.6%) -- 60.2% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Kadabra Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Marshtomp: 84-100 (24.4 - 29.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock (Psyshock does some more and LO does a lot)
252+ SpA Regice Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Marshtomp: 82-97 (23.9 - 28.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock (LO sets get guaranteed 3hko)
252+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Marshtomp: 121-144 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

"rref(A) = In" (Audino) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Careful
EVs: 248 HP | 8 Atk | 252 SpD
Moves: Knock Off | Wish | Protect | Heal Bell Encore

Audino is like Chansey but better because it has a useable attack stat. Leftovers provides passive recovery, and Regenerator gives even more recovery on top of that for pivoting around. EVs maximize special bulk, not much special with this set. Knock Off helps against Machoke and Monferno switching in, removing their Eviolites and making them less threatening to go against, and is generally a useful move. Wish+Protect allows me to heal the members of the team lacking recovery like Mawile and Ninetales, as well as scout choiced pokemon. I'd love to run Encore in the last slot to prevent Audino from being setup fodder, but I need Heal Bell on this team so that takes up the last slot Turns out I don't need Heal Bell that much and Encore prevents Audino from being setup fodder. Audino is probably the most important member of this team in terms of keeping it from falling apart, if only it weren't so passive.

"rank(A) = n" (Swanna) @ Rocky Helmet Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP | 224 Def | 36 Spe 248 HP | 224 Def | 36 Spe
Moves: Scald | Hurricane | Roost | Defog

The mandatory bird of this team and defogger, Swanna. Physically defensive Swanna is a really cool set, considering its defense stat is crap but its typing is so useful. Rocky Helmet helps wear physical attackers like Monferno down so even if Swanna faints prematurely it'll at least be weakened Leftovers allow Swanna to repeatedly come in, and compensates for its low defensive stats. The EVs are meant to outspeed the odd Jolly Pawniard (lost to one once), in case it comes in on a Defog The EVs allow me to beat Adamant Monferno. STABs for Swanna are Scald, which burns everything, and Hurricane, which hits nothing, so they balance out. Roost allows Swanna to come in repeatedly and helps compensate for the lack of Leftovers, while Defog clears hazards that annoy this team so much. Being weak to SR is kind of annoying for something thats supposed to remove them, but other than that Swanna has been an excellent swap, thank you ShuckleDeath for suggesting it.

"ker(A) = {0}" (Gougeist-Super) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 SpD
Moves: Foul Play | Will-O-Wisp | Leech Seed | Synthesis

This thing has pretty much become mandatory to stop Machoke's DynamicPunch shenanigans, but its great at that (and also walling other physical attackers). Foul Play is to stop it from being setup fodder, and hits most frail threats pretty hard. Will-O-Wisp helps cripply physical attackers and gets chip damage water-types. Leech Seed helps provide more recovery to other pokemon, and forces switches. Synthesis doesn't see much use, as Gourgeist is usually kept in back if I absolutely need it for something, but has been handy when I have a turn to spare.

"∀b∃x : (Ax = b)" (Monferno) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spe
Moves: Close Combat | Flare Blitz | U-Turn | Thunder Punch or Mach Punch

Choice Scarf Monferno initially seemed like a strange option for this team, but it allows me to safely revenge kill setup sweepers like NP Simisage and Mr. Mime, whereas earlier I'd just keel over and die. EVs are to go as fast as possible, and the moves are pretty standard. I prefer Thunder Punch in the last slot as it allows me to hit Swanna who can get in the way of a Marshtomp sweep (though Mach Punch has been handy for Rock Polish stuff). Monferno also provides some defensive synergy like being able to force out Cryogonal and shakily deal with Roselia.

"∀b∃x : (Ax = b)" (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP | 240 SDef | 20 Spe
Moves: Flamethrower | Will-O-Wisp | Calm Mind | Substitute

Specially Defensive CM Ninetales seems like overkill and it kind of is with regards to special defense, but that special defense has won me games/setup opportunities. The EVs outspeed the Jolly Pawniard I'm so terrified of, while maximizing special defense to take on Roselia and Tangela. Flamethrower is the best STAB move for this set, unfortunately it doesn't get Lava Plume so I'm running Will-O-Wisp alongside it to cripple physical attackers and Politoeds on the switch. Substitute allows me to dodge status moves, and Calm Mind allows Ninetales to act as a win-con once fire resists/immunities go down (which is made much easier by Will-O-Wisp). After a Calm Mind boost, Ninetales is bulky enough to not let weaker STAB Scalds like Prinplup's break its substitutes, which also covers pokemon like Zebstrika.

"im(A) = Rn" (Mawile) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 Spe
Moves: Play Rough | Knock Off or Foul Play or Iron Head or Super Fang | Toxic | Stealth Rock

This is the drop I never knew I wanted so badly until it happened. Physically Defensive Mawile stops a ton of physical attackers in their tracks, between Intimidate, excellent typing, and good bulk to help stomach hits. 8 Speed EVs is for speed creep. Fairy STAB is to hit Machoke especially hard, and gets good neutral coverage. Knock Off and Foul Play have occupied the second slot, both have worked so its more a matter of preference (Super Fang allows for Mawile to pressure setup sweepers, taking massive chunks of health early on). Toxic is to put pokemon like Tangela, Stunfisk, and Gourgeist on a timer, since they love switching into Mawile. Stealth Rock is mandatory hazards, and Mawile can reliably set them against the pokemon it forces out.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-373997699 - Early stages of the team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-380680340 - Battle after change to Swanna
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-382956614 - Marshtomp sets up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-383474258 - Very long/stressful battle
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-386631755 - Post-Monferno addition

Threatlist
- Once Duosion gets going its kind of hard to stop unless you catch it with Encore. Ones with Acid Armor and Psychic you may as well forfeit to, Psyshock ones can be worked around with Marshtomp (granted either by PP Stalling or getting a crit, but it gets the job done).
- Encore ones are especially annoying because Scald burns everything because its a game of switching around and incuring damage, Specs sets are also annoying because of Scald, but are easier to deal with because I can at least Wish+Protect safely with Audino. My usual way to handle it is to make sure it gets burned by Ninetales, and then try to wear it down through little bits of chip damage, knocking off Leftovers if its got them and whatnot.
- Maybe not the biggest threat, but its on this list because of how easy it is for Rapidash to get free switch-in opportunities (and Flash Fire boosts) if I'm not careful. Marshtomp is the best answer I've got, but does not enjoy taking repeated Flash-Fire boosted Flare Blitzes, unless you want to risk losing Swanna to a well-timed Wild Charge, and the switch is pretty telegraphed.

Lastly, here's the importable with / without nicknames
Lastly, here's the updated importable with / without nicknames

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Fun team idea here Mango Smoothie, and your welcome.

Since you built around curse Marshtomp, I will exclude this from my rate. So being built around a mono-ground user I feel there are a few things you can do to improve your match up versus flying types as your only resist is worn down rather quickly. Now looking over your team I see a giant weakness to set-up Pokemon such as Raichu, Simisage . I think while a strange option but I feel a viable one here is Scarf Monferno over Ninetales.
This leaves you able to revenge kill these Mons(most need a bit of chip) but still helping out versus Grass and Fire types as well as things Like Pawniard and Mawile, while now checking set up Mons much better. Also Monferno will be luring in a lot of flying types that you can pressure with Mawile until you can eliminate them for Marshtomp.

I would also suggest Leftovers over Rocky Helmet on Swanna as this will ease in checking things like Machoke as even defensive Swanna is rather frail so passive recovery is key. I also feel that you should run Encore over Heal Bell on Audino. I feel your team while appreciating a cleric will benefit more from Encore as previously stated you are rather weak to set up Mons and this is an easy way to help with that match up.

So to recap changes.

--->

Rocky Helmet ---> Leftovers

Heal Bell ---> Encore

Monferno @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch / Mach Punch
- U-turn

So that's what I got, hope I helped.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, nice to see you post more rmt's

I like the cool twists and innovations, though the team still has the same weakness stall usually does, ie wallbreakers like NP Mime and NP Simisage. I think Shuckledeath has the right idea for a change, i.e. replacing Ninetales, which i feel is the weakest member of the team as Mawile isn't an uncontrollable problem with Swanna and marshtomp, and also it seems to be deadweight vs most matchups. On this team I think Jumpluff would be a cool replacement due to its ability to revenge kill the main threats to the team, while providing defensive support with stuff like checking +2 Monferno, which can still get out of hand as defensive swanna seems to be a breaking point in these types of teams. Another thing I think you should try is Super Fang on Mawile, in the Foul Play/Knock Off slot, as it puts a lot of pressure on defensive walls and defensive set up sweepers, giving you a nicer matchup against other bulkier teams, especcially paired with toxic.

I like Shuckledeaths other suggestions, as Swanna really appreciates lefties.

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Mawile
Super Fang

Thank you guys for the rates/suggestions, I've been trying the out and I've got some results.

Encore over Heal Bell has been useful, Marshtomp and Audino can take most status moves pretty well, and this has prevented me from getting floored by Duosions immediately. Leftovers > Rocky Helmet has also been really helpful, I do miss the chip damage from time to time but eh it is what it is. As for which one (Jumpluff or Monferno) to replace Ninetales, I'm going to have to go with Monferno for this one. Both of them did well when I tried them out, but with Jumpluff I lose the ability to handle the faster threats like +2 Gorrebyss (and scarfers) and also just end up with a nasty weakness to Freeze Dry (and Cryogonal for that matter). I'll update the OP with the changes hopefully soon.

Also here is a replay of a battle showing some of Audino with Encore (as well as Marshtomp setting up and PP Stalling Duosion): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-386631755

Last edited:
just a thought

run 248 hp / 232 def / 24 speed timid on swanna to outspeed adamant ferno, a little more if you want to outpace gabite

that's all, this team looks great :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)